Nyati 16-May-24
Catscratch 16-May-24
Dale Hajas 16-May-24
Al Dente Laptop 16-May-24
Dale Hajas 16-May-24
HiMtnHnter 16-May-24
Chuckster 17-May-24
15-May-24
I Just turned 66, retired and looking for a slide in truck camper to be free to roam:) I was feeling great until my 4th colonoscopy in January when I got delayed by A-fib, which I never knew I had. I’ve been in AFib since. I take Metoprolol and Eliquis for Afib. NOT LOOKING FOR MED ADVICE!! :)

So I’m looking to change into some natural remedies, AS SUPPLEMENTS. I raise elderberry’s and have Aronia berrys. Changing into a less sugar diet by lessening my AM coffee. I retired from some of my stressing commitments and I joined an archery league over winter and realized I wasn’t mentally sharp in my concentration. I watch my 20 month old grandson 3 days a week ad I end up exhausted lol so I don’t go to Planet Fitness my 3 days a week as much as I should.

These mushroom supplements are very popular and I want to reduce my coffee intake, so I’m thinking a supplement like Ryze. Does anyone use these or can recommend one in their daily routine?

Thanks!

Is there a search function on the main Bowsite?:)

15-May-24
I tried them several years ago in the form of teas as well as coffee...I wasn't impressed at all. Didn't see any difference at all so after about a year I quit them.

15-May-24
What is it that you are wanting to accomplish?

15-May-24
98 % of “supplements “ are BS

15-May-24
There is nothing "special" about drinking mushrooms (the marketing will try to convince you otherwise). If it's in the budget and you like it, GREAT. But if other options fit the bill more enjoyably / cheaper for you, go with those.

Nyati is correct, but Ill raise him to 99.8%.

LOVE that you are looking to improve lifestyle and health overall - that will help with the AFib - when you also use the strategies the doc/s have suggested.

15-May-24
Just looking for a ray of improvement. I do take some supplements, and only those that make a difference to me. I drink 2 cups of coffee in the AM. Looking to lessen the crash I get around 2 pm. I don’t have gut issues and I’m learning sourdough to lessen my yearning for commercial breads and yeast.

I’m looking for honest opinions on these items. My in laws have a small mushroom business- we rarely use them and when due we like to pick wild for use at home. Wondering if it’s worth replacing some of my coffee in the morning that doesn’t crash. Thanks for your replies.

15-May-24
You say you’re not looking for medical advice, but that’s essentially what you asked for. See a MD and tell him/her your issues and what you want to accomplish. Good luck. And I think Nyati was off by close to 2%.

15-May-24
I know you didn't ask about it, but green tea has some pretty amazing benefits.

I have no experience at all, but a former Navy Seal Sean Ryan swears by the below products

https://lairdsuperfood.com/products/shawn-ryan-bundle

Again I have no experience, but watch his show a lot and he swears by the stuff. I will let you decide if you want to try, just offering an option.

15-May-24
The post will be removed if med advice is given. The reason I’m asking is for info on something that someone is already using, something all natural. Thank You Shawn for the link!

15-May-24
98 % of “supplements “ are BS

77% of statistical analysis posted on the internet are made up on the spot.

15-May-24
Dale, supplements are medical too. You are asking for medical advice and then saying you don't want it. Make up your mind. You can't split off supplements taken for some intended health benefit as not being medical.

As far as natural supplements go: they are drugs, they are largely unregulated, often have very serious unintended side affects and rarely improve health.

If your afternoon crash is a caffeine crash then your best course would probably be to eliminate the morning caffeine and your body will adjust and no more caffeine crash. If it's a sugar crash then you need to adjust your diet to low glycemic index foods so you avoid the sugar rush and follow up crash and definitely follow up with the Doc if that doesn't resolve it.

15-May-24
Dale - reducing caffeine would help with that later day crash. Give your full diet a review - it's possible that it could improve overall which would help there.

15-May-24
I drank several pots of coffee a day for quite a while. Tried to cut back several times but that isn't in my personality so I quit completely. Within a week or two my afternoon crashes went away. That didn't happen when I "cut back", only when I stopped. I drink tea a lot now and feel much better overall than I did when drinking coffee. I can't speak to the mushroom stuff but wouldn't be afraid to try it.

15-May-24
You’re right Greg. I apologize. I should’ve said “Pharmaceutical” advice. Im more interested in natural nutritional supplements that have been in use for hundreds of years. An example is Elderberries, which was Hippocrates favorite remedy. That’s why I raise my own. Natives routinely used mushrooms and plant combinations. CS- I used to drink a pot of coffee on midnight at the steel mill. Now retired after 3+ years I’m down to 2 cups per am. Yeah I do use some sugar. I watch my 20 month old grandson 3 days a week for approx 10 hrs/day. I’m quite tired afterwards too lol takes me more than a few hours to recover, that’s why I’m exploring additional options.

Thanks for the replies.

15-May-24
Hey Dale, I'm 61 and HAD Afib and was taking metoprolol and eliquis like you. Had a cardioversion and cardioablasion. No more Afib for me. My only recommendation would be to add Thorne creatine to your diet. I am about to complete my first can and I can't believe the improvements I've had. You can get it on Amazon. You can Pm me if you want.

15-May-24
Dale, I'm your age and taking care of a 20 month old for 30 hours a week would exhaust me too! And I don't have the AFib which has to sap energy too.

I realize that sometimes family situations require such sacrifice but I hope you are letting your kids know that it is affecting your health and that they need to figure out a way to reduce your hours soon. Otherwise they might get reduced to zero the hard way.

Old guys like us love to spend time with the grandkids but at our age taking on a 20 month old for 10 hours straight is rough. They just require constant attention at that age. Once they get older it's far easier, especially if you are smart enough to teach them to contribute by doing chores and helping out. But you have a long way to go with a 20 month old before he gets to that point. Putting a strain on your health will not help your kids in the long run.

16-May-24
Local raw honey , forage your own Chaga and Reishi for tea ,research these and decide . Make sure of honey quality , get to know a beekeeper . I have 35 or so hives and produce pure honey with no chemical treatments in the hives . It is hard work and the outfit costs thousands so expect the honey to cost you 10 to 20 bucks a pound .

16-May-24
Again thank you for the responses! I’ll dm you chuck thanks! Aspen- I thank you for your concerns. My working from home wife will be retiring by fall. She does take a 5 or 10 minute break to help if needed. Grandson will most likely be attending a preschool in a year, and frankly, as much as he wears me out:), I don’t want to miss anytime with him. He’s the main reason for slide-in camper:) Lots of trad shoots within a couple hours for me and him, to camp or to go fishing. His other gram watches him opposite my schedule, we switch 3 day weeks.

VaMtns- I do use local honey from our beekeeper buddy and yes it’s around $10/lb. I use it to make elderberry immune system boost. For those that think supplements don’t work, You’re missing out on some great therapies and boosters.

16-May-24
I looked into RYZE, and decided not to try it. I spoke with a co worker who used it for over a year, with no descernible effects. I am a pro homeopathic supplement person, and would rather go that route than a script med that has more side effects then benefits. Good luck to you and enjoy every sunrise.

16-May-24
Thanks Al. Ryze has over 100K 5 star ratings. But in the age of bots it’s pricey but a company can buy bots. That’s why I asked folks with similar interests as I:)

I am delaying my purchase of anything mushy right now:)

16-May-24
Make sure not to heat honey above 100 F for max health benefits .Research all the great uses for pure natural raw honey from anywhere but local or same fauna as your home area have a few more benefits .

16-May-24
For those of y’all that use all these natural supplements what benefits do u think it provides over eating a well balanced meal with normal meats, fruits, vegetables, etc.?

16-May-24
Here are 10 science-based benefits of creatine: Helps muscle cells produce more energy. ... Supports many other functions in muscles. ... Improves high-intensity exercise performance. ... Speeds muscle growth. ... May help with Parkinson's disease. ... May fight other neurological diseases. ... May lower blood sugar levels and fight diabetes.

I have noticed a difference in my stamina and strength increasing during HIIT training and lifting.

16-May-24
I do all that :) I’ll say this but I have to watch what I say or this will pulled. I’ll use elderberry for my example, as I have 2 bushes that I use for cold remedies- which contains several ingredients but must use only local honey to you- that becomes the last part of the mixture during the cooling period…Right VaMtns? :) It works:) at least for over 20 years for me.

I have given away for free nearly 3000 spring elderberry cuttings for anyone wanting to grow it. But as a testament to naturals, I have at least 12 cancer patients that are growing elderberries as immune system boosters. The e-berry flowers, also contain 2 types of an ingredient that has been proven to beat viral infections:) No need to go into the myriads of other naturals. Natural growing supplements or “medicines” cannot be, by law, patented, so there is less $$ in profit, Less $$ in laboratory studies and packaging.

This is why I’m looking for a natural type of “pick me up” as I’ve had great success with natural homeopathic remedies.

But you do you is fine too!

16-May-24
Creatine is important, that’s no doubt but between what’s eaten in normal diet with meat, fish, poultry, dairy and what is metabolized and made normally in your body it provides enough creatine . Any excess is just excreted . If it takes 1 gallon of water to fill a bucket pouring another gallon in it doesn’t help.

16-May-24
I'm curious to see where the next generation ends up healthwise. It seems we are at an all time high for eating processed foods, vaping, and caffeine use in kids. I don't think anyone knows the long term affects yet but kids drinking coffee and energy drinks, then vaping, then living out of a bag for their diet has to have some long term repercussions. Plenty of research shows anxiety disorders related to these things, probably quite a bit we haven't realized still out there.

16-May-24
Agreed. If I’m in need of anything in particular it’s fish…..

16-May-24
I am in recovery from prostate cancer. I opted for Cyberknife radiation, which was 5 days of high dose radiation, with a 5 mm degree of accuracy. Traditional radiation therapy would've been 45 days of low dose radiation within a 4-5" circle. Or removal of the prostate. I did not want to chance the robotic surgery, and then be in a diaper for the rest of my life. As a result, I had to go on Tamsulosin, better known as Flowmax. It helped, but after my last CBC during my follow up, my A1C was elevated. I do follow a carnivore diet, meat, fruit, white rice, but no processed food at all. I never had an elevated A1C. All of my other levels were fine. Of course, my doctor wanted to put me on Metformin. I adamantly refused, and we agreed to do another CBC in 3 months. I looked up the side effects of Flowmax, and one of them was that it could raise your A1C. So I would go on a med, to help with the side effects of another med, no thank you. I stopped the Flowmax, and started to take Berberine. I will let you guys know in 6 weeks, when I go for the next CBC panel. Today, the medical practitioners are soooo quick to write another script with out getting to the root cause.

16-May-24
Wow buddy hope you get this straightened out. I take tamsulosin now. I got off metformin because it’s a terrible med. My internal med spec put me on jardiance and it’s much better. I took me from a 7.1 to 5.9 in 6 months.

16-May-24
Eating healthy is the best thing for you.

17-May-24
Great speaking with you Dale. Take care brother.

• Sitka Gear