nehunter 04-Feb-10
TD 04-Feb-10
MaBow 05-Feb-10
BUDLITE8 06-Feb-10
TB 06-Feb-10
The Surgeon 10-Feb-10
skinnyfrog 08-Mar-10
03-Feb-10
Lonnie: Congrats! The best part was having your son with you. Anticipation, traveling thru airports, packing, unpacking, moving cross country together and doing an awesome hunt as a "team" is something that sticks with the kids forever! Good job! Charlie

03-Feb-10
Congrats that you finally scored. Just curious what happened to the dog that got swiped by the lion??

Shawn

03-Feb-10
Holy moly, how is the dog? 25' is a decent fall, but a lions claws can be razor sharp!

Congrats-

michael

03-Feb-10
Now thats some action. Congrats to both of you...a memory to last a lifetime.

03-Feb-10
When the dog hit the ground I thought it was dead. The dog ended up fine. I think that the cat got him in the collar saving the dogs life.

03-Feb-10
Have you tried any of the meat yet?

03-Feb-10
Congratulations on the mountain lion Lonny, great story and must have been great to have your son along.

03-Feb-10
Congrats Lonnie!

03-Feb-10
great story , lonnie

03-Feb-10
Bet your kid has a heck of a story for his buddies!

"And then the dog came flying out of the tree and my dad shot it 3 times!"

lol

michael

03-Feb-10
that was awesome! I had the same thought as mn_archer. "My dad and I chased a mountain lion through the snow in Colorado and shot it with a bow!" is a much better story than "I got a high score playing Halo 3 today."

03-Feb-10
Congratulations! I'm confused though. You met your guide in Denver and you were hunting in western Colorado within an hour.

04-Feb-10
TRAILSEND Good catch. We flew into Grand Junction not Denver. Medicineman I have not tried the meat yet. I am told it tastes like pork though.

04-Feb-10
MaBow, Creating lifetime memories as a family....nice!

04-Feb-10
Lonnie, You are so lucky to have that Father/Son relationship!

Congrats again!

04-Feb-10
Congrats on the cat! You sure paid your dues. Sounds like this lion hunting is feast or famine!

Died in the tree? Who was the lucky one to have to climb after it?

Curious on the shot placement and angles too? Straight up (tough angle for sure) or was it a good slope you could get around and more level with him?

Thanks for the pics and story!

05-Feb-10
Thanks everyone for the kind words! My outfitter Steve climbed up the tree to get the cat. It was in a spruce tree so it was not that bad of a climb. The shot angle was not that bad but there was only a small opening for a shot. I practiced the shot quite a bit at home, I put a block target tied to a rope in a tree 30ft up. 2 of the 3 arrows I placed right behind the shoulder driving the arrow into the opposite shoulder and the 3rd arrow mid body. Steve told me that the vitals on a cat are farther back then deer. I wish I knew that before the shot.

06-Feb-10
Do you have a website or information for the outfitter? How far in advance is he booked up? Many Thanks in advance!

06-Feb-10
BUDLITE8 the website is http://www.biggerstaffhound.com/

10-Feb-10
Lonnie,

Congrats on your cat and thanks for sharing an awesome hunt. Great idea on hoisting up the Block Target too. I'll give it a try, probably get expensive!!

08-Mar-10
I would have to say you just filled one of my bucket list critters. Would love to get one big cat someday. So congrats to you sir!!

• Sitka Gear