Cazador 16-Nov-10
benno 16-Nov-10
wilhille 17-Nov-10
tnmtnhunter 17-Nov-10
Norseman 17-Nov-10
Mtfury 18-Nov-10
Gregor 19-Nov-10
10-Oct-08
This year I took a guy who has never gone hunting, elk hunting. Of all things, he's a soccer dad from California now living in Colorado.

He heard I was going elk hunting for five days, and asked if I could cut it down to three? Ends up, he coud take three days off work and go. Hmm non-hunter taking three days off? I gave him the invite, and off we went.

The short of it was the first morning, we got into five bugling bulls and at 8AM, we're standing in a spot I simply love. I look over at him and said "you know how many elk have met their fate right here?" and he says, really? I said "yeah, good spot".

Just then a cow mews, and he asked what was that? I told him it was a cow, and we needed to move 20 yds over. We get over a few yards, and he see's the cow running down the hill being chased by two young bulls about 150 yds away but she wants none of it. I told him to get behind me, and get ready.

I cow call once, and the bulls are running at us. He's shaking like a little kid, and is laying behind me watching everything unfold. Here comes the bulls head on, 20, 18, 15 yards with nothing between us. I'm already set and at 15ish yards, they split, and turn broadside. I shoot the first bull that gives me a chance. Rob goes nuts and yells "you got him", the bull hit is now really running, and the other at this moment resides in NM. I cow call hard, and the bull is slowing up some 60 yds away, he's wobbling, but gets out of sight. Rob, is now shaking and cannot believe how exciting this stuff is. He says " man that was intense, short, but man intense".

The shot looks good, but I'll give him an hour. Rob says "An hour, you nailed him, let go get him". I tell him to relax and we'll give him a bit just in case.

We take up the trail, and the blood is very good, Rob is loving this part of it. I tell him to get off to the side, and I'll let him lead. We get to the spot where we last saw the elk, and head in. The blood is still good, and I see the elk but don't say anything. He finally spots him and is in shock at how big an elk is and he's smiling.

I ask Rob if he's ok with this and he says "yeah, everything is fine, great". We take some photos, and I ask if he's ok with breaking the elk down? He says, "yeah lets do it." So we get the job done and I promise half the meat, the horns, and promise a nice long pack out. Midway out, one of the packs is bleeding a bit from the meat around the shoulder. He asks, something is running down my back into but my butt. I look, and tell him he's just sweating and continue on kind of laughing to myself.

Two big trips, and we're done. I never thought about taking a non-hunting guy out, but I found it facinating. Anyways, that was my elk season, together with a NonHunter, packing meat, sharing stories, and it looks like he might get a bow. The funny thing is, another soccer mom sends me an email as seen below........

Chad,

I told Shawn that you took Rob hunting, and he thought that was really cool. He is a big outdoorsman, but has never been hunting. If you are ever interested in having a rookie tag along, and help haul gear, let Shawn know. He thinks that it would be a lot of fun.

Have a great day!

Tambrey

10-Oct-08
Great story Caz! Awesome to let people who have never expeirenced hunting to see what it's all about! I'm sure he'll tell many of his friends who may have looked down upon us as hunters and maybe give them a different perspective as well. I've turned people down in the past because I always thought it would just mess up my hunt and I'd end up having to leave early to take them home but now I may reconsider.

Oh, and while hunting in Northern NM this year I think I seen that other Elk run by me doing about 95! LOL!

10-Oct-08
Here is Rob with "his" bull.

10-Oct-08
Here he is helping break down the elk.

10-Oct-08
Can I have some.....please??!!!

YUM!

10-Oct-08
Here's Rob packing out.

10-Oct-08
Here we are taking a break. I told him he'd never have a better nap than the one we were about to take. The Aspens were on fire, cool calm day, I didn't want it to end.

10-Oct-08

10-Oct-08
That story is a trophy, good for you and our sport!

I'm picturing my son Hunter and the video I took of him after shooting a fawn a couple years ago...shaking like a leaf and loving every minute of it!

There's a hunting video idea. Take a newbie or nonhunter out and video their reactions when you get your buck, bull, pig...

10-Oct-08
The blue latex gloves gives it away that he's a non-hunter! LOL

10-Oct-08
Nice story and thanks for welcoming another person into the world of hunting in a positive manner!

Looks like the gutless method works well for you as well. Anyone notice that Rob, the non-hunter is in the middle of it all and is clean as a whistle? Certainly another advantage of gutless field care!

Monarch: Does the blue glove thing mean that I am a non-hunter, too? That is the one thing that is at the top of the pack when the field care starts. Sure makes personal clean-up easier!

10-Oct-08

10-Oct-08
Way to go Cazador. We all should take someone if we can. Especially kids. We may never make them a hunter but it may keep them from becoming an anti-hunter. As an aside, I always seem to have good luck when someone tags along.

Great story.

10-Oct-08
That is a fantastic story.

10-Oct-08
Way to go Cazador! That is awesome! Thanks for the story!

Now go teach those guys what kind of family bonding and benefit it can have on their kids!

Lance

10-Oct-08
Great story. That's the best way to educate the non-hunting public. I think my non-hunting friends enjoy my stories more than my hunting buddies.

10-Oct-08
That is a great story.

10-Oct-08
That is so cool! I bet he will never forget that day.

10-Oct-08
Awesome Caz! Thanks for introducing him to the sport. I've got two hunts planned where I'm taking new hunters this fall. Both are gun hunts but I'll take what I can get.

10-Oct-08
"The blue latex gloves gives it away that he's a non-hunter! LOL " - I typically use gloves when I am smart enough to remember them. Beats the hell out of getting blood all over my steering wheel. But, then, I am speaking of whitetail hunting where much of the "fresh" carcass transport is done fairly quickly.

10-Oct-08
I forgot to add my congratulations. You've done something very admirable cazador. I really like the photos.

10-Oct-08
Bravo! You did more for bowhunting right there than most of us can dream of. That's what it's all about! Only way it could have been better is if he was a kid.

Thanks man,

Nick

10-Oct-08
Great job Cazador, what a positive experience. I have been worried about taking non hunters with me elk hunting. I need to change my attitude and give back to our great sport. Many of the Dads in my neighborhood call or stop by after one of my hunting trips to listen to the stories and see the pictures. After reading your story I am going to invite one of them on next years hunt.

10-Oct-08
That's a great story. You've already had a better season than most of us, becuase of taking your new buddy. We should all make a point of trying to do this when an opportunity presents itself.

10-Oct-08
The guy I paint with asked me if he could spend a few days in the elk woods with me next year. He is a non hunter but enjoys elk meat. Should be a good time. Thanks for sharing your experience. Paul

10-Oct-08
Great story from a great ambasador of the sport. Thank you.

Never hunted and then in on a successful archery elk hunt. Wow. I guess if you're gonna take the plunge, the high board is as good a place as any to do it! Cool.

10-Oct-08
AWESOME, that's all that needs to be said!

10-Oct-08
cazador. One of the most rewarding postings I have ever read on this site. Thank you.

10-Oct-08
What states allow a "non-hunter" along? Would they have to get a license, maybe get buy with just a small game license?

Here in MN if you have someone walking with you when you pheasant hunt or deer hunt they are "participating in the hunt", then they have to have a license. Just something to think about...

10-Oct-08
Way to go Caz!!! One convert at a time!!!

10-Oct-08
I truly never thought of that. I'll have to start being more receptive to the idea of taking non hunters out. Good man! (smart getting free pack mule help too )

10-Oct-08
That was great and very generous of you!

10-Oct-08
That's fantastic. Way to go!

10-Oct-08
Pretty sweet story. I was actually converted in a similar manner. My father in law hounded me for a year to go with him. I didn't. But when he came back from camp with a deer i got interested. I ended up going the next year and three years later he told me he never thought i would be a better hunter than him in such a short time.

I have tried to do this since then and have got two people to cross over.

10-Oct-08
Snapcrackpop- That is the worst law I have heard about in quite a while.This thread is a perfect example of why that law sucks.Shame on MN. You guys need to go to your legislators and try to get that changed.If it keeps one kid or non-hunter from getting a chance to enjoy a day afield then that is one too many....

10-Oct-08
I think the idea of that law or the "intent" is to keep unlicensed people from helping in the hunt, like deer drives or kicking pheasents up for the shooter.

But yes, I agree, there should be a legal way for people to get introduced to the sport without getting in trouble.

10-Oct-08
Congratulations Caz! I've taken new hunters out but never a non-hunter. This just made me think of a few opportunities I may have missed the last few years.....

Thanks a bunch!

11-Oct-08
That is not the law in MN. Any act of assistance requires a license but just walking along is not assisting.

11-Oct-08

ElkNut1's Link
Caz, great story & great outcome, it couldn't have been scripted any better!! You have a friend for life there! (grin)

ElkNut1

11-Oct-08
Awesome story. Thank you. Nick

11-Oct-08
Awesome story. Thank you. Nick

12-Oct-08
Way to go Caz! Nuff Said!!!!!!!

12-Oct-08
Caz - you still shooting the compound or back to recurves? Reason I ask is I was wondering if you let the guy shoot your bow and if so how he enjoyed that?

great deal too .... very cool story

12-Oct-08
With more stories like this, maybe the anti's will come up with a new slogan..."If you can't beat them. join them."

Great job, Caz!

12-Oct-08
can you take me next year???? PLEASE

15-Oct-08
Thanks guys, it was pretty darn fun. I just got back from taking a childhood friend on his first elk hunt albeit a rifle hunt, but he got to experience elk hunting. Here he is being helped "Get up". I think we as elk hunters can relate to this. He was a long ways from home and his whitetails enjoying Colorado. Pretty remarkable five days and I'm sore as they come.

30-Nov-08
Best story posted all year, maybe ever...

03-Dec-08
most folks dont understand our passion for bowhunting. I think its our human nature to be hunters. Thats great you introduced a man into a element of the the outdoors..louis

03-Sep-09
I thought I’d update this thread.

Well, the hunting season is upon us, and the non-hunter turned hunter has been shooting all summer long waiting for the season to come.

I told him we’d go to my elk spot to get things going, and I’d put him in my favorite elk spot. Many elk have met their demise there; he was excited.

To make a long story short, I shot an elk opening night, and we didn’t get back to camp until 3:30 AM. Rob was right there helping me break the elk down in complete darkness with the help of a lantern we packed in. I told him he was my good luck charm since I’ve killed two elk with him the first day out. Fishing has been pretty good with him as well?

He told me he didn’t think he’d be able to get up the next morning after all the packing we did, but low and behold, he was up at 5 going out. He came back to camp with smiles on his face. Evidently, he had two 4x4 bulls walk within 12 yds of him. I told him that was karma for getting out there.

Sadly, the shot just didn’t present itself until they were walking away from him and even though he drew, he felt rushed, and didn’t shoot. You could see he was really enjoying the process of the hunt, and the fact we needed to get close. He told me he really liked hunting in the morning versus the evening due to everything waking up. He mentioned the birds, the grouse, the turkeys, and the scary bears he’d seen. He confided in me that getting close to the animals was the turn on for him with archery. He said it was very exciting.

Prior to opening day, and all summer long, I told him to ensure he stayed within his 25 yd range, and to only take a good broadside shot. I told him it’s a lot easier coming back to camp talking about the elk he’d seen, and the close calls he had, than to hike up and down the mountains looking for an elk that was poorly hit. In other words, I told him you don’t “have” to shoot. You can let them walk. It seemed he was listening.

Well, the third day was his day. I’ll save all the small details, because they are very personal, but he waited for several minutes and got a 12 yd shot on his first big game animal. He told me he couldn’t breath, and every time he tried to hold his breath to calm down, the elk looked right at him, but I guess the choke cherry bushes were more important and once again, he started to feed. He waited, and waited, and finally when he told me he saw everything he needed on the elk to ensure the shot was there, he managed to draw and shoot. I asked was it a good shot? He said “yes.” I asked if he followed up on the trail? He stated “I saw him go down.” I asked how big? He said “six points on one side but I’m not sure on the other.” I said he went down but you didn’t touch him? He said “no, I wanted to come and get you.”

Turns out the elk went 60 yards with a solid double lung shot. Not only did he see it go down, he got to hear the loud crash. I found it a bit funny he was a bit sad that my elk had a bigger body but his had the bigger rack. Once again, at least in my eyes, the guy is on the right track.

03-Sep-09

cazador's embedded Photo
cazador's embedded Photo
Showing him around.

03-Sep-09
Taking a break in a nice area.

03-Sep-09

cazador's embedded Photo
cazador's embedded Photo
His prize

03-Sep-09
Teaching him the gutless method once again.

03-Sep-09

03-Sep-09
Meat care tips when there are tons of flys.

03-Sep-09
Back at the truck, after the always uphill pack.

03-Sep-09
The last sunset of the trip. How ironic the smoke from California (where he's from) was making it a good one.

03-Sep-09
Absolutely fantastic! Beautiful bull....love the dark rack!

03-Sep-09
Great story- we need more people like you caz! Congrats to your buddy on his first bull! WOW! I had to lay down twice after shooting my first- what a great fealing!

03-Sep-09
Good story and good on ya Cazador. This is the kind of stuff that will keep our sport alive.

03-Sep-09
That is the best thread I have read on here. it is so important to give back. And to awaken the outside world of the joys and friendships that are created while out in God's country. Thanks you for sharing and I hope it inspires others to "take a chance" and share the excitment of the woods with others.

03-Sep-09
I didnt think the story could get any better. It just did.

Congratulations. You must feel proud.

GG

03-Sep-09
Caz....you are simply the frickin man!!!!!!!

I loved the thread to the utmost!!!!

your pal.

serb

03-Sep-09
that was great thanks.HUNT

03-Sep-09
You da man, Caz! Him getting his first was probably just as fulfilling as shooting one yourself. Way to go!

03-Sep-09
Holy buckets caz!

If this guy ever forgets how lucky he is to have such a great mentor, you need to leave him at home and take me instead.... ;-)

LOL

03-Sep-09
That's just too cool. Way to go!

03-Sep-09
Very nice... our sport is safe with guys like Caz out there.

03-Sep-09
Simply awesome! Congrats to BOTH of you.

03-Sep-09
Good deal!

03-Sep-09
Can it get any better than this?

You have a lot to be proud of Cazador! Thank you for all that you have done for our heritage.

Highest regards,

Nick

03-Sep-09
THAT made my day! Congrats on a great memory...4finger

03-Sep-09
Chad, awesome! I just had a feeling when we talked last week.....

Congrats to you both on fine elk, and espedcially to you for turning a nonhunter into a hunter. You are da man!!!!!!!!!

Great season for you so far, and more hunting to come.

03-Sep-09
Caz,

I somehow missed this thread the first time. I am glad I didn't this time. Congrats on the bulls (both of you) but, more importantly congrats for getting others involved. Guys like you make this sport great. This is not just a great bowhunting story, it is a great life story. Hats off to you.

03-Sep-09
Cool!

That deserves a bag of fried potato logs on the ride home.

03-Sep-09
Very cool thread, looks like you found a good partner, very hard to find.

03-Sep-09
Caz you have inspired me to try to get the biggest non-hunter I know and get him into the field. I take alot of kids out but to take an adult non-hunter like you have and convert him is the pinnnacle! Great great story and god bless you brother!

03-Sep-09
Freakin awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-Sep-09
Rob is one fortunate guy, not only to have a bud like you but to discover something new that he obviously has had a passion for, just no opportunity til now.

one of the best reads on bowsite

ps: that 2nd pic (backstrap) is awesome, tells the whole story that guys like the "former" Rob would never understand

03-Sep-09
Very inspirational. You did a good thing and it couldn't have turned out any better.

03-Sep-09
Cazador, you are the best. Awesome story.Keep up the good work.

03-Sep-09
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-Sep-09

03-Sep-09
Great job. Hope we all get a chance to teach someone like that.

04-Sep-09
Chad & Rob: Congratulations on the two bulls taken. I have to take my hat off to you for the friendship you showed Rob and the mentoring that brought him to becoming a successfull bowhunter. As someone else mentioned, I bet you were more thrilled to see your buddy connect on his bull, than the taking of your own. Great job "passing it on" ! HH in Pa

04-Sep-09
Cool story Caz. Thanks for sharing, literally.

04-Sep-09
Cazador, tu eres el cazador mas chingon. Great pictures, loved the story. If you ever need someone to help hall your elk out. Give me a call anytime, anywhere, anyplace. Hunters, like you are what makes hunting GREAT!!! Adios

08-Sep-09
Excellent, Caz, excellent! Thanks for the update.

08-Sep-09
Very cool. Sounds like a neat hunting buddy. Congrats to you both.

12-Apr-10
I just found this, for the first time. What a great story. Thanks Caz.

01-Aug-10
I agree. I met a guy in Oregon one time we shared a few spots, and now hunt together. Great story.

02-Aug-10
Cazador, Hope you are well. This is one of my favorite threads on Bowsite. Reading it again almost 2 years later, it is still worth the read. Wishing you and Rob the best of luck this season. May the wind continue to be in your face....................

02-Aug-10

elkmtngear's Link
I'm really glad someone bumped this, it is an awesome story. Best of Luck to both of you this season!

Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

02-Aug-10
awesome story, you'll be that dudes hero for a lifetime.

16-Nov-10

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
I thought I'd update this one last time since I believe Rob is no longer a non-hunter.

The elk season came and went, and although we had some close calls, it just wasn't meant to be. I called in a nice bull to 15-20 yds, but Rob got caught drawing. As Ziek said in another thread, books are great, but you learn from trial an error. Rob was mad at himself and I told him it was a good learning experience.

So, November came, and although Rob hasn't shown the effort as I hoped, he finally got away from family and we got him set up in the whitetail woods. With two stands set, he had good action. On the second night he called me while on stand some minutes away stating he shot a buck, and he was still shaking bad. I told him don't follow up until I get there. He replied " I saw him go down". Well, then, I said, I'll be there soon. Little did I know 20 minutes later I would arrow a great buck and we both ended our 2010 season with two nice bucks 20 minutes apart.

I'm hoping in time he'll be a bit more motivated in the scouting, planning and such that comes with a hunt, but I suppose with three young children, time is very limited. Who knows, maybe I need to get another Rob involved.

Rob's first deer with a bow.

16-Nov-10
what an awesome story. Love it mate cheers benno

17-Nov-10
Sweet. Great story.

17-Nov-10
That's great. Congrats to you and a big pat on the back for turning Rob into a hunter.

17-Nov-10
How did I miss this the first go arounds?

left me with tingle up my leg!

congrats! to both or you!

18-Nov-10
Good Job Man!!! This guy is doing great the way he is. What the he!! will he be like if he gets motivated?? Great Job Again

19-Nov-10
Amazing stories - thanks for sharing and congrats.

• Sitka Gear