onX Maps
Gear Talk....what ya got new this year?!
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
jordanathome 04-Jun-24
Grunt-N-Gobble 04-Jun-24
wyobullshooter 04-Jun-24
wooddamon1 04-Jun-24
Supernaut 04-Jun-24
wv_bowhunter 04-Jun-24
EmptyFreezer 04-Jun-24
Ambush 04-Jun-24
cnelk 04-Jun-24
LUNG$HOT 04-Jun-24
HUNT MAN 04-Jun-24
DConcrete 05-Jun-24
IdyllwildArcher 05-Jun-24
TREESTANDWOLF 05-Jun-24
midwest 05-Jun-24
butcherboy 05-Jun-24
Pyrannah 05-Jun-24
No Mercy 05-Jun-24
Scoot 05-Jun-24
hdaman 05-Jun-24
WV Mountaineer 05-Jun-24
buckeye 05-Jun-24
Grey Ghost 05-Jun-24
csalem 05-Jun-24
Ron Niziolek 05-Jun-24
Bowfreak 05-Jun-24
butcherboy 05-Jun-24
RonP 05-Jun-24
Ironbow 05-Jun-24
BoggsBowhunts 05-Jun-24
Kurt 05-Jun-24
Bowboy 05-Jun-24
t-roy 05-Jun-24
welka 06-Jun-24
12yards 06-Jun-24
OTC_Bowhunter 06-Jun-24
jordanathome 06-Jun-24
jordanathome 06-Jun-24
DConcrete 06-Jun-24
Yooper89 06-Jun-24
bowhunt 07-Jun-24
Vaquero 45 07-Jun-24
Dino 07-Jun-24
Bob J 07-Jun-24
Joe Holden 07-Jun-24
VaBowman 07-Jun-24
CK 07-Jun-24
CK 07-Jun-24
greg simon 07-Jun-24
Basil 08-Jun-24
04-Jun-24

jordanathome's embedded Photo
jordanathome's embedded Photo

jordanathome's Link
So every year ya gotta get something new to get ready for elk hunting season, amiright??!!! Course I am, ya dummy.

So last year I got me this new tree stand that hangs on a receiver that is attached to a tie down strap or a chain. I got the chain version cause I'm cheap.....and fat....and they were out of the tie down strap ones. I looked it up....its a Millenium.....as in Falcon when I go flying outta it. Its got a safety climbing rope....looks suspiciouisly like a knotted up hangman's thang to me though...... Anywhoo.......you hang the chain on the tree and then climb up with the stand attached to a rope so you can haul it up and hang it on the receiver....badda bing, badda boom! You are set to go fall outta the stand. Nice thing is you can set up multiple chains in various trees for variety of spots to hunt/fall from. Then I didn't draw in where I planned to use it so its been chillin' in the basement with my new tree steps/ladder contraption. I drew this year so gonna try 'em out and hopefully live to tell the tale. Stay tuned.....

This year since I'm up in a danged ole tree and shooting at an angle.....I decided to get a new fangled angle adjusting archery rangefinder to lose somewhere in the woods this fall. I went with the Bushnell Bone Collector 1000. Man...who thought that name up? sheesh. Anyway....also in the mail on its way to me. Hoping I can figger out how to run it before I lose it. Lort knows my fav is to forget to use the dang rangefinder and proceed to undershoot then overshoot the target until it gets tired of me and wanders off just as I'm getting dialed in on my 5th arrow. Oh well. I needed something new so this is it.

Whatcha getting new this year?

04-Jun-24
I've got a new Elite Ethos, UV Button release, Sig Saur rangefinder and Kuiu Proximity pants.

04-Jun-24
Looking forward to breaking in my new Elite Allure this year on an elk.

04-Jun-24
I got myself a Waldrop Pacseat to avoid that whole " falling out of my stand" deal. Always had decent luck with critter encounters from the ground, might as well be comfy. Planning on lots of run n bow this upcoming season. Good luck!

04-Jun-24

Supernaut's embedded Photo
Supernaut's embedded Photo
I got a new to me 1972 (my birth year) Bear Super Kodiak that I'm looking forward to hunting with.

This bow was a gift from a great friend and my stick bow mentor.

Good luck all!

04-Jun-24
Haven’t purchased anything yet, but I agree. Always have to pick up something new no matter how hard a fight the urge. lol Strongly considering jumping into the tree saddle game this year.

04-Jun-24
Shootin a Mathews Lift this year. No stabilizers, 3 arrow quiver, just tryin to make as light and quiet as possible. Chasin Elk with Forest this fall. Cant wait to climb the mountain.

04-Jun-24
^^^ Just got a new Lift and I’m also shooting it with no stabilizer and I quit using wrist slings last year too. Seems to shoot great like that.

04-Jun-24
First year in many, many years the ol bow is taking a vacation for the fall.

It’s gonna be a bang bang year.

04-Jun-24
Haven’t pulled the trigger yet but planning on a new Exo Pack. Think I’m gonna go with the K4 3600 in Ranger green. I’ve been carrying the same Eberlestock J34 for the last 10 years. It’s time.

04-Jun-24
Take more than 3 arrows please !!

05-Jun-24
I get a new bow every other year. I bought a new prime VRX 80 Lbs. my new 70 lbs VRX just came in too.

05-Jun-24
Jordan, you are in Colorado, not Alabama.

I have that same treestand. I like it, but mostly I use the ones that are just a bench. I do prefer hanging that style though.

I got a new boat and new binos.

GL on your elk hunt.

05-Jun-24

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
Working through the process with the new RX8 Ultra set up. Still some tweaking to do.

05-Jun-24
I got a new bow as well. My first ever Elite, the Ethos. Going to give it a go at the South Dakota TAC in a couple of weeks then get some Wyoming cow elk blood on it in September.

05-Jun-24
Going to be getting a new Exo pack. Still need to sell a few things and get paid for cutting some wild game on the side. New exodus swept 100 grain broadheads. New pair of Meindl boots. Probably a new pair of solid color Kuiu pants and a shirt or two.

05-Jun-24

Ricky The Cabel Guy's embedded Photo
Ricky The Cabel Guy's embedded Photo

05-Jun-24
man i run out of arrows when i only carry three deer hunting, couldn't imagine only three with elk...

good luck guys... no hiking my bow around in the elk woods this year...

05-Jun-24

No Mercy's embedded Photo
Fell in love with the Lift 29.5 after the first shot. What a dream to shoot!

05-Jun-24
Mach34 for me. Like it so far.

05-Jun-24
New single pin slider sight (MBG) and iron will broadheads for me.

05-Jun-24
New Kanati longbow. 58” ntn. 62@28 is the spec the bowyer is shooting for. I am not getting it until october. But, I’ve got some deer tags already marked for my current longbow. It’s going to be a good time.

05-Jun-24
Haven't purchased anything new in 3 or 4 years. I need arrows and string/cables. Maybe more broadheads.

05-Jun-24
I don't need any new gear, but I did become a believer in Nose Jammer last year, so I'll pick up few more bottles of that stuff.

05-Jun-24
A newer model Atlatl

05-Jun-24
I agree with Hunt, 3 arrows for an elk hunt doesn’t sound like enough. Sure it can be done with just one, but s&@! Happens sometimes and more arrows could come in handy

05-Jun-24
What a bunch of gear whores you all are. :)

05-Jun-24
I wish I was a gear whore. This will be the first new pack I’ve had in over 10 years. First new pair of boots in 16 years. Still the same bow, sight, rest in 12 years. Only thing new in all these years has been arrows and switching broadheads every few years.

05-Jun-24
i would like to get a lightweight bolt action rifle in .308. weight with scope and sling to be about 8 pounds. prefer a 3-position safety and don't want to break the bank. the new lightweight howa's look good but i see mixed reviews about the accuracy.

other than that i have no plans to buy any other gear, at this time. :).

05-Jun-24

Ironbow's embedded Photo
Ironbow's embedded Photo
Black Widow long bow. 60”, 55#. It was a friend’s bow he killed his biggest elk with.

05-Jun-24
Haven’t bought it yet, but eyeing an Allis Chalmers WD45/D17 or a Ford 641 to mess around on and plant some native grass with. Gonna buy one in September so I’m considering it a preseason purchase :)

05-Jun-24
New eyeball lenses post cataract surgery! Loving the clear sight pins and clear target. More peripheral vision, colors pop, etc. Plus full field of view in the binos and spotter.

05-Jun-24

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
I bought an Hoyt RX8. Need to shoot something with it this fall.

05-Jun-24

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I picked this camera arm up at our Deer Classic in March. Used it for filming some spring turkey hunts with my iPhone. So far, I’m loving it. Painted Arrow Outdoors

06-Jun-24
Finally ran out of hypodermic trypan replacement blades so switching to No Collar!

06-Jun-24
In 2008 I bought a Lone Wolf Alpha and three climbing sticks to use for my run and gun style of hunting. I added a fourth stick soon after to get a bit higher. I still love that setup but it is 24 pounds of stuff. Add a fanny pack that weighs near 10 pounds, my bow, and warm clothes and it becomes a lot of weight on a long walk in, especially in hilly country. So I finally bought a lighter stand, an XOP Vanish Evolution which will cut 4 pounds. I need to get some lighter sticks as well. Can't decide between the XOP X2s or the Latitude carbon sticks. Not sure I trust the Latitudes and the offset from the tree isn't as much as the XOPs, but they are lighter. Plus the Latitudes are $$$.

06-Jun-24
Elite Era for me! Shoots like a dream! Maybe some Kuiu gear if I can find a sale.

06-Jun-24
Great stuff boys. I just checked out 8 game cams and refreshed with new batts and clean SD cards. Added my name, addy and phone # with my wife's label maker.....and added labels to my treestand to comply with the regs to boot! Trying to decide if'n I drive up and check out the roads and maybe hang a camera or 3 this Saturday.........prolly still snow drifted back over the roads this time of year. Hm.......take the hammock and a bag and spend the night so I can glass the meadows.....hmmmmmmm.........

06-Jun-24
Ordered some replacement blazer vanes and glue. After pricing new arrows (VAP RIP TKO Elite 350's) and broadheads I think I will spend some time maintaining what I got. ouch I am trying out nokturnal lighted nocks for grins.

06-Jun-24
It all sounds good. Seasons will be upon us soon!

06-Jun-24
I haven’t made a purchase in a couple of years it seems like. I will be upgrading my tent to an argali teepee at some point but with the hunts I have on the books the next 3 years I don’t think it’ll be totally necessary.

07-Jun-24
I haven’t bought a new bow, or archery stuff for probably 10 years. I have got a couple used bows in that time.

Ordered the new PSE Mach bow, and I ordered a spot hawg 5 pin sight

It’s been so many years since I used the slider function on my Montana black gold sight, I figured I might as well just get a fixed 5 pin. Ordered the new vapor trail gen 7 rest also.

Kind of excited to to try some new stuff out!

Hopefully it all shows up this weekend

07-Jun-24
I kinda have more stuff that at my old arse age than I need . However I been eyeing to pull the trigger on a set of higher end ILF longbow limbs to hook on my WF19 riser and play with . Also I need to order me a Thermocell Backpacker Mosquito repellar .

07-Jun-24
Treestandwolf! That’s a beautiful rx8! Custom order? pls keep us up to speed on how you like it and how it performs! So far my new gear is the larger Mystery Ranch Treehouse pack. It’s fleece covered and should be good for long sits in a tree in the Edmonton BZ!

07-Jun-24
Couple Randall knives. A 21 and 26 Pathfinder. Hope I get to use them next fall

07-Jun-24

Joe Holden's embedded Photo
Joe Holden's embedded Photo
Got a Maverick blind set up on a rut funnel and actually got a food plot to start growing in front of it. Guess the only other thing needed is a chair to sit in!

07-Jun-24
Got a Lift 29.5 for the September Bear hunt in New Brunswick.

07-Jun-24

CK's embedded Photo
Dual STCs
CK's embedded Photo
Dual STCs
CK's embedded Photo
Kifaru ARK frame
CK's embedded Photo
Kifaru ARK frame

07-Jun-24

07-Jun-24
I got a new pair of Crispi boots in the mail today. Like Christmas, except I had to pay for them myself.

08-Jun-24
A down payment on Africa in 2025. Trying to cut back on unneeded purchases so I can take more African animals.

• Sitka Gear