bigeasygator 16-May-24
bigeasygator 16-May-24
bghunter 16-May-24
bigeasygator 16-May-24
Frenchman 23-May-24
bigeasygator 23-May-24
shane 25-May-24
16-May-24
Planning a trip to Louisiana over the upcoming Christmas holiday - taking my bow along because as a Canadian who does not have them anywhere close, I am jealous of those who can hunt them! Any recommendation as for outfitters/guides who could help me arrow a few pigs in between plates of crawfish (crawfish boil begin one of the main reasons I want to go to Louisiana...). Any suggestions welcome!

16-May-24
Where are you going to in Louisiana? What part/city

16-May-24
Hey Frenchman, a couple things. Not sure how locked in you are to your dates, but if a crawfish boil is one of the main reasons to come you may want to push things back. Late January is generally the very, very front end of the crawfish season. March through May is more peak season. I doubt you'll find any in December. That said, if you're locked into the dates, don't feel too bad. We've got lots of good food that will be in season :)

And ditto to Quack's question. That will help with possible outfitters.

16-May-24
Humm - if no crawfish boil possible - trip may get postponed.. Was told Lafayette was the place to go - girlfriend wants to go to Nawlins.. ;)

16-May-24
You should not have much competition. All the hunters in Louisiana will be in Illinois. Most of them on the public land. I know. I met about all of them.

16-May-24
If you go to LayFaette make sure to stop by BPM pizza resturant Dean-Os excellent pizza

16-May-24
Second on Deano’s. Some awesome pizza !!

I’m a satisfied customer!

16-May-24
Or his other one called Prejeans.

—Jim

16-May-24
Or buy something to drink from his wine and liquor store called Marcello’s!

16-May-24
And I’ll add that I wouldn’t necessarily consider south Louisiana a big hog hunting destination. There are a few areas around that no doubt hold hogs, but bowhunting in the area could be a bit tricky. I know people that bowhunt Pearl River outside of New Orleans and have done okay. Not sure that there are many guides/outfitters in the area though. I’ll ask around.

16-May-24
I think he was just opening Prejeans when I was there. I know he was in the process of opening another resturant.

My wife still talks about his grilled oysters we had at his food stand during a music festival.

16-May-24

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
bigeasygator's embedded Photo
Prejeans does the gumbo at Jazz Fest and it’s my favorite dish. The wife likes it too.

23-May-24
Thanks for the comments - may push that trip back to Eastern holiday - just before our turkey season in mid-April - then could get the crawfish boil and maybe find a place to hunt while there then! Food and street nightlife will convince my wife to tag along!

23-May-24
Easter is peak crawfish season, Frenchman. Also generally the best weather of the year is in April. Two great festivals that time of year if you make your way to New Orleans - French Quarter Fest and Jazz Fest.

25-May-24
You can get crawfish in Jan, but they are expensive to say the least. If you are going to the laffy area there are a couple of WMA's within an hour with plenty of hogs. And the bowseason for deer goes until Feb 15.

• Sitka Gear