Dwitt2n 22-Mar-16
Cheesehead Mike 23-Mar-16
30-Dec-12
In an effort to give my kids something to do this winter, Id like to set up a spot for them to shoot their bows in our finished basement. The shots wont be long, but they can still have a lot of fun and improve their archery skills at the same time--a good place to work on technique where they're not worried about who can shoot the farthest.

My thought is to have a bag target to shoot at, but I need a decent backstop. I thought about a carpet remnant but suspending that vertically may be a challenge, and also a little impractical. I noticed that you can buy a fabric backstop but they seem to be very expensive.

I figure someone on this site has already crafted something that works well for them--any ideas to share?

30-Dec-12
you might wanna try a horse stall mat as a backstop. just build a simple 2x4 frame stand for it. they cost about $ 2.50 a sq.ft. and work great.

30-Dec-12
I will second the horse stall mat. Perfect for this application!

--Jim

30-Dec-12
yeah--using that for an outdoor backstop now. Heavy!

30-Dec-12
look on craigslist for rubber belting [horse stall mat] you may get some of it for free

I use a feed bag filled with old shrink wrap for a target. cost is $2

03-Jan-13
i made a back stop for my basement(20 yard range) using 2x4 rack and strips of carpet remnants. was not sure if would stop my arrows, but it did without problem. i place the backstop about a yard in front of the wall, allowing the carpet to "give". and when a spot wears out just rearrange it or get another junk piece of carpet. mine cost about $5 total and that was for the screws holding the 2x4s together. scrap wood and carpet was free...

03-Jan-13
Grab some 4' x 8' sheets of 1-1/2" or 2" thick rigid insulation from home depot, cut those into 8" or 12" strips, stack them (either glued or banded). Pretty cheap, light weight and should stop most bows but I would set it in front of the wall by a few inches to allow for some "fluff". I build a 2'x 2' "block" using the same stuff every year or 2 for a broad head target. Get the blue DOW board instead of the styrofoam otherwise you will have foam bbs everywhere.

04-Jan-13
I don't recommend using the water heater as a back stop. I tried once, and although it kept the wayward arrows from hitting the concrete wall, there were other problems inherent...

04-Jan-13
I have used the block wall numerous times in the 10 years I have lived in this house. A couple of accidental fires with new releases, setting releases too hot and probably some other mishaps I am forgetting. I have found that CX Maximas are like shooting glass into a block wall. Piledrivers fare a little better but nothing does as well as GTs. GTs are the toughest but even they get turned into ink pins or decoy stakes after a wall shot. :)

05-Jan-13
simple and cheap! make a frame from 2x6 lumber, you decide the size, square frame. now add a second piece to fit inside the top piece but allow a tiny space on each side so it can slide up and down inside the frame. Now get a bunch of cardboard boxes and bring them back to the unglued or taped size basically flat. Fill the frame with the boxes stacked one on top of the other and as even across as possible, you may need to cut some to make it nice and flat as you go up. Once near the top bring the loose board down to compress the cardboard and just above the loose board on both side add a c-clamp to keep the board down and compressed. The whole thing can be done for about $40.00 depending on you choice of lumber, the cardboard should be free just ask local stores for boxes. The smaller stores are glad to get rid of the boxes!

Stay well!

05-Jan-13
too funny x-man!!

05-Jan-13
I just shoot at my target...and I can shoot almost 30 yards in my basement. Course if I did miss.....I'd just wipe out $20 arrow against the foundation.

05-Jan-13
Horse stall mat is the answer. Got that tip here a couple years ago. As easy as the others are to make the horse Mat trumps. Just buy it

07-Jan-13
I shoot year around; I made an indoor 23 yard bow shooting range. Took three old sleeping bags filled them with old blankets for a back stop; have two bags , two black hole targets & two 3 D deer targets. Standing, kneeling, blind chair and ground blind.

22-Mar-16
Horse stall mat for me too in the basement. I hung it only from the top sandwiched between 2 boards so it would move and absorb energy on the hit. Out about 1 foot from the wall to ensure it wouldn't hit the wall and hold the mat too rigid. Free movement of that heavy mat is desired to help absorb energy.

I intentionally shot it to be sure and my 340 FMJ only got 1/2 way through at 15 yards.

Andy

22-Mar-16
I have conveyor belt from a coal mine screwed onto plywood. 8x8 trimmed out. Overkill but it was free.

22-Mar-16
horse mat.....great idea....thx....

23-Mar-16

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Can't get much cheaper or simpler than this.

This winter I wanted to do some "blind bale shooting" in the man cave so I stuffed a cardboard box with scrap clear poly and plastic bags. After shooting a hundred shots or so at a distance of 10 feet with my eyes closed I turned the box around and drew some rows of dots with a sharpie and practiced spot shooting.

I'm shooting 74 pounds and the cardboard and poly stop my arrows just fine so it should work for your kids. All you need is a big cardboard box and a roll of poly.

23-Mar-16

You could use a bigger box for your kids...

23-Mar-16

I adapted the idea from my outdoor field point target.

23-Mar-16

23-Mar-16

I covered the box with carpeting with the backing side out.

23-Mar-16

You could put one of these in the basement too.

• Sitka Gear