WhattheFOC 14-May-24
JTreeman 14-May-24
WhattheFOC 14-May-24
Beendare 14-May-24
JohnMC 14-May-24
drycreek 14-May-24
Zbone 14-May-24
14-May-24
Starting to plan a trip to Australia … will be going for a month or more, with a WA fishing trip and some other things on the agenda - but the whole thing planned around an asiatic water buffalo hunt. Anyone on here bowhunted oz before? Any advice on outfitters would be great. I’m starting from scratch, so all advice is welcome (archery gear, hunt prep, best time of year, other things to do in Oz…) Thanks. WTF

14-May-24
You'll want to connect with Tyler Chubb of Ironbark Outfitters. Full disclosure he's a good buddy of mine (going fishing Saturday ;) but he's as good as they come. There's been enough threads of his hunting on here that you'll get a great taste of it. Also a bowsite sponsor. Hardcore bowhunter from Manitoba that moved there years ago.

14-May-24
Tyler's concession is huge with tons of buffalo and no other people. I highly recommend him.

14-May-24
Tyler sounds awesome. Except for the part about Manitoba. Thanks!

14-May-24
Go with Tyler, you won’t regret it. Top notch in every way.

My terminology may be wrong or improper. I’m just a barely educated redneck from public schools, but I’ve never called the Australian species of water buffalo “asiatic” I called them “river buffalo” or just water buffalo.

I’ve always called the ones I see in Argentina and some of the TX farms with the smaller curled horns and smaller bodies “asiatic buffalo”. But I certainly don’t know that that is correct. Can someone who is more informed and or smarter than me clarify the different sub-species of water buffalo for me?

—Jim

14-May-24
I tried to research the distinction between water Buffalo and asiatic water Buffalo. So confused my head just exploded. I’ll just call they/them Buffalo from now on

14-May-24
I did, but the outfitter disappeared for awhile....I cannot recommend.

One of the best hunts I have ever done....and Australia was awesome.

14-May-24
I surprised Treeman can tell a buffalo from kangaroo:)

14-May-24
A kangaroo hops on his back legs and a buffalo hops on YOU !

14-May-24
I did a little googling on Australian species of water buffalo and found this:

"Swamp buffalo (a variety of B. bubalis under domestication) are more ashy gray in color, has a drooping neck, and horns that are swept back and out, whereas river buffalo (the other domesticated variety) are more black and have tightly curled horns."

"What are two water buffalo called? Domesticated water buffalo has two subspecies: the river water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis), which was tamed for its milk, and the swamp water buffalo (Bubalis carabanesis), which was trained to be a draft animal"

• Sitka Gear