onX Maps

I was able to get in to 80 yards of this buck early in the morning and just hoped that he'd get up and come my way, but the wind flickered just enough to alert him and the 3 bucks he was with to the human presence in the area. I waited for them to cross over the ridge before following and was able to spot them bedding down in a break in a dam. It was a perfect location for me, and I was able to get in to 15 yards from the closest buck at 33 yards from this one. He had dug himself a bed into the dirt bank overhang so that only his head and neck was exposed. The closest buck was bedded facing me, and I knew that he'd see me as soon as he stood, so I waited with an arrow nocked and my release on the string. The sun was nearly on him so I knew that it wouldn't be long. He started to look around after about 15 minutes, and when his head dipped down, I drew. As soon as he stood, he locked on to me and blew out. The big buck didn't even look, he just evacuated his bed as fast as he could. Luckily, he stopped and did the classic muley look-back at what I figured to be 45 yards. The VPA took out the top of his heart and he barely made it 100 yards before expiring.

Details about Sean Buckley 's hunt

Hunt Details

Date Killed - 09/14/2016
State - AB
County - Alberta
Time of Day - Morning
Sex - M
Mule Deer

Equipment Details

Bow Make/Model - 2011 Bowtech Invasion CPX
Broadhead - VPA 150 grain 3 blade
Arrow - Carbon/Graphite