Mad Trapper 13-Apr-24
mountainman 13-Apr-24
Grey Ghost 13-Apr-24
Stubbleduck 14-Apr-24
stagetek 14-Apr-24
12-Apr-24

bghunter's embedded Photo
bghunter's embedded Photo
I started an earlier thread on a new bow case. While it's amazing what you find in your house. I found my old cabelas rolling duffle.

Attached is a pic of my bow in the bottom. The bottom and sides are hard plastic. I plan on packing clothes sleeping bag etc, or maybe add extra foam velcro in the bottom and clothes etc.

You guys have any other tips you have used when using such a case?

I can fit a ton in here and duffle empty only weighs about 11lbs

12-Apr-24
I custom cut a piece of 1” hard foam insulation and put in the bottom of my duffel, then set my bow on top of that, to hopefully give it a little bit more protection. Not sure if it’s really needed.

12-Apr-24
T Roy,

Thanks. I forgot to mention I ordered the new KUIU soft bow case and might put my bow in that too.

Also going to wrap my sight pins in foam

12-Apr-24
I take my sight off and wrap it up in some clothes separately, just to be safe.

12-Apr-24
i hunt with a take down recurve . i use a rolling golf hard case . i can fit all my clothes ,arrows . bow and extra set of limbs , with all the other equipment i need. won't work with the kick stand machines but great for t.d. recurve

12-Apr-24
Thats why I figured I would wrap the site with some extra foam.

12-Apr-24

JTreeman's embedded Photo
JTreeman's embedded Photo
Well I’m glad the recurve guys have reminded us how superior they are again.

I agree with T-Roy. I have a piece of eggcrate foam cut to fit the bottom. Sure I lose a bit of volume and weights a little. I can get more weight in it than the airline allows anyway. I don’t remove sight, makes me too nervous, but I know guys who do. Remove quiver and stabilizer and pack it in tight especially the ends and the sight area. I do usually also use the Kuiu sting cover, but don’t consider it essential.

I pack all my clothes around it, some misc gear and additional clothes in the top section. This basic set-up had been with me on probably 100’s of thousands of air miles. Great compromise of protection and convenience to me.

—Jim

12-Apr-24
Jim

Thanks for the photos. I to am a little nervous about removing the sight.

Glad I found this duffle saved me money on a new case.

12-Apr-24
I also take my sight off. About five years ago I had mine bent while in transport. Took quite a bit of effort to get it close for my hunt. Taking it off and wrapping the sight guarantees no troubles.

12-Apr-24
Tips; Yeah, have a goof proof packing system......assume TSA will just throw everything back in there cattywampus.

I like the rolling duffles- Nomad- but pack my bow in a softcase inside to protect Cams, strings and cables. Then I pack bow tools and such in Ziplocks.

12-Apr-24
There’s certainly no problem taking a site off and putting it back on how is that in anyway going to create an issue for your accuracy that’s much safer than potentially having it and that is the one part of the boat protrudes the most

12-Apr-24
I’ve never used the soft case always the SKB on wheels. Do you guys use the soft cases? Let people know that there’s a bow in there

I’m assuming many don’t and I’m just curious how big a problem it would be when that thing is x-rayed someone’s gonna feel the traveler is not forthcoming and the transportation of a weapon.

You guys do it this way have the experience and no best. I’m just wondering about the problems renegade inspector would have discovering something as opposed to the contents of a carrier being disclosed proactively.

12-Apr-24
I certainly don’t tell the airline employ a damn thing when I check it in. It’s none of their business and against no airline rule.

Now if you are asking if I declare it to customs, that seems to be more of a gray area. I’ve done both but generally declare and specify in no uncertain terms it’s a BOW. But I’ve also been told by customs officers it’s not necessary to declare. But then again I’ve been scolded by other customs officers for not declaring it. So who knows…

—Jim

12-Apr-24
And to add to my previous post when buddies travel with me and have big hard cases (SKB etc) they consistently catch more flack and have more issues than me with my little black rolling duffle bag.

—Jim

12-Apr-24
There is something about a case that looks other then a golf case, that makes airlines freak out.

12-Apr-24
I also use a rolling SKB case...remove and wrap the sight, quiver and stabilizer in hunting clothes for air travel. Purchased a Badlands Terraglide a few years ago, but could not comfortably fit my bow in that rolling case. My last two flights have resulted in busted heavy duty storage totes...so I have zero desire to put my bow in a soft case or duffel due to lack of trust with airline baggage handlers.

12-Apr-24
Treeman, what was the problem with the recurve post that warranted your dick response?

12-Apr-24
I've used the extra-large Cabelas Ripcord rolling duffel for 7 years. Use a Cabelas neoprene bow sling that covers the strings and cables, then put the bow in a fitted soft case with some gloves or socks around the cams and arrow rest. I do remove the bowsight and put it in carry on with the optics and electronics. Arrows minus broadheads go in a PVC tube that goes in it's separate soft case compartment along with the Tight Spot quiver. Broadheads go in a rigid plastic jar with foam in it if fixed blades or stood up in a prescription pill bottle if expandables. Sometimes I carry a second spare bow in the softcase which is made to handle two bows.

I pack coats, pants, socks etc around the bow, also the sleeping bag, boots, frame backpack, daypack etc under and over the bow for more protection. With a 10# case, I can get virtually all my stuff in the rolling duffel bag except for carry-on and be 49.5#s. I do carry a simple lightweight nylon duffel as sometimes the airlines would prefer two lighter bags. I try to check in early and ask them about their preference.

Never had an ounce of trouble with the duffel bag with bow except the Northern Territory, Australia requires it to be padlocked...simple to lock the two zippers together on mine. I had trouble finding a padlock in the airport so I will travel with one in the future.

12-Apr-24
I use a Terraglide or Legend Everest, I never volunteer what's in them. If they ask I say archery equipment. I've never had a problem as far as once it gets to the xray machine other than the guy in Toronto that asked how he could be sure it wasn't loaded...

Treeman goes by so many names....

12-Apr-24
I do have an arrow case for my arrows, but never thought about the padlock for the zippers, I will have to look into that.

12-Apr-24
“ won't work with the kick stand machines but great for t.d. recurve”

I’m assuming you read that part of it? Maybe it was a joke. Maybe he’s like a good bit of people here: Tired of hearing it. Who knows. Maybe you didn’t read that part of it.

12-Apr-24

Treeman, what was the problem with the recurve post that warranted your dick response?

I’d say when he said “it won’t work with the kickstand machines”

It was a worthless post that had nothing to do with the question. And it was condescending.

This from a guy, me, who hunted with stickbows exclusively for 20 years. Life member and oast board member of multiple bowhunting and trad bowhunting organizations.

One, actually many, should think before they speak and make sure they contribute positively when they do.

Is that clear enough? Not speaking for JTTree of course, just my own observation on “dick” responses to use your vernacular.

12-Apr-24
To answer the question, I just don’t trust the rolling duffle if I travel with a compound. I used a Sitka Nomad like that once and I did not feel comfortable. If I were found to use a two tier duffle like that I would fill the bottom with boots and gear and clothes and put the bow in the top section with more clothes for padding.

I picked up a “lite” SKB bowcase for compound travel. Still can put clothes in and not get to 50# and there is a LOT more structure and protection for the bow.

12-Apr-24
Gileguy…..my guess it was the “kickstand” comment. I interpreted it the same way as Treeman.

12-Apr-24
My procedure is to place my bow, with sight removed, in a Primos sling, then in a soft case, then in a Badlands Terraglide, with clothes packed above and below. Never had a problem with any bow damage. And like several guys stated above, I never mention what's in the case, unless I'm asked, which I rarely ever have been. Every so often they'll put the case in "oversize" luggage, but usually it comes out of the carousel with normal luggage. I usually go ahead and declare "archery gear" when going into foreign countries due to the question of "weapon" on the declaration form. I do intentionally avoid a few specific stopover cities, where problems have been reported in the past.

12-Apr-24
I’ve flown all over North America (20+ flights) with Terraglide and never had any damage to the bow or attached accessories. I covered the bottom with a section of closed-cell foam sleeping pads and use a padded sling around the cabling and cams for protection. If breathing bring a sleeping bag I typically wrap my bow in that long-wise and/or pack clothes around the bow. Never have taken the sight off and never had a problem. Have used a Kuiu sight cover or a sock to protect the fibers though.

13-Apr-24
Soft case is definitely best.

The 25 pound SKB or pelicans are over kill. And if traveling over seas. Your bow will end up in the rifle room. Adding hassle and delays.

A 4457 customs form is easy to get if worried about customs asking if you bought the bow abroad

13-Apr-24
Have always used an skb double case and fly with 2 bows. Only ever needed the backup bow once. Probably only going to take one bow on most hunts going forward. Has anyone tried the Easton Bowtruk? It is a bit lighter than the skb’s.

13-Apr-24
Trapper I bought a bowtruk last year. I have used it on two traveling hunts. One Alaska and one international. I can say I absolutely love it.

It protects the bow great, lots of room to pack clothes around the bow. Access from exterior to the compartments on top is very handy. It as a specific compartment for an arrow tube. It is extremely well made. After the two trips it still looks new.

13-Apr-24

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
I've been using this Cabelas rolling duffle for almost 20 years. It has the hard-sided lower compartment, like the OP's, for bows, fly rods, and other gear. I really like the leather straps that allow you to synch the bag tight, so nothing moves around. It's been the best piece of luggage I've ever owned.

14-Apr-24
Badlands "Terraglide" works great. I put two bows (Gearhead Disrupter 24's) in mine padded with assorted camo type clothing. Minneapolis to Johannesburg and return nobody, airlines or customs said anything. I just checked it in as baggage and retrieved from the baggage carosel.

14-Apr-24
Safari Tuff makes a nice one. Not a roller though.

• Sitka Gear