Mike Ukrainetz 19-May-24
Sam 19-May-24
07-May-24

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Mason and dad John Hubbard from Texas
Mason and dad John Hubbard from Texas

Mike Ukrainetz's Link
Mason Hubbard got our first bear of the year on the first evening hunt, Monday, May 6 with his bow. One perfect 15 yard shot from a wooden ground blind and the bear didn’t go 30 yds. He ran a little bit at the shot, stopped, looked around, then lay down and breathed his last.

20 1/16 green score skull, 7 ft 1 in square hide and weighing 340 lbs. Probably a 5 1/2 year old boar, maybe 6 1/2. I would have to go through last years trail camera pics on this bait to figure it out better. It’s the perfect size we like to kill. All 5 hunters in camp are sitting on baits with this class of bear or bigger on trail cam. John and his group have hunted with us several times. Hopefully more big bears to come…

07-May-24
Awesome bear congrats to the hunter.

07-May-24
You definitely nail some real brutes, and have this bear thing figured out. Congrats to Mason!!

07-May-24
LFG!!!

07-May-24
The classy Trophy Photos are a treat every year. Stack em up.

07-May-24

340 lbs with the Rehor Roof, for the walk in cooler, in the background!
340 lbs with the Rehor Roof, for the walk in cooler, in the background!

07-May-24

Found the 2nd one shot yesterday evening! Took awhile today to find it…

07-May-24
Awesome, way to stick with the tracking and see all those smiling faces for your efforts!!

07-May-24
Heading up to hunt with Gerard that first week of June at Eagle eye, been waiting for these pics to start coming in!

Great first couple of Bears, keep em coming

07-May-24
One of the best threads of the year! Thanks for this…Keep it coming please, Mike!

07-May-24
Thanks guys!

And Footshooter, you are going to have an awesome hunt! That area has been barely hunted for 4 years.

07-May-24
Great start Mike! Congrats to Mason and finding the second bear.

07-May-24
Looking forward to this thread again this year, Mike! Good luck to all your hunters!

07-May-24
Good bears ! Congrats to hunters.

07-May-24
One of my favorite threads of the year.

07-May-24
Thanks Matt. That is a surprise

08-May-24
WTG Great Pics

08-May-24
Hope you have a great season Mike, one of my favorite threads of the year!

08-May-24
Awesome! Gona have to keep an eye on this one.

08-May-24

Son Tyler with one of our bear proof, box blinds after he finished screwing it together. We use these at every site, 6 by 6 foot interior. It’s the perfect stealthy set up, out of the rain and wind.
Son Tyler with one of our bear proof, box blinds after he finished screwing it together. We use these at every site, 6 by 6 foot interior. It’s the perfect stealthy set up, out of the rain and wind.
Last spring I got to spend 8 days with my 16 yr old daughter Brooke getting all the baits set up. This year our 15 year old son Tyler got to come along and skip school for 10 days of manual labor. These are long, tough days, 12 -14 hours of daily work getting all 30 of our bait sites established. We have to assemble all the box blinds, often rebuild the back wall of the bait and bring in a few hundred lbs of meat scraps, oats, used cooking grease, honey, popcorn, licorice bricks and beavers into every site. We stack it up for the beginning.

If we get 5 baits done in one day that’s a great day. This year we had some days where we only got 2-3 baits setup in a long day’s work. The trails in were covered with downed trees from windstorms in the winter. We also had a few spots completely burned out from last year’s forest fires, and some of those places also got logged out to salvage what trees they could. What a mess! The guides and Tyler got it done though!

08-May-24
It was a great education in the real world of work for our son. I think every young man should have to do a job of manual labor for awhile, especially working alongside other good young men as role models.

08-May-24
You certainly go to great lengths for your hunters. Nice to see that kind of effort and work ethics, and it's paying dividends with your hunters success on mature bears!!!

08-May-24

The crew in front of a crib, me, Cody, Tyler, Gavin and Jackson.
The crew in front of a crib, me, Cody, Tyler, Gavin and Jackson.
The broadside positioning crib is probably the biggest pain in the butt to fix every year, or rebuild in some cases with the fires or logged out areas.

08-May-24

Tyler and Mike
Tyler and Mike
We set up every bait site the same, it’s like going to McDonald’s you know exactly what you are getting and it’s the same for everyone!

A 2 person box blind, where you sit in perfect hiding, unseen from the bears, in comfy lawn chairs out of the rain, wind and sun, set up 15-20 yards from our broadside positioning crib, beaver box and main barrels.

Each bait has 2 white topped posts, 36” tall. A shooter male bear must be as tall to the shoulders as the post, not an inch shorter. Then there is a meat barrel filled with butcher cut meat scraps, another barrel with popcorn and licorice bricks and another one with oats and used cooking grease. There is also a beaver cage so the bears have to rip it apart to get it out. We use about 300 beavers a year, very important bait. There is also a honey pot with about a quart of honey in it that they can only get their tongue inside it to clean it out. It sits at 5 ft high on a tree so only a big bear can easily reach it and it helps in sexing the bear when he is standing up.

And of course a trail camera, also sitting at 36” high so we can judge the shoulder height of the bears. We have a rigid trail camera checking system where the guides label every decent size male bear and I check their work and then store it in a file for every bait. Each guide spends about an hour or two every day checking cards at the lodge or in his truck, on a laptop, no half assing it in the woods on a card reader. I personally also spend an hour or two every day on cards, I can’t miss a single day or it piles up. Fun, fun! Haha

08-May-24
Well the hard work and your set ups sure seem to pay off as you shoot some great bears.

Your ground blinds are one the best set ups I have seen for bear hunting.

08-May-24
Sweet!

08-May-24
Incredible attention to detail and setting up your hunters for only killing mature boars. No wonder you have the success you do.

08-May-24
Proof's in the pudding - very nice looking set ups.

08-May-24

Mason's bear before...
Mason's bear before...
And after...I can't believe the camera set to capture one picture every minute caught this!
And after...I can't believe the camera set to capture one picture every minute caught this!

08-May-24
Incredible attention to detail with your outfit!

08-May-24
Awesome stuff!!!! I love it!!!!!

08-May-24
Wow what a photo!

08-May-24
For a trail camera set on 1 minute intervals to capture a photo at the exact point of impact on that bear------Pull the camera and take it with you to buy Lottery tickets.

09-May-24
Yeah I thought that picture was pretty amazing too! Thanks for the kind feedback too, guys, really appreciate it!!

09-May-24

Big sow, 30-32 inches tall to the top of her shoulder
Big sow, 30-32 inches tall to the top of her shoulder
Big Boar, 36 inches tall and long body
Big Boar, 36 inches tall and long body
Same boar, about 350 lbs, 19 1/2 plus skull, 7+ ft square hide is my estimate. We are waiting for him to give us an evening, daylight picture before we hunt him. So far he's been morning daylight only
Same boar, about 350 lbs, 19 1/2 plus skull, 7+ ft square hide is my estimate. We are waiting for him to give us an evening, daylight picture before we hunt him. So far he's been morning daylight only
Here’s a good comparison of shoulder height and body length on a big 200 lb sow compared to a big 350 lb boar.

We don’t like to hunt bears that are only showing night time or early morning daylight pictures. We’ve tried to hunt them by sneaking in at first light but often you end up pushing them off the bait and making them night time only. I think they hang around the bait all night and early morning.

09-May-24
Now I see that measuring stick you spoke about. That is a great idea, especially for someone like myself, that is an amateur at judging bears.

09-May-24
Thanks bghunter!

It works so much better than subjective big boar terms like a crease in the skull, little ears, thick ankles, hanging belly etc.

09-May-24

John Hubbard from Texas
John Hubbard from Texas
John, guide Jackson, Sam and Noel.
John, guide Jackson, Sam and Noel.
John has hunted with us several times for bears and deer. He came hunting this year with his Schafer recurve and got this good sized, 19 6/16 skull bear. 6 ft 6 in hide, estimated 270-280 lbs. The bear must have been a 4 1/2 yr old with genetics for a big skull or a smaller bodied 5 year old? It died way down in a river valley so we couldn’t weigh it, hit a bit back.

We’ve had a couple of other shots fired but no other deaths, 4th evening hunt coming up…

09-May-24
John has worked his tail off honing his skill with the Schafer, boy I was happy we recovered this bear, Cody and Jackson really persevered on the track.

09-May-24
Nice! Will keep following!

09-May-24
Looks like a great start to the season, Mike. Very special thing (for both of you) for Tyler to get to work alongside of you, as well.

10-May-24
Great to follow! Have used 3 foot sticks in ne Alberta. Never thought it was great from tree stands. Your system seems to be really good. I just like tree stands but even with our good barrels there’s still angles and uneven ground. Great looking animals always.

10-May-24
Good work Mike!

10-May-24

Big 200 lb sow
Big 200 lb sow
Big 350-380 lb boar
Big 350-380 lb boar
Here's another couple of comparison pictures of a big sow compared to a big boar. Without the objective measurement of the white topped post, or a barrel, to me it would be hard to tell the sex and size of these bears. It's especially difficult to describe the difference to an amateur bear hunter, but hopefully it helps guys here to figure it out.

10-May-24
You have this down to a science, but some have mentioned the angles with treestands etc, prior to going to ground blinds did you have a technique you used for treestands?

Thanks I this is a great post and very informative

11-May-24
We use a 5 foot long log on the ground for treestands. A couple of big white poplar trees, so they stand out against the bear and the bears don’t move them, cut to a tape measured 5 ft.

If you draw a straight line from a bears butt to his eyes a shooter bear will be 5 ft long. A sow will never be more than 4 1/2 ft and a huge boar will be 5 1/2 ft. It actually works better than a 36” tall post because the body length differences are much more, big sow to big boar. Short and fat compared to tall and long.

If the bear won’t stop moving near the log for comparison you can just use your finger as a rough measuring tool. Extend your arm out, measure the log length with your finger, and then move it over to the broadside bear. 5 ft long? Shoot it.

(For us a 4 1/2 yr old, 280 lb upper 18 inch skull, average boar will just hit 5 ft, that’s a nice bear but we prefer to shoot the next size up 320-340 lbs. He might not be much longer, just more filled out, fatter. Subjective term I know but hopefully trail cam pics and video before the hunt help a hunter figure that out.)

11-May-24
Mike,

Thank you for the information, you are helping me get an idea of how to judge bears.

11-May-24

Shooter bear? Still alive…
Shooter bear? Still alive…

11-May-24
Looks like a wow to me Mike!

11-May-24
I would say that's a shooter. It makes the barrels look small

12-May-24
Soon after the hunter took the picture of the bear above at about 10 pm, he wouldn’t give a broadside shot. Then the bear lay down and fell asleep at the barrels and wouldn’t get up and ran the clock out on the last evening to hunt. Can’t say I’ve had that happen before. Big bear too! 38” to the shoulders, gotta be around 400 lbs, hopefully we get to find out next week.

12-May-24

Sam Willet from Texas
Sam Willet from Texas
Sam shot his bear in the last 15 minutes of the last day of his hunt, 280 lbs, don’t know skull or hide yet, guides were up late skinning it. Probably around 19 inches.

We shot one other big bear and the guides are out searching early this morning for it, shot angled back a bit. Tracked it 200 yds in the dark last night and then called it off. Thank goodness Sunday is a no hunt day, give my guides a bit of a break, this afternoon and evening!

12-May-24
I bet that hunter was frustrated.

Great looking bear Sam shot, hope you recover the other bear.

12-May-24
Mike, that's a good tip, going to use that this year in MI.. ..

12-May-24
So, unfortunately we never found the bear, I guess guide Cody did see it, but a mile from the bait site and getting out of dodge, no more blood, 4th one. Rough week but good chance they will survive and become legendary giants, just cautious around a bait.

Sam’s bear skull went 18 6/16, so a 4 1/2 yr old. John’s was 18 6/16 too. Had an inch wrong on the tape measure.

Great group of guys! Always an enjoyable time with them but certainly some bad luck. New hunters on Monday.

Happy Mother’s Day!

12-May-24
Bummer to lose em… tough critters for sure. In your experience Mike do bears you lose like this typically survive? Or do you think a majority succumb to infection etc? Unfortunately it happens to everyone at some point in their hunting career!

12-May-24

Nice shiny coat, got some fat on her. But missing a leg.
Nice shiny coat, got some fat on her. But missing a leg.
I think the majority of bears survive, especially with shoulder and high back hits. I’ve seen dozens of bears with all sorts of wounds, arrows, bullets, snares etc. Even when the wound has become infected it doesn’t seem to bother them much, they don’t lose much weight, unless it has caused muscle wasting. Buckshot in the butt will cause muscle wasting in the back end but still a seemingly healthy bear. They are tough as hell!

12-May-24

DConcrete's embedded Photo
DConcrete's embedded Photo

12-May-24
This was the bear I killed in Manitoba. He had a ring around his neck. Been in a snare at some point in his life.

12-May-24
Enjoy your hunt updates Mike! You grow some dandy bears! Good luck to the hunters the rest of the way!

12-May-24
Tough SOB’s for sure.

12-May-24
Great bear insights and knowledge Mike thank you!

13-May-24
Keep them coming Mike. Love it

13-May-24
Good luck this season. I have to get up and hunt with you one of these springs.

13-May-24
Always sucks losing an animal. Glad it looked like it will survive though.

It is amazing how tough animals can be.

14-May-24

We are back in action baby!! Whoohooo!!!

14-May-24
Nice! Looks like a couple pretty good bears too.

14-May-24
Those look like toads!

14-May-24
Wow a couple beauties! Congrats!

14-May-24

14-May-24
Better check the tire pressure on them bikes. #7 lbs probably ain't makin' it. Geeeez!!! Congrats to them hunters.

16-May-24

Here’s one of the bears taken on May 14th. 240 lbs, 18 0/16 skull, 6 ft 6 in square hide. So a fat, 3 1/2 yr old boar. We did give the hunter the go ahead to shoot it after he texted us some pictures from the blind but we were a bit off. The ground was lumpy, up and down near the post, hard to tell. Beautiful coat, happy hunter!

His shoulder height appeared to be just under the 36” tall post so he got shot. It can tough to tell the difference between a fat 3 or 4 year old boar and a short legged 5 year old, but it does remind us that 36” tall is the minimum, not a half inch lower if we want to target the 300+ lb, 5+ yr old boars.

16-May-24

405 lbs, our heaviest bear in 2024 so far…
405 lbs, our heaviest bear in 2024 so far…
Giant bear! 7 foot 3 inch square hide, 20 14/16 skull and 405 lbs and he was pretty lean! Huge frame, 38” tall shoulder height. He would have been a 420-440+ lb bear if we had a berry crop last fall. This is a top 20-30 bear for us, out of around a thousand kills since 1992. Love seeing the big ones roll in!!

16-May-24

405 lbs
405 lbs
Weight compared to 405? same bait
Weight compared to 405? same bait
Shoulder height for the new bear on the 36" post
Shoulder height for the new bear on the 36" post

16-May-24
Great Bears , guessing 385 on the new Bear ... Thanks Mike for the pics and post

16-May-24
Appear to be equal in height department. Second not as husky…maybe a year or two younger?? 355!

16-May-24
We have a guy hunting him this evening so hopefully we get to find out? It’s interesting to see how low the belly gets when the bear gains weight after reaching the 36” shoulder height mark, the 405 bear’s belly line is down to almost the bottom ring, this new lighter bear is obviously above it, a good reference for judging weight on a mature boar as he fills out.

16-May-24

36” tall long legged 3 1/2 yr old, 220-230 lbs, high belly.
36” tall long legged 3 1/2 yr old, 220-230 lbs, high belly.
So this young boar has grown his shoulder height to the 36” mark, 2 inches above the barrel but his belly line is damn near the upper ring, with a large amount of space from his belly to the ground. It highlights his lighter weight. So 36” back height isn’t everything, you also need a lower belly, much closer to the bottom ring for a solid 300 pounder.

16-May-24
Wow nice bear congrats to you and your hunter!

17-May-24

We got him, 2nd big bear off Powerline bait! 405 pounder and now this one. Better pics and stats tomorrow

17-May-24
Got Him

17-May-24
Congrats

17-May-24
Hell yeah! Congrats all around.

17-May-24

305 lbs
305 lbs
So he weighed 305 lbs, he looked like he would be 350, same in trail camera pics, when you compare him to the 405 lb bear. He has the frame of a big 5 1/2 yr old but not quite the weight. We will see what his skull comes out at, if it’s upper 18’s I’ll call him a 4 1/2 yr old, solid 19’s, probably a 5 1/2 yr old. The ones that come out right at about 300 are tough to determine.

17-May-24

Chris Craw from New York
Chris Craw from New York
A very happy Chris with his 305 lb boar, 6 ft 10 inch square hide, 19 6/16 skull so he was a 5 1/2 yr old. Perfect bear to take!

We got burned out of this area last year with the forest fires so we didn’t get to feed the bears up there so that’s probably part of why he had the lower than normal body weight. He could have also come from across the Peace River.

17-May-24
Best thread of the whole year, keep them coming Mike.

17-May-24
Thanks for posting all the pictures and information. Beautiful animals congratulations to everyone

18-May-24
Like clockwork! Big bears are dying. Great job Mike keep em coming.

18-May-24

John Haschak from Connecticut
John Haschak from Connecticut
John was down to the last evening of his 5 day hunt and he wanted to make sure he went home with a bear so he took this big, fat sow at about 5 pm. We have too many bears so we encourage hunters to shoot sows along with trophy bears. Gotta keep the female numbers in check too.

His guide Gavin came, took pictures, and took the bear away to be skinned. John went back in the blind to see if another one would come in.

18-May-24

John with his 2nd bear.
John with his 2nd bear.
330 lbs. The bear had all the long lean characteristics of a 3 1/2 yr old. Don’t know if it’s possible for them to get over 300 lbs at that age?
330 lbs. The bear had all the long lean characteristics of a 3 1/2 yr old. Don’t know if it’s possible for them to get over 300 lbs at that age?
With less than an hour left in his hunt this big boy strolled into the bait. As tall as the post? Yes! Boom, and John got bear number two. It was a big framed, lean beast, 19 8/16 skull, 330 lbs, 6 ft 10 hide. Thanks for holding out and making it happen!

John said he saw over 50 different bears on his hunt, on 3 baits.

18-May-24
Great operation resulting in some really nice bears, congrats all around!

18-May-24
Thanks for the compliments guys!

18-May-24

Determining the sex/gender of a bear with the honey pot. We put about a quart of honey in it with only a small slit in the top for them to lick the honey out. At 5 ft high only the bigger bears can stand on their back legs to reach it, small ones have to climb the tree and hang on while they lick it out, so they don’t get nearly as much out of it.

By the way you can also tell the gender or sex of humans by seeing what’s between their legs, not by what’s between their ears. Just saying…

19-May-24
^^^Ha! Good one, Mike! Looks like another great year shaping up!

19-May-24

I’ve had a few hunters who are coming up for their bear hunt asking how bad are the “Wildfires” in Canada. This website shows the fires and smoke conditions. So despite what the media might be saying there are only 2 small fires burning at the very Northern edge of Alberta. We’ve had some rain and cool conditions lately, so all good.

19-May-24

MQQSE's embedded Photo
MQQSE's embedded Photo
Mike’s honey pot

19-May-24
Thanks Adam! That’s what a big one looks like on the honey pot.

19-May-24

Sam's embedded Photo
About honey pot bandit
Sam's embedded Photo
About honey pot bandit

• Sitka Gear