bow_dude 19-Dec-10
Charlie - SA 12-Feb-11
Ziek 12-Feb-11
Purdue 12-Feb-11
Beendare 12-Feb-11
Ziek 12-Feb-11
Purdue 12-Feb-11
14-Dec-10
I am not particularly attentive to the arrow speeds that many bows are capable of producing.

However, I have wondered many times if there is a chart or a table where a person can enter their arrow mass, and their arrow speed (taken from a chronograph RIGHT in front of the bow riser) to actually determine arrow speed at 20 yards or 40 yards. Does anyone know of such a data source?

I have always wondered how much velocity is lost (and how slowly/quickly it is lost) as an arrow travels downrange......

14-Dec-10

Eagle's Link
Follow this link, and click on the science of arrow flight link on that page. It's a PDF of an experiment conducted by myself and a couple of friends while in college. Skip ahead to page 14 for graphical interpretations of the data, the raw data is a few pages below.

14-Dec-10
I should add that regardless of the original speed, the drop off should follow the same basic ratio we experienced. The drag of the arrow is what will dictate how much speed is lost, not the initial velocity. Vane size, arrow diameter, arrow length, vane type, nock type, broadhead type, wrap vs. no wrap can all play a part in how much speed you lose. But I can't see it being more than a 1-2% difference from one arrow to the next within 60 or 70 yards.

14-Dec-10
Jake, I did a "layman's test"...last winter...bored I guess. My 422 grain arrow (4 blazer vane config) shot at point blank range through the chrono travels at 265 fps. I then shot the same arrow (and same bow) 20 yds from the chrono and it registered 255 fps. It is a 20 yd indoor range, so couldn't go any further. Hope this helps!

14-Dec-10
I think that Dave Holt author of Balanced Bowhunting did an experiment with lighter vs. heavier arrows and which lost more speed etc. at longer distances and it was published in a Bowhunter Magazine a long time ago. if someone has this article, it might help answer your questions.

14-Dec-10
eagle, fig.2 pg.13 shows 65" drop at 50 yds.?

really?

nicely done, BTW

14-Dec-10

Tilzbow's Link
Jake,

Go to the website, scroll down using the menu on the left to "Balistic Calc" (it's nearly at the bottom) and that'll give you a tool that'll provide the data you're looking for. I can't vouch for the accuracy since I haven't checked it but it should be close.

I use a tool called Archery Program Pro that's pretty accurate and interactive but it's not free. It does lots more than give estimated downrange velocity and energy. I used it to print a sight tape for my Tommy Hogg that seems accurate out to 120 yards but it's damn hard to know for sure since 120 is a long ways out....

Scott

14-Dec-10

Tilzbow's Link
Here's a link to the Archery Program Pro.

15-Dec-10
Thanks guys...this is exactly the kind of info that I have wondered about many times......

15-Dec-10
T.A.P. (The Archery Program) a computer program you can purchase will do exactly what you are looking for. It will give you arrow drop as well as k.e., speed, and a few other bits of information. It is in the Balistics report. It will give you the information out to 200 yards. Very useful when you are trying to decide what arrow combination to use for what ever reason. It is surprising how much the lighter arrows stabilize beyond 40 yards. The bow and the vanes or feathers makes a big difference.

15-Dec-10
I have seen consistently that heavier arrows hold speed better down range than lighter arrows when shot through chrono's out to about 35yds. Simmilar to the poster above. Couldnt tell you a % or anything... Just messing round to see how things were effected.

The thought process ended up that a mid weight arrow was great because you had speed for shooting fairly flat but also better down range energy.

15-Dec-10
"I have seen consistently that heavier arrows hold speed better down range than lighter arrows when shot through chrono's out to about 35yds."

That is one of the main advantages of shooting a heavy arrow, it maintains its velocity and therefore its KE. The further the shot the greater the advantage in KE.

A 350 grain arrow will lose about 12% of its kinetic energy at 40 yards, were as a 450 grain arrow will only lose about 4% - 6% of it energy at the same distance.

It's also one of the main disadvantages. The further the shot the more critical distance estimation becomes due to the rapid change in trajectory with heavy arrows.

16-Dec-10
Purdue, while what you are stating may be right (seems a bit high to me) the K.E. on the lighter arrow starts out much higher than the heavier arrow when both arrows are shot from the same bow, so when you get to say 50 yards, there really isn't that much difference in the K.E. between the two, although the K.E. will be higher on the heavier arrow. I ran the balastics report on several arrows when I was trying to decide what weight arrow to use for an antelope hunt. At 50 yards, if I remember right, the heavier arrow was less than 5 (I think it is measured in foot pounds) more than the lighter arrow I was comparring. I found that after 30 yards, they loose pretty much the same amount equally. Now this will vary with the bow you are shooting. None of this have I proven by shooting, just using the computer program, which seems to be quite accurate.

17-Dec-10
With vaned arrows shooting field points, I saw data 15 years ago that indicated about a 17% loss of initial velocity at, ummm, 40 yards. Always wanted to do some testing with heavy and light arrows shot at moderate and high velocities to learn more.

We know that extreme fletching known as flu-flu has little impact on initial velocity but all but stops the arrow a relatively short distance out. I conclude variations in fletching will have a measurable impact on downrange speed and, therefore, trajectory.

18-Dec-10
Thats true Don. I like to play archery golf. I can get out to 500 yards distance using the right arrow setup and vanes. If I go feathers with the same arrow, I will loose a little over 100 yards distance. The charts say feathers will drop off in speed much faster than vanes. You will start to see the difference after 30 yards.

18-Dec-10
"You will start to see the difference after 30 yards."

Hopefully the difference won't be seen much then? Bowhunting is a close-range sport. I have killed two elk at 40 yards. I wish I could have been closer. In any case, I don't falt someone who can make a lethal shot at a distance farther than what I can. Even so, I wish we would worry more about our ability and less about the ability of the technology we carry.

I'm not trying to start any controversies, just advertising my thoughts.

18-Dec-10
I wanted to see what speed my bow was shooting at 50 yds. But my first try I hit my crono. And distroyed it.

18-Dec-10
Artic... your comments are well taken, but for a lot of us, hunting only takes place a very short time of the year and we spend much more time shooting 3-d. So, this information becomes quite valuable for the other types of shooting. Many of the 3-d courses I have shot have shots exceeding 40 yards and a novility shot or two at 60 to 80 yards. When you are trying to get a flat trajectory so you minimize the effect of distance mis-judgment, the right arrow setup becomes as critical as the speed of the arrow.

18-Dec-10
Bigdan, LOL!

19-Dec-10
"Purdue, while what you are stating may be right (seems a bit high to me) the K.E. on the lighter arrow starts out much higher than the heavier arrow when both arrows are shot from the same bow, ..."

Are you sure about that? I think you will find that the KE of the heavier/slower arrow usually starts out slightly greater than that of a lighter/faster arrow when shot from the same bow.

19-Dec-10
Purdue... I ran some different arrow weights for a comparrison. Here are the results. Now, don't shoot the messanger, I am only quoting what T.A.P. says.

These arrows are figured using my Elite GT500. Other manufacturers bows will differ.

Elite GT500 - 30 inch draw, 70 lbs, 352 grain arrow, feathers

At the bow, speed = 325.9, k.e. = 83.2 20 yards - speed = 315.6, k.e. = 78.1 30 yards - speed = 310.6, k.e. = 75.6 40 yards - speed = 305.8, k.e. = 73.3 50 yards - speed = 301, k.e. = 71 60 yards - speed = 296.4, k.e. = 68.8

Elite GT500 - 30 inch draw 70 lbs, 400 grain arrow, feathers

At the bow, speed = 300.2, k.e. = 79.3 20 yards - speed = 291, k.e. = 74.5 30 yards - speed = 286.5, k.e. = 72.3 40 yards - speed = 282.1, k.e. = 70.1 50 yards - speed = 277.9, k.e. = 68 60 yards - speed = 273.8, k.e. = 66

Elite GT500 - 30 inch draw 70 lbs, 432 grain arrow, feathers

At the bow, speed = 287.8, k.e. = 79.5 20 yards - speed = 279.7, k.e. = 75.1 30 yards - speed = 275.7, k.e. = 73 40 yards - speed = 271.9, k.e. = 71 50 yards - speed = 268.2, k.e. = 69.1 60 yards - speed = 264.6, k.e. = 67.2

According to T.A.P. and my bow, the heavier arrow doesn't catch up to k.e. until 60 yards. Beyond 60, the heavier arrow wins.

I can't vouch for the heavier arrows, as I have not shot them through the chrono to prove or disprove their calculated speed, only the lightest arrow and I have only chrono'd it at the bow and 25 yards.

19-Dec-10
(let's try it again and see if it is clearer to read)

Purdue... I ran some different arrow weights for a comparrison. Here are the results. Now, don't shoot the messanger, I am only quoting what T.A.P. says.

These arrows are figured using my Elite GT500. Other manufacturers bows will differ.

At the bow, speed = 325.9, k.e. = 83.2

20 yards - speed = 315.6, k.e. = 78.1

30 yards - speed = 310.6, k.e. = 75.6

40 yards - speed = 305.8, k.e. = 73.3

50 yards - speed = 301, k.e. = 71

60 yards - speed = 296.4, k.e. = 68.8

At the bow, speed = 300.2, k.e. = 79.3

20 yards - speed = 291, k.e. = 74.5

30 yards - speed = 286.5, k.e. = 72.3

40 yards - speed = 282.1, k.e. = 70.1

50 yards - speed = 277.9, k.e. = 68

60 yards - speed = 273.8, k.e. = 66

At the bow, speed = 287.8, k.e. = 79.5

20 yards - speed = 279.7, k.e. = 75.1

30 yards - speed = 275.7, k.e. = 73

40 yards - speed = 271.9, k.e. = 71

50 yards - speed = 268.2, k.e. = 69.1

60 yards - speed = 264.6, k.e. = 67.2

According to T.A.P. and my bow, the heavier arrow doesn't catch up to k.e. until 60 yards. Beyond 60, the heavier arrow wins.

I can't vouch for the heavier arrows, as I have not shot them through the chrono to prove or disprove their calculated speed, only the lightest arrow and I have only chrono'd it at the bow and 25 yards.

19-Dec-10
(One more time for clarity)

At the bow, speed = 325.9, k.e. = 83.2

20 yards - speed = 315.6, k.e. = 78.1

30 yards - speed = 310.6, k.e. = 75.6

40 yards - speed = 305.8, k.e. = 73.3

50 yards - speed = 301, k.e. = 71

60 yards - speed = 296.4, k.e. = 68.8

At the bow, speed = 300.2, k.e. = 79.3

20 yards - speed = 291, k.e. = 74.5

30 yards - speed = 286.5, k.e. = 72.3

40 yards - speed = 282.1, k.e. = 70.1

50 yards - speed = 277.9, k.e. = 68

60 yards - speed = 273.8, k.e. = 66

At the bow, speed = 287.8, k.e. = 79.5

20 yards - speed = 279.7, k.e. = 75.1

30 yards - speed = 275.7, k.e. = 73

40 yards - speed = 271.9, k.e. = 71

50 yards - speed = 268.2, k.e. = 69.1

60 yards - speed = 264.6, k.e. = 67.2

19-Dec-10
sorry for the multiple posts. I was trying to clean it up so it was easier to read. The third change did't do anything. I was trying to seperate the 3 different arrow weights better.

19-Dec-10
Bow_dude, that's interesting. Thanks for the post. I assume ALL of the data is theoretical. Is that right? Here are some actual measurements at the bow for different weight arrows that I got from my setup.

659 grains..........44.85 ft-lbs KE

584 grains..........43.80 ft-lbs KE

507 grains..........43.48 ft-lbs KE

498 grains..........44.07 ft-lbs KE

433 grains..........43.03 ft-lbs KE

347 grains..........41.95 ft-lbs KE

Given the accuracy tolerance of my chronograph, the calculated KE could vary about +/- .6 ft-lbs.

19-Dec-10
Purdue,

Can you offer any explanation for the KE increasing when the arrow weight dropped 11 grains (from 507 grains to 498 grains?) Chronograph variation? The +/- variation might be a little greater than .6 wouldn't it....that just matches the next lower value.......no addtional extrapolation considered?

Jake

19-Dec-10
Most likely it was due to the chronograph's accuracy tolerance, but these were also two different arrows with different nocks mfg. Perhaps the nock fit to the string accounted for some of the variation???? Also there is possible rounding error in averaging the 5 shot groups and in the KE calculation. If all of the variation is in the same "direction", it can add up.

However, the trend and the logic seems to indicate that more weight (mass) = more bow efficiency = more KE.

19-Dec-10
Purdue,

It is theory... most of it. As I mentioned, the 352 grain arrow was measured with a chrono. To be right honest, The 352 arrow was an arrow I used last year for 3-d and golf. I think it was vanes. The others were another arrow I used with feathers and I think I just changed the weight of the arrow to get the data. So, this may be showing vanes vrs feathers, which the feathers at longer distances will slow down much faster. I have a new light for my Pro Chrono that my wife is giving me for christmas. I can run the number again, after christmas, only this time do an actual shot through the chrono for each of the different weights. That will give a more accurate picture of what is going on. I had to change the arrow shaft on the heavier arrow to get the correct spine as when I increased the tip weight, the spine became all out of whack. That probably doesn't matter for the computer, only when actually putting an arrow through the bow.

12-Feb-11
Scrounging around on the internet for ballistics info (primarily for handgun bullet calculations) I found a book that sounds like the answer to some of these questions. "Archery Ballistics ....its history and modern use", www.Strikepoint-Press.com

12-Feb-11
I won't say always, because there may be exceptions, but a heavier arrow should have more KE and more Momentum shot out of the same bow because it absorbs more of the energy from the bow. That's also why they're quieter.

A heavier arrow starts out with more energy and momentum, and retains it better downrange because it looses velocity at a slower rate. It looses velocity at slower rate for two reasons. First it's heavier, so it has more momentum. Also, drag varies by the square of velocity, so the faster arrow has more drag, and therefore slows faster initially than the heavier/slower one.

12-Feb-11
I agree with everything you said Ziek, but there is something that has never made sense to me.

If the heavy arrow has more energy and retains it better, why do distance shooters (flight archery) alway shoot the lightest arrow possible that gives good flight ? Why doesn't the heavier arrow go further?

12-Feb-11
I would question the accuracy of the TAP program for this.

While chrono'ing different weight arrows with my Matthews LX and Bowtech Ally bows, the KE always went UP with the heavier arrows.

12-Feb-11
Purdue,

Energy/momentum and velocity/max range are two different things. I have to assume that they use very little fletching, so drag is not as great an issue as that required to stabilize a BH. Also, speed. This is the ONLY advantage to a light arrow. A heavier/slower arrow is in flight longer for the same distance traveled, thus the force of gravity effects it for a longer period of time. This is why a lighter arrow has a flatter trajectory and goes farther shot out of the same bow. Now if you launch the heavier arrow at the same speed as the lighter one, it WILL go farther.

At normal bow hunting ranges, speed is simply not an issue. Momentum translated into penetration potential is much more important.

12-Feb-11
"I have to assume that they use very little fletching, so drag is not as great an issue as that required to stabilize a BH."

That's right, very small fletching and even elliptical shaped shafts to minimize drag, but the lighter / faster arrow still has more drag due to its higher velocity, at least initially. At some distance the heavier arrow should go faster than the light arrow.

"A heavier/slower arrow is in flight longer for the same distance traveled, thus the force of gravity effects it for a longer period of time."

I see what you are saying. I just thought that the longer time of flight might also mean that it could go further especially since it is going faster for part of its flight.

I haven't actually tried this, but i would think that a heavy flu-flu arrow would go further than a light flu-flu a arrow. Weight is trumping drag as far as distance is concerned.

Evidently there is a point, as you diminish drag, where weight is no longer helpful, as flight archery demonstrates.

"Momentum translated into penetration potential is much more important."

I still can't buy that. At least it isn't always true. Have you seen these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4RGcyZ_gJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAfK0sBsZBw

My own tests at close range demonstrates the same. I would think that downrange results would be different.

• Sitka Gear