city hunter 31-May-12
city hunter 01-Jun-12
BULELK1 02-Jun-12
Bowboy 02-Jun-12
Bou'bound 15-Sep-15
SteveB 15-Sep-15
CurveBow 15-Sep-15
30-Sep-06
Well, hell, my Utah Mnt. Goat hunt opens today.

I'm leaving in about 1/2 an hour for the trailhead and will hunt 'up' it and then bushwack out once first horizon shows me some goats!

Got the rifle hunters in there of course but I plan on staying on the 'backside' and hope most of the rifle hunters stay on the ATV trails side of the mountain!

Good luck, Robb

30-Sep-06
I wish you luck...give us an update on your return.

30-Sep-06
Good luck Robb! Let us know how you do.

30-Sep-06
Good luck man.

01-Oct-06
I went up the backside and no goats!

I heard a shot or two as I worked my way around to the face thru the snow and cliffs.

The rifle hunters had the goats scattered and I just kept plugging along looking for something to put the stalk on.

Did 1468ft elevation gain...... had a ball and filmed some good goats.

Back up this morning.... outta here in 1/2 an hour...

Good luck, Robb

01-Oct-06
Good luck Robb--nothing in the world can take the place of persistence!

01-Oct-06
good luck

02-Oct-06
I arrowed one!! Good blood and all. Gave her 50 minutes and could see her laying/stuck on a cliff overhang.

Started to come into her and she mover her head so I back off.

Another 30 minutes, and decided to try and come in from above and put another arrow in her.

I slipped in the shale and went about 25-35 feet down the mountain and she got up and went over into the sheer cliffs!!!!

I was shacking with fear... I'll admit it... another 25 ft and I would have gone over the cliff face 500 yards down the mountain!

I came back up and around and she had died right about 30 ft down the cliff.. I had no rope so....

I am back up this morning with about 100 ft of rock climbing rope and will tie off to a krumholtz tree and work my way down to her....

It is raining now and most probably snowing up there.... damn the luck!!

I had to kinda 'white lie' to the Mrs. or she will have a fit with my 'plan'...

Good luck, Robb

02-Oct-06
Way to go Robb. BE SAFE!!!!!! Yeah ya don't want the wife to worry, however you should take a buddy with you. Good luck retreiving your goat. story and pics as soon as you get a chance please. CONGRATS AGAIN

02-Oct-06
It too late to tell you to be careful, but good luck and way to go. If I can help you, give me a call. I have a little buddy (C3) who used to rock climb and could give you some good advise if you don't already have your goat.

Here's an idea Robb. Get a good four wheeler, drive up to cliff. Make sure it has a good winch on it, with a long cord switch. Then you can lower youself down, and winch the two of you back up. Easy after all!

The weather seems pretty warm today so hopefully it rained up there rather than snow.

Best wishes to you and complete a great bowhunt alive! BB

02-Oct-06
Robb,

I hope your recovery effort is going well. I hope you were able to take someone with you to recover your trophy. Goat country is dangerous country for us two-legged creatures.

I killed a billy here in Colorado two weeks ago today on my opening day. The first shot was great and heavy blood flow started immediately. I had an opportunity for a second shot and I took it, having heard that goats are very tough animals to kill. The second shot was a good one also drawing lots more blood, but niether was right through both lungs and were too high for the heart. The goat bedded right away within 10 yards of being hit but wouldn't die. Finally after waiting over an hour I dispatched him with a good pass-through double lung shot and he died instantly--without falling into any crevices or off of a cliff. I and my two hunting partners were then able to pack him off the mountain without falling as well. Thank goodness for a walking stick and an unstrung longbow.

Mike

02-Oct-06
Let's add some pictures!!! Good for you!

02-Oct-06
Robb, Congrats!!!! While it sounds pretty dangerous right now, hopefully you'll come up with a safe way to recover that goat and the trophy will be that much more sweeter. I'm also waiting for the pictures.

There was another thread posted (I think in the Colorado forum) where someone needed to recruit a rock climber to recover their goat. Maybe taking a rock climbing class isn't a bad idea for a goat hunter.

02-Oct-06
were the pics please

02-Oct-06
I made another post under the Goat section with some pictures of mine so as not to pirate Robb's thread. I should have made that post earlier.

Mike

03-Oct-06
Hey Robb,

I was expecting a report this morning. What happened on the recovery effort? Maybe it's a multi-day task--especially if you went in alone. One person packing out four quarters and a hide and horns can take a lot of time and effort. I'm interested in how you made out.

Mike

03-Oct-06
Hey Robb hope everything is ok.....and someone knows where you went? we are all anxious to hear you're ok and then the pics n story will be next in order.

03-Oct-06
Hope all is working out Robb. Starting to worry some of us here.

03-Oct-06
Robb,

We are getting your yesterdays weather here right now, I'm hoping you are out of the high country and busy fleshing out your goat.

Scottie

04-Oct-06
C'mon Robb where are you?

Congrats and hope all is well.

Hope to see some pics soon, C.B.

04-Oct-06
Congratulations Robb and WH!

Can't wait to see some pics, and your goat recovery story.

04-Oct-06
Robb, I hope all is well. You have everyone hanging and pulling for you. Best wishes and hope it all works out for a great bowhunt. BB

04-Oct-06
Sorry fella's....

Went up monday and it was a dagerous mess... backed off and went back up on tuesday..

Had some contact with a couple game warden's working the unit and met one at the trailhead at 8am on tuesday...

He was very concerned that it being dead for two days the meat would be bad and he wanted me to make every effort to recover what I could... come on officer... what ya think I'm up here for!!!

He went with me and the rock climbing kid and we searched for a couple hours... me more central, the rock climbing kid more remote and the officer off on top of some cliffs glassing ect... that goat was long gone... not eaten by scavengers or nothing just gone... the kid with the harness and rope went over the cliff for a look see and nothing in the bottom...

Anyways, the officer felt we all had put in a very honest attempt at finding the goat...

He told me it is a OIL tag and that if I wanted I could continue to hunt...

I explained that 3-4 years ago I arrowed an elk and that I couldn't find it and that I felt 90% certain that elk died and so I may not have 'tagged' an elk I killed an elk so my elk hunt ended then no wasatch front or nothing...

and that I sincerly felt that goat I arrowed would indeed die too and that my goat hunt was done...

So my goat hunt is over....

Good luck, Robb

04-Oct-06
Robb,

I sent you a private message.

Mike

04-Oct-06
That's to bad you could'nt find her,sounds like you did everything you could have.

Good luck the rest of the year, C.B.

04-Oct-06
Robb that's to bad about not finding your goat....however I'm as well as others probally am more glad to see you writing on here today. You always have the updates right away. Even though i don't know you i was a wee bit worried. Anyways glad to hear you're ok. And are you sure that you still don't want to continue your hunt???? Things happen that suck and are out of are hands. IMO i think you should keep going and see what happens. Just my thoughts....Glad you got home safe. MIKEY

04-Oct-06
Robb, I'm glad too that you’re off the mountain safe. That is the number one important thing. All other things fall in line behind that.

I had a friend this year take a goat in a different unit. It died in a tough area just before dark and it then started to snow heavy. The hunter made the decision not to risk anybodies life and waited until the next day to retrieve it in the light.

At almost 11,000 feet a good portion of the upper front face had been eaten by a fox. Those are very tough critters and they live in deadly areas. Under all the circumstances you made the right decision, and so did he..

At some point in time, with a rifle, with a gun, with a muzzle loader or a bow, one will have something like this happen to them. Don't beat yourself up. Just learn what can be derived from the situation and move one.

You are very well respected here at the Bowsite for very good reasons. There is no one on this board who is willing to give help to others so willingly and as freely as you. I think I'm speaking for a host of guys here at the Bowsite when I say these things, and we are behind you 100 percent.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

04-Oct-06
Ditto what Bill said Robb. Glad to hear you are OK, but I'm sorry to hear about your goat. That's a strong stand to call your hunt and I admire you for it. I did the same thing on an antelope hunt about 10 years ago. Wouldn't have felt right arrowing another when the first was lost.

05-Oct-06
Thanks All....

The Game Warden did find the arrow in his search with us and it was just full of blood in the blades (ThunderHead 100gr.) a little hair of course but no meat or tendon or fatty tissue...... the rain/snow had pretty much cleand the shaft off of blood ect.......

It doesn't hurt to set an example for the younger--up and coming bowhunters.... that ya just can't wing and fling arrows until ya harvest one...

Plus this weather pattern we are having and the rifle elk hunters will be everywhere with their opener and wearing blaze orange and I feel terrible about it all still......... I'm thinking I am making the correct decision....

Thanks,

Good luck, Robb

05-Oct-06
Robb,

Class move, and a very class act. You're a great example to all hunters, young and old.

Jeff

05-Oct-06
Shoot Robb sorry things went the way they did. Im agree with 4wapati Class move, and a very class act

06-Oct-06
Robb, man the time flys by, seems like you just came back from Arizona. Sounds like a wild adventure.

Most important thing is you are safe.

Take care Bill

06-Oct-06
Robb,

You are a great example for us all.

If you go back up after work to look again, let me know abd I will tag along.

alan

09-Oct-06
Well it is over... hunt ended sunday the 8th of October... I didn't even go back up.... I think the decision was correct and I'm thankful to you all for the support...... danm the luck...

Good luck, Robb

09-Oct-06
Sucks about the goat, I guess you used up your luck by NOT going over the cliff!

Not continuing to hunt was impressive, such a rare tag, 99% of guys would have gone back out, that alone deserves respect, good job.

Good job sticking one with a bow too!

01-May-08
Here ya go Doug S.

Don't look down!! haha

Good luck, Robb

01-May-08
Your welcome in my camp anyday.....and people have to wonder what the most dangerous game to pursue is?

06-May-08
Shhheeeesh!

20-Jun-09
This is back up so my bud from 'Hoosier Daddy' state can get a litle idea of his hunt area for this fall.

He is a fellow bow siter too!

See ya in September bud!

Good luck, Robb

22-Jun-09
Woodsy, be sure to bring plenty of rope.........-->

22-Jun-09
Thanks Robb, I’m really looking forward to my first goat hunt. Hopefully the weather and our luck will be positive. Your help is invaluable. I know we will have a great time.

Alan, you are the Man with the Colorado goat tag. You know I am rooting for you.

As far as the ropes go, I think I'll just call that "Free Climb" champion from Lover's Leap for any nasty stuff that we have to navigate. Can you believe that guy?

Have a good one.

Dave

22-Jun-09
Rob

Ever get back out there in the spring to look for bones or the skull?

24-Jun-09
Nope-----I have never been up there since the last day I searched for my wounded Mnt. Goat.

That place scared the doo-doo out of me after my slip and fall....

I hiked in from the North Ogden trailhead last friday and saw alot of Mnt. Goats on the Face leading to Ben Lomond Peak.

Good luck, Robb

31-May-12
I don't know how I missed this the first time around but I'm glad you brought it back up, I always thought you were a good guy but now I know your smarter than me too! I've had to not tell the wife exactly what I was doing a time or two also. Congrats on a great adventure, Mike

31-May-12
Yep, I missed it too! Thanks for bringing it back! Good post Robb!

31-May-12
Wow what a hunt You are the Man !!!!

01-Jun-12
Hey Robb i just looked up a Krumholtz tree intresting the struggle to survive at high elevations . comes from the german word krumm meaning twisted crooked bent, holz meaning wood ,, found in subartic and subalpine .

02-Jun-12
This brings back memories!

I will be back up there this year filming for guys that drew.

I do not get to far down or off the beaten path much up there anymore! ha

Good luck, Robb

02-Jun-12
Good luck! Need any help let me know!

15-Sep-15

15-Sep-15
?

15-Sep-15
Congratulations on a good hunt, an adventure and for being stand-up regarding the lost animal. I'm not sure I would have done the same for a Once in a Lifetime tag, but I applaud you for doing it.

>>>>-------->

• Sitka Gear