Swamp Buck 27-Aug-09
Broadhead150 27-Aug-09
scentman 27-Aug-09
bow shot 27-Aug-09
bow shot 28-Aug-09
BadgerND 28-Aug-09
petedrummond 30-Aug-09
21-Aug-09
After watching deer at feeders for over a week now, in our Wildlife Activity Research Project - I've seen deer feeding near/with coyotes and gray fox, and at a feeder within one hour of when a ber was there, and they showed no fear reaction. In some cases they may have been nervous of the bear smell, but within a few minutes they calmed down.

In my previous scrape studies I've noticed deer at scrapes, within an hour of the time of when I placed a game camera near the scrape. In one instance there wre 5 different bucks at a scrape within 6 hours of when I put the camera out.

I've also had deer within 20 yards of me, downwind, when I was hunting or doing research, with no special precautions taken to avoid them smelling me.

On the other hand, I've had deer bolt when they were within 20 yards of me. But, did they smell me - or see me - or hear me?

Are we making too much of the "deer are afraid of human scent" thing? I suppose it depends on how much contact with humans the deer are accustomed to.

What do you think???

May God bless you and yours,

T.R.

21-Aug-09
"Scenting conditions"

Have you ever heard of "scenting conditions?"

Old bird dog trainers explained why a dog can lock up on point on a bird, 20 yards away one day - and can't seem to find one under their nose the next day, as "scenting conditions."

As in, "The scenting conditions are bad today."

Ever notice on some days you can smell things better than on others?

Some of the phenomena that you are trying to understand may be related to "scenting conditions."

21-Aug-09
are you kidding me ?? One wiff and good bye charlie !!

21-Aug-09
Like everything else that makes the world go around, they do what they do when they do it and for reasons they want to! Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Who really cares??? Are you afraid of giving a deer a heart attack, or are you just wondering if you stink?

Next 200 year old question!

21-Aug-09
I think it depends on the situation. If the deer think they have it figured out and have the "upper hand" they won't spook or spook immediatley. However, if they feel threatened and don't know where it's from they go into flight mode.

There's always Scent Lok .... 8^)

21-Aug-09
I have a feeling that there is something built into a deers DNA that is associated with human odor/odors associated with humans that is instinctive. Also I think that the time of year when there is more human activity in their area changes how they react. One thing is certain. Human odor changes the ball game.

21-Aug-09
Depends on the individual deer. I get thousands of pictures a year with my trail camera, sometimes within less than 20 minutes after changing memory cards and putting out grain in front of it. There are deer that never step foot in front of the camera, but I know are there in the area because I've seen them from my stands. I've seen deer come across my scent trail, stop dead in their tracks and flee the other direction, while others never even pay it any attention while using the same path. Every year, I encounter at least one doe that can smell me no matter how careful I am about using the wind to my favor, she finds me everytime and sounds off whenever she is anywhere near me. I hunt in an area with several houses close by, they live there and are use to alot of human activity and scent. I wouldn't say they are alarmed by it, but they are definately tuned into it.

21-Aug-09
Town Deer-I live the edge of a 25,000+ town, city limits (12 years) with a near 40 Acre timber coming up to my back yard. I have deer come to my bird feeders pretty regular. If I walk out & they are 40 or so yds. away they just watch me or us & walk into the woods. If closer they go right into the woods. If they are at a bird feeder & we go to the window & they see movement they immediatly run to the edge of woods (corner is 30 yds away)& then stop. If a car goes by on the street(120 feet away) they ignore it unless it stops & then they head for the woods almost right away.

Where I Bowhunt an hour away I have walked to my stand & had deer cross my path in less than 30 min. with no reaction but on a swirling windy day had them take off when I'm sitting in my tree stand. In the woods seeing deer, daytime "seems" if you get closer than 80-100 yds. they move off, especially if your moving toward them. If you walk at an angle you can get much closer-if they smell you or not. My brother & I have walked right up on deer coming out of the woods at night as I am sure most have. Nothing scientific-just observations in over 50 years of Bowhunting. I think it's whatever they have been exposed to-I have never gun hunted but one thing-after the 1st few shots of gun season they know not to hang around anywhere.

21-Aug-09
I just use scentlock and never have to worry - that or a battery operated invisible curtain ;^).

SteveBNY

21-Aug-09
I heard once this, maybe nothing to do with smell but more with the deer instincts to danger. Predator have two eyes aiming forword, predators victims have them to the sides (so they can see a predator coming from behind).That concludes that humans are predators. When the victims feel two eyes staring at them they sense danger, that together with smell and bye bye. Thats why indians always had a 1 eye looking paint in there faces or foreheads. You see videos from Africa in which lions are close to antelopes and they ar calmly drinking water but when the lion start a stalking position and stares to the antelopes they start to get really tense.

When I am hunting (I always do it ground level and in natural blinds) and a deer see me I close one eye and believe it or not, sometimes they relax. Sort of what ahunter55 is saying when he does an aproach with an angle.

Maybe thats why during hunting season things change with deer.

F.J.

21-Aug-09
I think it comes down to a sixth sense that is built in. A good hunter just seems to know when something is different. I think a deer/animals have that as well and that puts them on alert that something is wrong in their world. Sure they make mistakes but after a few seasons they are really tuned in. Especially the big ones.

21-Aug-09
Deer are no different than any animal and there is more to animal behavior than we as humans give them credit. unlike us they can tell the difference between the smell of humans, cats or anything else for that matter. If there is a reason for them be afraid I'm sure they will run if they smell you. We have turkey following us around when we plant in the spring, try to put on your scentloc and try to hunt them, different matter. Deer in a public park are all but tame, they have gotten use to humans and don't see them as a threat. If you are in an area where they have been taught to fear the smell of a person or any threat they will signal and run. a lot of it is just common sense.

21-Aug-09
Buckiller has it figured out on the moisture thing(relative humidity)This fact is overlooked and not understood by many hunters

I think fear of human scent is a learned behavior affected by several variables.

21-Aug-09
Not arguing that there are a lot of variables, with scenting conditions (thermals, moisture, temperature, folliage, etc.) playing into it, but my first response was same as tjh

"are you kidding me ?? One wiff and good bye charlie !! "

Apparently all variables are alive and well in Southern IL, because I've never seen a whitetail stand around at close range that had caught wind of me. However, these are wild whitetails and not found in anyone's research center.

You really need to spend more time in the woods under hunting conditions. I wouldn't suspect you wouldn't seriously be asking this question then.

21-Aug-09
Deer don't have a built in button that tells them what humans smell like and to run when they smell it. If it is a new smell it may sure get their attention. Most deer are only two and a half years old and it is quite possible that a lot of them have never smelled a human. Once when I was on my stand I had a small doe pick up the smell where I walked into my stand and like a blood hound followed it right to the foot of my tree. After spotting me in the tree backed off a few yards and stood their stomping one foot trying to get me to move.

Always remember that when you are hunting that you are no longer in your living room but theirs. They know what is suppose to be there and what is not. Once going to my stand I sneaked in from the back side and on a full moon night and got to my stand early. I was watching deer run in around a clover field waiting for light when an other hunter parked his truck up on the road close by. When he opened the door to get out the light came on and from where me and the deer were at we could see and hear everything he was doing and even heard the truck door slam shut. He then got his little flash light out and walked down towards my stand where me and the deer had been watching his ever move ever since he had got there. I'm sure these deer got his smell and number his first trip out.

21-Aug-09
Maybe it's like the Professional SEX Drs say-humans give off a scent that can be detected by the opposite sex (Unknown to us) that makes them choose a particular person to breed. MAYBE-when WE are in the HUNT mode we give off a PREDATOR smell. Sounds good to me.....

21-Aug-09
What!!!!!!!!!!!

21-Aug-09
Simple, wild deer are afraid of humans and human scent.

21-Aug-09
I strongly believe that whitetail can/are conditioned to a tollerable level of human scent. Now that being said, agricultural deer will tollerate human scent more so than whitetail in big deep woods or more remote areas.

You still need to play the wind regarless.

21-Aug-09
Sometimes when I want to increase my odds, I like to take a pair of my underwear that I was wearing after I have been mowing grass in 95 degree weather for 3 hours and hang them up in front of my stand. Honestly.....deer are really attracted to them and aren't the least bit spooked of my manly odor.

21-Aug-09
Bowfreak - I partially agree. I'd totally agree if you included scent-lok while mowing your grass.

21-Aug-09
Problem is TT, with scent lok on it wouldn't even be fair! See nothing......and I mean nothing can smell you if you are wearing scent-lok.

21-Aug-09
It's the amount of scent present that drives them away. We are the preditor, they know it and associate us with the scent. Same as a wolf, coyote, mt. Lion, ect. To them, it means possible harm or death. It cones down to the intensity of the scent, wether or not they are going to bolt, or just ease back out. Scentlock, Scentblocker, ect. does help, it just cuts down the intensity. It really still comes down to the wind and thermals. Indians relied on the wind and so should all hunters. Just my thoughts, Hunt hard, be safe.

21-Aug-09

Ron's embedded Photo
Ron's embedded Photo
I have numerous pictures of moose, elk, deer and bear that shows no sign of fear of humans. The fear is either taught or learned from experience that has been past down. They are not born with this fear they learn it. One of my favorites was on Utube "deer for breakfast" that some one posted several years ago on the bow site where a couple were camped out and were eating breakfast and set out several plates on the table for about six deer that were close by. They came right up and ate with them.

22-Aug-09
yes, and if you have to ask your a complete.......

22-Aug-09
"The fear is either taught or learned from experience that has been past down. They are not born with this fear they learn it."

The animals of the Galapagos Islands should prove this.

The strength of the odor could also indicates distance from the source. Deer living in urban areas are accustom to a certain base level of human odor that causes no alarm. Western deer in gun season would most likely have a totally different reaction to the slightest smell.

22-Aug-09
The best analogy I've heard related to scent and deer is it's like finding say a candy wrapper in your driveway, no big deal. Find one next to your bed and you're like whoa, where did this come from???

22-Aug-09
"agricultural deer will tollerate human scent more so than whitetail in big deep woods or more remote areas"

I've heard this a hundred times and have yet to experience this. The deer I hunt in Southern IL are as much agricultural deer as any and I've seen only one reaction to human scent from them............and it wouldn't be refered to as tollerance. Yeah I'm sure they can tollerate, to some extent, the farmer who is in the middle of a field working on his planter, but sit in the woods and let him get a good smell............he is outta there.

22-Aug-09

25-Aug-09
The deer I research in city parks, or in suburban housing areas, pay very littel attention to humans, or cars, until you get too close (whatever too close is to that deer). I've got video or them in the yard of a house. with lots of turkeys, on YouTube. The guy who lives in the house can go out to the garage to get a coffe can full of corn, and the deer and turkeys will stand right there. But, if he walks toward them they move away (they do not run away).

I've seen deer in or near these areas stand and watch as cars go by 40 yard away, but if the car slows down or stops, they may walk, trot or run away.

I"ve got deer on the agricultural areas where I do research, that after 3-4 years of me walking around the area, checking rubs and scrapes, that will stadn there 20 yard away. But, if I get closer to them, they may walk, trot or run away. On the other hand if I walk up on them and they don't see, smell or see me (until I am close), they will immediately snort and run off. Others wll stand there and snort, as long as I hold still.

And I've found that if they don't smell you, but do see you, if you can hold still for 3 minutes or so, they wil forget you are there.

And I've got deer that will trot into the woods if they see a car slow down 1/2 mile away. And others that will go about their business as the car gets closer, and goes on by - as long as the car does not slow way down.

I have some deer that will rearely spook at my scent on properties where I hunt or do reserch, because they are accustomed to my scent all year long, at any time of the day. And I have other deer on those properties that will snort and stand there, or snort and run, or just walk away if they smell me.

I think that at least some of the behavior we refer to as being spooked by scent is learned - from the deer's mother. And it may be that a fear of human scent is not genetically passed on, because I've seen many instances where a fawn will imprint on a human, and follow it around as if the human were its mother.

And it is extremely likely that an individual deer's fear of human scent - is directly related to the amount of scent it has been exposed to in the past, and the experience it had during past meetings with humans.

So, depening on each situation, deer may or may not be alarmed by human scent. One of our jobs as a hunter, is to figure out how much scent the deer wil tolerate, at what distance, in the area we are currently hunting.

On the off chance that the deer will spook at any amount of scent, we might want to go to the scent elimination extreme, and ply the wind at all times.

Alghout I would not rely on an activated carbon suit, I will use Scent Killer and Scent Blocker soaps, detergents, deodorants and sprays.

I'e used unscented Febreeze air freshner to rid my clothes of scent, and reduce the amount of human body odor I give off. I wear rubber bottomed boots, and I wear gloves.

And I always play the wind.

God bless,

T.R.

25-Aug-09
I should add that I always take scent reduction precautions when I hunt, I rarely do when I scout or do research - because I want the deer to become accustomed to my scent (especially when I am not there). That way they are less likely to spook if they do smell me when I hunt.

25-Aug-09
I have noticed that if they only hear you, they usually become somewhat alarmed but will still hang around, just really curious, if they only see you move a little, the same. If they see you move a little and hear you, they are gone. From what I have seen, one sense being alerted sometimew requires confirmation from a second, sight or sound,, but,, if they smell you, it's game over. They are gone. That is my expereience at least.

Unless you have a Scent Lock suit on that is, then it's okay. Heck, in one of those, you can be singing and dancing directly upwind from a deer and they won't get alarmed, just amused.

Good luck out there, Jay

25-Aug-09
If a animal ran everytime it smelled a human or human scent then there would be hardly any mature animals in this country! They would just run themselves to death if that was the case! Think about that!

25-Aug-09
JayG,

You are obviously paying attention out there, because your observations, and conclusions - are spot on. I've noticed the same things.

EH,

It makes sense,

The rest of you, you have some good insights.

God bless,

T.R.

27-Aug-09
All the deer that have smelled me run away. I would have to say yes they are alarmed. All the snorting and stomping while running away with the flag up has lead me to this conclusion.

27-Aug-09
We have all seen deer and, other animals, in the presence of people. At times it seems they are completely oblivious to human scent but, to rely on that would be folly of the highest order. Attention to detail is what separates the best from the rest.

27-Aug-09
I guess my opinion would be deer gauge our scent according to distance and determine when they really need to beat feet. I mean you see deer when you are 30 ft up a tree stand even when the wind is not in your favor... they still get a whiff of your stinky breath, butt or what have you, its just not as strong if were only 10 ft up. JTV also makes a good point.

27-Aug-09
I sleep in the woods sometimes and been wakened a few times by deer inches away, sniffing me.

Deer (and other creatures) can pick up INTENT from the odors and posturing of their own kind and that of other creatures. Sometimes we give off odors/motions that cause them alarm, sometimes we don't.

You could equate the odors, motions and postures of creatures at particular moments to human speech.

'But their "speech" isn't clouded with a bunch of vanity like ours is, and they will only trust ours to a small degree.

JMHO, and that of a few others too...

28-Aug-09
I can't even kill 'em in my dreams LOL!!

28-Aug-09
I did an experiment once while bow hunting. There were 6 or 7 does and fawns feeding in a field surrounded by high grass. They had not seen me, and I decided to stalk them from the upwind side to see if they would spook. They obviously smelled me; you could tell by how nervous they were. I got within about 20 yards, and they still had not seen me(at least had not identified me as human) or heard me; the wind was blowing 15-20 mph. Then a truck drove down the dirt road behind me, at least 200 yds. away and they were gone in a flash.

30-Aug-09
Deer are not afraid of human scent unless it appears at the wrong place and wrong time. If the deer live in proximity to humans they come in your yard. However if they smell you in a new spot where you don't belong they become alarmed. I found by letting the squirrel hunters run around in my woods the deer are less spooky during hunting season. I make a point of driving my four wheeler through the woods a lot too.

• Sitka Gear