rebbie 19-Oct-12
KJC 19-Oct-12
Bill in MI 20-Oct-12
Bigfoot 20-Oct-12
cthunt 21-Oct-12
Big Game Hunter 21-Oct-12
rattling_junkie 29-Oct-12
13-Oct-12
Take some great photos....I'll expect to see them in Kansas.....

13-Oct-12
Best of luck Pat, great time to he there. X2 what mediceneman said, lots of pics!

13-Oct-12
Good luck. Looking forward to following it! I'm sure Rob has something good in store for you!

13-Oct-12
Lucky Dog--go getum

13-Oct-12

14-Oct-12
must not be to bright

14-Oct-12
That's funny right there.

14-Oct-12
no update yet maybe they are out skinnin'

14-Oct-12
Did TSA detain him for questionning, or just confiscate the ammo?

14-Oct-12
Good luck Pat! I'm heading up to the porcupine hills in saskatchewan on the 22nd, can't wait!!!!!!

14-Oct-12
Happened to my brother, he likely will get a fine in the mail....

14-Oct-12
I have been stopped numerous times with ammo, skinning blades, knives. My wife now checks my carry on before I go any place. No fines, delays in travel yet. Easy to explain due to profession but that should not have kept them from pressing some charge.

Pat is probably out tracking or skinning. I hope so.

14-Oct-12
You're a better man than me...my bow woulda went off!

14-Oct-12
That was a beautiful deer, it would be tough to let that walk.

15-Oct-12
Nice buck, I would have shot him but then again I've never shot a 155 either.

Josh

15-Oct-12
Good choice Pat, there's a lot better deer up there. Hold out for a 160-Plus at least; Your in Saskatchewan you know!

15-Oct-12
Awesome! I would have probably held out too, being the first day and all. I am guessing mid 150's.

15-Oct-12
Off to a good start, good luck Pat!!!!

15-Oct-12
That was a beautiful deer, it would be tough to let that walk.

15-Oct-12
That's one nice deer. Hope he doesn't haunt your dreams.

15-Oct-12
those Canadian deer are so hard to judge with those enormous bodies, I would guess 140's. Nice deer for sure, agree with your decision Pat, first sit on the hunt, wait for a giant that makes you jump up to shoot :)

15-Oct-12
Yeah that would have been a bummer for all of us following if you would have shot it on the first day. Thanks for holding off ;).

15-Oct-12
Well I get it. If I'd driven a couple of long days to get up there, expect 5 days of hunting, tagging out in the first 4 hours would be difficult.

Lots of pressure also to have the feature run most of the 5 days.

Know what? I'm glad he chose to show us he let that great buck walk 'cause he could have shot the deer, and then staged the presentation of the kill as being on the last day instead of the first. We would be none the wiser. We know there are video/tv hunting gurus who have done similar tricks and worse in the past.

Our host is an honest gentleman. I appreciate that.

15-Oct-12
"It was only day one and I hate tagging out on day one."

Yep, same drill!

I think the gross score of the rack you passed would be higher than last years buck. Last years was more mature for sure. Good call and good luck!! C

PS: Rob, well done! Your job is done:)

15-Oct-12
Pat, Good Luck!!!

15-Oct-12
What a great place to hunt! Beautiful wild country with a good chance that a true giant could show at any time. The deer body size makes even our mature Iowa bucks look small. The deer shot last year was very nice, the picture a little red. Good Luck!

15-Oct-12
Pat, Pat, Pat... I hope you don't regret the decision 5 days later. Great buck! Only you have to be happy with what you shoot, so great choice and enjoy the hunt! Looking forward to the rest of the story.

15-Oct-12
On the other hand, if you are standing over a 170+" buck in a couple days, you sure will be glad for the decision that you made.....

15-Oct-12
Pat great call.

If an animal in front of us in bow range does not excite us enough to shoot it at the first opportunity there really is no decision to be made at that point.

15-Oct-12
Good luck Pat! Tough choice on that first buck, but I think I would have done the same thing. BTW, I don't remember you wearing the Hannibal Lecter mask during last year's hunt. Scary look.

15-Oct-12
that buck would not of been walking passed me .....

15-Oct-12
Good karma is coming your way for sure! I'd guess that buck in the mid to upper 140's. Hopefully at the end of the week you'll know for sure that you made the right call!

15-Oct-12
Pat, it is always a great hunt when you let a shooter go. If you take him, you guarantee that he won't get any bigger next year. With that said, that is a pretty big deer. Do you follow my rule? If you let him go once, you can't change your mind?

15-Oct-12
Always exciting to have to make that decision on day one... Hang tough and enjoy the adventure. Best of Luck

15-Oct-12
I hate to be that guy but I'd be shocked if last year's buck was 155 inches. Maybe it's just the pics or my eye is way off...and I'm pretty used to our big bodied deer. Either way great buck and fun to follow the live hunt.

15-Oct-12
Pat forgot to mention his afternoon nap in his double ladder stand yesterday. This afternoon it is sunny and nearly 70 degrees and I can hear him snoring from the lodge right now. Guess I'll go lasso a big buck and put a bell on him for an alarm clock....

15-Oct-12
Im gonna question that decision but then again I've never been on Saskatchewan hunt. Tough decision.

15-Oct-12
i would say 135 -138 on that buck. But if last years is 155 then i am way off.HUNT

15-Oct-12
Pat I may be off but I say that buck is in the 140's. You passed him again today. I know you will get a shot a t a bigger deer. Hang tight and get some rest for tomorrow.

16-Oct-12
hey Pat - you said an all day sit is brutal unless you're prepared and you listed "sleeping pills" ....

how does that help ?

at 42 I'm just now disciplined enough to do all day sits but at 42, I'm also old enough now it sucks :)

good choices on passing that buck BTW - you can't shoot a 200" by shooting the first 150" that comes in

16-Oct-12
Be patient. You are in position to see some great deer. Don't shoot until you see a buck and instantly know - "I'm taking him." The adrenaline rush that will come will make up for 5 12 hour sits in a row if it comes to that.

16-Oct-12
Rob, maybe you should just tape a grunt tube with that buck wheeze option to him so at least he is doing some calling instead of snoring

16-Oct-12
You made a great decision. I don't think a cum-a-long and two stout trees coulda helped ya stretch that youngster to even 130 if you are really honest about that deer. Some of these guys calling 150's are smoking their lunch. Even if you go home with an unfilled tag, I think you will review that video and be happy that you didn't shoot that deer.

Good luck the rest of the hunt.

16-Oct-12
Watching with interest. A partner and I have bow/muzzleloader hunted in Saskatchewan for almost 10 years now (we are from Alberta). Keen to see how you make out this year Pat. Great country in northern Sask.

I think it was a good decision to pass. One saying that my partners and I disagree with is "Don't pass up the first day what you'd take the last". Go ahead and pass them up if they're not quite what you're after. Hunting is, after all, about enjoying the experience in the outdoors and with the animals. Its not about just getting an animal.

16-Oct-12
Pat your a better man then me i would have drilled him the first day ,but then again the story's you hear about the bruisers running around will make you wait . Good luck Pat expecting a good report for day 3...

16-Oct-12
What kind of bucks are on camera in the area?

16-Oct-12
Hey Pat, congrats on making the front cover of P&Y fall mag great field photo and bull! Good luck on your hunt!

17-Oct-12
I would have shot him ...and never had to think about it twice......Good luck

17-Oct-12
Sleeping pills?

17-Oct-12
Pat has got it figured out, holding out on a big one yet has that nice 11pt come in every hunt :^) Time to ground check ol forky!!

17-Oct-12
Pat you did the right thing that deer is awesome and has potential to be an absolute Giant. He is young and deserves the pass. But for someone to think he won't go 130" come on now. That buck is mid 40's all day!

18-Oct-12
It's funny because every hunt for me has different meanings and expectations.

I have been on several elk hunts and could have several elk under my belt (cows and small bulls) but I didn't shoot because I wanted a big, mature bull. I don't regret the choice one bit because most days I got to hear mature bulls screaming and that's what elk hunting is about for me.

There are other hunts where it's all about filling the freezer and very little has a chance to walk past me.

The buck was nice that was passed but this is Sasks where true GIANTS roam. I'm sure Pat has a lot of nice bucks at home. Sometimes it's not about normal.

Either way, enjoying the hunt!!

18-Oct-12
Na---If Pat passed on him once, twice --then he won`t shoot him..He is up there to hunt, not to just kill...seen way too many of these live hunts with Pat..He wants to be happy with whatever he shoots not just satisfied...

18-Oct-12
LOL..I bet he never sees him again...is that a bad bet too? he he he..Have a good hunt Pat...

19-Oct-12
Hang in there Pat! I wish you the best of luck on your last day!

19-Oct-12
This one's about as exciting as a Ct mobile live hunt! :) C'mon Pat make me eat my words!

19-Oct-12
Good luck my friend!

Matt & Cheryl

20-Oct-12
When is peak chasing up that far north? Not withstanding the weather, the sightings seem low.

Are you doing any blind calling/rattling?

Last day fingers crossed...my buddy always shoots a deer on the last day, keep the faith.

Bill

20-Oct-12
Sounds like you hit the October lull, combined with wet weather that has slowed movement. When we have hunted in that country in early October, we sometimes find some mature bucks on feed patterns (thats always what we hope for!), but often find we need to find small core areas to find a mature buck. Our experience is they don't seem to move to much from these areas at that time of the year. We usually find these by sign. Later in the month (like you are hunting right now) I would imagine they are even more off the summer type feed patterns. Hope you find one on your last morning. Good luck.

21-Oct-12
Great hunt Pat my hat goes off to you for not shooting that nice buck,i would have pass on him too if i shot such a monster buck the year before,next year you will get great rewards.

21-Oct-12
Hey Pat, Can you post more pictures of the other deer that were shot on this hunt? I am hunting with Rob in four weeks and would like to see the pictures of the other deer that were killed. Thanks and happy hunting!!!!

29-Oct-12
So what was the official score on the buck from last year?

• Sitka Gear