GAFFER1 02-Oct-13
drycreek 02-Oct-13
drycreek 02-Oct-13
Craig Loberger 03-Oct-13
ilandhunter 04-Oct-13
ROW-BEAR 04-Oct-13
itshot 04-Oct-13
02-Oct-13
Anyone ever convert a golf cart to use for getting around on their property? I know that cruising through the deep woods is off the table but I was wondering about using one on logging roads and fields.

02-Oct-13
I use one on my place exclusively. Not noisy, not stinky, and will go any place I want to go. Mine is a 48 volt made for hunting, but it is still just a jacked up ( from the factory ) golf cart. One word of caution, if you get a regular golf cart and jack it up, you can't ease around really slowly without upgrading some electronic part which I have forgotten the name of. It gets hot, and will get the battery cables so hot they will melt! Found this out the hard way on my first one. Anybody in the cart business will know what this is. And keep a good eye on the water levels in your batteries, because the repeated charging will run them dry. The good part is, they cost much less than the bad boy types. Downside, a complete battery change out is fairly expensive, but you probably already know that. Good luck!

02-Oct-13
I use one on my place exclusively. Not noisy, not stinky, and will go any place I want to go. Mine is a 48 volt made for hunting, but it is still just a jacked up ( from the factory ) golf cart. One word of caution, if you get a regular golf cart and jack it up, you can't ease around really slowly without upgrading some electronic part which I have forgotten the name of. It gets hot, and will get the battery cables so hot they will melt! Found this out the hard way on my first one. Anybody in the cart business will know what this is. And keep a good eye on the water levels in your batteries, because the repeated charging will run them dry. The good part is, they cost much less than the bad boy types. Downside, a complete battery change out is fairly expensive, but you probably already know that. Good luck!

03-Oct-13

Craig Loberger's embedded Photo
Craig Loberger's embedded Photo
I just added knobby tires (no lift) and an extra leaf spring on the back to haul 4 adults around. Everything else is kind of optional. As long as its dry it will go almost anywhere but does not like mud because of 2WD and battery weight. I pull an Otter sled around for hauling deer.

04-Oct-13

Tradman and Huntress's embedded Photo
Tradman and Huntress's embedded Photo
We have an old Club Car that we converted to a hunting buggy. We put an Imaginative Manufacturing transaxle in ours, which gives you both high and low range. It uses the stock motor, wiring and controller but lets you motor up some pretty steep grades, and just tool around slowly without getting hot. It's nice not having to put fuel in it everyday too!

04-Oct-13

ilandhunter's embedded Photo
ilandhunter's embedded Photo
I use the one with the dump body everyday.

04-Oct-13

ROW-BEAR's embedded Photo
ROW-BEAR's embedded Photo
I purchased a used golf cart abut 5 years ago and did the lift/tires, camo wrap and controller (electronic upgrade to increase speed). It has been very nice to have but you do have to consider how far you have to travel and what terrain as well. The above mentioned about battery maintenance is a must but they are nice to have.

04-Oct-13

itshot's embedded Photo
itshot's embedded Photo
A friend's Club Car

It's a gas motor, Jakes Lift kit, small front winch, otherwise stock

It's fine for flat trails, smaller hills, even sand and shallow water

If you plan on anything more, including mud and steep grades, skip golf cart and buy a 4x4 mule or similar

• Sitka Gear