bigguy 23-Mar-14
tradi-doerr 23-Mar-14
Boris 24-Mar-14
easyliving 24-Mar-14
LINK 24-Mar-14
tradi-doerr 24-Mar-14
lawdy 24-Mar-14
23-Jul-09
Just a heads up, I am debating doing my best to avoid shopping at Cabelas after what they pulled.

I have had my credit card with them for almost 5 years. I have NEVER had a late payment and I have never carried a balance. The past year I charge an average of $8,000 per month, always over $5k and sometime right to my limit of $16k (like app time). Always paid off with each statement.

I own rentals and have started rehabbing homes, so I charge a lot (and getting the free stuff with sweet - 1% of charges in cabelas points). I went to use my cc 2 days ago and it was rejected? Tried again then called to check. My available balance was $1, and my credit line was down to $600! I have $16,000.

Obvisouly unhappy I called them and was polite but firm. I had to call back later to speak with the credit department. I explain I have 20 mortgages, no late payments or bad credit marks anywhere ever. My FICO is not high (not bad at all just will never be 800) and never will be with 20 mortgages. They give me a bs line they pulled my credit (random) and it was below some limit, which it has been all along. I explained I have plenty of money double checked I was never late, always paid off etc. What makes things worse is they did NOT tell me. They send a letter out AFTER the fact (I still do not have the letter).

The stated this was because I might rake up the balance when I found out my limit was going to be lowered. I guess that is how they treat an honest loyal customer with a perfect track record. I appealed their decision to manager and higher up and latest was they feel $600 is all I should have now. I have little doubt they simply said why give this guy more when he never carries a balance and we give him free stuff? Illegal but who knows. I understand the economy etc and they have to be carefull etc and my wife works for babnk of America (formerly MBNA) they own 40% of all cc debt in the world. I know what is going on.

Bottom line is I am still pissed - I have had charges rejected (since I had no idea this was coming) embarrasing, and I am salty I will do not get my free stuff anymore. That aside with my perfect record, good credit, no bad marks, graet income (same job for over 10 years) owned my house and I actually own 2 properties sellling now free and clear etc. To drop me to $600 without a warning is not the way I feel I should be treated.

I just wanted to share this bad experiance so others are aware how they have treated a good customer.

To lower someones credit from $16,000 to $600 without warning when they have always charged a lot and paid it of and their FICO score has not changed is not good buisiness IMO.

DonV Ohio

23-Jul-09
Close the account. Pay it off and reapply in a couple of months under your wife's name and using your combined income...probably will get the $16K line back.

23-Jul-09
Sounds like a typical credit card company, I avoid them all and have canceled all credit cards... life is good without them and cash works great.

23-Jul-09
Same thing happend to a guy I work with this week. At least they accepted his charges, however they hit him with a $39.95 fee for going over his limit.

23-Jul-09
I have had my card for 10 years now with a $25,000 line and have never carried any finance charges and pay it off every month. Annual total is over $100,000 as all my suppliers take Visa. Something does not sound right here. I will keep a heads up so I don't get blindsided. I have never had a problem with them all these years.

23-Jul-09
I am wondering if they will do that to me? I do basically what Don does, but my limit is 1/3 of his. I love the free stuff. Just got a kayak for free a few months ago, and am racking up more points to hopefully get one for the wife soon. I have would have no reservations about cancelling the card if they pulled this crap with me. We'll see.

23-Jul-09
Lots of banks/finance companies are ratcheting back their exposure in the face of mounting credit losses/strained reserves. Unfortunate, but very common.

23-Jul-09
Not only would I close the account but I would send them a letter explaining that I would avoid doing business with them at all cost in the future because of it. I'm sure they have already determined that you aren't a profitable customer so they pobably don't care, but it would make me feel better. They are a bit convenient but it's not like you can't get the products they sell anywhere else and they aren't inexpensive anymore. Plus the Cabelas visa has a higher interest rate than others.

23-Jul-09
It's not cabela's screwing you, it's the credit card company.

23-Jul-09
"It's not cabela's screwing you, it's the credit card company."

They are one in the same.

23-Jul-09
Check out the "Merrill +" card from Merrill Lynch. It's the best card for rewards I've ever used. The catalog to use your rewards points is 1" thick with virtually everything imaginable. You also get automatic travel insurance and medivac coverage. You can use points for air travel, electronics, luxury items, sports equipment, tickets, restraunts, hotels, or a gift card from virtually anywhere, including Cabelas. You still get a point for each dollar on all purchases and 10,000 points gets you $100 worth of stuff. Best of all if there is nothing that you like rewards wise (doubtful with all the gift cards you can get) you can even redeem the points for cash with no penalty.

No annual fee and if you have to carry the balance the rates are quite low.

23-Jul-09
the same thing is happening w/ heloc's. frozen or reduced. sign of the times i guess. i still take credit cards for my business(CPA). helps w/ cash flow and i usually add 1-5% to clients who i know will be paying me w/ a cc. kind of like a sur-charge.

23-Jul-09
Bass Pro card.

23-Jul-09
"They are one and the same".

Maybe, maybe not. Although Cabela's has their name on the card, they might not be aware of the crap the credit card company is pulling. I would give Cabela's Customer Service a call and see what they have to say about a loyal customer being treated this way. If they give you the same ol' song and dance, then I would close the account ASAP, but I'd at least hear what they had to say first.

23-Jul-09
They did the exact same thing to me about 1 month ago except they left me a little more credit than that. Heres what I do now. I run it up to the limit then go on line and pay it off within a day I can start over at zero balance. Screw'em

23-Jul-09
I have always done the exact same thing paying my card off every month. A few months ago they told me the they were sending me out a new card and with it I will earn 5% on all purchases at Cabela's and I forget how much on non-Cabela's purchases. Anytime I have asked for a credit increase they have done so on the spot. Probably something to do with my FICO score of 800.

23-Jul-09
I had a slightly different experience, but pretty bad and from now on it's Bass Pro for me.

I was hoodwinked on a purchase for an oriental rug that I drove about 45 minutes to buy at a Going Out of Business Sale. My fault, I was too trusting and let my guard down. I have been using the Cabelas card for about 15 years and thought they would help me. I called them immediately - within 2 hours of leaving the store - to dispute the charge. I was sent some forms to fill out and mail back, which I did promptly. Did not hear from them for over 7 weeks, then it was "Too bad, so sad." By now the rug dealer had closed up and left town, so I had no recourse with the store. I had enclosed the ad that drew me to the store, so Cabela's knew the store was going out of business, yet they waited until the store was gone to answer. No hint that they would not back me, the customer.

I refused to pay the entire charge, sent them several letters and my torn up card. Endured numerous harassing phone calls from their bill collector staff. Very rude, arrogant, jerks. They finally agreed to my settlement offer and sent me something to sign. There was a catch. They agreed not to pursue the money, but they would still send an R9 report to the credit bureaus to ruin my credit. I told them no dice but that I would be open to further negotiation on the settlement amount if they withdraw the R9 report aspect. Now I have been turned over to the collection agencies. I would welcome a day in court, but just thought you all should know how they treat a loyal customer who has never had a disputed charge in 15 years and has charged way over $100,000 on the account and paid every penny. Could have been avoided if they would have told me over the phone that they would not lift a finger to help me.

23-Jul-09
"Maybe, maybe not. Although Cabela's has their name on the card, they might not be aware of the crap the credit card company is pulling."

Criminy.

From Cabela's 10-K for FYE 12/27/08 (publicly available information):

"Overview

We are a leading specialty retailer, and the world’s largest direct marketer, of hunting, fishing, camping, and related outdoor merchandise. Since our founding in 1961, Cabela's has grown to become one of the most well-known outdoor recreation brands in the world. We have long been recognized as the “World's Foremost Outfitter.” Through our growing number of retail stores, and our well-established direct business, we believe we offer the widest and most distinctive selection of high-quality outdoor products at competitive prices, while providing superior customer service. We also issue the Cabela's CLUB Visa® credit card, which serves as our primary customer loyalty rewards program."

"Financial Services Business

Through our wholly-owned subsidiary, World's Foremost Bank, we issue and manage the Cabela's CLUB Visa card and related customer loyalty rewards program. We believe the Cabela's CLUB Visa card loyalty rewards program is an effective vehicle for strengthening our relationships with our customers, enhancing our brand name, and increasing our merchandise revenue. The primary purpose of our Financial Services business is to provide our merchandise customers with a rewards program that will enhance revenue, profitability, and customer loyalty in our Retail and Direct businesses.

Our bank subsidiary is an FDIC-insured, special purpose, Nebraska state-chartered bank. Our bank’s charter is limited to issuing credit cards and selling brokered certificates of deposit of $100,000 or more and it does not accept demand deposits or make non-credit card loans. During 2008, we had an average of 1,140,834 active credit card accounts with an average balance of $1,828 compared to an average of 987,411 active credit card accounts with an average balance of $1,712 during 2007."

As I said above, they are one in the same.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1267130/000120677409000336/cabelasincorp_10k.htm

23-Jul-09
Pay your Cabelas club visa off in full on time ???????? Now thats unAmerican . No wonder they are pissed!! LMAO

23-Jul-09
As a Nebraskan I would like to support a local company like Cabelas. However they have gotten to far away from their roots. I remember last spring getting a master catalog with a full section just on shoes and only a page or two of crank baits. It's sad the path they have chosen but like many other customers I am now a Bass Pro man.

23-Jul-09
I do a similar thing with my credit card but, I am not as outgoing and don't have the same cash flow as some of you guys. I use it for gas and a few other purchases and pay it off monthly. I usually end up with $300 a year back which is the max. It's better than a sharp stick in the eye....that being said, I rarely ever buy anything from Cabelas or BPS anymore. There prices are getting to be ridiculous and more than anything their shipping charges are highway robbery...almost as bad as some Ebay sellers.

23-Jul-09
Get a discover card. They are always giving a better return percent than the Cabelas card. Shopping through the Discover web portal you get 5% back on all Cabelas purchases. You can take your rewards and cash them in for Cabelas gift cards at an even better rate. 20.00 in rewards will get you 25.00 or 40.00 will get you 50.00. I use my Discover for my everyday needs and pay it off each month. I enjoy the gift cards alot when I have the itch to get something from Cabela's.

23-Jul-09
THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!!!

$18,000 limit, average charges ran from $1500 to 5000 a month depending on business travel, etc. Balance paid in full monthly.

In February I had a balance of about $200, bought tires for the SUV, and came home to find a letter telling my limit had gone from $18000 to $500. Well, those tires automatically put me over the limit!

A call to Cabelas informed me that my card was cancelled, and that I had a $35 over limit fee (!!) in addition to the charges, and would I please pay immediately. WTF???? This is with a 780+ FICO and very few other debts besides the mortgage.

This is also NOT THE FIRST TIME Cabelas screwed me.

In 2002 the ex and I went to Venice. Plane tickets on the Cabelas card, room reservation on the card, limo to the airport on the card.

We got to Venice--guess who cut us off after we charged dinner on our first night there?

Even worse--guess who wouldn't take a call from me from overseas to straighten it out??

23-Jul-09
I am not a huge fan of Bank of America but when I saw they had the Alaskan Airlines CC I signed up. I would rather have miles than silly Cabelas junk.

I was bitter after the whole Cabelas/Montana Weaver Ranch thing though. I haven't used it in several year. I really should cancel it.

23-Jul-09
You can have your Cabela's CC account setup so it'll be refused rather than going over the limit.

They'll waive the over limit fee too if you haven't done it in the last 6 months I think.

23-Jul-09
Not all cabelas cards are through their worlds formost bank, for those who have been screwed, look at the back of your card and see if it says "This card is issued by worlds foremost bank"

I am thinking it will not

23-Jul-09
Rock,

This has nothing to do with Fico scores. Don the same thing happened to me 8 months ago, I own real estate like you and also used credit cards the same way. I was told because of all the additional mortagages and the fact they don't view rental income as "secure" I am now a bigger credit risk!! Never late with mortgages or any other payments, Fico score at 770 and when my renters don't pay me I still pay the bank.

Don it's frustrating and I feel your pain, I found out my limit was lowered while on business in CA and the hotel declined my card. It sucks, but "it is what it is" Or maybe it is just an OH thing.

23-Jul-09
Just becasue ot says Cabelas on the card, I doubt they are the ones who are actually pukking the string. Look on the back of the card and see who the card service provider really is......

23-Jul-09
"Just becasue ot says Cabelas on the card, I doubt they are the ones who are actually pukking the string. Look on the back of the card and see who the card service provider really is......"

See Matt's post above.

23-Jul-09
"See Matt's post above"

Not all of the cards use worlds foremost bank though

23-Jul-09
ask barry for a bail out

23-Jul-09
Mine was from "World's Foremost Bank" and I had the experience as above.

Cabelas does, however, use several banks. If World's Foremost isn't intersted in you (low income, credit score, etc.) they let others look at you to see if they want to take the risk before you get a rejection. If your circumstances change you can also get your account sold to another bank, which will then notify you about the new changes.

23-Jul-09
i'd be willing to bet that if you did NOT pay it off in full every month your name would have never come up and this would have never happened.

They need to make something off you or it's a waste to them. leave 1000 balance on there and i bet you'd still have your 16k limit.

23-Jul-09
They make like 1.48% on every purchase you make in the state I live in, I guess they want more.

23-Jul-09
Same thing happened to me. I paid a huge chunk of it off and they dropped the limit to just above what I had left on it. I will finish paying it off and I'm done with them.

23-Jul-09
I got one bill and paid it all off, the second bilL I ever got from them came with a letter that notified me that they were raising my interest rate. What BS. I am going on my third month. I think after a couple more I a going to call them and try to get my rate lowered back down. I just want to pay it off every month and rack up free gear like what everyone else aims to do.

23-Jul-09
My credit score is over 800, and when I signed up I got a $1000 limit. I joked with the lady that it would take me about 10 seconds to max it out.

I was told to call customer service and request a limit increase, which I did. I got refused......and that was the day I told them to stick their card up their rear end and cancelled it.

what a crock of crap!

23-Jul-09

Passion's Link
Cabelas took Tarp funds....so they would not have to cut limits and raise rates LOL

23-Jul-09
"and that was the day I told them to stick their card up their rear end and cancelled it."

Something tells me the language was a bit more colorful:)

23-Jul-09
Don't worry fellas ...

Obama and congress are sorting this out as we post. The'll have us all straightened out in a few months.

The Old Sarge

23-Jul-09
in the event this cause you or anyone else health issues, don't worry. they'll soon be FREE.

23-Jul-09
I may be in the same boat my Cabela's card was rejected today?????

23-Jul-09
Intersting, mine had been increased to 20K.

Don....it may be a sign of the times, not how you pay, but the "potential risk/debt" because of the mtg's and rentals.

How they handled it does not sound right...are you sure you have everything correct?

23-Jul-09
I am in the same boat as you as far as paying mine off in full every month. I've NEVER ONCE carried a balance. Cabelas didn't lower my limit, but they did send me a letter a couple weeks ago informing me my rate was going up! HUH? WHY?!?

I did the math, I average $18000 on my card per year...mostly at non-Cabelas vendors. If you throw in the Cabelas purchases I get about $200 worth of "free" stuff from Cabelas. This got me thinking that if that is all it adds up to why not tell them to stick it because it really doesn't seem worth it! I am thinking of going 100% cash and carry...just like my younger days! Or, possibly getting a BP card which would be good towards free gas, something I really need.

I like Cabelas gear, but their shananigans got me thinking it's time to move on...

23-Jul-09
I never did like the "reward points and miles" stuff. I went for a CC that pays back a pecentage of total purchases. I can request a check be sent to me after it gets above $50.00. Much easier to deal with.

23-Jul-09
"Cabelas didn't lower my limit, but they did send me a letter a couple weeks ago informing me my rate was going up! HUH? WHY?!?"

Why? Because default rates are going up due to the poor economy. Since more folks are not paying their debts, the issuer has to find someone to take up the slack - you.

If you do not carry a balance, it is a non-issue. If you switch issuers, you will probably find more of the same. If Obama has his way and "reforms" the cc industry, prepare for the decreases in limits and increases in rates to get worse.

24-Jul-09
The problem is that the credit card companies are not making money if you pay off your card every month as you don't carry a balance to generate interest or late fees... the only way they make revenue. The return on the liability is not there so why take the risk. I sell wholesale and a couple of my customers use Cabelas Cards and they were both rejected by our visa machine without any notification to them by Cabelas. Bad business... go figure.

24-Jul-09
I pay mine off every month, never late, and they just jacked my interest to 24.99% with no explaination why.

24-Jul-09
Samething happened to me. in Feb. From $12K limit to $500 coincidentily after I complained about a mistake they made. A few days later, boom, arrives the love letter. Went to the store that weekend, cashed in my points and closed the card with a check for $1.00 over. They are certainly not the same store they were. I'm done with them.

24-Jul-09
Just checked and my limit is still intact. I can understand policy changes but I cannot abide the ex post facto notification.

24-Jul-09
I am sure I got everything right and, I figured that after I had managers manager review it you know they said, we are not making any $$$$ of this guy why raise his limit?????????? Highly illegal and you bet that I will be watching in the future for a class action suite over this. I am sure they have guys out there with the same income, credit score etc as me carrying balances that have over a $600 limit.

Ah well I feel it was handled very poorly and after I gave it my best and got nowhere I figured I would share my experiance here.

Sign of the times yes, but still not right.

24-Jul-09
It is a shame that their credit card costs them tons of business! I live within 4 miles of their Austin store and refuse to buy anything from them because of similar problems. They literally knock you down when you enter their store to "sign you up", give you an instant $10K credit limit and then start trying to make a meal out of your wallet. I too was running monthly balances at or near my credit limit and paying it off every month. Unbeknown to me, they lowered my credit limit to $2800, no big deal, a little embarrassment which I can handle. They offered no justification, no apologies and I finally recieved their letter about two weeks after the fact. Another trick they will try is the $35.00 fee if your cumulative balance (what you have paid + what you have charged in any 30 day window) ever exceeds your credit limit. You can be current with all your payments and still get hit with this charge. Finally, after a couple of years of more unannounced and unjustified credit line reductions I got a real credit card, AMEX Gold, and have not had any of these mickey mouse problems!

24-Jul-09
"The problem is that the credit card companies are not making money if you pay off your card every month as you don't carry a balance to generate interest or late fees... the only way they make revenue."

Not true, they charge the retailers fees up front in the 1.5 to 2% range. That is 18 to 24% (annuual) up front.

Holding my breath because I have a $25,000 limit and charge aprox 15-20,000 each month and pay off in full.

24-Jul-09
Creditors are jumpy right now.Make sure you pay notes on time.

I was a day late on my farm note this month and got a letter of reference for housing counseling dated the next day.

Amazing,no track record matters in these times.Small hometown banks are still pretty hassle free though around us.

24-Jul-09
It is a shame that their credit card costs them tons of business! I live within 4 miles of their Austin store and refuse to buy anything from them because of similar problems. They literally knock you down when you enter their store to "sign you up", give you an instant $10K credit limit and then start trying to make a meal out of your wallet. I too was running monthly balances at or near my credit limit and paying it off every month. Unbeknown to me, they lowered my credit limit to $2800, no big deal, a little embarrassment which I can handle. They offered no justification, no apologies and I finally recieved their letter about two weeks after the fact. Another trick they will try is the $35.00 fee if your cumulative balance (what you have paid + what you have charged in any 30 day window) ever exceeds your credit limit. You can be current with all your payments and still get hit with this charge. Finally, after a couple of years of more unannounced and unjustified credit line reductions I got a real credit card, AMEX Gold, and have not had any of these mickey mouse problems!

24-Jul-09
good advice Sarge. I am with you let's all just sit back and wait for this huge wave of cash we have all been promised. I think I see something coming......;)

24-Jul-09
We haven't heard from anyone who carries a balance and doesn't pay it off? Are all bow hunters non-American?

They just sent me a letter a couple of months ago and upgrated me to their signature card and kept my limits the same. I don't know what a signature card gives me, but it is still working the same.

Sometimes I wish they would cancel me, it would keep me out of their store that is 10 minutes from my house.

24-Jul-09
It's not so much paying off the card in full each month that the banks look at, it's the risk one is taking by maxing out or close to it each month that scares them. It's POTENTIAL RISK that scares them, regardless of payment history in these enconomic times. Yes one might say, But I pay off the balance each month, the bank question's why you are running up the card.

There is a whole generation out there that only knows buy on credit.... the .com era, then housing boom, buy, buy, buy....don't worry credit is always good. Things are going back to the way the used to be concerning credit, show control when using credit.

24-Jul-09
They lowered my limit as well, no change in FICO and no change in behavior. I lowered my interest in retaining their services:-)

We can thank our elected representatives for all of these changes. Most of the credit card companies are making these changes in response to the CARD Act as well as increasing default rates. The new regulations on pricing are making it very difficult for the issuers to continue to make money so they're reducing their "risk". If you don't fit into their models for profitability you're gone.

I.E. Don. He's making a killing on their rewards program but they aren't making much off of him in terms of interest or fees, only what they earn on the interchange from his purchases (anywhere from 2-3%). They pretty much told Don to take his business elsewhere without using those exact words.

24-Jul-09
I have become more cynical with Cabelas.

I have purchased stuff from them for 25 years. A recent visit to one of their stores has me rethinking how/if I do business with them. The price hikes on equipment has me holding on to more of my money and shopping other retailers.

I have had a Cabelas Gold card for around 10 years (They now call it the Signature Card). My avg bill is around $1200-$1500 per month, paid off in full. My FICO score, along with my wifes score are both over 800. (I know, because we bought a truck the end of June).

The purchasing power with Cabelas points is diminished with over priced gear. Since my affinity for Cabelas is waning, I will dump their card at the drop of a hat. I will use the credit card which offers me the greatest benefit. It is just plastic and I have something other companies are interested in.

I learned a lesson long ago with insurance. When it comes to finances, do not allow allegiences to cloud my better financial judgement. I treat these items as commodities and will dump them in a heart beat if there is a better deal.

(BTW. I checked my cc limit before I typed this!)

24-Jul-09
It's like gambling. The house doesn't care so much if you win every once in a while, as long as you keep playing. They know they're still makin' money. But, when you start winning too often, they'll ask you play somewhere else. Keep the losers in the house. ;-)

For the person paying off $10K on a single card, EVERY MONTH, I wouldn't think the point savings are that big a deal. LOL

24-Jul-09
Plan and simple guys! They really don't want you to pay your bill off in full every month. The interest is what they are making their money from.

There is a term for people who pay in full every month but I can't think of what it is right now. But it is something similar to Moocher.

Anyhow, that is NOT the type of customer they prefer. They like those that always carry a balance and thus the interest charges make them money.

24-Jul-09
Many credit cards are doing this. They have to try and weed out where they are not making money. They would rather have one card holder that always has a $4,000 dollar balance that is often late on payments than ten of us that charge a lot and pay off our balances. They did make money on trasaction fees but nothing compared to what they make in interest. I have a Bank of America card with airmiles that has worked out great. Free airfares to Europe last fall and New Zealand three years ago with the wife. No service charge or annual fee. Then when I went to Europe I also got a Capital One card because they don't charge for foreign exchange fees like all the others do. It has also been great for fighting some fraud issues. Then American Express for Costco. Alll give me great refunds, or Air Miles. Shop around, and find a better card. They do want your business.

24-Jul-09
I just got a Hooters Mastercard... like it ;-)

24-Jul-09
I've had the Cabelas card for about 10 years. I don't think I've ever used more than 25% of the available credit, & pay in full every month. I received a letter a few months ago, they lowered my interest rates. Which is nice I guess, but irrelevant if you never carry a balance.

24-Jul-09
My pathetic Cabela's experience came courtesy of the World's Foremost Bank. I would like to add that the first person I talked to took an attitude that basically carried the message "It was your fault, you fool." and told me that as soon as my card was swiped at the store, they were incapable of stopping payment. My questions are

1) Is that even true? 2) If it is that clear-cut, why the 7 + week time waiting for a response?

(By the way, the store had misrepresented the value of the rug, which was apparent from a tag sewn into the bottom of the rug that I discovered when I got home.)

24-Jul-09
"The problem is that the credit card companies are not making money if you pay off your card every month as you don't carry a balance to generate interest or late fees... the only way they make revenue."

That's not true.

Every time a merchant accepts your card, they pay a service fee (2% +) to get the bank to give them money immediately.

If you charge $1500 a month, they make $360 a year off your card even if you never pay a penny in interest.

24-Jul-09
True about charing merchants, but that pails in comparision to those carryng a balance and paying late fees.

For me, best case scenario they give me 1%, charge others 2-3%, likely there other "fees" they pay someone in between them and the merchant selling me stuff.

Then add in cost of buisiness and I would guess, best case, they break even on me. Likely they loose.

I have little doubt that they may have initially based my reduction on FICO scores and revising their limits due to the economy BUT after I called and explained the situation, my steady good job, credit report with no bad marks, ever good income and lots of spendable income I should have recieved a higher limit then $600. However why would they?

I am going to find another card with some freebies.

24-Jul-09
If you are at all concerned about your credit score I wouldn't cancel the card, just pay if off and stop using it. Closing the account has a negative effect on your credit rating, then they've screwed you twice.

24-Jul-09
Closing your account will not cause you to have a bad credit rating.

Having too many open accounts will lower your credit rating due to the possibility of you maxing them out and then not paying them.

24-Jul-09
I've always been told that one of the factors in your credit rating is how much unused credit do you have. The more credit that has been offered to you and not used increases your credit rating. Closed accounts hurt your credit rating. Here's a link to Clark Howard website: http://clarkhoward.com/liveweb/shownotes/2008/07/02/13728/

24-Jul-09
RJ Hunt- Don't be naive, CC companies are able to generate revenue from people who pay on time as well!!! They simply charge the merchants who accept the card anywhere from 1% to 4%, depending on the volume of sales the particular merchant has annually. Additionally, they will often sell individual CC holders' information off to other companies. -This is where junk mail accumulates!!

I have never had any issues with Cabelas Club Visa and have been with them for 12 years. In fact, they have been outstanding in just about every aspect of the game in my dealings.

24-Jul-09
"The more credit that has been offered to you and not used increases your credit rating. Closed accounts hurt your credit rating."

I don't know about that but I can tell you if you apply for a mortgage and have 5 credit cards open even with no balance on them, the bank will be far more concerned with that than they will with 5 closed accounts that the customer chose to close.

24-Jul-09
I am currently carrying a balance on my Cabelas card that has been cut up for months, and my credit limit remains $5000.

A different card and company cancelled my account altogether because I carried no balance and didn't use the card. I had that card since college. Made a phone call and told them I was not happy about it and wanted it opened again. It was re-opened during the conversation.

They're just picking on you DonV for all the freebies!

Nick

24-Jul-09
I was so excited when Cabelas went public, I bought a chunk of it. What a mistake. They have gone from a great little company, to walmart (no offense to walmart) for sporting goods. Try to find something made in America. You'll have a job.

I too have had issues with their credit card. I called and canceled it immediately.

25-Jul-09
Any Bass Pro card holders getting the heave ho?

25-Jul-09
Not yet, I use mine the way DonV does, we'll see what happens.

25-Jul-09
JUST BE GREATFUL YOU NEVER HAD ANY HUNT APP ON THERE. JUST THINK IF YOU DREW A SHEEP TAG SOMEWHERE AND YOU LOST IT. i CAN SEE THE LOOK ON YOUR FACE. SORRY YOUR TAG COULDN'T BE ISSUED BECAUSE YOUR CC WAS REFUSED.

25-Jul-09
I Think I know why. Your not SPREADING YOUR WEALTH. Are you a registered republican that would screw it all up right there? I had a Sears Card for almost 20 years with no late payments and always payed off, then my last statement had 29.99% interest on it. I called then and they said it was due to the economy. I made a comment about spreading wealth is bullcrap, only to be told I was racist. Got to love obomanomics.

25-Jul-09
"JUST BE GREATFUL YOU NEVER HAD ANY HUNT APP ON THERE. JUST THINK IF YOU DREW A SHEEP TAG SOMEWHERE AND YOU LOST IT. i CAN SEE THE LOOK ON YOUR FACE. SORRY YOUR TAG COULDN'T BE ISSUED BECAUSE YOUR CC WAS REFUSED."

That crossed my mind a few years back. I said basically the same thing to them after my Venice fiasco ion 2002 when the cut me off on an anniversary trip I booked with their travel agency!

"YOU'RE lucky I wasn't in Yellow Knife with an outfitter, or I'd SUE you!"

From what I can tell they set up a dinky little backwater bank with minimal staffing to process the cards. The quality isn't there, and it SHOWS.

They'd be better off farming out the operating part of the bank to MBNA.

25-Jul-09
I just send a note to the new CEO of Cabelas, and the heads of the "World's Foremost Bank" with a link to this thread.

Lets see what happens.

Here are their emails:

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

25-Jul-09
I used to buy alot of thing from Cabales. Half there clothing & boots are junk. I have several shirts that after afew washings the sleves are 8 inches to long. Also a pair of insulated boots that the insulation is pulled apart for the toes. There useless. Over priced junk! Mark

22-Mar-14
I know this is an old thread...same thing happened to me..right before Arizona startd hitting cards..this past week... I had to make a big payment cause they cut my limit...it will be payed off nxt month and closed... Screw there CABELAS VISA

22-Mar-14
Don't you know you should be thankful for all the government regulation and intrusion into businesses and our personal life? Credit card companies took many of these steps due to changing regulation. All designed by the government to "help" you. We are reaping what we sow in so many areas. But it is easiest to blame the businesses, and not the politicians that have forced this crap on us, AND the business. A banana republic in in our future. Bill

22-Mar-14
I'm retired and don't do big money business as some of you do where using a card is necessary. My wife and I don't use cards except to hold reservations, etc., and when we get there we pay cash.(we got hosed when we were young and vowed never again) ! We live a simple life style,(no bills except monthly utility, etc.) and always pay cash, except in an emergency. Things are much simpler that way. We both have credit ratings around 840. But then, we'll never have much money. I don't trust anyone with my money, so always pay cash when possible.

Good luck to all of you !! I just couldn't deal with what some of you do.

22-Mar-14
Do you remember several months ago when I got slammed by Cabelas' because someone was fraudulently using my CC# and my card was being rejected. I call into Cabelas' to find out what was going on with my card and they told me. They never once called me to advise me that someone was attempting fraudulent charges to my card. This happened to me twice inside of 6 months time. They are currently sitting with 2 strikes and zero balls with me. One more screw up on their part and I am done with Cabelas. They are not the outstanding, All-American company they once were in my opinion.

23-Mar-14
never had an issue with Cabelas Their fraud department has caught two fraud attempts (called me immediatley) I have a black card 25K limit Spend 35K a year Make payments early. Again, never had an issue. Just my experience

23-Mar-14
I don't pay for anything later, it is hassle free 100% of the time!

23-Mar-14
I've never had a problem with my Cabelas CC and they even increased it to a $15,000 limit without my even asking. I also can't understand why a perosn would think a CC Company should take a charge off their CC just because they screwed up and bought something that wasn't what they thought it was. If you didn't receive a product you paid for is one thing, but just because it wasn't what you wanted and still have it is another!

23-Mar-14
Dumped Cabelas when they charged me sales tax when I live in a sales tax state. I have only two credit cards, discover for my music and Irving for gas. Use mostly cash, but I don't buy much for hunting as I am getting old and simplify,

23-Mar-14
Why limit your points or rewards to one business like cabela's? Get a card with more flexible rewards. There are so many options. I've been saying that here for years.

23-Mar-14
"Dumped Cabelas when they charged me sales tax when I live in a sales tax state. I have only two credit cards, discover for my music and Irving for gas. Use mostly cash, but I don't buy much for hunting as I am getting old and simplify"

That's not the fault of Cabelas, but is just another one of the Government requirements they have to follow like any other company that has business site within the state where you live!

23-Mar-14
Exactly right. Texas charges sales tax and now that Cabelas has stores in Texas they are required by law to charge sales tax on online orders as well. Can't blame them.

That said, I just signed up for the Capital One cash card that pays 1.5% on every purchase. So I get 50% more credit and can buy products anywhere! A win/win.

Got an initial $100 credit for charging $500 the first month. Like it so far.

23-Mar-14
Cancelling your card could negatively impact your credit. I don't know all the credit rules but that one sticks in my mind.

I would make it an issue with Cabelas. Tell them that everyone, including you, links the credit card with the integrity of Cabelas. If the credit card company didn't fix this ASAP, I would start a dialogue with Cabelas directly and go to their CEO. Don't screw around. use this thread as a reference to what can tarnish Cabelas image.

Cabelas typically conducts their company with an integrity beyond reproach and I would expect, that if your story is true, they will intercede to protect their name.

That said - I still am a Cabelas Black card or whatever it is but am using my Costco Amex more every month in place of the Cabelas card.

23-Mar-14
Cabelas visa has been the best for me for security. Every time somebody has tried something with my card number they've caught it quickly and called me. As much as I travel, that's important

23-Mar-14
I agree with Jaquomo on security. They have a database of where fraudulent activity is more prevalent, not only by town, but by particular store.

I don't mind having to make a call if my card exceeds a predetermined threshold at a flagged, high risk vendor, because they are looking out for me.

Credit card companies are dealing with risks by keeping those cardholders who don't pay off their balances. I don't understand why cardholders want to blame the credit card companies for reasons caused by the cardholder's own lack of discipline.

23-Mar-14
x3 on Cabela Visa Security

23-Mar-14
Cabelas visa got my $6,400 back from Safari Nordik when they canceled my trip and refused to refund the payments. Customer service at that time said they were working on 40 such cases. I have gotten several security alerts from Cabelas Visa over the years. Their card works for me.

23-Mar-14
" I also can't understand why a perosn would think a CC Company should take a charge off their CC just because they screwed up and bought something that wasn't what they thought it was. If you didn't receive a product you paid for is one thing, but just because it wasn't what you wanted and still have it is another!"

Top gun, for one thing, plenty of credit cards will protect their customers by allowing you to dispute charges, that is a common practice. In my case, not only did the store misrepresent the value of the rug but I could have resolved it on my own if Cabelas had simply told me they would be of no help. Instead they had me fill out forms and kept me in the dark for six or seven weeks, by which time the store had shut down and left.

AND, I told Cabelas from the start that it was a "going out of business" sale. If their policy was that they would not let me dispute the charge, why couldn't they just tell me, a customer for over 15 years? I had explained the entire situation within a couple hours of the purchase.

23-Mar-14
"Why limit your points or rewards to one business like cabela's? Get a card with more flexible rewards."

The general rule of thumb, is that the more options you have to use your points on, the less bang you get for your buck, specifically when purchasing product that the card is specifically for.

The best cards out there for actually getting money or products are the Visa/MC for specific gas stations, followed by some of the motel chains, like Mariott.

My Shell MC gives only 1% cash back on random stuff, but 5% cash back on Shell gas. That turns a $4.00 gallon of gas into a $3.60 gallon of gas (provided you pay it off every month, of course).

You will not find a better return for your purchases than the gas cards (not just their regular gas CC, but the Visa/MC), although, they're really only good for gas at that gas station, but that's a big expense for a lot of people.

There's a website that compares all the different rewards cards and shows the real monetary return.

The best strategy is to have gas card and maybe one more focused card if you spend a lot of money on one particular expense like motels or air fare, then the best multipurpose rewards card for everything else.

23-Mar-14
Sounds like that gas discount is 10% not five

23-Mar-14
"Sounds like that gas discount is 10% not five"

It's 5% on Shell gas and it's his new math that's off by 20 cents! We have a least a half dozen different cards that we use depending on what they offer on certain things, use them accordingly, and always pay them off every month.

23-Mar-14
Oops, haha!

Yeah, that should have been $3.80

23-Mar-14
Here is a wee bit of information about the cc (and debit) industry.

Cabelas does not own the credit cards. The issuer (bank) does. The Terms and Conditions are generated by the issuer of the card, not Cabelas. Cabelas has their name on the card and is responsible for the terms and conditions of the rewards program, processed by the issuer. The issuers (banks) do make money outside of collecting interest. On every transaction, the acquirer (merchant) pays what is called an interchange fee. The issuer (bank) receives an interchange fee. A portion of said fees goes to the real credit/debit card company (Visa and MasterCard) for switching and settling the transaction. Note too that Visa and MasterCard do not own any cards. Discover and Amex do. Visa and MC simply switch and settle transactions (along with loads of other types of optional services).

So, complaining to Cabelas over an issue with your card is like walking into a BP station and complaining to the owner of the station about your BP Visa. You are barking up the wrong tree. Call the issuer of your credit card as they are the ones 100% responsible for its processing.

Your “fraud” calls are automatically generated from the fraud processing on every transaction that uses neural network technology. That is technology that “learns” as buying habits are established. With new mobile technology, you can get transaction alerts to your phone or via emails. There is a lot to the fraud detection processing depending on what each bank subscribes to.

23-Mar-14
As stated many times in this thread, CABELAS IS THE ISSUER (I.E. THE BANK) FOR THE MAJORITY THEIR CARDS. SO YES, CABELAS DOES OWN THE CREDIT CARDS.

23-Mar-14
You nailed it dead on easyliving!

23-Mar-14
Cabelas did about the same thing to me as well, to much activity even though it was paid off every month. just not the same store anymore.

Easyliving, according to my agreement and contract, Cabelas is the finance holder-not an outside source. When we applyed for this card in 2009 they even told us it was an in house finance and not a out sourced bank, but these days one never knows the BS that goes on behind the door.

24-Mar-14
I had a Cabela's card years ago. Carried little or no balance all the time. I have a credit score well over 800. They where charding me 15.9% interest. When I checked with my Credit Union, they have a card rate at 3.9% fixed. I called Cabela's told them about it. Asked to have the interest rate matched. They plainly told me it is what it is. If I don't like it get a different card. So, i did. When I canceled the card they where talking a different tune.

24-Mar-14

easyliving's Link
This link should explain a lot. In essence, seeing that World's Foremost Bank was established as a subsidiary of Cabela's for Cabela's, one I guess could blame Cabelas for their CC woes. An Issuer must be a financial institution to be part of the Visa (or Mastercard) network and what Cabela's established with WFB accomplished that.

24-Mar-14
Glad I don't have to worry about this. The only card I have is a debit, my limit is the amount of money I have in the bank. Haven't had a credit card in almost ten years and prefer it that way.

24-Mar-14
easyliving, your point on! cabelas has complete control of policys and regulations of the CC. but they aren't the only ones with this type of practice.

Just opened a business line of credit through my bank 3.9% fixed, just won't get the rewards points any more for stuff:(

24-Mar-14
I messed up my post. I live in NH which has no sales or income tax. They charged me the maine sales tax rate and refused to take it off. I said bye and the card went into my woodstove.

• Sitka Gear