Amoebus 12-Nov-15
Mad_Angler 12-Nov-15
WapitiBob 12-Nov-15
GF 12-Nov-15
Beendare 12-Nov-15
Tracker12 12-Nov-15
12-Nov-15

nijimasu's Link
Saw this in today's paper. Thought some of you guys who can actually kill big deer and elk (unlike myself) might be interested in it.

12-Nov-15
Looks like it might be painful on the shoulders. It would be interesting to try as a comparison to a high end bag. Definitely wouldn't be wearing it while hunting.

12-Nov-15
No, thanks. I'd prefer a quality frame pack that puts the weight on the hips instead of the shoulders.

When you put weight on your shoulders you are carrying that weight on your shoulders, back, chest, hips, and legs.

When you put that weight on the hips the weight is only on your hips and legs - saving your shoulders, back, and chest.

12-Nov-15
Seems like this method would make you top-heavy. I prefer to have the weight resting on my hips with a good pack frame,giving me a lower center-of gravity.

Bob

12-Nov-15
I'll stick with the Exo Pack, it does well for me! Interesting concept though, I think I saw this a year or two back?

ElkNut1

12-Nov-15
This makes sense. In addition to putting weight on your shoulders when it should be on your hips, you would have difficulty seeing the ground in front of you to keep from tripping.

With so many great day packs out there capable of carrying heavy loads, I see no reason to own one of these.

12-Nov-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
My guide used a tump line to pack out our caribou many years ago.

12-Nov-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Despite my grimace, it's not as bad as it looks, once you get used to it.

12-Nov-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
He also made a pack out of the hide to carry some of it.

12-Nov-15
I delivered the Denver Post with front/rear pack like that 30+ years ago. The Sunday edition was huge and had to be there early. I vividly remember the frozen, pre-dawn winter mornings loading that thing several times and tromping through the snow doing my route.

12-Nov-15
Interesting concept. This is how new things are invented... This looks like it is good for meat hauling when you want to get as much back to camp on the first load - rather than go back to camp for another pack. Some of the newer packs compress down well for day hikes, but can expand to allow meat (I use the KUIU 1850 for this).

I have done something similar a couple times in my life. I had a mule deer down and we weren't boning them out at the time (we weren't as smart then). I cut it in half and brought back 2 Duluth packs - putting 1/2 of the deer in each. I put one on my back and one on my front; then stumbled back to camp.

I also would do this during canoe trips in the Quetico/BWCA - pack on front and back; sometimes a canoe on top also.

The disadvantages are that you cannot see your feet/knees (which would be worse in the mountains) and the front pack tends to compress your diaphragm/stomach which makes breathing harder.

12-Nov-15
trump lines are very common around the world.

I remember hearing stories of some big outfit visiting one of those countries. The outfit gave the workers beautiful new packpacks. The locals took those packs, cut off the shoulder straps, and made trump lines. The locals could carry way more than the nonlocals.

12-Nov-15
100% on your shoulders, transferring down your spine to the hips.

Not for me.

12-Nov-15
Wouldn't touch it.

I've got 3 degenerated discs in my neck, and that sort of arrangement could be the end of my hunting days...

12-Nov-15
That Newspaper carrier has been done before for big game....I don't know if the outfit is still around.

12-Nov-15
Interesting but I'll keep the load on my hips.

• Sitka Gear