rock50 13-Dec-11
Knife2sharp 14-Dec-11
Saxton 14-Dec-11
bradbear 14-Dec-11
Gobblestopper 14-Dec-11
Trey Brake 14-Dec-11
trkyslr 14-Dec-11
12-Dec-11
i am planning on doing some bowhunting for fall gobblers. I have deciede that if i harvest one this year i am going to get it mounted. i have indoor cats (Not my chice) but they will tear up a floor mount so i need one that hangs on the wall. i have seen a few flying wall mounts but thats about it. i didnt know if anyone had any picture or recemendations (Besides get ride of cats) of their wall mounts. thanks Input will be much help

12-Dec-11

Pain's embedded Photo
Pain's embedded Photo
Here's one I had done.

12-Dec-11

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
Here are several poses......

12-Dec-11

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
.........and the rest.

I don't have cats inside, but I do have 15 grandkids, 8 boys, 7 girls. I don't have any mounts on the floor.

The turkeys are the royal slam plus a bearded hen.

I don't have good close ups in my pic files. If you want a closeup of any one pose, PM to me.

12-Dec-11

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
im very very picky when it comes to turkey mounts so i took a long time to find a taxidermist who makes them look real and alive in all aspects. without being biased this is one of the best flying mounts ive ever seen,,, and its mine ;) and it did cost me a pretty penny...

12-Dec-11

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo

12-Dec-11

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo

12-Dec-11

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo
Somewhat different--

12-Dec-11

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo

13-Dec-11
Dang trky slur

13-Dec-11
rock50..................Very nice collection and display!

13-Dec-11

jimmy p's embedded Photo
jimmy p's embedded Photo
I was told that fall turkeys are very hard to mount because the have started the molting process and the feathers tend to fall off! may want to look into that further and try in the spring! we had a full strut turkey mounted from this spring seaeson and put on an L shaped based so it can hang on the wall or set on the floor, very nice!

13-Dec-11

jimmy p's embedded Photo
jimmy p's embedded Photo
another pic.

13-Dec-11
also do your homework and check out a few different taxidermist, some are just better with turkey! and pay close attention to the artificial heads some are fantastic and some are not, a quality head realy makes a huge difference!

13-Dec-11
I had my turkeys encased in polycarbonate cases. Pets are a non-issue.

I would like to suggest that you consider having the heads freeze dried....the cryogenic process allows the taxidermist to keep all of the little hairs (or feathers) in the turkeys head....the artifical heads that I have seen, don't seem to offer that degree of detail. I don't know how the freeze dried option compares to an artificial head in terms of cost.

13-Dec-11
As Jimmy p said make sure a quality fake head is used. A quality one looks the best out there in my opinion... The real head is just very difficult to bring back to "life" and i have yet to see one that has been.... Also don't be shy to show your taxi pics of live birds to tell him you want it painted a certain way or tone or colors because your the one paying for it.

13-Dec-11

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
I've posted this before, but I did my own. I couldn't justify the $ for a turkey mount, so expanded on the tail/wing display idea and completely skinned my bird.

I then salted & boraxed the heck out of it and pinned it down to dry.

I carved and painted a head (yeah, I know it's not 'perfect'; more like artwork).

Finally attached the entire thing to a backer board and added a photo and hunt memory.

Carl

13-Dec-11

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
I really like trkyslr's above.

I also stumbled across this one on the web somewhere and really liked this presentation also.

13-Dec-11

rock50's Link
Trey,

Take a look at this link for ideas on poses........just to see what is available out there. Many options available.

I have taken my birds to the IL Deer & Turkey Classic for several years...........they have shown some wear & tear from all that trucking/moving around. I think they will stay on the wall now that the Classic has moved and our local NWFT chapter does not have a display there anymore.

Agree on the freeze dried heads, mine are all freeze dried and air brush painted too,

14-Dec-11
I don't recall ever seeing a turkey fly or gliding with the tail spread. Is that natural?

14-Dec-11
Turkeys always have their tail fanned when flying..100% natural.

14-Dec-11

bradbear's embedded Photo
bradbear's embedded Photo
I have been going to go get a section of old fence to put around mine to keep a golden retriever from doing anything to mine. My 11 year old dog that I had to put down last year would nose one of them a bit, didn't do anything to it, other then having to re-shingle the feathers a bit. My new puppy won't touch them......yet. My fence idea is to use old wood fence post and old box fence, i will have it around the front of the mounts with old no hunting signs on it. I think I need this for sure when some day I get an oscellated for the middle front, to finish the mount off.

14-Dec-11
Glass cases are the way to go.....no worries about damage and no worries about bugs.

14-Dec-11
where can i get one of these glass cases??? on avarage what do they cost? thanks very much for all your replies!

14-Dec-11
Serious taxidermist can get the glass cases but they cost a lot. My uncle had a strutter in a glass case with oak bottom oak top with light shining from the top... $2000 out the door

• Sitka Gear