boothill 26-Jun-24
Grey Ghost 26-Jun-24
bluedog 26-Jun-24
Grey Ghost 26-Jun-24
sundowner 26-Jun-24
bluedog 26-Jun-24
Corax_latrans 26-Jun-24
23-Jun-24
We have a mystery critter showing up at night. So far, he's eaten my wife's geraniums, has torn down a hummingbird feeder, and opened a single bottled drink in our garage. In the case of the bottled drink, he managed to unscrew the cap without damaging the bottle. The cap did have teeth or claw marks on it, but wasn't completely destroyed. No other damage done in the garage. The geraniums and bird feeder are in an area covered by landscape bark, so no tracks to be found. Obviously no tracks on the concrete floor of our garage.

My first thought was a coon, but the geraniums don't fit that guess. Geraniums are actually used to repel coons from gardens due to their strong aroma. I can't imagine a coon eating just the geraniums when there are other more tasty morsels to be found around the house.

Any ideas what this critter might be? And, what is your recommendation for an affordable and reliable trail camera? I've never owned one. Thanks in advance.

23-Jun-24
2 different critters? Tracks?

23-Jun-24
Was the flowers eaten or just trampled?

23-Jun-24
Get a blink security camera. Wireless and no monthly subscription. It stores all video for 2 weeks without a subscription. I have 6 at my house. Every entry has a camera along with my detached shop, inside the garage, and driveway. We have one in the kitchen area too so we can monitor inside while on vacation and such. We know exactly what critters/people are around and you are alerted in real time and view from your phone. Easiest security to install (2 screws).

What critter is tall enough to get in your trash and open a bottle cap? Wild #%s guess is feral dog.

23-Jun-24
sounds like bear to me

23-Jun-24
Brother-in-law!

23-Jun-24
Spike, the geraniums are in large pots at our front door. They had the blossoms and buds snipped off, like a deer might do, but the plants themselves were undamaged. Ryan, the bottled drink was on a shelf in one of those plastic wrappers, like bottled water comes in, about a foot off the ground. He managed to pull the drink out of the plastic wrapper without pulling the whole package off the shelf.

Two different critters is possible, but I still don't know what would eat just geranium blossoms, but nothing else in our yard. Deer have never bothered my wife's geraniums in the past.

23-Jun-24
GG. What kind of drink was in the bottle?

23-Jun-24
goelk, I've had a bear in our garage in the past, he made an absolute mess. This critter was very tidy, and only went after one bottled drink, didn't touch anything else.

The other thing I didn't mention. We have an outdoor garage cat. We leave the overhead garage door cracked open about 8-10", so he can come and go as he pleases. Whatever this critter is, he was able to crawl under the garage door. Our garage cat is usually very relaxed. I've noticed him much more on edge since this critter has been visiting.

23-Jun-24
Possibly chipmunks or squirrels on the geraniums.

23-Jun-24
Could be some meth-head hookers

23-Jun-24
Ring Tailed cat or Opossum Those are my two guesses Did it eat the outside cats food?

23-Jun-24
RK, it was a carbonated flavored water drink that my wife likes. When the critter got the lid off, apparently he didn't care for the drink. He left the bottle lying on its side, with most of the contents still in the bottle. It's a head scratcher.

23-Jun-24
RK, if he ate any of the cat's food, it wasn't much. Never seen a ring-tailed cat, or opossum, here in 24 years.

23-Jun-24
So that's probably what it is, if it's not a raccoon that loves those kind of flowers. Good luck with the mystery.

23-Jun-24
I would think only a raccoon could take a cap off a bottle. I would also think the plant eater would be a deer or rabbit.

23-Jun-24
I'll go along with spike's probability.. 2 critters... deer for flowers and hummingbird feeder and racoon for the bottle opened. Or.... maybe your wife is messing with your head.. been married to one for 53 years, they can be devious.

23-Jun-24

23-Jun-24
I took Ryan's advice and order a 3-pack of the Blink security cams. I'll update this thread if/when I figure out what this critter is. Thanks for your comments, gentlemen.

23-Jun-24
I had a bear break into barn and opened and drank a 6-pack of 2 cycle oil mix for my Stihl equipment. Of course there were teeth mark evidence. I can’t imagine it was very good

23-Jun-24
Wonder if I could hire the coon out to be a bartender. Might be tough making change.

23-Jun-24
Secure a coon cuff in your garage with a few mini-marshmallows in it. You'll find out what it is.

23-Jun-24
Aspen Ghost, thanks, I've considered traps, but I would be concerned about our dogs and outdoor cat. It sounds like the Coon Cuffs are dog proof, but not necessarily cat proof.

Once I determine what it is, and when I can expect to ambush it, the solution will probably involve a .22 cal bullet, or larger.

23-Jun-24
May want to check with your state game and fish agency before trapping or killing anything. I understand that may sound stupid but some states have seasons on raccoons. Here in WV we had trouble with raccoons getting on and tearing up bird feeders on deck. DNR gave us nuisance permits to trap and move them. I know the risk is small but no one wants an unnecessary game violation . I’m sure each state is different on laws and regulations

23-Jun-24
I'll second some meth-head hookers

23-Jun-24

Aspen Ghost's Link
1.) WHAT CAN I DO IF WILDLIFE IS CAUSING DAMAGE ON MY PROPERTY? Statute 33-6-107(9) and Wildlife Commission Regulations (WCR) 304, WCR 312(C), WCR 324(B), WCR 1000(A)(5), WCR 17122(C), WCR 17123(A) & WCR 17141(A) If wildlife is causing damage to crops, real or personal property, or livestock - a person (or any employee or agent of the landowner) may hunt, trap, or take the following wildlife on lands owned or leased by the person without securing a license to do so: • Black-billed magpies, common crows, starlings, English or house sparrows, common pigeons, coyotes, bobcats, red foxes, raccoons, jackrabbits, badgers, marmots, prairie dogs, pocket gophers, Richardson's ground squirrels, rock squirrels, thirteen-lined ground squirrel, porcupines, crayfish, tiger salamanders, muskrats, beavers, exotic wildlife, and common snapping turtles. • Additional species include: tree squirrels, cottontail rabbits, porcupines, bats, mice (except Preble's meadow jumping mouse), opossums, voles, rats, and ground squirrels. • Any person may kill rattlesnakes and skunks when necessary to protect life or property. • The pelts or hides of any mammal taken under these provisions may be transferred, possessed, traded, bartered, or sold by any person who holds an appropriate small game or furbearer license. License requirements are listed under WCR 304. Additional possession requirements for bobcats are under WCR 324. (For information on the possession and/or disposal of pelts and hides of animals NOT listed above, including bear and lion, please contact CPW for clarification.) 2.) WHAT METHODS CAN I USE TO TAKE WILDLIFE WHEN THEY ARE CAUSING DAMAGE ON MY PROPERTY? Statute 33-6-203(1), WCR 17122(A), WCR 17122(B), WCR 17122(C) and WCR 17122(G) Trapping and or shooting are the most common methods. • If using firearms, check with your local authorities on the laws that apply to discharging a firearm. • If trapping, the ONLY types of traps that may be used are LIVE (cage or box traps). (See #5 for exceptions.) Traps must be checked at least once every day. • Small game and furbearers captured in live traps cannot be moved from the capture site and must be killed or released on site when the trap is checked. (See #3 and #4 following for exceptions.)

23-Jun-24
Woodchuck ate the geraniums. Probably a raccoon got to the bird feeder and bottle.

23-Jun-24
Thanks, Brian, but there are no woodchucks here.

My Amazon security camera order says they are scheduled for delivery tonight, so I suspect I'll get them on Tuesday. The one day delivery thing never works out where we live. Hopefully the mystery will be solved shortly.

23-Jun-24
No state on your profile, so wasn't sure if you had any or not.

23-Jun-24
Brian, yeah, not sure why my State doesn't show on my profile. I live in central Colorado. I've never seen, or heard of anyone seeing, woodchucks, opossum, or ring-tailed cats here, in the 24 years we've lived here. Thanks, anyway.

23-Jun-24
If you're leaving your garage door open 8 or 10 inches one of those infamous meth head hookers could easily slide under. They don't usually carry much weight.

23-Jun-24
bluedog, the evidence doesn't match meth-head hooker damage. There was beer and liquor on the same shelf as the bottled water drink the critter got into. The booze wasn't touched. But, thanks. ;-)

23-Jun-24
I've heard they can get easily confused

23-Jun-24
Colorado has marmot, right? Just like a woodchuck (groundhog). They eat flowers.

23-Jun-24
I'll 3rd the meth-head hookers guess!

My first thought when reading your description was a trash panda (raccoon). But if you don't have them then maybe not.

I've never caught a kitty cat in a dog-proof, but if you want to set a trap then just bait it with something cats aren't attracted to. Marshmallows and anise oil? Or just set a large live trap.

23-Jun-24
Thanks, Scratch. We do have coons, but my research shows they hate geraniums.

My security cameras miraculously arrived tonight. One day Amazon shipping actually worked, that's a first. Hopefully, I'll have them setup tomorrow, and we can solve this mystery. I'll update this thread if/when I have new info. Thanks to all who responded.

23-Jun-24
Good luck!

24-Jun-24
I wanna know! I grew up in “central” CO myself, and raccoon is all I can come up with for opening a bottle; if there were a bear around, I’d expect you’d know….

I can’t imagine ANYTHING eating Geraniums, though— I could never abide the smell!

24-Jun-24

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
My bet is coon.

My gf got attacked and bit by a raccoon in her yard last Wednesday. She’s now on rabies vaccine protocol.

I’ve declared war on coon. Just caught another double last night and up to 6 that have been ‘relocated’

I use my cell camera to monitor the traps

24-Jun-24
I'll take the meth head hookers but I need a trail cam pic or two first.

24-Jun-24
my guess is a trans species meth-head raccoon hooker that actually identifies as a rabbit.

they are voracious eaters...especially when they are high on meth.

24-Jun-24

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
I'm guessing a Coon that just doesn't mind what kind of flower. Wife says Deer, Chipmunks or maybe a rabbit EXCEPT for the bottle.. Gotta be a coon. I rehabbed them for years & they destroy, get into anything & pretty much will eat whatever & can open just about anything.

25-Jun-24

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Update. The mystery is solved, or at least half of it. I installed one of the security cams Ryan suggested at the front door yesterday. At 4:40 AM this morning, the video footage confirmed the flower eater is in fact a deer. She looks like a young doe who apparently has acquired a taste for geraniums.

So, the 2 critter theory appears to be correct. I'm assuming the bottle opening critter is a coon. We've been closing the garage door at night, so that's prevented his return. Now, I need to figure out a way to keep the flower eater out of the yard.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, the flower eater is a young buck.

25-Jun-24

Ricky The Cabel Guy's embedded Photo
this is what my wife uses. stinks like hell until it dries but it’s the only thing shes found to keep the deer away from her ornamentals.

25-Jun-24
Thanks, Ricky, I'll give it try.

25-Jun-24
Winner winner. I really like blink cameras. So easy and no wires or hard drive. No surprise visitors and I can check on the wife and house while traveling for work.

25-Jun-24
Damn that was quick. Is that a Whitetail or mule deer?

25-Jun-24
Ryan, thanks for turning me on to the Blink system. I'm impressed by the quality of the video footage and how easy the system is to use.

Spike, it's a floppy-eared Mule deer.

26-Jun-24
GG, have you had the camera go off with the limbs on the tree blowing in the wind? Just wondering about how many times it is triggered. Thinking about a 4 camera system for a cabin in Colorado and I know the trail cams get a lot of triggers being mounted on trees and wind blowing is all.

26-Jun-24
boothill, the Blink system has a feature that allows you to define which areas of the camera's view is subject to motion detection. So, you can block out any trees or bushes that might trigger the camera in the wind. Pretty ingenious, really.

I've had to play with the motion sensor sensitivity setting to prevent unwanted video captures and notifications. The first night, I had the sensitivity on high. It was getting triggered by things as small as moths, so my phone was blowing up constantly. I've found that setting 5 out of a possible 10 is the sweet spot. It triggers on my outdoor cat and bunnies, but nothing smaller.

Hope this helps.

26-Jun-24
"WHAT CAN I DO IF WILDLIFE IS CAUSING DAMAGE ON MY PROPERTY? "

I tried everything I could think of to keep a single doe from eating my green bean plants. Radios set to Mexican rap stations, lights, 4 strands of fishing line around my garden. Nothing worked. I used trail cams to tell me when she was showing up. Called a Game Warden and he emailed me a Shoot to Scare permit! Must be a shotgun with no shot larger than #6. So I shot her from 65 yards with a turkey load at extra full choke. The warden asked that I let him know if I accidentally killed a deer. I couldn't find her so I reckon she's alive but not eating beans any more!

26-Jun-24
I've been using Gardepro cameras. Not very expensive and they seem to work well.

26-Jun-24
GG that is what is was hoping to hear. I was watching YouTube today and seen where you could block out sections. And I’m assuming each camera can be set differently then. Thanks for the info.

26-Jun-24
Sundowner, I like your style....teach the animal a painful lessen, without unnecessarily killing them. I have both a shotgun and nice pellet gun exactly for that purpose, depending on the size if the critter, and I've used both.

My flower eater buck will get one opportunity to leave using the spray-on repellent that Ricky suggested. If he doesn't get the message, he'll learn a painful lesson too.

26-Jun-24
GG.... no need to make it painful, just the loud noise of a shotgun close will give him the hint.

Got 2 acres with trees by a small river. Bald eagles cruise the river naturally. I have a 11# indoor outdoor cat they wouldn't mind bagging. Twice now one would start swooping around trees in yard scouting. A 20 ga shotgun fired 4 or 5 yards behind him discourages him and he stays up and down the river and out of my territory..

Still wrapping my head around asking for permit to fire a warning shot... guess I'm lucky I live where I do.

26-Jun-24
bluedog, you are correct for most species. But I've had coons, skunks, and one bear who didn't get the message with warning shots. I've never had to spank a deer, so my young flower eater is not likely to be different.

26-Jun-24
bluedog, I live in a remote area also, but I've got a neighbor who would not approve of stinging a doe with fine shot just because she was eating bean plants. I didn't want a confrontation with him, so I got the permit.

26-Jun-24
Figured as much sundowner.. I'll walk a mile to avoid confrontation myself. Just pointless if can be avoided.

Hear ya GG, got a couple of woodchucks just arrived , an annual event. Warning .22 shot in chest will do the trick as in the past.

26-Jun-24
The good thing about non-lethal “lesson l’arnin’” is that if you kill a troublemaker, it creates an open territory for the next potential troublemaker to move into; Larry Hatfield used to say that he had a pair of well-mannered coyotes on his property, and they had full diplomatic immunity…. Just as long as they remained Diplomatic in their dietary selections….. Why would you kill off a couple of gopher-eaters to make room for a couple of calf/lamb/chicken eaters??

On something like a deer (or a bear), I’d think rubber buckshot (or rubber blunts, out of a lightish bow) might be preferred, assuming they won’t break the skin. Wouldn’t want the neighbors seeing blood.

In my brother’s neighborhood, a couple of dogs have been maimed/killed by mulies — does in the spring, bucks in the fall —- and his own dog is no longer interested in chasing them off…. Pretty sure she got clipped by a hoof….

27-Jun-24

"But I've had coons, skunks, and one bear who didn't get the message with warning shots."

we've had the same issue with a couple of bears around here. a few years ago we had a problem with bears tipping over our trash dumpster and spreading trash all over the front yard. all the yelling...pot banging...an yes even a warning shot did nothing. all they would do was stand there and stare at you.

this was my solution...

havent had to pick up trash since. now all they do is knock it over...bounce on it for bit (thats an interesting sound in the middle of the nighjt...lol) and when the lid doesnt open they move on to the neighbors...the ones that havent retrofitted their dumpsters anyway.

:)

• Sitka Gear