spike78 25-Apr-24
Will 25-Apr-24
Ace 25-Apr-24
Wildan2 25-Apr-24
redneck hunter 25-Apr-24
dnovo 25-Apr-24
KHNC 25-Apr-24
24-Apr-24
kind of a long hyperlink address but an interesting article on turkey populations.

https://theconversation.com/wild-turkey-numbers-are-falling-in-some-parts-of-the-us-the-main-reason-may-be-habitat-loss-220510?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Science%20Editors%20Picks%20%20April%2024%202024%20-%202949229979&utm_content=Science%20Editors%20Picks%20%20April%2024%202024%20-%202949229979+CID_a0a5417d1f9ddcce21c794057ca5b016&utm_source=campaign_monitor_us&utm_term=Wild%20turkey%20numbers%20are%20falling%20in%20some%20parts%20of%20the%20US%20%20the%20main%20reason%20may%20be%20habitat%20loss

24-Apr-24
Thanks for posting. Years ago they reintroduced turkeys on long Island and last year they opened it up to take one Tom in the spring season. Our population is growing and it is fantastic to see birds while out scouting etc. One thing that might help that i have noticed is that the pine beetle or fungus is killing off a lot of our pine forest areas which in turn lets in light and cover takes over. Unfortunately as a nation most think our population needs to keep growing for a reason and that means more land used for housing , warehouses, stores etc.

24-Apr-24
The SCDNR recently reduced the gobbler limit from 5 to 2. This year they discussed shortening the season.

20 years ago the auto insurance companies successfully lobbied the SCDNR to introduce coyotes in the state to reduce the deer population and thereby reduce auto-deer collisions. Now the coyotes are out of control, and the brilliant minds at DNR can't figure out what's happening to the wild turkeys.

Here's a clue: Same thing that's happening to thousands of deer fawns, your neighbor's pet cat, and your other neighbor's chihuahua.

24-Apr-24
The turkey population at my place started plummeting around 5-6 years ago with no explanation. There were actually less coyotes than previous years when the turkeys were thick. And it wasn't from hunting pressure. Fortunately, the turkeys made a nice comeback. They've been everywhere this year. Nice to see.

24-Apr-24
Mint, don't you know we MUST control EVERYTHING to carrying capacity except ourselves? I always love how most never pick up on the term carrying capacity when game is managed. Its a never ending revolving door. As urban sprawl grows, habitat shrinks, which in turn simply means there's less habitat. All of a sudden the game population is over objective and must be reduced . This is a never ending cycle that I am not sure how to fix. It would be nice if all states conservation efforts were like Missouri, funded by a small portion of all sales tax.

I don't like big Govt, but I believe the best chance we have at maintaining undeveloped habitats is if the states/Govt owned more land. It is too easy for private parcels to sell off to developers for major profit and or cause hunting to become a rich mans game as places to hunt diminish over time.

24-Apr-24
Ha! In CT you can shoot 5 birds in the spring and another 5 in the fall. They want them all eliminated. It’s CRAZY.

24-Apr-24
Turkeys love urban sprawl. Urban sprawl isn't reducing turkey numbers. That's why mostly urban states like Ct have so many turkeys. It's the more rural states that can have habitat loss when farming practices wipe out turkey habitat.

24-Apr-24
Raccoons and eagles do the most damage around here imo

24-Apr-24

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
I have observed coyotes stocking hens during the spring mating season. Got this shot a few weeks ago. Coyote glanced at the car and went right back to stalking.

25-Apr-24
Aspen, many states in the south that don't have much farming have had big population drops. They do well in some populated areas like CT due to varying reasons and then not so well in non populated areas. But, in the end more cement overall will mean less wildlife.

25-Apr-24
I haven't turkey hunted the last two years. The areas in Oklahoma I hunt that used to have great turkey hunting have had a population crash. It's pretty bad.

25-Apr-24
I don’t plan on hunting much here in MA this year the population on my end is low and it seems all the turkeys are on the posted lands. I managed one last year but out of 5 spots I heard a total of 1 gobble.

25-Apr-24
Here (MA) and the north east in general we had a super wet spring last year which may have reduced poult survival... it does seem like there may be fewer birds this year (young birds like Jakes). We have decent numbers, but it's seemed down the past 5-6 years. Though Ill admit that if you drive through parts of Boston, Cambridge and other areas inside our "beltway" road where there are way more humans than land, there are more turkey's too. I appreciate the article Stubble - interesting to read.

Blood that's mental about CT. I knew it was a liberal bag limit, but didnt realize it was that liberal. WOW!

Sundowner, are you being serious? I've never heard of a state anywhere introducing coyotes for any reason? The dang things just thrive every and anywhere. Heck, my mother in law's condo on the water in St.Pete Beach has resident coyotes that sometimes are seen on security cam footage strolling through the garage under her tower, or walking around on the golf courses and even along the edge of the bay. The darn things can live anywhere there is oxygen it seems.

25-Apr-24
Yeah we have SO many birds here in CT (sarcasm) that you can shoot 10 per year as Blood said!. Of course the Regulation change (to 5 in the spring) was made over the strong Objection of the Turkey Biologist and WITHOUT a population study. Oh yeah, you can also hunt all day (until Sunset) now, and hell you can even shoot them all the same day and from the same flock! You know, so you can post the pictures on Facebook and show everyone what a great hunter you are. (yesterday was opening day and someone shot 5 Jakes) Non residents can buy a 3 day license, a Turkey tag (for the same cost as a resident) and blast away! About 95% of the hunters I talk to think out turkey population is decreasing, what could possibly go wrong?

Of course our Deer regulations are pretty much the same, get your unlimited replacement tags and SHOOT THEM UP!

Please don't think I'm only blasting our DEP, we have some great Biologists, it's just that the guys further up the leadership food chain, don't listen to them. Hell recent research shows that we have the densest Bobcat population ever studied anywhere. Do you think they'll recommend a season? Don't hold your breath. Bears too, in some areas hunters see more bears than deer, the Agency gives a tepid endorsement to a hunting season.

25-Apr-24
Northern NY;we used to have a robust turkey population;stocked in 1979+1980 mostly as an after thought in our area.They did very well for many years.Not so much any more,,haven't hunted them in many years. Bobcat,raccoon,skunks and possum populations are way up;also have lots of coyotes and few bear.With the drop in fur prices ;turkey population has dropped.

25-Apr-24
If your state allows corn feeders and there is no aggressive trapping of nest predators, turkey populations will fall and remain low.

25-Apr-24
I've noticed a good increase in turkey numbers around my place since I've been doing nuisance trapping for raccoons. It's helped a lot.

25-Apr-24
Sundowner "The SCDNR recently reduced the gobbler limit from 5 to 2. This year they discussed shortening the season." - True "20 years ago the auto insurance companies successfully lobbied the SCDNR to introduce coyotes in the state to reduce the deer population and thereby reduce auto-deer collisions. Now the coyotes are out of control, and the brilliant minds at DNR can't figure out what's happening to the wild turkeys." -Total Absolute BULL shit!

However, coyotes are out of control though. Main reason for reduced turkeys in SC, are nest robbers. Coons, opossom's , bobcats, snakes, and coyotes. All lay it to the turkeys. My farm is in one of the top 5 turkey counties in the state. Can barely see a bird on the place, even with great habitat. Some sort of disease has also reduced populations drastically as well.

• Sitka Gear