Bigpizzaman 09-Jul-11
cme2hunt 09-Jul-11
bohuntr 09-Jul-11
habu john 10-Jul-11
Bigpizzaman 10-Jul-11
24-Jun-11
Good luck Tim! This is the trip.

24-Jun-11
Just what the Dr. ordered! When you hear Tim talk about Day 1 he sounds like a guy that is gonna get something done! Good Luck BPM! C

24-Jun-11
GOOD LUCK !!!!!!

24-Jun-11
Good Luck Tim!

Leopardeaux gots no chanceaux!

24-Jun-11
Good Luck Tim, i know you are going to get one! Ill be following this one very closely.

24-Jun-11
This is the year Tim!!!! Good luck

24-Jun-11
I can't wait to see if he arrows "Grandpa". I should have gone on a leopard hunt when I was over in SA last year. I plan on hunt a cougar here in CO in January. I will be listening to his daily results.

24-Jun-11
I got a bill on day 3.

24-Jun-11
Good luck!! Pick a spot! No pun intended! LOL

24-Jun-11
Good luck, and be sure to pick the RIGHT spot. ha Ha

Have a great bowhunt. BB

24-Jun-11
Tim,

Good luck, my friend. I don't care if it is 3:00 in the morning my time..... call me, when you git'er done!!

24-Jun-11
Geaux Tim! I hope this trip is the one!

24-Jun-11
Good luck Tim, hope you get "Grampa"!!!

24-Jun-11
Best of luck Tim!

24-Jun-11
Best of luck!

24-Jun-11
Good luck and have a great hunt!!

25-Jun-11
Good luck!

25-Jun-11
Good luck BPM! Looking forward to following this one.

25-Jun-11
How much time lag is there between where Tim is hunting and the eastern US? Is he six hours ahead of us? More? Less?

25-Jun-11
7 hours in front of your eastern time. Talked to them today. They are sitting tonight....but for bushpig. Best way to practise for the leopard shot! If he can shoot the bushpig well, then he should nail the leopard. Everything works the same....just the leopard fever is different. Let's cross fingers for him.

25-Jun-11
Wish you the Best Of Luck

25-Jun-11
They are7 hours ahead of us---1:20pm here then 8:20pm there--:^)---

25-Jun-11
What attempt is this in pursuit of Mr Spots for Tim?

25-Jun-11
Good luck!

25-Jun-11
#5 Hawkeye

25-Jun-11
Thanks Clutch!

25-Jun-11
Don't say Bushpig when INbowdude will be watching. He will be booking the next flight over. Good luck Tim.

25-Jun-11
Dries--what's the latest on Phil ??? Are you with him ?? If so God Bless--

26-Jun-11
Tim,

We appreciate your one call per day going to Bowsite instead of friends and family. Next time, we'll hook you up with your own sat phone!!

26-Jun-11

Dries Visser's embedded Photo
Here is 2 trail pictures of the cat that finished the bait, the day before Tim got in SA. This cat will probably return this coming week after the cold front is over.

Clutch, Phil shot a warthog. He missed a nyala and a black wildebeest. Seems like his shooting is still the same...ha-ha. He is also after a buffalo where Tim is hunting leopard. Lets hope he gives him a good shot.

26-Jun-11

26-Jun-11
Nice Leopard Dries--Lets hope luck goes Tim's way--As for Phil, you have to love him to like him--one of a kind--good luck to him--

26-Jun-11
Wow that is one fat cat. Bet that gets Tim's heart rate up. habujohn

26-Jun-11
I had a tough time understanding some of Tim's message tonight. Some of the call was rather garbled on my speakers. He said that his set-up worked flawlessly, and that a hyena almost came in the blind.....but what was it that he almost drew on....a bushpig?

26-Jun-11
Tim drew back on the hyena as it came to bait in the early morning--his bow set up as Hein suggested work great as the hyena entered the death zone--everything worked smoothly and quietly in the dark--I spoke to Tim today and he is pumped up on the big leopard--

27-Jun-11
Dries--CALL ME--ASAP

27-Jun-11
News? What's up with that Clutch?

27-Jun-11
Put the zip on old Grandpa! Great thread...thanks for "the journey!"

27-Jun-11
Waiting inpatiently for news? Sure hope that big boy shows for you and you get a clean shot on him. best of luck. habujohn

28-Jun-11
Congrat's on the waterbuck, they're one of my favorites.

28-Jun-11
I keep hearing that he's going out and shooting "bait". When you do that on this kind of hunt, are there trophy fees applied to the bait you shoot?

LBB

28-Jun-11
Good question Longbowbob. Another question for those who might know- what does a mature tom typically weigh? Are they comparable to a mature tom mountain lion in both body size and skull size? Also what is the typical age of a mature tom?

28-Jun-11
From what I understand, fences dont really keep leopards in or out, unless it is placed far from any trees.

28-Jun-11
Good luck to you Tim, calm be with you at the time of need. I had a Leopard walk into drink at my waterhole in Namibia in broad daylight in 05, one of the neatest highlights of my trips to Africa. 12 yards. video can be seen at HaNore website.

Mike

28-Jun-11
Best of luck to you , be safe .

29-Jun-11
I hope you get that big Tom in the trailcam photos. Anxiously awaiting good news!

29-Jun-11
Pat, thanks for answering those questions. Here is another one for you. Once you have a leopard hitting the bait, if you keep that bait site well baited, will the leopard continue to hit it on a consistant basis, or do they typically hit it for a day or two and are done.

30-Jun-11
njbuck, not 1 leopard act the same. Some will stay on the bait for a long period of time and some will only eat for a night or 2 and then go on his route again. But they do return again to that bait, it just depends how long is his normal route he follows and what he catch to eat during the time he is away from your bait. It is like the picture of the leopard above who took Tim's bait the night he arrived. This leopard is gone now, but he is going to return to that same tree. Nobody spooked him, so he will return. It is just a matter of time and hopefully it is when Tim is still there. In the past I have experienced where leopards left a bait for 14 days before they return. But like I said not 1 leopard act the same, so it is not something you can work out. Some stay for long periods of time on your bait and some not. That is why leopard hunting is so challenging.

30-Jun-11

Here are some pictures Tim and Hein asked me to post. The 3 leopard pictures is the female they have on bait now. They hope to keep her on bait for a few more nights. They first want to try and get the male. If not and this female is still on bait, then they will go after her. The kudu picture is "something" you do not see much on trail pics. Wonder how Tim and Hein felt when they saw this? The two guys are alone in camp for 14 days.

30-Jun-11

30-Jun-11

30-Jun-11

30-Jun-11
Hunting its always a risk. Having that nice female on bait but knowing that a huge tom could return.

The female could leave the bait tomorrow and the big tom could return 14 days later.

Like a game of cards "gotta know when to hold em know when to fold em"

Anxiously waiting to see how pizzaman plays the cards given him.

30-Jun-11
Dries- Your last comment about the Kudo and Tim and Hein being alone is priceless:)

30-Jun-11
"The two guys are alone in camp for 14 days."

HA HA HA HA!

30-Jun-11
Clutch,

Between the kudo photo, Dries remarks, and Tim's interest in Dik-Dik's, I am starting to get worried!!!

30-Jun-11
No thanks to Dries, this thread is going in the wrong direction and is getting a bit off color if you get my drift. Hopefully, if it takes Tim a few more days to connect Dries will have enough humor lined up to keep us entertained:)

30-Jun-11
Guys, please rest assured I had a longggg talk with Tim after his comments about wanting to advertise his Dik Dik on a previous post--(4hrs)---Tim promised me he wasn't interested in Dik Dikin around on this trip to Africa----he was mainly interested in leopard hunting only---but every time I mention about his urges for another Dik Dik, he speaks of Hein---I know Hein pretty well and I think if Tim's urges for another Dik Dik overwhelms him, Hein would do what he has to do to keep his customer satisfied---guys, for a moment imagine photo shopping certain faces on that Kudu picture---I will be monitoring Tim closely once he returns to U.S.---updates will be posted on Tims well being----I know Tim will appreciate how everyone is concern about his Dik Dik obsession--

30-Jun-11
does tim mount his big dik diks or just enjoy the occassional photo image?

30-Jun-11
Today's audio sure sounds interesting. Tonight might be the night.....in fact, since they are 7 hours ahead of the eastern US coast....Tim might already be DONE!!

30-Jun-11
I hear that old rod stewart song playing in the background..........................

"Tonight's The Night"

30-Jun-11
I certainly hope so Bou-----I wonder what kind of celebration will occur once Mr Spots is dwn.--

30-Jun-11
Have a question. Do the locals eat leopard meat? I've eat mountain lion just never heard of anyone ever eating a leopard in Africa. Maybe it's bad medicine if you eat one!

30-Jun-11
When I killed mine, the locals refused to touch it. At least where we were, it was bad mojo to eat them. May be different in RSA, but the Masai had a belief that the cats could contain the spirit of the deceased. . . .at least that's the story we got. Who knows, the village could have had a party that night with it.

30-Jun-11
I cannot believe you dropped a Rod Stewart song on here Bou'...

30-Jun-11
Cat Scratch Fever may have been more appropriate, but I'm not a fan of the the artist

01-Jul-11
Not a fan of Unca Ted....what a shame. Stick with RS, i"m ok with that

01-Jul-11
Now if we could only find a remake of Cat Scratch Fever by Frank Zappa we would be "Spot On" :)

01-Jul-11
Neil Young's "Tonight's the Night" use it every year with great results.

01-Jul-11
Sounded Like he had a cat in the tree, but couldn't get a shot. THEN had problems with the light, right?

01-Jul-11
Jake, I couldnt really make out what happened, other than something about a cat in the tree. Hopefully it all works out for him.

01-Jul-11
Wow I hope he was not being mauled while making the call, but that is what it sounded like! I hope they are all OK.

01-Jul-11

Hein called me. The leopard showed up just after dark, but they could not get a shot. The leopard was in and out of the tree a few times. He just did not start eating, so they never tried to switch on the light. Around mid night the leopard returned and got into the tree and started to eat. They switched on the light and he was there. When Tim got his bow and tried to draw he apparantly got hold of the blind somehow and the leopard heard that. The cat then got out of the tree and left. Early this morning, they heard something again coming to the bait over the micro phone and noticed that the leopard was back. But this time they had trouble with the light and could not switch the light on, to shoot. The leopard left again and when it got light and they went to the tree, they got this picture of the leopard at 5:37 which was the time they struggled to switch on the light. This is the picture of the leopard they are hunting tonight again. Hein said to me that he believes the cat is mature but not old and this is why he kept coming back the whole time. They went to the same blind again and hope he returns. Good luck for tonight Tim.

01-Jul-11
Tim,

After reading Dries update, I can't imagine how amped you must be right now!!

01-Jul-11
This is gettin' good.....

01-Jul-11
OK, so Tim made a slight mistake and then the light failed. Third time will be the charm!!

01-Jul-11
Good luck. Tim!

02-Jul-11
maybe tomorrow night if he's on an every other night pattern.

02-Jul-11
Going on a baited Leopard hunt next month in MOZ -- Dries, can you explain either here or in a PM/email how to stage/setup my bow in the blind to minimize making any noise or otherwise spooking the Leopard. You know that you've always been my first choice for hunting Leopard and discuss it almost every year -- we've just never got free at the same time.

02-Jul-11
Tim is a hunter that always sees the glass half full---I can assure you this leopard will have no rest until the end comes---go get him Tim

02-Jul-11
Dries, Just curious if those are white light trail cams your using or the infrared? I would guess that white light cams would surely spook a leopard since they sometimes spook whitetails. Either way those are great pics and thanks for sharing. Best of luck Tim. Look forward to seeing you posed with Mr.Spots!

03-Jul-11
I think he is not picky at this point.

03-Jul-11
17 hours in the blind, that is dedication!!! Hope all your determination pays off big for you BPM!

03-Jul-11
Is this a ten day hunt?

03-Jul-11
Tim returns home on the 9th--probably flys out on the 8th--guessing he hunts till the 7th or so---plenty of time to score but a tuff hunt

04-Jul-11
Good luck Tim !!!!! Surely your persistence will pay off !!!! Happy 4 th of July and tonight will be the night !!!!!

06-Jul-11
Just spoke to Tim at 9:30am this morning 4:30pm his time---they didn't hunt last night to let things settle down--they hung fresh bait n scattered guts near blinds ---believe it or not he is still pumped up for his last two nights of hunting---they have cut tracks of 5 males and two females in this area---it would seem inevitable sooner or later they connect--- lets hope sooner then later--

06-Jul-11
his message made it sound like he had 4 more nights to hunt not 2. getting down to wire.

07-Jul-11
Odd, no post yet......................

Good news?

07-Jul-11
I'm with you on this one HerdManager. The old "no news, is good news" maybe? Hoping he has gotten on a nice tom and it all comes together.

07-Jul-11
Ok Tim you've built up the anticipation high enough, just shoot one an post the drool photos! Mike

07-Jul-11
Ha, there is a story there for sure.

07-Jul-11
Congrat's on the klipspringer.

Hang in there!

07-Jul-11
Two days for Tim to tag his cat.....it is NOT a good time to be a leopard in Africa!! Tim will git ur done if he is given the opportunity........

07-Jul-11
Hunt is not going as he planned but he always has an upbeat attitude when he calls in. Get it done Tim!!

07-Jul-11
no call yet maybe he is out skinning?

07-Jul-11
Ummmm

07-Jul-11
Good luck. I appreciate the updates everyday.

I have a question for Tim, Pat, Medicineman and others.

Does doing a live hunt add any pressure to you?

I have done a couple of mobile hunts and stopped doing them as I felt the pressure to do well as "everyone was watching".

Do you feel supported or pressure from the live hunts or mobile hunts?

It is very possible that I am just messed up in the head.

07-Jul-11
Interesting question about the pressure. I am having my brother up to film my bear hunt in September and I am already feeling some of the pressure. It has it good side too, I have been practicing like I was a 40 year old once again. habujohn

07-Jul-11
I am going on a brown bear hunt in a little while and my buddy is also along to film. It does create some extra pressure for me.

07-Jul-11
How about 2 seconds on the clock and a 45 yard field goal to win the Superbowl with hundreds of millions around the world watching? NO do overs allowed! But first a couple commercials! That's pressure! LOL! Good luck Mr. Tim!!! HTC

08-Jul-11
you wouldn't be referring to Scott Norwood and wide right by any chance.

08-Jul-11
Best of luck Tim,

Git R Done

08-Jul-11
Tim has called in his final report-- stay tune

08-Jul-11
I can't wait to get the "final" report!!! Fingers crossed!!

08-Jul-11
I enjoyed listening too your hunt and your experiences. What a tough hunt but what a awesome time you must off had. Spot and stalking plains game! A chance at a female leopard, a mature tom, and fatboy!

Thanks for calling in It was my daily check in.

08-Jul-11
Thanks for sharing tim.

sounds like a reason to go back again in the future.

08-Jul-11
Thanks for taking me along for the ridge. I checked the site several times a day looking for your updates and I got to share in the excitement.

08-Jul-11
Great effort Tim. Thanks for bringing us along. Enjoyed the updates and look forward to seeing your photos.

08-Jul-11
Who said hunting in the RSA is a piece of cake--Tims attitude on this adventure is much to be admired---important part of the hunt is to stay positive, so your awareness and reflexes are crisp when that moment comes---good job Tim---It's not over, right-

08-Jul-11
Congrats on a great hunt, and good job haning tough right up until the end! Good luck next time!

08-Jul-11
BPM, Nice hunt, sounds like you had a blast taking the bait, watching all the other animals coming and going and giving it your all. I bet when it finally comes together, it will be a sweet time indeed. Thanks, Mike

09-Jul-11
Hey guys Thanks for all the support! Am in Atlanta now, home soon! Will get domed responses and pics up soon! Thanks again!

09-Jul-11
Dang the luck. You will get them next time Tim. Enjoyed following this.

09-Jul-11
X2 on what Pat said ... it is going to be huge when it finally all comes together!!!

10-Jul-11
Tim what a great hunt, we all enjoyed going along with you. I agree with Pat on this one, you will really have a lot to look forward too. habujohn

10-Jul-11
Yes, I believe Leopard is my curse animal now. When I looked (in January) at my hunting schedule for 2011, Grizzly was the hunt I assumed would give me the most problem. Well in 2 days I had my bear! I came ever so close to taking my Leopard this time, just not meant to be I guess. I will start a new thread with pics and full story by this afternoon, Thanks to All!! Good to be HOME!!

10-Jul-11
Welcome home Tim...glad you had a safe and fun hunt. You'll get 'em next time!

• Sitka Gear