Olde style 23-Apr-24
Tater 23-Apr-24
WV Mountaineer 23-Apr-24
DonVathome 23-Apr-24
Nyati 23-Apr-24
Mint 25-Apr-24
Will 25-Apr-24
23-Apr-24
This subject is from reading -parents decision to allow his daughter to use a crossbow.I am a product of a family that believes in ourselves and do not behave by what others think.I am also blessed to have lived in rural America with out the pressure of folks that know better and dictate our lifestyle. Chess has taught me and my family to ALWAYS have options and backup plans for everything in life .My children started hunting with slingshots,pellet guns,rifles,crossbows,vertical bows, pistols.Each was taught the easy and the hard way and at the same time their responsibilities to the respect of all living animals in the forests. God has given them the natural ability to understand the pride in oneself in doing the right things in life to be happy in their bodies and mind.Chess just teaches them there are always other options in life.We hunt/fish/garden/butcher/ can/ home school/make our own medicine/make clothes,shoes /make bows-arrows-bullets-powder- forge-weld-purify water-shelter above and below ground-generated electricity and learn to store it- mason-electric-carpentry-and the list goes on and on. This was for both boys and girls .Any government is solely dedicated to self preservation at any cost including it’s own people and are opposed to people like my family.Too many people choose the easy way with others doing Their work for them.Some are waking up to the SYSTEM-school,food and water sources,medical,housing,etc. The world is getting smaller and smaller as far as infringements from government and technology running one’s life so I understand the concern of many.I do not understand the idea of money and social recognition having anything to do with happiness with people that are not liked minded as you. Both my son and daughter have decided to come back to this rural area after seeing that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side .They both feel that they are outsiders and many look down on them for their self sufficient lifestyle.The son is worried because his children could be removed because of the things this country were founded on.Scary stuff coming as I believe this government and others are on their last legs and are pushing for total control because they know better —than the system they themselves created. My granddaughter will be hunting deer this year with a crossbow mounted on a monopod at the age of 10.She will be fine as she also shoots stickbow but realizes she is not able to take a deer humanly so chess has taught her of other options and her pride and ambitions plus work ethic with the help thru GOD and family. I say let them hunt young ,often,and with whatever works for them.Do not teach them only one way teach them all the ways.Teach them to strive and push forward and to be proud of their achievements to do it for themselves.No free anything in life- No trophy for everyone-no opinions from others/ just teach them options and the pride in themselves to achieve their goals which are instilled by the parents. I think chess teaches you to look forward for situations so you can keep yourself moving forward as long as possible.The more one plays the more one gains confidence in oneself which carries over in life also. GOD bless all

23-Apr-24
This group mostly plays checkers

23-Apr-24
good stuff old style...tough to read without paragraph breaks but good stuff just the same. I was especially drawn to this statement...

"Each was taught the easy and the hard way and at the same time their responsibilities to the respect of all living animals in the forests."

i think its funny that when i go to a traditional archery shoot...and quite often listen to the usual suspects droning on and on about how "what bow hunting was supposed to be"...and how compounds and crossbows "are just the easy way out."

then i watch them shoot...and the second half of your statement comes to mind. the part about "respect for all living animals."

i would much rather see a person take "the easy way out" with a crossbow than to wound a half dozen deer per season while patting themselves on the back for "hunting the hard way."

thats neither chess or checkers...its really not a game at all.

23-Apr-24
"i would much rather see a person take "the easy way out" with a crossbow than to wound a half dozen deer per season while patting themselves on the back for "hunting the hard way."

This is an excellent point. I know a lot of people who switched from a high tech compound bow to a high tech crossbow, and one of the things many of them say is that they wound less deer with the crossbow, and it only makes sense. Sure you'll have the crossbow using outliers that take 60+ yard shots at game, but after doing that a couple times most realize that a crossbow bolt does not make it to a deer at that distance anywhere close to as fast as a bullet, and they tend to make a change and keep their shots closer. A little trial and error, as most of us dealt with when we started hunting.

"i think its funny that when i go to a traditional archery shoot...and quite often listen to the usual suspects droning on and on about how "what bow hunting was supposed to be"...and how "compounds and crossbows" are just the easy way out. then i watch them shoot...and the second half of your statement comes to mind. the part about "respect for all living animals."

Hard not to agree with that either, personally I think a large percentage of those flinging arrows at live game with an antiquated recurve or long bow are not proficient enough to be doing it, but it seems the urge to do it the hard way (to prove something I guess) is more important to some than the risk of a wounded suffering animal.

To the OP I'm glad you're letting/and helping your granddaughter hunt in a way she is comfortable with and is more likely to provide satisfying results with less chances of her wounding and losing an animal. From reading this forum I'm sure there are some folks that would be forcing her to use a vertical bow and if she won't they'd be making her wait until she's 18 to make her own decision, and chances are by then she'd say screw it and throw in the towel on hunting in general. Kudos to you for not being an idiot.

23-Apr-24
This is her father that will be taking her.She has been hunting with her father since 5-6 years old out of a blind to understand what it means to take a deer or turkey.That is another good point - we start very early teaching the children about weapons and animals- when I was in construction I meet several people that wanted to hunt after seeing my equipment and went out and purchased ( usually the newest fastest bow ) and started that way.Some wanted hunting areas that were private and some I helped until one fellow took a shot at a deer standing 15 yards in front of me and his arrow landed on the ground in front of me after hitting several branches first.When we got back to the truck I told him the story and he told me he took the shot 45 yds away - I asked if he saw me sitting on the ground chair and he said yes and couldn’t figure out why I didn’t take the shot.The buck was 30 yards and coming in but he never saw that deer..He had no idea what he did wrong in so many ways and that was the last time I hunting with a new hunter.—much more than just buying equipment and going into the woods. Some things can’t be bought and some need to ingrained from a young age.Just my opinion some new hunters do just fine starting later in life because they learned respect -common sense thru other means

23-Apr-24
Well said HunterR

23-Apr-24
Cross bows become legal to hunt a concurrent season several years ago. 5 guys I know bought crossbows to replace the vertical bow.

Just like years previous, they all shot deer. But, I’ll leave it at this as it is a world wide forum. But, everyone of them wounded deer that year. Their percentages haven’t improved either.

23-Apr-24
JohnMC that was funny.

23-Apr-24
In WV the legislature made crossbows legal. At least what in my opinion was to increase hunter participation. State game and fish agencies need license sales and the federal PR associated money in order to operate and function. What we have seen is not a large influx of new hunters but instead a lot of vertical bow hunters switching to crossbows. Total deer harvest has remained relatively the same. While license sales didn’t have a huge jump there was probably a bump in PR money from large increase in sales of crossbows. But the biggest increase in PR money (almost double) has come from increased gun and ammo sales last 4 years.

25-Apr-24
I think it's funny where you have some hunters bashing traditional bowhunters but then they expect the same traditional bowhunters to support them in their choice of weapon otherwise they are dividing the community. They simple fact is that some hunters can't let an animal pass without shooting way beyond their distance no matter the weapon. One of my friends switched to compound since he wasn't consistent with the recurve anymore and another switched to the crossbow since he had a shoulder replacement. I'm glad they can still hunt and they both know their effective range.

25-Apr-24
I've played a little chess, but it was never really a game that was played in my house growing up or among any of my friends. We were always outside playing sports, riding bikes, fishing, getting lost in the woods (sorta), and whatnot. When I was inside, I was reading books, tying flies (started in 3rd grade) for myself and local adults as a little side job. Add in shoveling snow for the folks in the neighborhood, mowing lawns, and whatnot, and chess never became more than a passing thing.

We have tried to introduce it to our kids, but they have never seemed super into it either.

It's a really cool game. We just aren't into it.

Some people have WAY to high an impression of their abilities with a bow, and choose to shoot as such. It's really sad to see.

26-Apr-24
"I think it's funny where you have some hunters bashing traditional bowhunters but then they expect the same traditional bowhunters to support them in their choice of weapon otherwise they are dividing the community."

not sure if this is in reference to what I posted above but if so i wasnt bashing traditional bowhunters...why would i...i am one. :)

i was simply pointing out the dichotomy between the shooting ability of some of the people who rant about what "bowhunting was supposed to be"...and having "respect for all living animals."

im sure the same dichotomy exists at compound shoots...i just dont go to them.

• Sitka Gear