Jaquomo 13-Mar-15
CAS_HNTR 13-Mar-15
Bou'bound 13-Mar-15
Bou'bound 13-Mar-15
Owl 13-Mar-15
Doubleforky 13-Mar-15
TD 13-Mar-15
10-Mar-15
So took the family on a mini vacation the last few days. We went to Owatonna, Mn just because we like the area and it USED to be my favorite Cabelas. I hadn't been to a Cabelas for 5 years as I have some great archery shops near me here in West Central WI. What I found kind of shocked me. The "Bargain Cave" is a joke anymore. Items that have been wore/used should be at least 50% off, not 5 or 10 dollars. Yes I asked them their bottom dollar on some items, as you used to be able to haggle in the BC.

You used to be able to find at least one knowledgeable person in each department, especially hunting, optics, and firearms. I could tell you more about the products these "experts" were selling, than they could. If employee was as worried about the products. As they were about pushing that damn club Visa on me, they'd sell more. This should really tell you how crappy they have become. My wife and daughter found more non- hunting clothing and footwear to buy than my son and I found hunting gear.

I had planned on dropping around 2500-3000 on mostly "essential" hunting gear. I spent 1000.00 on non hunting clothing/footwear. They either don't have what I want, it's way too expensive and I can get it cheaper elsewhere. On a bright note, we had a great long weekend and my wife and daughter are happy. Which will pay dividends come turkey season;)

10-Mar-15
About the time that they became a publicly traded company that has to answer to it's shareholders. You will get no argument out of me with any of your statements.

10-Mar-15
When they realized that the "hunting" population of the US/States is decreasing and the "yuppie" population is growing.

10-Mar-15
They started going to hell when they became a publicly-traded company and had to focus on return to shareholders rather than customer service.

10-Mar-15
Agree with posters above........Cabelas and BassPro care more about selling fleeces, t-shirts, and hats with their logos than the hunting, fishing, and camping supplies that built their companies.

Anymore all I do it take advantage of their sales and get stuff shipped to the store for free......my time in the store is only about 5 min to pick up my order.

10-Mar-15

10-Mar-15
Shiras, we must have posted that at exactly the same time.

What Paul said, too. There's a store in our town that used to be sort of a mini-Cabelas. Great place, great prices. Then it became a small local chain, Then they pushed the hunting and fishing stuff to the back of the store. Then they moved it into different buildings (presumably so they won't offend the "preferred clientle".

Now you can get a hazelnut latte to sip while shopping for purple hiking shorts and yoga pants. the hunting and fishing buyers are so out of touch that they are continually out of whatever gear is needed during that particular season.

10-Mar-15
I still like Cabela's, but for the most part shop their sales online. I stick with them because they are generally a convenient place to get a wide variety of items, although a lot of the "specialty" items I want they do not have. Usually when I go in the store I don't come out with much, or even anything. Ammunition stock has never really been that good in the stores that I have been in, imo. Prices are not that good at full retail either...

I think when online sales really started ramping up it took it's toll on Cabela's. What you are saying is mostly spot on from what I have seen, although you can occasionally find a "diamond in the rough" when it comes to sales staff there. What I'm going to call "today's typical outdoorsperson" is where they make their bread and butter. I would say that a large amount of the potential shoppers don't know enough, or are just plain ignorant of what quality is anymore.

10-Mar-15
all brick and morter stores are doomed.

10-Mar-15
The one in Prairie Du Chien, WI is nothing more than a big casual clothing store these days. They have a 600,000 sq ft warehouse attached, yet they never have anything in stock anymore. I switched to Scheels card.

10-Mar-15
I have never been to the Cabelas in Rapid City,SD but stop in Scheels(right across the interstate) almost every time I am in town.

Used to stop in Sidney every time through, but haven't stopped in years.

That said, I still order occasionally and pick up a few items here and there, but it is rare they get much of my business any more.

10-Mar-15
My LAST venture was to the Prairie Du Chien store 4 years ago. Went in search of fly fishing gear...the selection was a joke, and in store assistance was nonexistent.

They'll never see my shadow again.

10-Mar-15
They have gone down hill big time! I live fairly close to the one in Rogers MN. and my 2 boys and me go every so often but that's mainly to check out the mounts. I have a ton of their equipment from years ago that I still have and use today, its good quality stuff. But like Rutnut says the customer service and the knowledge the employees have as gone to S--t!

10-Mar-15
The best line I got from a Cabelas store clerk was at the grand opening of the Woodbury store. I rarely ask for assistance because I generally know what I want and where to find it. But this is a smaller store and I immediately noticed department overlap. It opened in the spring and I had broken my pruners the day before on a green branch while turkey hunting.

I looked all over, the deer stand section, then knife/saw section and the turkey section. A kid asked me if he could help me find something, I asked him where the pruners are. His exact reply was, "you'll have to help me with that." He didn't know what a pruner is. I actually find more and better products at Fleet Farm than Cabelas or Gander Mountain. Both stores are glorified clothing companies.

10-Mar-15

10-Mar-15
Cabelas just opened a store near me.

Judging from overhearing some of the so-called "archery technicians" talk to customers, I would sooner allow a Walmart sports clerk work on my bow as one of these clowns.

And Cabelas prices are absolutely ridiculous. Not going back there.....ever.

10-Mar-15
When they got away from American made products and started handling imported junk. Same thing happened to L.L. Bean.

10-Mar-15
My first choice is usually Farm and Fleet here in Sycamore, IL. After that it's the Gander Mt. store in Geneva.

There's a Cabela's up in Hoffman Estates but like mots all of you I don't go there anymore.

FWIW....there's a Bass Pro Shop about an hour southest of me that is still a decent place, but they're not cheap unless you go to the bargin racks.

10-Mar-15
In the days of mail order and just the mother ship in Sidney, we stopped in on the way to Wyoming...what a great outfit back then...big boy's toys!!!

Gone forever...too bad...

10-Mar-15
Buffalo1, As I read the posts I was just about at the end of this thread and read yours. I was going to post just about the same thing.. Cabelas is on the way to being just like LL Bean. Slowly going from the hunting dollar to the,, yuppie dollar. Which was also stated above..

Note to Cablas's wake up!!! Respectfully Ed R

10-Mar-15
We use to drive a couple hours to hit the bargain cave. You went there right away because stuff didn't last long. With the tiny discounts theres no hurry, the stuff will still be there next time :^)

I still buy stuff there. Its certainly changed but sometimes they are the best choice for a certain item.

10-Mar-15
agreed Scheels the way to go.

10-Mar-15
FWIW when a company goes public they are at great risk to lose their company culture. Profit may, and often does win over intangibles. Now profit isn't bad. These stores never would have existed for long if they didn't make profit. But what we are experiencing is company culture change. Remember clothing has a much higher profit margin than guns, bows, and other fun stuff.

10-Mar-15
Lots of factors. I can find better gear for good prices online these days. Internet has hammered a good many businesses. Opened up the marketplace for shoppers to easily find exactly what they want from even the smallest vendor.

Maybe this goes hand in hand with the corporate line, but you see so many times a person or people start a business and know the business, know their identity and have a passion for it.... when they turn over the reins or sell or forced out, those who take over don't have the same loyalty to the brand, the identity. It's not in the hearts of the folks that replace them. Just the way it is for the most part.

When you see you can buy something cheaper such as none hunting or generic items and sell as much or more of it for the same price...

I still buy a few things from them. They have a pretty good game and food processing department. You could set up a small butcher shop. Had been waiting two years saving points and gift cards and such for a good meat grinder. Looking and looking. Finally one I was looking at went on a great sale with free shipping on top of it (even to HI, 50 lbs) I jumped on it as fast as I could. Got a $500 grinder to my door for like $75 out of pocket with points and the sale. Awesome grinder, real quality, I'll have for the rest of my life.

I'll still buy some online. They have a great arraignment with UPS, etc. and shipping to HI is as good as it gets. You folks are spoiled with all the "free shipping" deals. Almost all are "lower 48 states".

The stores are fun when I go in, only been in a couple of them, but still fun to see the displays and all the gear.... even if it is turning into the sporting goods section of Walmart....

10-Mar-15
no doubt when they went public. too bad also. Scheels around here is the best anymore in my opinion.

10-Mar-15
I rarely go there. Last time they were offering gift cards to the first 100 or so people in line. My family with 3 boys went and we were in the first 100, when the doors opened up they let people in who were even in line they were all just crowding around the doors. Boy was I pissed. I only ever buy anything if it is on sale there and I can't get it cheaper elsewhere. Like most of you said there are very few bargains in the bargain cave anymore. They sell some pretty ratty footwear too that had been worn hard before being returned. Grossed me out, especially at near retail price.

10-Mar-15
When they went public. Buddy of mine worked for them 25 years then 1 year after going public he had enough. Imagine being in Hong Kong on Cabelas business and having your Cabelas CC denied. All decisions now made only by the almighty $.

10-Mar-15
I drove 130 miles this past weekend with a list that I needed for turkey hunting I came out of there without buying a single thing there was no turkey hunting gear out I went to the customer service desk and let them know what I thought,I don't think the 2 young girls there had a clue or really even cared .I then asked them who did there sale flyer mailings , I don't think they knew what I was talking about,as 3 days before I received a sale flyer for nra day sale that took place the first weeked in Feb.only a month late!! that's the second time in 3 months that had gotten a sale flyer well after the sale had taken place

10-Mar-15
The same thing happened to Eddie Bauer. I'll bet no one here under the age of 50 even knows who they were.

10-Mar-15
I usually go there to get some tackle or scent spray. If I go in there for anything else 90% of the time I walk out empty handed and disappointed. The past year or so I have been buying all of my equipment from Amazon because of the low prices and free 2 day shipping.

10-Mar-15
I go to Sportsman's if I want knowledgeable people. Bass Pro for the kid's pictures at the holidays. I rarely go to Cabela's unless I have a gift card someone gave me. I also shop on Amazon.

10-Mar-15
I've been to the one in Maine and thought the hunting selections were great, no problems there.

This site is nothing but a bunch of haters, that's why I don't visit it much anymore, let alone post on it. Thanks for reminding me why I don't come here much anymore. I will stick to the forums that are helpful and not a bunch of adults arguing like children.

10-Mar-15
The local Cabela's is about a twop hour drive each way. Why would i drive four hours to talk to anyone who does not hunt or fish . A friendof mine had his spinning reel f spool filed and the line was put on backwards, when he turns the handle on the reel the line unwinds, lol! They went public and right into the dumpster, even the castalog sucks, look like LL Bean, totalu usless!

10-Mar-15
No Cabelas near me town, but they still send me all their catalogs. It seems their regular pricing is so high I never buy...and when they send me a SUPER SALE catalog I immediately go to order on line or by phone and they are consistently out of stock on every "SALE' item I want to order. I've pretty much given up on them.

10-Mar-15
Wow!!! Phil... I did not see anyone arguing.. But I'm guessing your arguing with the guys posts above. I also guess you hate us for saying how we think cabelas has changed over the years. Sorry you feel this way.. Ed

10-Mar-15
I like their hunting clothing, but I usually order it online. I also shoot their arrows which are one of the best values out there. I also usually buy my boots there for work and hunting. Hard to beat their sales and the points from the credit card. I honestly don't really like the retail stores much.

10-Mar-15
I like the taxidermy displays a lot. But now that I think about it I havent bought anything the last five times I went but my wife did. And she doesn't hunt. The store is for shoppers.

10-Mar-15
It use to be fun to go to Cabela's. I can't stand it anymore. They never have what I want to get and the people working their do not know squat.

10-Mar-15
The yuppies are helping the stock price :(

10-Mar-15
Quit going there for similar reason Discontinued there credit card also found a card that gives 2% back as cash Sure beats cabelas 1% for there overpriced merchandised Pain to cash out $1000 dollars of points on their stuff when could bought same on line for $800 Going use it couple times a year buy some fudge just to keep the 30K limit on my credit report

10-Mar-15
This sounds like a bunch of 1st world problems...

Don't like it, don't go. 20 years ago there were two Cabelas stores in the entire country. Would you guys prefer that?

Didn't think so.

10-Mar-15
???

Someone comes on and calls folks a bunch of haters and children.... and doesn't catch the irony of that???? forest? only seein' trees....

Nobody arguing that I read. Just some folks giving their opinions of their Cabelas experience. Nothing wrong with that. And the only HUNTING sites I've seen that doesn't have some energy to them normally consist of about 5 or 6 guys talking about the weather with maybe 3 new threads as week. Compared to AT or MM this place is a love fest... and if you actually want BOWHUNTING info you get world class info... not billy bob down the street....

Maybe facebook would be geared more to the sensitive....

10-Mar-15
I love Cabelas I just wait till they put things on sale. And as long as they support P&Y I will not go any were else. If you have one in your town you can have them ship to your local store and not pay any shipping.

10-Mar-15
I went to the WVA cabelas with my buddy last month to hopefully buy some turkey hunting stuff. I came home with slippers for my wife and he got fudge for his wife. pathetic. I couldn't find anything in greenish camo.....cabelas zonz camo stinks...who wants that?

10-Mar-15
I am a longtime Cabela's shopper and fan. That said, they have gone way downhill the past 10 years. They don't stand behind their merchandise the same as they once did (they would replace anything with no questions asked...even if used). I stopped at their new store in Louisville, KY while visiting a few months ago. No one working there but young kids who knew nothing other than what they saw on outdoor videos. Used to be Cabela's employed semi-retired outdoorsmen with a lot of real world knowledge to share. Still the best outdoor/hunting store around but it sure ain't what it once was. Really sad.

10-Mar-15
Would all you haters shut up . . . I own their stock :)

The most disappointing present I ever got, 5 shares after they went public :)

Bake

10-Mar-15
No doubt Cabela's has changed for the worse over the years, but what can we expect. How many times, how guys do you now or even how many of you have purchased items, used them for one trip and then returned them for a full refund.

I think we "sportsmen and women" bare a bunch of the responsibility for abusing the great customer service Cabela's used to have.

10-Mar-15
I've certainly never done that Bob and I would say shame on those who did. Maybe they should have been taught what a little integrity was.

10-Mar-15
Bob, my friends who work in corporate tell me they know certain b people who used to outfit themselves for a hunt, then return half the stuff when they got back. I don't believe Cabelas still has that "no questions asked" anymore unless something is legit defective. A few bad apples blow it for everybody.

10-Mar-15
I agree it has gone down hill, it is getting harder to find deals there. They used to always have coupons for $20 off a $100 purchase then it went to $20 off a $150 purchase now it seems like they don't have the coupons anymore. Right now I'm looking at buying something it costs $150.00 at cabelas I can get the same thing elsewhere for $100.

10-Mar-15
Blacktail Bob....I for one have NEVER done that....I have more integrity than that. Hard to imagine most contributors on here would do that.

10-Mar-15
I only buy sale stuff and still find some good deals in the bargain cave. They really don't carry archery gear that I buy.

10-Mar-15
"I think we "sportsmen and women" bare a bunch of the responsibility for abusing the great customer service Cabela's used to have."

I agree completely. All one had to do is shop in the bargain cave to realize there was a lot of 'abuse' of their return policy going on.

10-Mar-15
I didn't proof read my post very well, but I think most got the jest of what I was saying. I bet there are a lot of guys on Bowsite who did just what I'm talking about.

10-Mar-15
I love browsing in their stores. I have one of there Visa cards and have gotten $1500 worth of free stuff by using it.

Like most retailers its tough out there. Ive been in retail 26 years and getting people to come to work is difficult. Getting them to care about doing a good job is another story all together.

Again the workplace market isnt getting any easier. If you get an applicant that can fog a mirror at 2 inches ....you better hire them.

10-Mar-15
What Bob and Lou said.

I talked to a store manager in Boise once, told me there are groups of folks that come in and buy tents, sleeping bags, stoves, spend a pile of money and then come back and return ALL the stuff a week or ten days later. Free camping trip with brand new gear. Take dishonest advantage of what was an honorable policy, ruin it for others.

Honestly don't know how some folks look themselves in the mirror or sleep at night.

10-Mar-15
The only gripe I have about Cabelas is that they have stopped selling a variety of hunting clothes in my size. Hard to find 3X in good hunting clothes and they used to have them, but now, not so much. Their prices have never been what I would call cheap, but I have always liked their return policies. I bought a bow target once that was advertised as " easy to remove arrows from " and I had to tip it over, put my knees on it, and damn near get a hernia pulling arrows out. They argued a little about refunding my money, but when I pointed out their advertising text, they gave me my money back.

On another note, if you ever get to Kansas City Cabelas, the room full of full body muley mounts is worth looking at !

10-Mar-15
I love Cabelas. I don't really care how much the guy behind the counter knows. I know what I want and roll with it. It's the only place I buy my camo too. Their stuff works for me for years and years. No, I don't look as cool as those that wear all the overpriced crap like sitka and UA, oh well, the bulls I kill don't seem to mind.

I also agree that "sportsmen" wannabe's have taken advantage of an incredible return policy. Buy all your stuff on your way out hunting, take it back afterword.

I have had nothing but mediocre experiences at Scheels and Sportsmans Warehouse. Everything that has been said about Cabelas, I could apply to Scheels and Sp. Warehouse.

10-Mar-15
I stopped buying Eddie Bauer when they decided to go all PC and stop using real coyote fur for their parka ruffs.

I have an older EB down sleeping bag that still gets it done.

I remember them when they had a marketing deal with Klineberger Bros in Seattle...! Holy crap, I AM old!

Pete

10-Mar-15
I like Cabelas. I shop the sales broadcast via email..... not in the stores (unless I get something shipped to a store I am traveling past in MT, WA, ID, CO, etc). Their MicroTex clothing is excellent for the price and their Meindl Perfekt Hunter boots fit my feet. The Cabelas credit card has supplied lots of "free" gear through the years and the points never go to waste. I doubt I'd have bought a FoxPro e-caller without the sale and Cabelas points but had a lot of fun with it this winter as an example.

10-Mar-15
I worked at Cabelas for about a year part time. When I interviewed I was told starting pay was 9.50 - 10.00. My pay checks said 9.00. When I questioned it to the manager that hired me, he replied "never said that". At my first yearly review, after completing many hours of online product training, I received a .10 per hour raise. One week prior there was a corporate announcement that profits were at an all time high, and all they could muster was .10? A local grocery store chain opened 1 mile away and was paying cashiers $10.50 to start. They treat their employees like crap and wonder why no one stays around. Employees got bonuses by pushing the credit cards. The more relentless you were, the more $$$ you made. The employees who pushed the most in their departments were promoted to standing at the front of the stores or to walk around and push the card.

I will only go into the store now, to review and look at product and then go home and order online, generally at a much cheaper price from any number of places.

10-Mar-15
I was amazed to learn in the past year that Cabela's employees are not even allowed to carry knives. Not even for opening boxes to put stock on the shelves.

10-Mar-15
My main issue with cabelas is that the prices for the most part aren't competitive. I generally can find the same priducts on line cheaper.

10-Mar-15
I guess they went bad when they started carrying "overpriced crap like sitka and UA."

10-Mar-15
I love Cabelas... you have to admit there are very few outdoor as spectacular. Their huge stores don't even stock near as much as their online catalog has for sale. I'm also with Bigdan.... they are a big supporter of the Pope and Young Club... which is all I need to know. They offer free shipping for all animals invited to P&Y panel... that's an incredible offer. How would you like to pay for shipping a life size moose mount ($$$$)? This is a no brainer... shop elsewhere if you're not happy. I'll spend my money at Cabelas. Ed F

10-Mar-15
Jaquomo, I thought it was funny how that place 'segmented' their store too...I assume you are talking about JAX

10-Mar-15
Yeah I'm not happy with them either, I absolutely won't buy unless the stuff is on clearance. I like Bass Pro better but not much. At least Bass Pro clothes fit me, Cabelas clothes are the strangest fitting things ever.

10-Mar-15
I cannot even remember how much I have spent there. I use there card for big game applications getting my points and they have always had the best sales over any other retailer I have run across. I am talking a $100 on a GPS vs other retailers. Bought a wall tent and stove from them and found out the stove was just to hot for the tent. They made it right! I don't like all of the things they sell but I buy what I need and am a very loyal customer to Cabelas as well as others.Bob.

10-Mar-15
"The same thing happened to Eddie Bauer. I'll bet no one here under the age of 50 even knows who they were."

I'm 33, and I think Eddie Bauer is actually way cooler now than when I was younger. Uh-oh, does that mean I've reached middle-age? Their First Ascent clothing is actually pretty good fishing/hiking/hunting-worthy stuff...

As far as Cabelas, my little girl loves to run around and look at the taxidermy animals in the store, but if I buy stuff from them it's almost always online and on sale. The stores themselves are kinda overrated (especially the ones in Nebraska!).

11-Mar-15
"Like most retailers its tough out there. Ive been in retail 26 years and getting people to come to work is difficult. Getting them to care about doing a good job is another story all together"

It's really not that tough, you find good people and you take good care of them and pay them well. If you treat them like crap and pay them crap, you will get exactly that out of them. This was advice from my wife that's been in retail management for many years.

11-Mar-15
A lot of this is lamenting the decline of bricks and mortar retail. Sure you can treat a store like a showroom and beat prices online, but what happens when that's all there is? Has anyone checked on the price of shipping lately? What hands-on retail are you comparing them to?

Cabelas has gone corporate no doubt. They send out a bazillion catalogs - just got their Optics one and it neither had a complete listing of their optics nor even basic info like field of view.

I think their big stores are some of the coolest places I've ever shopped. I can stare at their mounts for an hour (usually do). I usually can't help droppin some serious coin too. I once spent two hours buying binos and LOVED their selection. Stuck an acuity poster 100 yards away across the store and got exactly the pair I wanted. Helped another customer figure out what spotting scope to buy too. Their smaller stores are basically glorified clothing stores - very disappointing that they would even cheapen the brand that way. But as already noted, yuppies are a lot more numerous than hunters, and spend more on big markup items too.

I have posted on a different bowsite thread that the BC is no longer such a bargain. You can still pick up some good deals though.

My experience with the customer service on their credit card is they are the only company that has ever forgiven a late payment charge - pretty exceptional.

So I kind of take exception to the whiny title of the thread. Compared to what?

11-Mar-15
I live in the NW. We had a local chain of outdoor stores called GI Joes. They had adults working in the store that knew the items being sold. Most of them used those items. Usually the ski department was staffed by skiers, gun department full of shooters, etc. Ownership changed and in a matter of months the seasoned workers were being pushed out and the kids being hired often had no relevant expertise. The goods being sold switched from solid quality to imported items likely to not hold up to serious outdoors use.

I am on a business trip this week and went into Bass Pro Shop today, looked at the live fish display and the animal mounts. Neat stuff on the walls. Spent an hour walking the entire store and left with a bag of sunflower seeds and a dog toy. The items for sale reminded me of a Target rather than an outdoor supply store. Had not been in a Bass Pro in four years.

I will stop by Cabelas on way home Thursday. Have not shopped inside a Cabelas in two years but have bought some camp items online. Will look at the taxidermy while walk the store.

After reading several of the above posts, I am not as excited to stop. I fear the end of an era has taken place while I was busy elsewhere.

11-Mar-15
I miss my Herter's catalog from the 60's. Everything an outdoorsman wanted from fishing to trapping to bowhunting and duck hunting. We need more stores like the old Herters.

11-Mar-15
I'm not exactly down on Cabela's but they might be interested to know something. I used to spend at least $1,500 - $2,500 annually on their merchandise. For the last 5 years that figure has declined to less than $300 annually. I think that's partly because Cabela's has adopted more of a big box store feel to me. Their offerings don't seem unique, and they no longer have that 'serious sportsmen only' cache they used to have. I hardly go to their stores these days. If I do, it tends to be like a trip to Lowes: get what I came for and get out. The dead-animal-Disney World effect is tiresome to me.

As the internet makes head-to-head shopping a reality, other web retailers CAN compete with Cabela's and compete very well. I spend more with REI, more with LL Bean, more with KUIU, more with a LOT of small web vendors than I do Cabela's. I remember when I looked upon Bass Pro and Gander Mountain as a distant second to Cabela's. The gap is gone for me now. I will buy as readily from BP and GM as Cabela's. I guess that's simply because the lines of distinction are blurred. In the end, they are all mass-merchandisers selling in volume and marketing to large crowds.

11-Mar-15
Clothes, clothes and more clothes is what I see when I walk in one of those stores. Big $$$$ selling a Gortex Jacket for $350.00 that cost them $15 after being made overseas.

11-Mar-15
Chase, Capital One, Discover and Citi all have rewards programs that blow away the Cabelas card. $1500 in free stuff seems great until you realize that you could have gotten $3,000+ worth of free stuff had you just used a different card.

11-Mar-15
Figures. I've never been to a Cabela's store in my life. They're throwing one up 5 minutes from my work and suddenly they've gone to hell. I have to add that my customer service experience with them has been great though. I never was much of a in-store shopper anyway.

11-Mar-15
I just heard last night that the Gander mt. store close to me had to take down all their animal mounts in the store because someone in corporates wife didn't like coming in to the store and seeing dead animals!! WTF!!

11-Mar-15
I had been saving points and gift cards to buy a pistol from them. A month ago the Walther pistol I wanted came on sale and had extras too. I went and tried to buy it and was told even though the pistol was in the flyer it was not in stock and they had no idea when if ever they would get it in! I asked for a rain check as the extra clip , holster and sale price was to go off and was told they don't give rain checks. What a bait and switch type deal this is. They used to be good ,but not anymore.

11-Mar-15
Must be epidemic...I went to cabelas in PA the other day and it was 2/3 casual clothes...really surprised...they don't even sell arrow wraps anymore...only the shrink fletchings...theres always the Internet

11-Mar-15
"Don't like it, don't go. 20 years ago there were two Cabelas stores in the entire country. Would you guys prefer that?

Didn't think so."

HELL YES I would prefer that...if they could be the store they were 20 years ago! Better to have two good decent stores nationwide than 100 horseshit stores, IMHO!

I live by the Rogers Cabelas. Happy as a kid the night before Christmas when they first opened...now I can't hardly stand the store...do most my serious shopping at Fleet-Farm or online if Fleet-Farm don't have what I need. Only thing Cabelas has going for itself around these parts is the fact that Gander sucks even worse!

11-Mar-15
Most of the smaller hunting items I need, I can get for less at Fleet and Farm here in WI. or on-line. For clothing, I prefer Gander Mtn's Guide Series. They carry more of my size. 2-3XLTall.

11-Mar-15
I went to the one in Columbus, Ohio to look at spotting scopes. The store is very small (for a Cabelas) and the parking lot is even smaller. Worse yet, they put it across the street from a Costco on a relatively small access road. As far as the spotting scope, when I finally found their "optics expert", the very pleasant young lady knew very little about any of their stock. She struggled to get one on a tripod, so I helped her. Then left. Haven't been back. I started ordering from their catalog in the early 1980s, but they just seem to have lost their way while expanding.

11-Mar-15
They have become the Wal-Mart of the outdoor world. They only stock the most common items. Seldom do you find the latest and greatest at Cabelas. You do not sell new items by putting them on a shelf. You have to demonstrate it. They do not have the time to do that.

I am marketing a new style decoy. Cabelas came by and wanted to talk. The first thing they wanted was to beat me down on me down on my price. The last place I will sell my product is Cabelas.

11-Mar-15
Sights and sounds:

Russell-Stover & Wendy's across the way.

The "Pop!....Pop!" of kiddie toy guns.

Smell of roasting almonds.

Couple card hucksters as you enter.

Deli-diner manned by halfway house work release.

Smeary aquarium glass and big blue catfish with tumors.

Resin-antlered animals in majestic hokey poses.

Obese families pointing at resin antlers.

Gun counter with 50 customers and 4 grumpy clerks.

Guy in dress slacks admiring thousand-dollar crossbow.

Redneck living out his fantasy trying on Sitka Gear.

You gotta go!

11-Mar-15
Kevin Dill = priceless

I love the smell of the cinnabon glaze and smoked fish combination. I'm serious too, I think they pipe in that smell.

11-Mar-15
+1 Gander sucks worse...luckily we have Scheels and Fleet Farm close by

11-Mar-15
Kevin , That about sums it up thought I was there for a moment

11-Mar-15
Been a Cabela's customer since there was only one store and I likely always will be. I don't expect staff to "sell" me on a product, I know what it is and does, just need them to verify if it is in stock and 99.9% of the time it is. Have only had to return a couple items over the years and had no hassle doing so. No complaints here.

11-Mar-15
Great summary Kevin. I want to bust those people in the chops that pounce on me when entering. Club cards. I may shove the two I have up your a**. Its what I have always wanted to say anyway.

11-Mar-15
Yup! Also super easy to walk by the overpriced crap too.

Watched one employee pull out a knife out of his pocket and show a customer that was looking at knives, as well.

11-Mar-15
Cabelas usa is MILES AHEAD of Cabelas Canada. The Winnipeg store is beyond awful for knowledgeable staff. I make an effort to listen in on their archery pros. Always good for a laugh. They have a couple of gun nuts at the gun counter and they used to have a couple watwrfowl gurus but not anymore!

Ive seen hundreds of sale prices that were $10 off a $400 item.

Had a manager refuse to refund my purchase of their 3d deer target. I could barely get my arrows out of that darn thing. Let my kids play with it as a toy now.

They still honor their clothing guarantee though.

12-Mar-15
Overall I've had good experiences ordering from Cabela's. I've bought thousands of dollars of gear and returned very little over 20 years. One funny story from my first visit to an actual store which happened to be the one in K.C. on my way to an elk hunt. I had been admiring Sitka gear in the hardback catalog they send me and figured I check this stuff out in person on my first visit to Cabela's and maybe buy some for my elk hunt. This was the first year Sitka was on the market. I covered the camo dept twice and couldn't find the Sitka gear so I finally asked a sales associate. He says, "What's Sitka gear." I told him never mind. Needless to say they didn't have any in the store.

12-Mar-15
I guess my biggest gripe would be lack of inventory I care about.....SOOO much of the store is put into the "other" stuff that there really is no point in going to the store. I would love to be able to go and look at tents, packs, boots, stands, rods, reels, etc in person and likely would buy on the spot.......but they don't have anything on stock because they need room for pink camo hoodies.

This is especially problematic for people in the midwest as if you really want to get backcountry gear.....there really are VERY limited places avaiable to get hands on looks at stuff before you buy it.

12-Mar-15
Agree CAS. First time I went out west I stopped at Sidney. I was blown away by disappointment. Surely, I thought, the "original" store would be awesome. I thought I could buy decent western camping gear there and I came away very frustrated. Yeah they had some borderline decent stuff but not much. Very sad really.

12-Mar-15
I would only go to the store as a novelty, to see the live fish and animal mounts... If I want to buy something, I shop online and usually wait for their big $50 to $150 off coupons, plus use my accumulated points from my Cabalas Club Visa... I seem to accumulate another 60 bucks every month... From that perspective - no complaints.

I am also at the point that when it comes to hunting or fishing, there is very little "advice" I would seek from someone working a retail store. I am not saying this to sound egotistical or TBM-esque - but I been hunting and fishing since I was a little kid well over 40 years now. What is some guy in Dick's or Cabela's going to tell me that I don't already know 100x over?

The only areas I do seek knowledge such as technical advice when it comes to anything to do with archery - I go to bowsite, which never disappoints, because all your collective knowledge blows away all the sporting chains combined on planet earth.

So from the OP's perspective in what you were expecting from a massive chain retail sporting store - they all "Suck".

12-Mar-15

writer's Link
JackX2, mostly, especially the points. My wife and I fight over who gets to pay for things, my Cabela's card or her Southwest Airlines card.

I appreciate the in-store pick-up, which is like having everything in their catalog available.

The Wichita and Kansas City stores have been great to work with for pick-up and returns.

Check out the store from the link. It's family-owned, in Kansas City and I love buying from them, ...even if they are in Missouri! :-)

Check out the sale they're now having on ground blinds.

12-Mar-15
I miss it so much I've decided to take my wife and go visit the Wheeling store this Saturday. Anyone else?

12-Mar-15
I enjoy going to Cabelas. My wife and drive out to Hamburg Pa. about once every three months. We have lunch close by and sometimes drive up to the HD dealer in Orwigsburg if I need any parts. It's a nice relaxing day. I "shop" at Cabelas but I buy what I need online at Lancaster.

12-Mar-15
Well, just my .02. I have been using Cabela's for many years, never been in one of the stores, do all my ordering via phone. Have never had a bad experience. Excellent service and always before the promised delivery date. Well pleased. Of course, I only order things I need so, I have no idea what the "yuppie" comment is about.

12-Mar-15
Since we're reminiscing...there's no doubt Cabela's has changed, but what hasn't?

I started buying at Cabela's long before on-line shopping was even a gleam in someone's eye. The store was an old square brick building in downtown Sidney, several miles north of I-80. Instead of a Bargain Cave, they had a Bargain Basement, and it was packed so tight two people couldn't pass in the same aisle.

Bowhunting wasn't as big as it is now, so the selection was much smaller. Because of this, if you saw it in the catalog, 99.9% of the time the store had it in stock. On the very rare occasion they were out of stock, they would take your name and address. When it became available, they mailed it to you free of charge. Now you have to pay for shipping on things that you backorder. On the rare occasion I actually needed to return something, they took it back no questions asked. Along those same lines, as Blacktail Bob pointed out, people abused the hell out of this. I can remember people bragging that they wore a pair of boots 5yrs and took them back complaining they hurt their feet. We've nobody to blame for this change in policy besides ourselves. Now days, they offer extended warranties you can purchase, based on the purchase price.

Like Jack, I don't want or need "advice" when making a purchase. I know exactly what I want before I walk in the door. No doubt, those that are just starting out are at the mercy, but that's just one more reason to support your local archery shop.

It's not just Cabela's. The days of the ol' mom & pop stores are dying, if not already dead. There was an article in the paper a couple days ago talking about the latest survey showing the dramatic drop in the number of hunters per household nationwide. Any business, in order to survive, has to cater to their clientele. Cabela's is a reflection of this. Like it or not, and I know none of us do, we hunters are a dying breed.

12-Mar-15
Just found out from my son in law that Cabela's will be opening up a large store here in NY, 45 minutes from my home. There is one Cabela's in Hartford CT and the other in PA. This NY store is right in the middle.

The one that will be built in NY will put both Gander Mtn stores that are closely situated in a big hurt.

12-Mar-15
Stopped in the Lacey WA Cabelas on way home today. Had stopped into the nearby Bass Pro Shop two days ago.

Cabelas had more outdoor items for sale. The used gun display had several dozen nice looking guns. Several mounts on display. Felt was worth the hour I spent walking around. Ate at the cafe and was not impressed with the BBQ brisket. Bargain Cave was okay but I wear tall and grew tired looking through the regular to find a few talls.

As mentioned in earlier post, Bass Pro was a disappointment.

I enjoyed the Cabelas experience and picked up a couple of items. Do not think I would drive out of my way to see a Bass Pro again unless is the HQ in Springfield MO.

12-Mar-15
Hey Matt, a couple of weeks ago I went into the Cabelas in Wichita, went to the shoe dept, asked to see their gaiters, and the guy says, whats that? We went and looked it up in the catalog so he could see what they were. He said they didn't have any. Three days ago some Cabelas brand gaiters showed up in the bargain cave.

12-Mar-15
Kevin Dill nailed it!

...I bought my daughter one of those pop-guns for christmas, pink camo of course.

12-Mar-15
Wyo, the days of going into a "sporting goods" store that has a live minnow tank and smells vaguely like old leather and cigar smoke are gone. Not coming back. Now it smells like plastic and you often have to wade through aisles full of purple spandex crap to get to the little generic fishing and hunting corner.

Now I'm starting to sound like bowriter!

At least Cabelas and Bass Pro are still focused on the stuff that's important to those of us on this thread.

12-Mar-15
I like seeing that guys on here like scheels. Since my full time job has an awesome schedule (2 or 3 24 hr shifts per week) i have been working at scheels part time for the last few years to afford extra hunting trips. Its a good place and good people. Alot of good advice comes out of there. So if any bowsiters are in the appleton wi area stop in and say hi! I love hearing hunting storiea and meeting new people!

13-Mar-15
It's been a long process. I was lucky enough to shop in their original store when it was a great place to go. The more they have grown the more they have changed. I only shop their sales these days.

13-Mar-15
No problems with Phoenix store or online sales.

13-Mar-15
I like the fact that a bunch of undecided folk on hunting can be influenced in a positive way while shopping for yuppie clothes......

13-Mar-15
Easy to beat their prices. Easy to beat their credit card.

13-Mar-15
I shoot only traditional but like to browse Cabelas in Maine. I am at the age where I am getting rid of stuff I don't use. Sold all my reloading equipment and kept just my little Lee handloaders for my 410 and 44 mag along with enough powder, primers, wads, bullets, and shot to last the rest of my life. Had 15 guitars and sold all but my three Gibsons, as they were the only ones that recorded well. Too many gizzies, but I still enjoy looking.

13-Mar-15
What have you done for me lately?!?! How soon we forget that Cabelas pulled the plug on sponsoring the Harrisburg, PA sportsman and outdoors show because the company running the show was not allowing any type of gun related vendors. After Cabela's pulled out many vendors followed and the show was cancelled! Kudos to Cabela's THEY STOOD BY US!!! They are not removing their mounts because some executive's wife doesn't like them, not yet anyways! Has the store changed? Absolutely, but they must to compete! Like it or not! I am in no way affiliated with Cabela's but try to remember who's on my side!

13-Mar-15
I only live 10 miles from one and still only go there as a last resort. Just a Walmart for the "outdoor" world, and not much of a one at that.

13-Mar-15
Saying that Cabela's "sucks" is a more than just a little extreme in passing judgement. While I agree that they have expanded too quickly and that many of their stores are manned by staff with limited practical outdoor/hunting experience I would hardly say "they suck." Cabel's does a lot to support outdoor and hunting organizations and causes. I'm glad to have them on our side.

13-Mar-15
I bet Cabela's has seen a huge change in Joe Q. Public as well....

13-Mar-15
"I bet Cabela's has seen a huge change in Joe Q. Public as well...."

Ummm, pretty much, as we've all seen.

I was at the last Sidewalk Sale at the old original Sidney store downtown. I arrived at 3:00 a.m. and was second in line. Number three didn't arrive until about 4:00, for the 8:00 a.m. shotgun start. the first five got t-shirts saying "I survived the Sidewalk Sale", and everyone was polite and orderly.

Fast forward a few years to the big new Sidney store, pre IPO. Prices were still super cheap at the sale, huge selection in big tents (because they didn't have all the little stores everywhere, and still offered the no-questions return policy). People started camping out in line a week ahead. Outfitters were paying people to sit in line all that time.

By 8:00 a.m. the line was 3/4 mile long. When the gun went off it was chaos, people forcing into the front, fights breaking out over stuff. A woman punched me and started screaming in my face when she wanted a rain jacket that I took off the rack as she was reaching for it.

13-Mar-15
I still think in general people like Cabelas, but most wish it was the Cabelas of old.....change has surely happened and the company has adapted to meet a wider audience.....unfortunatley that has left us (the minority) with less of the store space and commitment to actual gear. Such is life I guess.

13-Mar-15
doubleforkey,

"Right now I'm looking at buying something it costs $150.00 at cabelas I can get the same thing elsewhere for $100"

name the item please.

13-Mar-15
"Right now I'm looking at buying something it costs $150.00 at cabelas I can get the same thing elsewhere for $100"

name the item please.

13-Mar-15
"I like the fact that a bunch of undecided folk on hunting can be influenced in a positive way while shopping for yuppie clothes......"

-There's opinion and there is perspective. Genesis has perspective, a.k.a. wisdom.

13-Mar-15
Bou, bog pod for rifle hunt.

13-Mar-15
"I bet Cabela's has seen a huge change in Joe Q. Public as well...."

Very insightful angle, maybe the company has only changed some to reflect their customers.... absolutely a big factor. There are fewer and fewer of the hard core outdoorsmen and sportsmen and I'd guess their sales of products catering to them has dropped off a good deal. Far more casual customer demographic. Less hard core hunting/fishing and moving toward the REI/Campmor group.

I really enjoyed the Boise store, they had a few of their big tents set up in the camping section, wall tents, etc. with cots, stoves, tables set up inside... great displays. We had most of our gear already, passing through on the way to a hunt so didn't buy much. But had a great time in the store.

Not familiar with the "smaller" stores, but I do plan on visiting a store anytime I'm nearby and have the time to.

• Sitka Gear