Dale06 11-May-24
Michael 11-May-24
cnelk 11-May-24
Groundhunter 11-May-24
Michael 11-May-24
Norseman 12-May-24
Basil 12-May-24
10-May-24
T minus 2 hours 40 minutes till MN fishing opener. Any fellow Minnesotans going to be on the water this weekend.

Going to take my dad up to Leech lake in the morning. Gotta love that shallow sand jig and shiner bite for opener. Normally I am on Otter tail lake for opener but want to try leech this year.

10-May-24
Good luck, Michael! I’m totally ignorant as to the regs regarding when the season opens. You are still able to fish before the opening date, just not legal to keep any fish, correct?

10-May-24
Nope T- not for walleyes. Can't target them when not in season, even if you don't plan to keep em. Season opens in about an hour.

10-May-24
Thanks scoot!

11-May-24
In the 35 years I’ve lived in Mn, I’ve bought a fishing license about five times. I don’t fish a lot but when I do, it’s Canada or off the coast of BC or Alaska. Sure there are exceptions but fishing in Mn sucks, unless catching several 16” walleyes gets you excited.

11-May-24
Wow was there boats on Leech lake. Hundreds of boats in the 3 areas we checked out and I bet 90% of them were not catching fish. Took us a couple hours to find some fish. Once we did it took a half hour to put our limits in the live well. Ended up keeping our eaters 16 to 19” fish and caught 6 overs that went back. Biggest was a spawned out 24” torpedo of a female.

Great weather for opener. Partly cloudy with a slight chop on the water and high of 80 degrees.

11-May-24
When I lived on Lake of the Woods there were many times the ice wasn’t off the lake for opener.

It’s a Damn nice place to be from.

11-May-24
Lake of the Woods is a special place......

11-May-24
Cnelk, if I remember right ice went off lake of the woods last year the day before opener.

I haven’t fished lake of the woods in a boat yet. Have ice fished it a bunch though.

The rainy river spring run this year was phenomenal. The amount of 20 to 26” fish that were in the river this year was insane. My biggest this year was a 28”.

12-May-24
I remember several drives up to Leech when the ice was still on Walker bay com Friday before opener. Good times. And the bonus Jumbos is nice on that lake. Got my limit on Tonka tonight. Perfect Put and Take eaters.

12-May-24
Fishing was OK yesterday in NE Mn. Was excellent this morning. Water temp was 53 which is amazing for this time of year up there. Good to be on the water again. :>)

• Sitka Gear