Nick Muche 31-Jan-14
Redman 31-Jan-14
GhostBird 31-Jan-14
BowMad23 31-Jan-14
Bob H in NH 31-Jan-14
mick 31-Jan-14
MathewsMan 31-Jan-14
28-Jan-14
I have read that many here have gone on several guided hunts. Several species.

I have never been on a guided hunt and Im curious as to how much these hunts have cost you guys over the years?

Are they worth it?

28-Jan-14
I have only been on a few myself but they were all well worth it. I have spent probably $10,000-$12,000 with the majority of that being on one trip to Africa. Any money I spend on hunting is worth it to me though. It takes the #1 priority for my personal expendable income. Hence my 2 vehicles have a combined 440,000 miles on them. I would hate to guess how much money I have spent locally and on DIY out of state hunts, equipment, fuel and food.

28-Jan-14
About 1/4 mill in the last 10 years. 90% of the hunts were worth it.

28-Jan-14
Last season:

Newfoundland Moose $4800 Alabama whitetail $2600

The moose hunt was overpriced IMO, I think I would do it differently next time. Alabama deer hunting is always overpriced but its a relaxing hunt and I don't mind paying as long as the food and lodge are nice.

I do a big trip every other year, my next quest is an elk, moose, or bear hunt.

I did a NM mule deer hunt $3500 that to this day I still think was worth every penny I paid. Extremely remote and fun, tough getting shots but we saw a ton of huge animals.

28-Jan-14
Hardly any, and likely never will. Been hunting for over 50 years and am sure I love it every bit as much as anyone on here, but the idea of taking thousands of dollars out of the family coffers so I could "go play" strikes me as just plain wrong.

Now if I had remained a single guy with no responsibilities, different story.

28-Jan-14
So far worth every penny. Work with a quality consultant such as Bow & Arrow Adventures and it takes all the gambling away. I won't book a hunt without Scott's service.

28-Jan-14

Jaquomo_feral's embedded Photo
Jaquomo_feral's embedded Photo
$5K each for two Quebec caribou hunts (included fishing for giant brookies and Atlantic salmon). Absolutely worth every penny - two trips of a lifetime.

Today that same hunt is about $8K, and the herds are way down. Not sure if it would be worth it now unless somebody needed a QL caribou for some "list".

I hope to go on an Alaska archery moose hunt before I get too old, and will go guided unless I can hook up with a bunch of young, strong, not-too-bright guys to pack it out.

28-Jan-14
$0

28-Jan-14
ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Spent a few dollars on elk, moose and other animals.

If your schedule is limited and you are a mid-upper income family guided hunts are likely your best option.

If you fall below that I do agree that guided hunts are a tough sell in because they are expensive and your money probably should be put elsewhere.

DIY hunts don't work for me because I want to see all the different type of country that's out there AND I usually have 7-8 days max for a hunt.

So a great guided hunt accomplishes everything I am looking for in a hunt - great land, animals, food and scenery. It maximizes my time.

28-Jan-14
I have enjoyed many kinds of hunts. Many guided, many unguided. I would say some are definitely worth the cost and some are definitely not worth the cost. Much depends upon the individual outfitter and area.

I seem to hunt for different reasons than many or most. I have no interest in being a "list hunter" killing a Grand this or a Pitiful 17. I seek animals that I would enjoy looking at in my trophy room and that can be hunted in fair chase. I refuse to hunt over bait or sit water or shoot from a truck or a tree. To me that is not hunting. Nor would it require a guide, any special skill or expertise.

I do not hunt for "the experience" as some say they do. I have experienced far too many expensive walks in the mountains and woods. Spent literally years of my life on unsuccessful hunts.

I enjoy a successful hunt, but no success is just not that enjoyable on an expensive hunt. Or, even a cheap one. If I simply want outdoor experience, I can hunt something at home most every day of the year, and I do that as well. Most of the "I would never hire a guide" clan are not too successful on anything other than common animals local to them or the occasional out of state deer or elk. That is fine, but far too limited if you can do otherwise.

I do not shoot animals I would find unappealing to display unless they are tasty and I want the meat.

Hunters who make a big deal out of not paying guides simply are not hunting many of the animals I do. There are no do it yourself Stone's sheep hunts for NR's. Very few of us can hunt Bighorn Sheep, Brown Bear, Grizzly Bear, Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Lion and many others without a guide. I would not like being that limited.

Also, even on a permit that allows unguided hunting, who wants to wait over 20 years and not give it a better chance by hiring a local, knowledgeable guide? Many of the permits will only be drawn once in a lifetime.

I have been called out on this site for hiring guides, hiring a consulting biologist etc. Mostly by people who cannot do so or are too cheap to do so. For me educating yourself, surrounding yourself with experts in any endeavor always produces better results. I seek results.

It is important for me to be a full participant in the hunt. I would not care to be 'on call' for a Mt Lion that someone else located the track. I pack my own loads, pack out my own meat etc. I have guided dozens of hunters to trophies and been guided dozens of times. For me it is simply about making the best use of my time and limited opportunity permits.

Others have their own views and most of them differ from mine. That is the beauty of hunting, we are to some degree free to set our own agenda, make our own plans. That is what I find so funny about 'list hunters'. They hunt, but seem to seek someone else's approval or direction. Paradoxically it seems.

28-Jan-14
We get on these sites and visit the dream of one day going on a hunt to perssue a species that many times, without the help of a professional outfitter, are unattainable. Many hunters from many sites, find success using the services an outfitter provides as one of the really cheaper ways to have a short, successful hunt.

It was explained to me by more than one of my guests more than once over the years like this: The guest says for him to take time and round up enough bait, scout, get permission to hunt, keep running to check his baits and restocking etc., wear and tear on his vehicle, only to find out he's hunting an educated bear that's nocturnal or that bear is travelling between multi bait sites, or run by dogs right out of the county...compared to paying for a hunt, where all there was for him to do was get ready to hunt undisturbed bear, and where all the work was done for him long before showing up to a camp, was saving him money along with a good chance of success at the end, without loosing any more than a week away from his job, all was saving the hunter money booking a hunt.

28-Jan-14
Of course it's worth it! No one would keep doing it if it wasn't rewarding to them, which is probably why demand for guided hunts is at all all-time high. I'd like to guide and outfit myself on every hunt, but that's impossible because there are so many great NA species that, as lower-48'ers, we can't legally hunt unguided even if we wanted to. When choosing to spend money on guided hunts, it's all about personal priorities. If big-game bowhunting is one of your top priorities in life, pour the resources to it just as soon as you can. My goal is to avoid the "too soon old, too late smart" paradigm ;-)

28-Jan-14
A guided bear hunt is a great investment. The guides have done 90% of the work before you get there. The hunter just has to sit patiently, keep his Thermacell stoked and shoot accurately. Very relaxing way to kick off Spring.

Of course a guided hunt for elk is a bunch more work for the hunter but on my radar for the future

28-Jan-14
Do you ever ask a smoker how much they spend on smokes over their life, how about how much people spend on alcohol or how much to eat at restaurants. Just depends on what you are into and goals for your life.

Recently watched my 85 year old grandfather die a fairly slow death due to a variety of health issues, he had some money in the bank and never went on a guided hunt in his life. There were several times he told me how glad he was to see me doing it while I am young and healthy. Much more than life than worrying spending a little cash on something you are pationiate about.

28-Jan-14
"Hardly any, and likely never will. Been hunting for over 50 years and am sure I love it every bit as much as anyone on here, but the idea of taking thousands of dollars out of the family coffers so I could "go play" strikes me as just plain wrong."

If you hunt at all you're taking money out of the "family coffers" just so you can play. Over 50 years, likely "thousands".

28-Jan-14
I am in no way worried about spending any amount of cash on something Im passionate about.

Like I mentioned, I have never been on a guided hunt, but that doesnt mean I havent achieved my own goals.

I have taken moose, caribou, elk, WT deer, mule deer, and bear without hiring a guide.

I understand that there are certain species that a guide is required, but those arent part of my goals.

Maybe someday I will, but it has to be worth it

28-Jan-14

Stick's embedded Photo
Stick's embedded Photo
I've been on 2 guided elk hunts in Wyoming with the same outfitter.(Swift Creek Outfitters) The cost of the hunt was $4,500 plus about $1100 for the tag. Worth every penny. These guys have the horses, the equipment, the knowledge, and the experience. There is just no way a guy like me from the midwest could go into this country unguided and on foot and expect anything other than failure.

28-Jan-14
Just seems wrong.

28-Jan-14
Last year about $40,000, which included a sheep hunt in BC. This year, ~ $31,000 so far but if I take a grizzly on a goat hunt I'm planning, the trophy fee will take it to $40,000.

I'm 65 and don't want to get to be 75 or 80, not able to hunt the high mountains, but with more money than I need in my investment accounts.

My goal is to have lots of things on my bucket list when I die, but none of which have been on the list for more than a few years.

28-Jan-14
None.

Considered it a few times, but always decided against it. Never paid for access up front, either, although I was glad to say thanks with a nice gift several times.

Not knocking it for anyone else. I just always considered the research and preparation, and the camping in the area, to be as much or more of the process than the thrill of stalking or ambushing. Seemed to me like I would have been paying someone else to enjoy half the fun for me.

Few heads on my wall, but lots of memories of backpacking into mountains as the snows were starting to stick on the higher slopes, and getting acquainted with ranchers while arranging permission on their spreads. And driving through lots of territory and enjoying the experience of doing my own scouting.

The goal was the same as the guided hunter, to take that big wall-hanger. The level of satisfaction with returning without doing so was, I suspect, higher.

If I put myself in a position to see a few nice ones and get a stalking opportunity or two, and spent little enough that I could start planning next year's trip as I drove home, I had a successful trip.

And there were times when I was able to go for two weeks in different areas on one trip, when I could have gone for one week maybe every third year or so on a guided hunt.

I was a skilled tradesman in a large defense plant, often working all the overtime I would have wanted, and paid off the mortgage in time to help our son get through college with no debt, and help a few family members from time to time. Could have spent more on hunting trips, but I can honestly say I don't have any regrets about passing them up in favor of my DIY experiences. Well, maybe one...I was thinking very hard about going on a drop camp (by boat) moose hunt on an island in Ontario about thirty years ago, and still kinda wish I'd have given that a try while I was young enough. No way I'd consider it without at least an outfitter to do the retrieval, and one was necessary to access that island.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm a DIY enthusiast in all my home and vehicle maintenance, often benefitting the family budget and sometimes...not so much. Usually there too, I've enjoyed the experience. But there have been moments when I've thought about the carefree life of those who rent an apartment and drive a leased vehicle. 8^)

28-Jan-14
I could have 2 new corvette's in my gargage, and maybe a BMW too!!!!

28-Jan-14
Paid a guy $25 to let me turkey hunt on his farm once. Also did a pig hunt in Texas for $500. Other than that the only way I would consider a guided hunt is for an animal I could not harvest in my home state. Black bear being at the top of the list. I would love to go to a place like Bear Track and take a bear and would be darn proud of it. Just not in the cards right now with 3 kids at home and other responsibilities. I envy you guys that can take multiple hunts each year. I hope you know how blessed you are, I also know how hard some of you guys have worked to earn that blessing!

28-Jan-14
In 1979, I went on my first out-of-state, guided bowhunt for mule deer in Western Colorado. Even though I did not harvest an animal- I had a blast. I met a guy from California on that hunt who was a great bowhunter who convinced me and my hunting partner that we should meet him and his buddies for a DIY mule deer hunt in Utah in 1981.

In 1981, we met a the designated camping location on a Sunday afternoon and set up camp with high expectations. Monday morning the sun rose and then great explosions began sounding off all around us. Seimographic blasting was being conducted all around us of oil. In 2 days time all deer and elk had relocated to calmer areas. We then went to another area of "so-called promise". Here were found an abundance of bowhunters who had scored early and again game was scattered.

On that 1981 trip, I made a vow with myself that I would never make another DIY out-of-state bowhunting trip. Based on limited resources and limited available hunting time since I was using my vacation time, it would be cheaper in the long-run to stick with guided operations who know what is going on in their area (game movement, weather conditions, etc.)

I have been true to my vow and since 1981 have always gone on guided hunts. I have not always been successful harvesting game , but I have always had a fun time and some great adventures.

As far as in-state deer hunting- I am a strictly a DIY hunter.

How much $$$ have I spent on guided hunts? I have no idea and would not even venture to try to determine the cost, I can say that my hunting adventures over the years have been priceless. At 66 year of age, I simply pray that I health holds up to allow me to afford more hunting adventures in the future.

28-Jan-14
Never been on a guided hunt and never will. To each his own, but for me a hunt is a very personal challenge. It's me vs the animal, not my guide vs the animal. Unfortunately this means even if I someday have the means, there are a lot of species that I will never be able to legally hunt.

I have a feeling over the course of my life I will come home empty handed more times than not, but I doubt I will consider any trips "a failure".

That said I almost paid a small amount of money to have an outfitter haul me in to his archery elk camp where he did not have any hunters for the week. I would have hunted unguided. In the end I decided that there is no reason I shouldn't be able to backpack into my own area, so I went 100% DIY and I'm glad I did. I didn't come home with an elk but I came home with an awful lot of great memories!

28-Jan-14
I don't know why anyone would ever feel guilty about going on a guided hunt if it was within the realm of fiscal responsibility.

As a kid growing up in Wisconsin and Minnesota I was exposed to hunting at a very early age. I loved every kind of hunting but especially looked forward to the deer season. There were really only two activities that I was passionate about.... hunting and dreaming about hunting! As a kid I used like to read the stories in Field & Stream about big game adventures and would always dream about going on one myself some day.

Now that I'm older and can afford these things, why in the world would I NOT? It isn't like you can hunt elk in Wisconsin, so if you want to hunt an elk you're going to have to go a hell of a long way from home to do it. With a limited amount of time I can afford to take of of work a DIY hunt isn't even practical. In my case a guided hunt is by far the best option.

Having gone on a couple of elk hunts now, I feel pretty confident that I could go on a DIY hunt in the same area and know what I was doing but it would still leave me the problem of not having horses. There is really no way to access the country I was in other than by horseback. Sure, I could set up camp and hike it but now I'd be limiting myself on the area I could actually hunt to the point where I don't think it would even be worth it. For this specific hunt at least, if you don't live there, know the area, and have at least a few good horses, success would be VERY difficult at best.

28-Jan-14
NOT a dime since 09 I would only use a guide if a species BY Law required it .

28-Jan-14
I'm with Scoot... $0. But would if I were going on a hunt where you had to have one. If I do go on one, I wanna go and spend some of Forest bows money... Hah!

28-Jan-14
I am intrigued that some feel appropriate to criticize the spending of others whom they know nothing about and that others feel the need to justify spending money to anyone on the internet.

The former has got to be liberals and the latter suffering from years of guilt for not better supporting the entitlement of the former.

28-Jan-14
My income has slowed some the last few years and so have my hunting trips. 5500$ last year.

28-Jan-14
Even more intriguing, the need to inject politics...

28-Jan-14
That's just me being a punk.

28-Jan-14
Punks can get their posts deleted....

28-Jan-14
64Indian64 you are my kind of guy. You worked for everything and got what you deserved. I didn't do as well as you but we grew the same way. It's what makes America.

28-Jan-14
Two guided hunts....one for Kryistan Ibex....$3500 and one for Cape Buffalo....$3500...all legal and on the up and up. I work over seas I know a guy who knows a guy who has a uncle who knows a guy that knows a guy that has a hunting operation. Both the hunts ended with great trophies and very memorable hunts...but both were difficult logistically and things did'nt run that smoothly. I had to have great paitience..we need to stop at this village to drop off this water pump and then pick up my Aunt and get her to this other village...its all on the way...but then all the three hour niceties as they meet thier first American...I like that sort of stuff...but if you are not the paitent with that you would lose your mind.... Before I get bombared with PM's....no I can't set these trips up for you...;) They were a one time shot deals...

28-Jan-14
64 Indian....love the story...you earned it...spend it as you wish...also.that money is not being burnt in pile...it is getting into hard working peoples hands and thier businesses that livelyhood revloves around hunting....

29-Jan-14
Wow, does this thread run the gamut... From the elitist bragging about how much he spends, to the elitist bragging about how he spends nothing, and everything in between. The right answer to this question is, who cares? It's a personal thing and no one can say what is right or wrong other than the man in the mirror. To pass judgement otherwise is what is really wrong. Seems all threads about money and hunting these days end up ugly. I'm tired of it.

29-Jan-14
Some of us that love to hunt sometimes need some help. With physical limitations the only way I can do some hunts is with the help of an outfitter. No way could I get a moose, caribou or elk etc. packed out without a guide. Tough enough to handle a deer. There are many other reasons to go outfitted but if you don't like it don't do it. You will miss out on some great hunting opportunities. Rory

29-Jan-14
I think CNelk asks a valid question, are the hunts we paid for worth it?

I know that can be interpreted many ways but its simple enough, did you get your money's worth and would you do that particular hunt again?

29-Jan-14
I like DIY, semi-guided, and fully guided... they all have there merit. I have met some really good people doing fully guided hunts for sure and still keep in touch with some of them. Were the guided hunts worth it?... you bet. I have really enjoyed all of them. As far as the money goes, well it's my money and a good hunt sure beats a stack of paper. My family has never gone hungry and is well taken care of.

South Dakota/Nebraska wild turkey semi-guided back in the 80's started it for me, two trips to South Africa, Utah mule deer, Wyoming pronghorn, and I have a Manitoba black bear hunt this spring.

I am not going to try to total up the $$$; between travel, incidentals, the hunts, shipping, and taxidermy I am sure it is quite a large sum. Worth every penny for all the memories!!!

29-Jan-14
How much to spend on making priceless memories? No dollar figure.

I guided my childhood best friend on a turkey hunt here in Alabama. Spent time and the hunt was priceless. He shot a nice gobbler.

Spent a buch of money on a NM elk hunt last year....same results, priceless. Ate tag soup, but worked my butt off.

29-Jan-14
I live and work in the Northeast. Got bit by the elk bug back in 2008. For the past 6 years I've been on an elk hunt every year. I'm a commission sales rep and there is no way in hell I can leave for more than a week at a time.

I know that if I jump off a plane in Montana or Wyoming with a duffle bag and my bow case chances are I'm not gonna bag an Elk.

I do my research and hire outfitters. Been with 4 different outfitters so far and every one has been worth the money. Oh and I've killed 5 Elk.

Work hard play hard just make sure you stay within your means.

29-Jan-14
I cant put a dollar figure on the cost of priceless memories and friends along the way and more to come, both DIY and Outfitted.

I'm grateful for having my own business which allows the structured time and funds... Oh,and the Mrs. is a huge factor. I'm a lucky man.

Life is good.

29-Jan-14
Preach on 64 Indian! I totally agree with you. I'm 32 years old and I have 1 year left to pay on my brand new house. Vehicles and everything else is pretty much paid for, bragging no proud of myself yes! I was the kid who saved every penny growing up when all my friends had new vehicles , loudest speakers And spent every dime they made etc. I work a full time job as a machinest and I'm a taxidermist every nite after work and on weekends. I bust my butt to afford to spend money on hunting in general and you can't put a price tag on some of the memories I've had and many more to come! I've done guided bear, mountain lion and this year mountain goat . I can't tell you how much criticism I've gotten by friends about how much I spend on some of these hunts but my wife and kids have never missed a meal and will always have a roof over their head. Life is short and if you can afford it DO IT!

29-Jan-14
To clarify on my above post... I don't use em because I can't afford them. I'm just a poor Okie.

I will take donations from the rich elitists at anytime...

29-Jan-14
First off-worked hard all my life & planned/saved for all my hunting experiences. Almost ALL my Bowhunts (95%)are DIY, public land BUT I have done some guided (required by law)& a couple semi, drop camp type. Bears in Canada, several guided, required. Caribou in Quebec twice & took my son with when he was 16 (worth every dime back then). Drop camp type Elk Colorado, private land. I had great times on all my guided Bowhunts but I've been blessed with Ton's of DIY Bowhunts in many places for a wide variety of Biggame. IF it doesn't cause any finacial problems I think everyone should experience at least 1 guided hunt but NOT for Whitetail. I know that seems to be the big thing of today but drawing on any Bull Elk gets my blood really pumpin. My guided hunts took place several years ago so cost is way different now.

29-Jan-14
Yes, it's worth it. It's only money and if you don't have it to spend,you can't go. Really pretty simple. I started hitting the road when I (1.) got divorced and it hit me that I was not getting any younger and (2.) listening to retired guys talk hunting and saying they wished they had done this or that when they were younger because now either their health or money was no longer there. In my 30's we had a very big house with property, an in ground pool, Mercedes convertible, Suburban, GMC Sierra, BassCat Jaguar, lot of "things" a pile of bills and no spare money. Along came divorce and everything I couldn't sell became the ex-wife's stuff and I had nothing except a little money. Now I live a very simple life with a paid for Jeep and trunk and not much "stuff". I love to take trips hunting and life couldn't be better.

29-Jan-14
Never have been because I can't afford it. Have always done DIY hunts and likely always will.

29-Jan-14
Closest I ever came to guided hunt was a group of us at work paid a guide in Idaho that we knew, to set things up for us for the upcoming elk season and scout things out during the summer and kinda keep up with the elk.

We bought everything an outfitter for the backcountry would have and had it all shipped to him and he rented horses and had everything setup for when we got there.

We ended up moving everything farther back in from where he had it and he just did a little cooking for us and took care of the horses at night.

29-Jan-14
Ive never paid for a guided hunt..I was blessed to meet some great folks to hunt with. Ive also traded hunts... Paid trespass fees. However Im saving now ....I need to kill a Dall sheep someday.. Like it or not. I don't like the idea of being forced to hire a guide to hunt anything?// but it looks like thats not going to change soon.

29-Jan-14
Never have. Not against it at all just not in the cards for me. Like alot of the guys I respect most on here, I enjoy the work of the DIY as much as the success.

29-Jan-14
I haven't spent a lot but whenever I do the amount is forgotten real fast, what I never forget is the hunts I wish I would have done.

29-Jan-14
I went on several guided hunts for Bear, Deer and Caribou. The hunts ranged from 2500 to 4k After being disappointed in the guides effort I started DIY hunts.....

Although much mnore rewarding I have found that on a DIY you need at least 2 weeks to hunt if not longer. A week to find the deer and a week to hunt them and then travel time.

On a guided hunt the Deer or whatever animal is already located/scouted by the guide....

So you are paying for the time it takes to scout...

that is how I look at it.

29-Jan-14
I try to stay $3500 or less for the hunt. Then you have to add travel and tag expenses and sometimes lodging. So far, I've gotten elk, mule deer, and antelope for this.

29-Jan-14
Preface by saying that I have ZERO problems with whatever a fellow hunter does as long as it is legal and ethical (same thing?). My deepest satisfaction is DIY'ing it, working my @ss off, and successfully harvesting an animal. Did buy a RMEF auction hunt once and enjoyed it, and look at the rack I got from it every day. Waay easier.

If you've got the dough, or don't have the time, are a points on the wall person, and FOR SURE before you get to old/infirm to do it, then guided might be the best option. People that pay for guided hunts to a lot to maintain rural communities too. Seems like most of the guys that get to hunt the premium areas are old and guided. Maybe I can pull it off after retirement doing the homework myself. I hope to find out. If guided ends up being the best or only option for getting up and after them, guided it will be.

29-Jan-14
$0 its not my style

29-Jan-14
I went on a guided antelope hunt in High School that cost like $1500 but zero since then. Can't afford it currently, and would rather do it myself anyway. That is actually the main driving force behind me moving to Alaska...

29-Jan-14
I haven't hired a guide yet, but will at some point. I go DIY except when it's not possible, and before I'm done I'd like to take a dall sheep, brown bear and mountain lion.

As much as I love doing my own research and scouting, DIY just isn't going to be very successful (or even possible) for some species.

29-Jan-14
I probably only have about $5000 spent on guided hunts. A couple of whitetail hunts and some hog hunts. The only thing I can see me using a guide for now in the lower 48 is more hog hunting, black bear hunting and mtn lion hunting.

I like the DIY approach to hunting because I find just as much enjoyment in the scouting, research, planning etc. I am also lucky to have a job that allows me to take as much time off as I want. I do want to go to Alaska. Moose I would do an outfitted hunt as well as caribou. Unless I move to Alaska I am going to need a guide for Brown bear, Mn goat or Dahl sheep. All them hunts are on my bucket list.

30-Jan-14
The guided hunts I've gone on were cancellations and stuff you really cannot do without being outfitted or guided.

30-Jan-14
How is simply answering a question that specifically asks for the $$$$$ amount a guy spends on hunts 'elitist?'

30-Jan-14
No idea what I've spent over the years on outfitted hunts, but I do recall vividly $1500 I'd like to have back! I won't hesitate to use an outfitter for logistical reasons, but if I can do a hunt myself I will every time. Nobody can tell you what is the right amount you should spend on guided hunts...only you can make that decision.

30-Jan-14
I've done 4 quebec caribou hunts. So over 20 grand. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Have a guided mule deer hunt for this up coming fall as well. Possibly a guided mountain lion hunt the following year. I don't have tons of vacation, I don't live out west and frankly I am perfectly fine with a guided hunt.

30-Jan-14
We are headed to Nunuvat for CCBG Caribou in September thanks to my Dad. I have nothing against them either, except for what they cost-

30-Jan-14
Quite a bit, I've never added it up, much less adding in the taxidermy.

Did my wife tell you to start this thread?

30-Jan-14
Lots of choices out there and lots of money to spend. Africa, is by far the biggest bang for the buck. Bar none. One of the greatest experiences a hunter can have. You can kill lots of animals, that includes trophy fees, daily rates, flight over, trophy processing fees, etc and still not match the cost of a fully guided Elk, Ak/Yukon Moose, sheep hunts, etc. More importantly, I haven't met a person, who didn't love the experience there, and chomping at the bit to go back. Spouses love it too.

31-Jan-14
What is a "CCBG caribou"?

31-Jan-14
Spend as much as possible! You can't take it with you when you die and who knows when that will happen. Invest in a good life insurance policy. WORK HARD, MAKE A LOT OF MONEY, THEN PLAY HARD AND EXPERIENCE LIFE. Meeting new people, traveling to majestic places around the world, and harvesting some of gods creations are all things that most people in this world could never imagine. Would you rather die with a ton of money in the bank so that your wife and new husband or kids can spend it, or would you rather feel that you experienced life to the fullest extent? ASK YOURSELF?

JUST DO IT!

31-Jan-14
What Redman said!!!

31-Jan-14
Central Canada Barren Ground Caribou

I've spent $0 on guided hunts. I wouldn't be against spending some money on something that I would have to have a guide for or is OIL.

Said above: "There is just no way a guy like me from the midwest could go into this country unguided and on foot and expect anything other than failure." You must be right about the "guy like me" part, because lumping all Midwesterners in your statement doesn't make any sense. Plenty of folks go out and don't fail. A frequent poster on this website from Wisconsin seems to go out and kill a big bull every year in OTC Colorado. Just one example.

31-Jan-14
When I go on a guided hunt, it's generally with my wife and is our annual vacation, so it's no "money from the family". Haven't gone since kids hit college age, but now they are out, or very close, so the planning is starting again.

Worth it? Heck ya, if it wasn't we never would have gone past our first hunt, and on that hunt neither of us drew our bow back, never mind got something. We had a BLAST.

31-Jan-14
I`ve spent my share over the years mainly on animals where a guide was needed (sheep,goat,griz,Canadian hunts). What`s a kicker to me is all the people some I know well others not so well, that whine to me about sure wish I could do that or afford that. Sometimes I let it go but if I know and it persits. I`ll point out to them,geez you have couple 4 wheelers ,snowmobile,motorcycle,boat,even cabins,etc. I have none of these I tell them. Heck I have a bigger lawn to mow then most of them, but I only have a little push mower not a huge green lawn tractor like most of them. I just tell them it`s all personal prefence on what you chose to spend your play money on. (play money being coming from only after all family and bills are taken care of)I`d be embarassed to tell how little my income is a year. I just learned to save as I can and live with little luxaries, so I can swing a hunt once in a while where a guide is needed and a DIY is not possible. All personal but doable to most everyone if they put there mind to it and save alittle at a time and maybe go with out a few toys or luxaries for a bit.

31-Jan-14
Nick- CCBG is Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou. It is the last species added that C. Adams had to get to 29 from the original 28.

• Sitka Gear