bigeasygator 22-May-24
BC 22-May-24
spike78 22-May-24
spike78 22-May-24
Groundhunter 22-May-24
Dutch oven 22-May-24
21-May-24

Nyati 's Link
Biden is at it again . He’s already depleted strategic oil reserves to the lowest point in recent history. Now he’s releasing NE emergency gas supplies in a purely political play to try and stabilize gas prices.

Emergency oil and gas reserves are supposed to be for man made or natural disasters or war. They’re not supposed to be used to lower gas prices because of self made disastrous energy policies for purely political purposes.

The only reason he’s doing it is to try to drive prices down for Memorial Day travel. He’s willing to bet the nation’s security that we don’t have a natural disaster or war that actually needs the reserves.

21-May-24
Greg, so true and if Trump doesn't win the election our country as we know it will definitely never be the same... unfreakn believable! scentman

21-May-24
According to the article he's releasing one (1) million barrels out of the _364_ million barrels on hand. Can't imagine the natural disaster or war where that would make a critical difference.

Good thing BDS isn't a real thing here ;-)

21-May-24

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo
He’s starting with a million barrels. He started low with strategic reserves too then just kept taking more and more .

The point is why he’s doing it and he’s not doing anything to replace it.

21-May-24
"The point is why he’s doing it"

What other power does a president have to lower gas prices over a short time period, Nyati?

"and he’s not doing anything to replace it"

That's factually inaccurate. Regardless, the need for the SPR isn't what it was 50 years ago when it came into being. But I know, those headlines aren't nearly as post worthy.

21-May-24
Don’t forget WW3 is right around the corner we don’t have an Ef ton of soldiers in Europe for nothing.

21-May-24
It was scheduled to start replenising the Strategic oil reserve last month and Biden and his group canceled it.

21-May-24
It was scheduled to start replenising the Strategic oil reserve last month and Biden and his group canceled it.

21-May-24
BEG, I thought u said a President had little if any power to control prices ?

It’s no secret to anyone with a brain as to why he’s doing it.

He’s doing it to try and decrease gas prices before an election . If he follows his normal pattern he’ll release more before 4th of July and Labor Day as well.

Same plan as his loan forgiveness. Try and “buy” votes before an election.

21-May-24
Biden must not be doing it to control gas prices, because everybody knows no President has the ability to control or influence prices through any means. Must be doing it just because, or for the fun of it

21-May-24
"Don’t forget WW3 is right around the corner we don’t have an Ef ton of soldiers in Europe for nothing. "

Been that way since World War II. Soldiers there *prevent* World War III.

21-May-24
"BEG, I thought u said a President had little if any power to control prices ?"

They don't. Releasing barrels from the SPR isn't exactly "controlling prices." It will move prices...but not by much. Everything I saw said the last SPR release lowered gas prices from anywhere between about 10 to 30 cents per gallon...or something like 2-5%. That level of price movement is practically in the noise. Hence, like I've said, President's have little to no power to move prices. I guess you all feel different and have a different view on how much influence these moves actually have on the market.

21-May-24
There’s a War between Russia and Ukraine. There’s a war between Israel and Hamas in the Middle East right now which is basically a war between Israel and Iran. FBI Wray stated to congress that the threat level is as high as it’s been in his memory and “dangerous individuals “ are coming across our southern border , on May 17th the state department issued a worldwide security alert for Americans traveling out of the country. No, it’s not the same as it has been since WW 2 . It’s different now thanks to Biden and his great leadership in foreign affairs.

21-May-24
Nyati, Why did Trump say not to pass the bipartisan immigration bill? For what reason.

And on WW3 Russia cant beat Ukraine. Two plus years of the war, that they (Russia) thought would last weeks.

21-May-24
Teeton Russia is beating Ukraine welcome to western media lies.

21-May-24
That's news to me that the war between Russia and Ukraine, Israel and Hamas, and tension in the middle east are all new conflicts under Biden.

Regardless, that wasn't my point. From an oil production and energy security perspective, things look a lot different for the US than they did when the SPR was created during the oil embargos of the 70s.

21-May-24
Trump said not to pass the supposedly "bipartisan immigration bill" because it would still allow millions of additonal immigrants to stream across the southern border every year!

And it wasn't broadly bipartisan. It had maybe 4 Republicans supporting it for selfish cheap labor exploitation.... and it never even made it to a vote in the Senate.... and never would have passed that vote.

It was a nothing proposal pushed by nothing humans that did nothing to remedy the immigration problem.

21-May-24
Spike, Why has it gone on so long? Russia thought it would be over in weeks.

21-May-24
I saw that and it's a head scratcher. The commentary I've seen says it's ill advised- a political maneuver for very little effect but leaves us with our pants down. Personally, I don't know enough about it...I do know that since Newsom hammered the refineries here in Ca with more restrictions, Taxes, Fees and regulations- the price of fuel has gone up.

One comment I've seen;

The entire US 1 million barrel Northeast Gasoline Supply Reserve will be required to be sold and closed in fiscal 2024, according to bill text of government funding legislation unveiled Sunday

Did China write this bill? https://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20240304/HMS31169.PDF

21-May-24
Teeton, because Russia does not want to level the country and kill everyone they want Ukraine to go to talks. If Russia was losing then why would Ukraine be begging for more endless money and weapons?

21-May-24
And while we are on Biden here what ever happened with Hawaii? Did the citizens ever get more than $700 each? Funny no talks about that anymore. Biden’s slogan for sure is America last.

21-May-24
Spike, So what's Russia looking for? The Brits were also begging for the same in WW2. Why are you supporting Russia (communism) over a free country? Is it a loss for Ukraine, is a loss for the Biden Administration?

21-May-24

Matt's Link
As Beendare stated, the NE reserve is in the process of being wound down per an act of congress. Moreover, its very existence has been criticized by Republican lawmakers as it was formed through executive action by Obama and not by congress. The timing of the draw-down is no doubt political, but these reserves were going to be eliminated regardless. Another nothingburger thread.

"The move,...follows a mandate from Congress to sell off the 10-year-old Northeast reserve and then close it. The language was included in a spending deal Congress approved in March to avert a partial government shutdown.

"Congressional Republicans have long criticized the Northeast reserve, which was established by former President Barack Obama, saying any such stockpile should have been created by Congress."

21-May-24
"That's news to me that the war between Russia and Ukraine, Israel and Hamas, and tension in the middle east are all new conflicts under Biden.".

This sums it up perfectly!; despite long term tensions and fighting these groups withheld from violence until early 2021. Then all hell broke loose!

21-May-24
Yeah, this tidbit the original Post referenced was buried in Bidens $1.7 Trillion dollar "Infrastructure Bill" that the Democrats pushed and the Congressional Uniparty passed. This was another one of those, 'pass it so we can find out what's in it' Democrat porkapotamus bills...and now we are finding out. Responsible citizens will vote out every single politician that supported this garbage Infrastructure Bill.

The same Infrastructure bill had $7 Billion for EV charging stations- I think it's 8 that were built. Some here in CA have had the cords cut and stolen for the copper, don't work or are placed near homeless encampments and never used- unless you want crack pipe smoke wafting into your car. __________________________________________ Im more worried about the Biden energy policy dragging us down- prioritizing green energy over grid security and producing more reliable power.

By the Energy depts own stats, renewables are only 33% reliable. The EPA can shut down nat gas and coal plants that supply 60% of our power.

They forge ahead on restrictions without viable alternatives weakening our economy.

21-May-24
Teeton the people to blame for the Russian invasion is the western countries going back to 2014. Putin warned them and they didn’t care. The US always has to try and place who they want into office and try and change the country for example Iraq and another example Libya. A corrupt comedian/actor now runs Ukraine as a result. The best way I can explain it is imagine China placed themselves in Mexico and then Canada would the US be happy about that? Their is a lot of politics going on here such as Russia having NATO on its front door if Ukraine is allowed to join which would take away the buffer zone they have and also if you look on a map theirs also a strategic port that could hurt their trades. Ukraine has been warned for years and unfortunately the west told Zelensky to not agree to anything which led to the demise of thousands of Ukrainian soldiers. This media is flat out lying when they say Russia is trying to take over the world. In reality the US flat out said they want to take Russia out by supporting the war, when has Russia said the same? Just the fact that the media claims Putin wants to invade all of Europe tells me that a false flag may be in the near future to invade Russia. Russia has alot of citizens living in Ukraine and if Ukraine joins NATO and Russia goes to help its citizens in the Donbas then NATO is obligated to help Ukraine against Russia. Like I said their is a ton of politics with this and not just Russia invaded a sovereign nation. It is way more complicated then that. Putin most likely thought just rolling in there would persuade Ukraine but he was wrong and is now in a bind but no doubt Russia could destroy Ukraine if they had to but that wasn’t part of the plan.

22-May-24
I don't know much about supply/demand issues with oil or gas, but for sure Biden is trying to buy votes here. The gas and student loan payoffs are certainly no more than vote buying efforts. The "emergency" is Biden is behind in the polls.

22-May-24
Biden has hidden gas supplies... in his depends. ;0) scentman

22-May-24
“ emergency oil and gas reserves are supposed to be for man made or natural disasters”

Biden is literally a man made disaster. That’s all I’ve got on that one.

Spike’s explanation about Russia/Ukraine is right on the mark.

22-May-24
You all must be pissed at the house/senate folks that passed the provision for this in the March spending bill this past spring, which the president signed and thus yes, checked off on selling this. The R-controlled house finally accomplished something this year: passing a spending bill, and it included doing this. If you are super pissed at JB for this move, then may I suggest calling and emailing your R representative and senator in your bright red states and asking them why they did this. Perhaps they have the answers you would like. If they act like they don't know anything about it, maybe ask them why not since they signed off on it before Joe did.

22-May-24
Yes, this is the NE Reserve not the SPR

It’s about 2 hrs worth of fuel. so he’s doing it for political gain not to lower the price

22-May-24
"It’s about 2 hrs worth of fuel. so he’s doing it for political gain not to lower the price"

Or he's doing it because he's mandated by Congress to do so. But hey, keep living in your fantasy world Altitude.

22-May-24
He's mandated by congress to send weapons to Israel also but he held them up.

22-May-24
All politicians do is prepare for the next election. Elections are coming up so what can we do to shut the slaves up. Will you’re a great dude but if you think politicians give a crap about any of us then I don’t know what to tell you. And I’m not talking about Dems or Reps I’m talking about all of them. For once we all need to come together and realize we are just slaves in a giant fish bowl. We have zero say in tax amounts, where it’s spent, if we want wars to happen or not, etc. We work like slaves for them they don’t work for us period. They buy houses on the coast while crying that the sea will rise due to climate change and we buy a piece of shit for way too much money. Please PROVE ME WRONG!

22-May-24
Also please tell us what is going on with Hawaii and why are there videos showing Biden talking about how certain houses with blue roofs were not affected? Right now rebuilding can’t go on due to “contamination” issues. Tulsi Gabbard said that gas stations contaminated the ground but what did a house contaminate that makes it unbuildable again? By the time they rebuild everyone will already need to move out. How convenient.

22-May-24
Lowest reserve supply since 1983

22-May-24
“Or he's doing it because he's mandated by Congress to do so. But hey, keep living in your fantasy world Altitude.”

Says the guy that thought Biden was drawing it from the SPR. Now he’s the expert again. :>))))

Yes it was voted on by Congress to be closed.

But most rational people also understand that Biden only listens to Congress or the Supreme Court when it benefits him. Also most of us realize that this sale just in time for the 4 of July holiday is a record time for the federal government to act on something like this. So most critical thinkers understand it’s political.

And yes republicans do the same pandering.

22-May-24
The move, which the department said is intended to help “lower costs for American families and consumers,? follows a mandate from Congress to sell off the 10-year-old Northeast reserve and then close it. A significant number of House Republicans have lined up in opposition to the spending packages, forcing House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., to use an expedited process to bring the bill up for a vote. That process requires two-thirds of the House to vote for the measure for it to pass. The House passed the measure by a vote of 339-85. This was a mandated sale, one that had to be held----although it sure looks advantageous to Biden politically. If you're a Republican, complain to your Representative. Looks like a lot of them voted to support this budget vote.

• Sitka Gear