St. Croix 04-Feb-10
Forager 04-Feb-10
mn_archer 04-Feb-10
03-Feb-10

mn_archer's embedded Photo
mn_archer's embedded Photo
Check this out-

michael

two huge bull moose lost their lives in Minnesota's St. Louis County when their 4-foot-wide antlers became locked together.

They were found buried under snow last weekend by Tim Bradach of Gilbert, Minn., who was hiking in the woods in search of shed deer antlers.

Bradach stumbled across the bull moose on public land near his hunting cabin near Brimson, about 30 miles north of Two Harbors.

"I saw the first horn and thought, 'Wow, that makes my day,' '' said Bradach, 51. "Then I saw two horns and thought maybe the same moose had dropped them in one spot. Then I saw four horns. I felt like I had won the lottery."

The moose weren't immediately visible under the snow, but Bradach cleared it away and found the moose facing each other, antlers entangled. The biggest moose's right antler was locked inside the smaller moose's left antler. Both sported large racks. The bigger moose had antlers that measured 54 inches wide; the other's antlers were 48 inches wide.

The bigger moose had a brow tine stuck in the other's chest; the smaller moose also had a broken tine. Bradach estimated the moose had been dead since October or November. Each fall, bull moose will spar to determine dominance and breeding rights to cows.

Minnesota has a declining population of about 7,600 moose. Though antler hunters do find shed moose antlers, it is rare to find two bulls locked together.

Bradach said animals had been feeding on the hind legs of the moose, but their bodies were still largely intact. He was surprised wolves had not completely eaten the moose. "There is no shortage of wolves up here," he said. Using a chain saw, Bradach cut the top half of the bulls' skulls to salvage the locked antlers. He had to use a hand winch to extract the largest antlers from the frozen ground. Still locked together, the antlers are stored inside a friend's heated garage. Bradach hasn't decided what he will do with them.

"It's really a once-in-a-lifetime find," he said. "They're pretty cool."

03-Feb-10
WOW !!!

03-Feb-10
7600 moose in Minnesota???? Sure...

Anyway, quite the discovery! I'll be up by Ely looking for moose sheds the end of this month, maybe I should bring a saw with?

03-Feb-10
That is way cool!

So you do you have to deal with the state to keep them?

03-Feb-10
I would never have guessed that moose could lock antlers. What a waste of some awesome meat!

03-Feb-10
mrelite, yep, in this case that guy needs to contact the DNR to get the antlers...being as they are not shed, but still attached. In most cases the DNR willingly writes up a permit so you can get them, but in some cases, such as they want a cool looking mount to show-off in their booth at the sportshow or the state fair, they will find a reason not to issue the permit. The DNR is fascinated with big racks too, and will sometimes do what they want to claim them as their own. Believe it or not!

04-Feb-10
Nothing in the woods goes to waste.

04-Feb-10
Come on now St Croix. Who isn't fascinated with big racks? The DNR is using them to promote out resources. This doesn't need to be another bash the DNR thread. Do I think they are all knowing?

Please, not even close. but they aren't out to GET everyone either.

michael

04-Feb-10
MnArcher, Do you want specific examples? I worked for the DNR, so I have some if you want to PM me. If I want to turn this into a DNR bash thread I could, but I don't have a reason to, but don't you be so naive either.

04-Feb-10
If you guys ever get up to Northern New Hampshire, stop in and see Gary at the Spruce Cone Cabins, hes a bowhunter and owner. Years ago someone he knows found 2 large bulls locked together. the friend or Gary had them mounted together and they are hanging in the office of the Spruce Cone. Its pretty awesome to see. bill v

04-Feb-10
Years ago I hunted moose with Max Schwab out of Talkeetna Alaska. On his porch he has a weathered set of locked moose antlers...one measures 72"!!! I asked him about them and he told me he found them while out scouting and packed them out. He said it nearly killed him. LOL!

I could post a picture of them if anyone knows how to turn old roll film into a digital photo.

04-Feb-10
Wow, that's really cool. Thanks for posting.

It's good to know Northern MN is still that wild.

(Used to live there now I'm in the NW. Like the loons I enjoy the winters here more but come back when I can in the summer)

04-Feb-10
Not being naive, it is just the they are out to get me on every thread is getting old. not talking about you, but is is a constant thing

• Sitka Gear