Sitka Gear
Remember the 36" mark for big bears!
Bears
Contributors to this thread:
welka 13-Apr-24
Mike Ukrainetz 13-Apr-24
bghunter 14-Apr-24
13-Apr-24
Just a reminder for all hoping for a big bear this spring. Borrowing this learning from Mike U - remember that a big black bear boar's back will be above the top of a 55 gallon drum. Since a drum is 33.5" high, I try to remember to measure where 34-36" is on my pants/body and then go mark it on a couple of trees close to the bait. Helps make sure you don't shoot a sow or a smaller bear if you are after the big boy. Hope this helps and good luck to all.

13-Apr-24

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
36 inch tall to the shoulder for ground blinds and 5 feet long for tree stands.
Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
36 inch tall to the shoulder for ground blinds and 5 feet long for tree stands.
Thanks Greg, here’s a picture showing it. We like to use a white topped post so that when a boar walks in front of it the whole post disappears, not one inch is left, that’s a shooter, especially if he’s got a slight belly hang like this guy.

The bottom of the white is 30” tall which is the height of most mature sows, rarely will they top 32”. They will have some belly hang too at the 30-32” mark. We purposely kill some sows so we like to have the 30” mark set out too.

For hunting out of a tree stand we prefer a 5 ft long log on the ground. Preferably a a couple of big, white poplar trees that don’t get moved around into poorly angled positions. For us a 4+ yr old, for sure Pope and Young (18+ inch skull) class bear, will be as long as the log, butt to eyeballs. A 5+ yr old, 19+ inch head bear will be 5 1/2 ft and have a bit of a belly. That’s a shooter for us, we like to give the 4 yr olds one more year of growth.

14-Apr-24
Great information. I also like the set up it looks like you have to get the bear in a good shooting position.

• Sitka Gear