midwest 13-Mar-12
SDHNTR 14-Mar-12
rgb 14-Mar-12
TD 14-Mar-12
Bou'bound 14-Mar-12
midwest 14-Mar-12
SDHNTR 14-Mar-12
13-Mar-12
Has anyone figured out a way to use a Bowmaster press on the newer Bowtechs with the axle on top of the limbs?

ie- Destroyer, Invasion, Insanity?

13-Mar-12
May not be possible.......I copied the info below from the website of the manufacturer of the Bowmaster (http://www.prototechind.com/adapters_know_issues.htm). It specifically mentions several bows, incl. the Destroyer, that the Bowmaster should not be used on.

Bowmaster Split Limb Adapters known issues

PAST-PARALLEL at rest

The new Bowmaster split limb adapters WILL NOT work on most bows that are beyond parallel or past-parallel AT REST. Some manufactures describe their bows as past-parallel (e.g. Hoyt Maxxis) but they are only past-parallel when drawn. The new adapters WILL work on bows with limbs up to parallel at rest. The exception to the past-parallel rule is the Mathews Monster. The blocks on the tops of the limb tips of the Monster hold the adapters in place and keep them from sliding toward the ends of the limbs. While many of the PSE X-Force bows are past-parallel at rest, not all of them are. For example, the X-Force SS models that we have seen are not past-parallel at rest, while every X-Force GX we have seen is past-parallel at rest.

Because of the past-parallel issue, the new adapters WILL NOT work on most of the PSE X-Force models and the Bear Attack and Assault model bows.

AXEL MOUNTED ON TOP OF THE LIMB (Destroyer models by BowTech)

BowTech is using a pillow block bearing on the tops of the limb tips of their new Destroyer model bows. The new Bowmaster split limb adapters WILL NOT clear the axel and should not be used on these bows.

BOWS WITH FLARED LIMB TIPS (Some Bear model bows)

Some of Bear Archery’s bows have flared limb tips. The new Bowmaster split limb adapters WILL NOT work on bows with flared limb tips.

YES, THEY DO WORK ON

The new split limb adapters do work on solid limbs, center pivot limbs, parallel limbs, narrow limbs and wide limbs.

13-Mar-12
Bowmaster needs to make an adapter then. All the new Bowtechs use this axle design. Bowmaster is losing out on one of the biggest manufacturers in the world. Not smart.

13-Mar-12
Check out this video regarding what happened to a bow after using the adapters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrV7uYgT-7w

13-Mar-12
That's one of the reasons I decided not to buy one of the new Bowtechs. They're expensive enough without having to factor in the cost of a $400 press.

13-Mar-12
dont have to buy a press if bow is set up correctly before leaves shop!!

13-Mar-12

midwest's Link
See my link for the Nite Hawk portable bow press.

I built my own press, but this portable works on the Destroyer and other "beyond parallel" limb bows.

13-Mar-12

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
This is my homemade "X" press. I really should paint it someday. :)

14-Mar-12
Nive work, but I was looking for something portable. Yes, the Nighthawk thingamajig is portable, but it's certainly not as compact or packable as a Bowmaster. Sure wish they would get their act together and make some suitable adapters.

14-Mar-12
On the other hand, maybe the manufacturers should design more bows that can be serviced in the field with portable presses.

I recently bought a new bow, a Bear Anarchy. Also considered a different Bear model, the Carnage. What steered me to the Anarchy was that it can be pressed with my Bowmaster press - the Carnage cannot, due to its past-parallel limb design (this info was on the Bear website).

If I am on a hunt, especially if in a very remote location, I want to be able to press my bow and repair it if needed (e.g. replace a damaged string, replace peep, etc.). So this issue eliminated the Carnage from my consideration. Plus, I do my own work on my bows anyway, and use my Bowmaster all the time at home.

Regardless, not all presses will work on all bows...If in doubt check with the bow manufacturer.

14-Mar-12
With bows going to long risers and ever shorter limbs, center pivot (or loooong pockets), presses have to change.

I had to redesign and rebuild my old apple press for the 3rd time 6 or 8 months ago to handle the new bows. Essentially had to make it from the origional boat roller press to a levered limb press a few years ago and now to a limbtip press.

Built it similar to the bow-a-constrictor design, works really well. If I were to buy a press right now it would be that bow-a. Pretty sweet press.

Portable one? The one in the link looks interesting. But not as portable as I'd like. For travel anymore I think I'll just bring along a take down recurve or something as a back up.

14-Mar-12
"dont have to buy a press if bow is set up correctly before leaves shop!! "

Huh?

You must change bows very frequently if they only need to be set up once in the time you own them.

like telling the car dealer "filler up" before i leave the lot i don't ever plan on gassing up again.

14-Mar-12
I would like to see more bow manu's doing like APA with the built in "pin in the cam" to relax the string. Very innovative.

14-Mar-12
RGB, you make a hell of a point. I loved how you could take down a Bowtech Captain or Admiral just by backing off the limb bolts. I don't understand why BT went away from that design. It was brilliant.

• Sitka Gear