Kurve 21-Aug-08
TD 21-Aug-08
The Reverend 22-Aug-08
Stillhunter 22-Aug-08
Catfish 22-Aug-08
gobbler 22-Aug-08
>>>---WW----> 23-Aug-08
21-Aug-08
I'm toying with the idea of putting one of these on my ATV. Do any of you use them? Impressions/Opinions?

21-Aug-08
Never used one myself, nor seen one in use. But if you try it I would be happy to hear what your thoughts are about them.

21-Aug-08
I guess it would depend. Do you want your atv to be quieter? Then I guess it would be worth it. Now ask yourself, "Why do I want my atv to be quieter?" If you think it will keep game from hearing you, then it is a waste of money. If you just want a quieter machine, go for it.

21-Aug-08

silbowhunter's Link
I have had the Benz Silent Rider ATV Silencer on my 03 Honda Rancher since shortly after buying it new. I've had zero problems with it and it does work as advertised. You can hear a big difference when the silencer is removed and while riding with others you cant hear my ATV running at all. The silencer fit right over the end of the stock exhaust/muffler.

Click on the link I provided they have a video clip of what a ATV sounds like with the silencer on.

BUT like I was so elegantly told on another forum "If I got a real ATV, the silencer wouldn't work so well".

This may be the case I dont know but the Honda Rancher(350)does what I need it to do.

21-Aug-08
[i]If you think it will keep game from hearing you, then it is a waste of money. If you just want a quieter machine, go for it. [/i]

BW is right in that your not going to sneak up on a deer but you will see/observe more wildlife while riding with one on (IMO).

Also if you have a passenger on with you you are able to have a conversation will riding without the hole county hearing you yelling over top the sound of your atv. LOL

21-Aug-08
...and you'll probably annoy other hunters you pass by less.

21-Aug-08
i've always said, nothing is more likely to help me fill my tag then a good 'ol ATV muffler silencer.

21-Aug-08
If it's quiet enough you don't even have to shut the engine off when you bugle.

22-Aug-08
I thought about trying this but was informed by my ATV shop sales manager friend and his shop foreman father that they can damage the engine. Something to do with backpressure on the motor.... I am no mechanic just was told to stay away from them as they have had to fix many and not covered under warranty.

22-Aug-08
Yah, be careful with the back pressure thing.

A friend of mine was doing some bugling with his ATV last year and had a serious accident. He made the top of a ridge just at daybreak and attached the new muffler bugle he had just ordered from Elknuts. As he applied more pressure to the throttle to reach the higher notes, the machine somehow went into gear and he was thrown off the back of the ATV. Unfortunately he had left his camoflauged helmet at camp and hadn't attached his safety harness to the machine.

I'm glad to report that he has recovered from his injuries and will be joining us this year for our annual elk hunt.

22-Aug-08
Thanks, guys. The back pressure on the Benz is supposed to be only 2%, and I operate at almost sea level (South Georgia), so I don't think it will be an issue. They do recommend some adjustments if you are at 5000+ altitude.

I don't have any illusions about sneaking up on deer, but I do have to drive past some bedding areas to get to the area I hunt. There is also farm equipment that operates in the area. I'm thinking that the silencer will make me less suspicious/conspicuous to the deer in the area.

I ordered one - I'll let you know what I think in a few weeks.

22-Aug-08
If it works let me know. I may attach it to myself. Now that I'm over 50 I seem to make as much noise walking up the hills as my atv does. And I' don't eat hay.

23-Aug-08
I put one of a Kawasaki 300 and it robbed me of quite a bit of power. But, I live at 6500 feet elevation. It did quiet the exhaust sound but didn't do a thing for all the drive train noise. I never realized just how much noise there was to these things. I ended up sending mine back for a refund.

• Sitka Gear