Mathews Inc.

Much of the "stalking" was laying in the hot sun waiting for a group of sheep or deer to make a move from their beds and hope for an opportunity. I had snuck into a position at a canyon crossing and had been watching a ram a couple hundred yards away that was standing watch over the gulch. I lay there for hours and he stood his ground like a statue. Eventually I dozed off and when I woke up I saw these two other, nicer rams straight across the gulch from me at 80 yards. I watched these two in addition to the other for several more hours. I filmed them here and then my battery died. I could have changed batteries but I was afraid to move. Later they rose from their beds and one began to ram a tree to shake the pea like pods down and eat them. When the other ram tried to sneak a bite the upper ram pushed him off a ledge....fortunately for the ram it was only about a 6-8 ft fall. They then went lower into the gulch to ram some other trees. I waited patiently...but at some point I dozed off again and was awakened to a tree shaken real close to me. I waited for the ramming of the trees again to pinpoint the location and a tree shook about 40 yards away but on my side of the gulch. As I crept towards the shaken tree, suddenly a tree was rammed right next to me...about 3 ft away. I peeked over the rock ledge and saw a ram directly below me at 10 yds. I retreated, drew, and leaned forward to take the shot from above. Upon releasing the arrow it exploded on the edge of the rock ledge. In my sights I had cleared it but not in actual flight. The ram fled and I feared I had blown a golden opportunity....then suddenly the other tree that was 40 yds away was rammed again. There were actually 3 rams banging trees and 2 were still there. I snuck forward but couldn't see them because they were so close to the cliff walls below me. After a few minutes he exposed himself and I put my 20 yrd pin behind his shoulder. I saw it hit too far back and the arrow confirmed a gut shot that entered high and exited low. It was 6 pm so I left him alone to return in the morning. The next day revealed a blood trail that looked like a heart shot though I knew it wasn't. I expected to find him dead in the shade of a tree but after about a 200 yrd run with a steady blood flow he had crashed in the open. The arrow must have hit a major artery and he had died within seconds of being hit.

Details about Breck Dickinson 's hunt

Hunt Details

Date Killed - 07/30/2012
State - Ha
County - Maui
Time of Day - Afternoon
Sex - M
Sheep - all types

Equipment Details

Bow Make/Model - Matthews drenalin
Broadhead - Thunderhead 100gr
Arrow - Carbon/Graphite