ursman 06-Jan-11
Snakeeater 06-Jan-11
Snakeeater 06-Jan-11
BOW-HO 06-Jan-11
>>>---WW----> 06-Jan-11
>>>---WW----> 06-Jan-11
02-Jan-11

THE ELK REAPER's Link
I ran into a guy in the wilderness area that I was hunting this year that had these on his bow. I did not think to much about it at the time, but as luck would have it (bad luck anyway), my partner Jdog lost 3 of his arrows coming down a cliff on that same hunt and I thought that was strangely ironic since this product keeps your arrows from coming out of the quiver.

So I have been screwing around with this product for the last few weeks to see if it would actually be a benefit for my backcountry hunts. It's a pretty slick "set up" and would be worth it's weight in gold when going through thick brush and blow-down. I strap my bow to my pack from time to time as well and this would be an easy way to assure the arrows would not come out of the quiver when you are heading down the trail.

If the Link works, you will see what I'm talking about in the video.

Hope everyone had a great New year!

02-Jan-11
pretty slick setup. looks great for brushy country or long trips with your bow on your back. Nice find brother!

02-Jan-11
One trick I used to do was put a rubber band around the ends of all arrows in the quiver, if one starts to fall out it helps hold it in or clangs against the other arrows and alerts you.

I hate loosing my #1 arrow hiking in brush. I also do not like worrying about removing something from my arrow. Catch 22

02-Jan-11
Good idea...just never had this problem though.

02-Jan-11

02-Jan-11
Get a quiver that comes with a rubber keeper that goes over your arrows, problem solved.

02-Jan-11
That's useful when you are bush whacking in the dark. I like it.

02-Jan-11
I like the quiver that I'm using and the rubber keeper is something that needs to be unstrapped, the way I use this system, I take the arrow out of my quiver like normal and I have no unneeded movement.

It boils down to what works best for each hunter, but I thought you guys would wanna take a look at this, it is the easiest way I have found to insure I won't loose an arrow.

02-Jan-11
Good product- I lost one arrow in Co and Matt lost 2 because of the brush.

02-Jan-11
Duct tape can be pressed inot service in a pinch too.

02-Jan-11
Looks like those cords would catch on brush, I have a terrible time with the cord on my bugle, I have to untangle it from brush all the time if I'm carrying in my hand.

02-Jan-11
Seems to me the dangling cords (that were on any arrows already shot) would be a problem. Who wants "stuff" hanging off their bow?

02-Jan-11

tcosmic's embedded Photo
tcosmic's embedded Photo
I'm all for it,anything to make it safer.You don't need it till you need it.Wish I had one a few years back,when the brush plucked an arrow from my quiver and placed it in the perfect spot for me to step on it and put a three blade through my leg.I'm just glad it did'nt happen out west.

02-Jan-11

tcosmic's embedded Photo
tcosmic's embedded Photo
I'm all for it,anything to make it safer.You don't need it till you need it.Wish I had one a few years back,when the brush plucked an arrow from my quiver and placed it in the perfect spot for me to step on it and put a three blade through my leg.I'm just glad it did'nt happen out west.

02-Jan-11
I guess I do, except the cords hanging off my quiver are not a problem.... That is why I waited a few weeks before I said anything about this system, to make sure that I had no issues with the In-Line before I started a thread.

So if you are not worried about your arrows falling out of your quiver, then don't buy the In-Line, but if you have had this happen to you before, then this is a good product that fixes the issue.

Sometime when you look at a new product, your "cup" should be half full and not half empty:) The good things about this will far outweigh the bad.

02-Jan-11
Pretty cool little trick... I've never had much of an issue, but then again, I have life insurance too and never needed it yet either... until I'll need it! I'll get some and try it!

02-Jan-11
I like it Aron. I hunt an area where i am brush busting 75% of the time so this would help greatly. I do like the fact that you can just remove an arrow normally.

02-Jan-11
You guys really carry more than one arrow.

02-Jan-11
Sarge, I had the same question about the dangling cords. I took all the arrows out of my quiver and shot the bow. The cords barely moved and made absolutely no noise. Of course I wouldn't expect to run into a situation where this would happen. I only usually get two arrows off in the worst case scenario anyway. Check the video on Elkreapers link. You can see the cords barely move. I feel alot better sneakin and peakin knowing my arrows won't come out.

02-Jan-11
I bought some of these for a Sept elk hunt and I am sure they will work great. Being from WI I spend a lot of time in the trees and take my quiver off my bow to hang it behind me. I now can use the nock lines with the knobs to hang my quiver upside down, pop my critter arrow and/or 2nd shot arrow out of the grippers and hold it in place with only the line. This way if I need 1 of the other arrows, I can just reach back with 1 hand, pop the knob off the arrow and be ready to nock the arrow.

They also work great to hold my turkey arrows in place even with the 4" Bullhead blades on them.

03-Jan-11
I was turned on to this product this late fall. After seeing the youtube vid I was smacking myslf in the head wondering why I hadn't thought of this first. Anyone who has hunted in the back country on horseback, or thru thicker swamps and whips has had arrows fall out... nasty examples above. Who hasn't had an arrow fall out pulling their bow up in the dark to their tree stand, or had one pop out when they lowered it in the dark... danger for sure. This is a nice safty measure which cost peanuts compared to replacing your quiver when the gripper gets weak or you change arrow diameter. And talk about the adaptations to the 3 d world when you have a quiver with no rattle anymore... hip back or stool. No worries when you go to pick up the not so perfect shot from behind the target and your other arrows spill out. All kinds of application. Here is a write up I am hoping makes their blog...

I have a unique view of the new Nockline system. My cousin Evan Vergin showed his new archery idea off to me during a stay in his home in Colorado during an elk hunt with my family. Evan knew I was a pro staff member of a number of different archery companies so he wanted me to take a look at his invention and give him my thoughts. First words out of my mouth were”why didn’t I think of this?” So simple but yet something I could have used to save me added trips up and down a tree, back tracking to look for lost arrows or the panic of getting back to elk camp in the dark to find I had no arrows left in my quiver due to a horse that loved to rub the trees in the dark on the ride back. With my back ground in the 3D world, I saw an instant use for keeping the arrows of youngsters in their quivers or keeping mine from rattling in my quiver from target to target. My wife mentioned keeping her arrows with in her quiver as she looked for those arrows that didn’t always find their mark and spilled out when you bent over to regain control of that less than perfect shot. That seems to happen to all of us from time to time. Knowing I had a late season archery tag in my pocket when I got home, I asked Evan if I could get a hold of a set of the” Whitetail series” to use for my coming hunt. After getting home and seeing how easy the Nocklines attached to the quiver, I was just dying to give them a real world test. Didn’t take long and our late season opened with me sneaking out in the pitch black to the stand I hung on the edge of the oak flat. Well to tell you how nice it was to have no worries about any arrows popping out of the quiver in the dark was cool. I am sure everyone has had this happen and the questions of whether you climb back down or leave it till you climb down at the end of your morning/evening hunt always plays a roll. One of the things that Evan points out is the safety factor of if you fall or trip for that matter you’re not going to land on a loose arrow as they are held securely within the quiver. This hunt went without a shot opportunity, but the evening hunt was much different. The wind was bad for most of my evening hung stands, thus the afternoon was put towards sneaking and peeking the oak flats. Again the Nocklines performed flawlessly while sneaking thru the whip stock and hemlock swamps looking for a feeding or bedded whitetail. It was so nice to not have to check to see if all my arrows were still hanging in my quiver every few steps. I came across this area that I had scouted earlier in the fall and it was just tore up with signs of deer feeding. I decided that I had worked my way into this area quietly and the wind was right I would take a ground set and hope for a bit of luck. I set up in a clump of Hemlock shrubs, cleared a couple shooting lanes and got set for the final few hours of light. I popped my quiver off and loosened a second arrow from the gripper but left the Nockline attached to the arrow just in case I needed to move fast. With about a half hour of light left, I heard the crunch, crunch, crunch sound that gets all of us bow hunters excited and the heart beating. First to appear was nice whitetail doe and soon a second. They got through the opening I had set quicker than I was able to get ready… oh well at least I had seen deer and fooled their senses. When here comes a third doe. This time I am up and ready. She stops and feeds right where she is suppose to… how often does that happen? Next thing I know the pin is settling on the spot and the arrow is gone. I see the arrow disappear behind the front leg and she takes off with that tail twitch a bow hunter loves to see. I just grabbed my quiver without thinking and snuck up to the point of the shot. After the first rush of excitement a thought came to me of my loose arrow… right there it was hanging snug in the quiver hood ready for use as the Nockline saved me from having to look around in the twilight for a loose arrow. It is needless to say I will always have a Nockline System on my quivers for any future hunts.

03-Jan-11
Have u looked at the axis 360 quiver?

I've had mine for a number of years now n I don't see anything replacing it for awhile

03-Jan-11
Might as well start off the new year being a wise a##. I wouldn't have to worry about cords hanging affecting my shot because I use a SideWinder hip quiver! 8-)

However, having hanging cords anytime you move could be a problem (hit the animal and am tracking). Do you just wind the cord around the quiver somehow or what?

03-Jan-11
I also use the sidewinder.

It's like a double safety. My arrows are safetly contained in that quiver and on my hip in sight and in hand if need be.

I don't like lost arrows:)

03-Jan-11
No worries really on the cords making trouble at the shot or while moving. It is a bungy system that is about the same size as an 18 strand string without the serving. So you can just piggy back it into the next nock. Also the cord is attatched to the gripper, so the cord runs up the side of the shaft and then over the nock into the throat. It would take a bit of work to get something between the two but I guess not impossible. It also runs to the underside of the shaft so it has some additional protection there. This system isn't for just your bow mounted quiver. It is also able to be set up on most hip quivers as well as with a bit of adaptation all over the shoulder traditional style rigs.

05-Jan-11

Mike the Cheesehead's embedded Photo
I just take a piece of peep sight tubing, tie the ends together and loop it around the quiver to hold my arrows in place.

05-Jan-11

05-Jan-11

I have no idea where that caribou photo came from!

05-Jan-11
Mike- I was going to comment that elk hunting has been hard on you! LOL!

05-Jan-11

Snakeeater's embedded Photo
Snakeeater's embedded Photo
I like the idea of the peep sight tubing around the gripper. I was thinking of the same thing but didn't know where to find a heavy duty rubber band.

As for the In-Line, I think it is a nice idea and many will like it. My first thought though was, "wouldn't a fletching cover provide the same function?" Your arrows can't drop out as long the fletch cover is around them.

05-Jan-11
Cheap SOB tip of the day: flethcing covers can be made out of the upper section of sleeves from worn out LS T-shirts.

05-Jan-11
What about extra arrows?

Do bivy hunters carry a few extra arrows in a tube in their pack? Or do they just keep more in their truck and hike out if needed?

What about spike camp hunters?

05-Jan-11
Snakeeater and Matt, I really like the fletching cover idea. I've got some bright wraps that I would like to camo up. Please give us some ideas on how to build one and attach it to our bows. Thanks! Oops sorry to hijack the thread.

06-Jan-11
I sometimes pack a couple extra arrows in a plastic golf club tube. The tube can serve double duty by wedging it in some rocks in a stream so the water flows through it and makes a nice fountain for collecting water.

06-Jan-11
The beauty of the in-line system is that each arrow is held individually. You don't have to remove a long length of peep tubing to get at one arrow. If your sneaking through the brush the remaining arrows in the quiver can be popped out when you remove the tubing. As for the big bulky fletch cover, it would require removing the cover to get at the arrows. With the in-line system, you grip the arrow shaft, gently pull the arrow out of the broadhead cover. As you move the arrow away from the quiver the in-line cord slips off. No noise, no excess movement. The remaining arrows in your quiver stay safe. I used the nock-lines this fall season in the oak brush and sage of Colorado and the briars and hardwoods of Virginia where I have lost arrows before. Didn't find fault with anything about them.

06-Jan-11
ursman,

If your fletching cover is snug up against the nock end of your arrows then you are right. But, if you have an inch or so space at the bottom then you have room to slide your arrow down so the broadhead clears the quiver cover and you are on your way. It's just a matter of using it correctly. No need to remove it.

Like I said above, the in-line is a neat idea and I'm sure lots of folks like it and will use it. Some folks don't like fletch covers because they act like a sail and move the bow on windy days. To each his (or her) own.

06-Jan-11
deadeye,

A real quick answer so that we don't change the thread direction. To make one is really simple:

1) Find or make a cloth tube long enough to cover your cresting and fletching plus an inch or two for broadhead clearance. Use the sleeve off of some old camo, a colored plastic newspaper bag, or sew or staple some left over fabric.

2) Find a way to afix it to your riser or quiver. Some sew small bungy cords to the top corners of the cover and then attach the cords to the quiver. Others use one of the arrows in their quiver as the attachment point and use a small paper binder clip to hold the fabric onto the arrow. I have also seen a single string from the open end that is then attached to the quiver.

It is a simple idea and lots of ways to do it.

Now back to our previously scheduled program...

06-Jan-11
Yeah, I'm not saying that my peep site tubing is better, but it's cheap and holds the arrows in place pretty well. I've never lost an arrow. Its easy to reach down, pull it off the outer end of the arrow holder and just let it hang off the inner end.

I usually hunt with it disconnected and only hook it across when packing or traveling.

06-Jan-11
I like the idea with the peep sight tubing.

06-Jan-11
Or a big heavy duty rubber-band!!! Good idea Mike.

06-Jan-11
Or a big heavy duty rubber-band!!! Good idea Mike.

• Sitka Gear