LUNG$HOT 31-May-24
Beav 31-May-24
Beav 31-May-24
maxracx 31-May-24
Smtn10PT 31-May-24
19-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Anyone that knows me very well knows just how much I love to bowfish for bigheads. t-roy, midwest, and I would be bowfishing with my good friend Bryce out of his boat.

19-May-24
Well this is probably gonna suck…

—Jim

19-May-24
This should be good keep the pictures coming!

19-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Bryce and I would be bow fishing Tuesday together and t-roy would be there that night. midwest dropped everything in a minutes notice and accepted the invite and would also arrive that night. Bryce and I were off to a great start!

19-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We put some great fish in the boat and the cooler was filling up! Beautiful day!!

19-May-24
Awesome! Looking forward to pics and stories.

19-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Bryce with a 40 lber to cap the day! We were sending pics all day to Troy and Nick and they couldn’t wait to get there!

19-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Nick arrives as we are pulling out of the water at camp. Lots of fillets to debone so we get started. Fish fry tonight!

19-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
We awake the next morning and weather is great! We hope for a repeat of yesterday as we hit the water. Like bigheads usually are every day is different. There wasn’t a shortage of fish but big fish were hard to come by. We did manage a few cleaners by midafternoon but was pretty tough.

19-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
That afternoon we put some miles on and found fish everywhere we went. Just not a lot of good ones. We shot some nice ones and Troy pulled out of an albino and I dropped my phone to the bottom of the river!!! Nick finally connected on one we were looking for and he was jacked! Busch Light to celebrate!

19-May-24
We make it to camp as the sun sets on the day and we debone some fish for fish tacos for supper. Other than losing the albino, and the phone it was a fun filled day.

19-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Next morning we have two nice fish in the boat first thing. Troy connected on his best one!

19-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo

19-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Bryce scores on a 20 lb class silver!

19-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Later in the day Bryce connects on a 36 lber, our best fish in two days.

19-May-24
That just looks like to much fun!

Any paddlefish fish tags for later?

19-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
I hit the road for home early evening and the boys fished until dark. They picked up some more cleaners and cleaned fish until midnight. Next morning Troy and Nick hit the road. It was a quick trip but they learned a lot and were a blast to have on the boat and in camp. Thanks boys!! Let’s do it again!

19-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Bryce shot in the tournament on Saturday and he and his partners had a clean sweep! Our scouting paid off!

19-May-24
Holy crap, with that many fillets you could feed half the town. Well done boys!

19-May-24
Can't thank Beav enough for the invite. Was happy to fill in for otcWill who couldn't make the trip this time and would happily be a sub anytime in the future! Hanging with these guys is as good as it gets regardless of what we're chasing.

Learned a lot for sure. This was way different than any of the common carp shoots I'd done in the past. This was no place for a peep and sights. The shooting can be very fast when targeting big fish hiding in spooky schools of hundreds!

The way Beav and Bryce can pick out the bigger fish and the bigheads from the silvers was simply mind blowing. The boys can shoot, too! I only hope I can make a trip back for a little redemption.

19-May-24

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
This stuff is as good as any fish I’ve ever had. Firm, white, and mild. I wouldn’t trade it for walleye.

Pairs well with Busch Latte.

19-May-24
Holy smokes! Nice fish, guys.

19-May-24
“Big Heads” hunters or fish. HA HA! Bowsite Rocks.

19-May-24
Damn those fillets look good! Great to see fish being eaten and not just thrown out like carp.

19-May-24
Fun times!! Nice work

19-May-24
Ain’t sure who is cuter, the albino or Troy ! Congrats on a good trip guys !

19-May-24
Dream team! Congrats looks like a hell of a time

19-May-24
That looks fantastic! Great work, fellers!

19-May-24
Looks like a darn good time, thanks for sharing.

19-May-24
You guys know how to have fun! That pile of fillets is icing on the cake!

19-May-24
Nice..

Hadn't realized they were edible, but they sure look good...

19-May-24
Great times

19-May-24
Wow!

19-May-24
A few years back, I had the privilege to get to bowfish for bigheads with Beav and a buddy of his for a day, so when I got the chance to do it again for a couple of days, I jumped at it. I had to work on Tuesday, and to make matters worse, Beav kept texting Nick and me pics of the slobs that he and Bryce were shooting that day. I couldn’t get this job finished soon enough! I finally rolled into camp about 10pm, just in time for some deep fried bighead nuggets. Some of the best tasting fish I’ve ever had. Not too much later, we hit the hay, anticipating what the next day would have in store.

19-May-24

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
We got all our gear all set up and launched Bryce’s rig. He had customized it a little bit, and I can’t imagine a much better setup for bow fishing.

19-May-24
Good stuff guys thanks for posting!

19-May-24

t-roy's embedded Photo
No. I didn’t shoot him in the barrel…
t-roy's embedded Photo
No. I didn’t shoot him in the barrel…
B&B decided that we should motor upriver a ways before starting. We finally got to a good spot and I connected on a smaller bighead on my very first shot! Unfortunately my shooting percentage dropped precipitously from that point on! I agree with Nick’s assessment of using a peep/sights. As spooky as these fish are, shot opportunities disappear very quickly the majority of the time. Multiple times, Nick or I would ALMOST get dialed in to shoot, only to have the herd spook and disappear in an instant. Beav and Bryce, on the other hand, would draw, aim and shoot in only a couple of seconds.

19-May-24

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
We DID occasionally hit our target.

19-May-24

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Nick shot a dandy.

19-May-24

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Had a celebratory toast, too.

I had a Mike’s Hard Lemonade. Nick made some snide comment about that being appropriate, and something about that it would match my limp-wristed shooting form……

19-May-24

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Always one in the crowd! :-)

19-May-24

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Drycreek…….Not sure if the “cuter than a carp” comment was a compliment, but I’ll take it as one.

This isn’t the albino bighead that I shot. This one was just a lighter colored fish. I shot the albino fish and got him to the surface once, but unfortunately, the arrow pulled out shortly after he surfaced the one time.

19-May-24

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
We hit it hard for two solid days of bow fishing, plus a month’s worth of laughs. I only wish I could have gotten the cell phone debacle on video. Sorry, Beav, but even you thought it was hilarious (after the fact). We finally had to say our goodbyes to Beav around 6pm, and dropped him off at the boat launch at the dam. Bryce, Nick and I hit a few holes on our way back to camp. I finished the trip the same way as I started it, by connecting on this fish on my last shot of the trip.

19-May-24
Looks like you guys had a blast!! I’m happier than hell to know Beav is taking care of the elderly, getting them on the water and even making sure they drink a little beer!

20-May-24

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
A couple of takeaways from the trip. Beav and Bryce’s ability to spot fish from a distance is uncanny! I can’t count how many times I would point out what I thought was a school of carp feeding. Occasionally I was right, but usually Beav’s response was “ no, that’s just a shoal”. They could also easily distinguish between the silvers and the bigheads (which we were targeting), plus they could pick out the biggest fish in the school. Being able to point it out to Nick and I was another story.

Thanks again, for the invite, buddy! Can’t begin to thank you enough. Getting to spend quality time together with good friends, busting some chops, swapping jokes (OK, mostly listening to Beav’s jokes). A few drinks and some incredible food. Doesn’t get much better than that. Can’t wait for the next time!

20-May-24
Nick was the only one who got a Senior discount! I’ve still got a couple of years before I’m eligible;-)

20-May-24
Boat full of killers! Thanks for sharing the pics.

20-May-24
Great stuff

20-May-24
Heck yeah-------->

Thanks for sharing,

Robb

20-May-24
Looks like a great trip! Other than that beer you guys drink….

20-May-24
Steve, what we lacked in beer quality, we made up for in quantity!

20-May-24
Great recap, always a great time, you guys were blessed to have had Beav and Bryce guiding you they know that river like the back of their hand and have each hole and feature named with an appropriate handle as you probably found out.

20-May-24

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Taking care of the meat harvest was a top priority. Fish were “slabbed out” and put on ice every few hours in between fishing spots to be completely deboned at the end of the day.

Filleting the meat off the boney af slabs was an art form in itself, developed by these guys over the years.

20-May-24
Awesome all the way around!

Thanks for sharing with us!

20-May-24
That does look like a good time.

20-May-24
Looks like T-Roy used a lot of sunscreen. Looks like Bryce is in charge with that beer in his hand.:)

20-May-24
Makes me smile. Sorry to have missed it boys!

20-May-24
What a crew! Congrats, fellas. Fun times

20-May-24
Thanks for sharing everyone! It looks like it was an amazing time! I was shocked to see the crew drinking Busch Light. I had never seen that before out of Beav's bunch. :)

20-May-24
Awesome stuff guys! What a great time and a great week to be on the water!

20-May-24
Nice trip!! Me and two buddys of mine drove up to southern illinois about 10 years ago and shot a tournament for bigheads and silvers. We finished 5th out of 34 teams. Only 3 spots paid. It was a Big 10 style tournament. We only had 11 bigheads total, but some nice ones. Had so many silvers that our 120gal barrel was overflowing, as was the floor lol. All the fish were dumped in a huge dumpster to be ground up and spread for fertilizer. Our clothes, boat and gear were covered in nasty smelling slime at the end of two nights of shooting. Didnt realize those bigheads were edible either. I have not bowfished since 2015 when i killed my first gator in GA. Also didnt realize Bigheads could be found during the day. We floated down stream and use a stomper light rig to illuminate the surface every minute or so. We aimed for the heads and mouth as they slurp algae off the surface at night. It was our first time hunting them and we just did what other competitors told us to do to find them. It was a good time. I need to get my gear out again and kill some gar in SC.

20-May-24
Looks like a great time!

20-May-24
Looks like a great trip! Congrats guys!!

20-May-24
Good times, you fellas have too much fun!

20-May-24
Looks like a helluva time! Congrats on a bunch of fish and bunch of dead Busch Lattes!

20-May-24
My goodness looks like fun!

20-May-24
Looks like a blast!

20-May-24
I think you all should sell raffle tickets for next years trip!

20-May-24
Thanks for sharing! Looks like a great time.

20-May-24
Well that looks like nothing but FUN! Thanks for sharing guys!!

20-May-24
From Busch Beer Co. : Busch Beer contains 114 calories and a 4.3% ABV per serving. Enjoy Busch Beer anytime the occasion calls for refreshing drinks; grab a case of beer to enjoy while watching sports or hanging out with friends. This lager beer pairs perfectly with your next burger, pizza or Big Heads.

20-May-24
^^^That's right, Paul...it's science!

20-May-24
Couldn’t agree more, Murph! They maneuvered that boat up and down the river without a hitch. Interesting to get the backstories on how a lot of the holes got their names, as well. Trailer Trash, The Gar Hole, etc. I let Nick keep all the fillets from the fish we shot out of Hershey Falls ;-) I think we should rename the hole where Beav lost his phone, Bad Reception, Spam, or maybe the Oh $heet hole…

20-May-24
Put me down for a pile of those raffle tickets! This looks like an absolute blast, great work gents!

21-May-24
Strong work boys!

30-May-24

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
“Shore lunch”…..without the shore. Not quite as good, but DANG close!

31-May-24
You guys continue to add to your legends! Great work all around!

31-May-24
That looks like some good eating t-roy!

31-May-24
Holy smokes, that looks like more fun than the law should allow. Congrats fellas. I need to experience this at least once in my life.

31-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
I fried bighead at a Memorial weekend gathering at my old college teammates place! They were amazed at how good it was!

31-May-24

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo

31-May-24
That looks like way too much fun!!! Congrats!!!

31-May-24
Looks like a great time! Congrats guys.

• Sitka Gear