TEmbry 31-Jan-17
HUNT MAN 19-Jan-18
'Ike' (Phone) 20-Jan-18
HUNT MAN 01-Dec-22
Treeline 01-Dec-22
30-Sep-14

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
This story starts back in the spring. When a fellow bowsiters said he was heading west for the fall. We both had busy summers leading up to the fall. Me with a great mule deer tag in my pocket and a Baby on the way. Well all the cards lined up and here's are story. Lots of pics so bear with us. HUNT.

30-Sep-14

Trevor had a antelope tag for Wy and I had a MT tag. We both had close calls . But this year the antelope win. On sept 1 Trevor drove to my house. He left his truck here as he was off to Alaska to chase Moose. HUNT

30-Sep-14

Trevor would not get back to MT until the 22nd. That gave me sometime to look over mule deer and find me an elk. Sept 6 opening day found me looking at these 2 bucks. They get the pass. HUNT

30-Sep-14

I spent the first few days of season looking over lots of bucks. Just not the right one. I closed in o a few but didn't trip the trigger. HUNT

30-Sep-14

After opening week i changed gears and it was time to find some elk. Me , Roger , Jim and Boo head in for ten days of battle. The hunting is ok, but LOTS of people around. We have lots of close calls and on the 18th JIm arrows this bull. HUNT

30-Sep-14

After Many close calls and a swing and a miss. we were down to the last evening. When this cow stepped out solo on the trail. i took full advanced of the gift. Shot at 7pm and in the truck by 10 pm. Now i could focus on Getting Trevor and Roger a bull.HUNT

30-Sep-14

Trevor got back from Alaska on the 22nd. I had some work to catch up on. We did some days hunts and got ready for the weeekend. HUNT

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Whenever heading out on hunts each fall, at the conclusion of each you swear it was the best trip yet. This fall was no exception. After getting one of my best friends his first archery antelope in WY, we were brutalized by weather in Alaska. After 9 days of rain and 30-40 mph winds with gusts up around 70-80 mph... we had endured enough. Brad and I flew out early and scrambled together a last second DIY walk in sheep hunt. We had a 9.5 yo 37" ram loaded back in the truck 29 hours later. That's another story all together though. I flew back down to Missoula to spend some time with Hunt next. I can't begin to describe how awesome of a person as well as hunter Hunter is (his parents named him appropriately). We got a morning elk hunt in close by my first morning in town just so I could experience my first bugles. Had a few talking but none willing to work.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Montana being the hunting paradise it is, allowed us to come out and relax mid day and be in the whitetail stand that evening. The deer started pouring out that evening, with 30 deer spotted. A few does passed and no shooter bucks seen, but a great conclusion to my first full day in Montana. I laughed as Hunter said it was somewhat of a slow day for that stand. Coming from the Kentucky Hardwoods and Alabama Pines, I was blown away by the great evening of deer hunting.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
The next morning we woke up at 4am to head to Idaho to freshen up some bear bait stations. At this point, I couldn't really tell if I was still breathing or had actually just died and went to heaven. We came out and began loading our packs for a 3 day weekend bivy hunt for elk, and I had absolutely no clue what I was in store for. My legs had just recovered from the sheep hunt less than a a week ago. I'm glad Hunter didn't warn me of how far of a hike in we had for elk. Roger, Hunter, and I left Friday morning several hours before daylight, worried of the weather forecast that read rain, Rain, and more RAIN. Friday was supposed to be the best day weather wise so we hoped to make the best of it. We pulled in at the trail head and decided to drag a game cart in the first two miles to save on the pack out. 3 miles past the game cart we finally arrived at our spike camp location. A beautiful high alpine lake. The weather was already plummeting in temperature as a solid mist/rain set in on us for the walk up.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Home away from home for the past month. Starting to really like the floor less shelter setup. Stayed dry inside all weekend despite the wettest conditions possible.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Hunter began glassing the avalanche chutes across the lake within minutes of setting up camp. Guy is the energizer bunny of the hunting world, always going, going, going...

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Before venturing out for an evening hunt we hung out in camp for a bit and ate a mountain house... The rain broke for a few hours so we made the most of it and got a fire going.. Staying warm/dry on this trip was a constant battle.

30-Sep-14

The forecast for the weekend was rain . Friday looked to be the best day. We left my house a 4m and parked the truck a little after 9am. We got our gear together and loaded it on the game cart for the 1st 2 miles. This place hold a special place in my heart and i knew Trevor would love it.HUNT

30-Sep-14

We made our way to camp. 5 air miles from the truck. It was raining on and off. We here a bugle at 2 pm and make a move that way. He goes silent and we take a nap. At 4 we head his way. Swirling winds blow him out. I decide we should hike up the other side and glass. Up we go. At the top go to glassing. HUNT

30-Sep-14
Heck yea!!!! This thread rocks! This trip sounds amazing.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Once up on top of the far ridge, we broke out the binos and had a close call with a 5x5 sneaking in silent to a locator bugle. We set down to glass and immediately start seeing bears above timberline. 2 blacks and a chocolate. As we got later in the evening the elk began filtering out as well. There is actually a huge herd bull in the middle of this chute in the pic with several cows sprinkled over the hillside. Good news, there were elk in here. Bad news, they were as far up in the head of the drainage as possible, another mile or two past camp even.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Typical high country meadow... few and far between in this nasty drainage.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
We dropped back down to camp just before dark to not be slipping and sliding everywhere over the rocks. Hit the sack early that night anticipating the next morning... that is until 3 am when an absolute monsoon opened up on us. It had to have rained an inch by 8 am as we slept in late trying to wait out the weather. It broke to a light mist around 9 am and we crawled out to warm by a fire and discuss a plan. If the weather persisted this poorly we may even head out early to try again later. As we warmed by a fire Hunter let out a locator bugle to see if anything was talking... Bingo, big bull sounds off only 3-400 yards from camp!

30-Sep-14
Great thread! Mike

30-Sep-14

We are scrabbling to get our gear together. We do and he is hot. I send Trevor and Roger over the hill. I call he bugles and its getting closer.HUNT

30-Sep-14
Roger and I get up to the edge of a meadow right across from camp and the bull was dropping in too fast for us to make it any further. We have split up about 100 yards but still in sight of each other. I catch a glimpse of the bull moving in through the trees at about 90 yards and he is BIG. Even better, he is heading directly towards Roger. He gets to about 60 yards from Roger (still out of sight from him) and the swirling winds got the best of us. I watch as the low 300s bull turns and makes a dash back up the mountain back into the thick timber. As fast as it started it was all over.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Bummed it didn't work out, the encounter did one good thing... It got us fired up and made us forget all about our weather woes. We decided to hike on up from there into the head of the drainage where we glassed the herd last night. A few hours later we were sitting having a snack listening for elk and a bull sounds off about 6-700 yards up the mountain from us. Game on again. Here is a demolished rub we came across on the hike up, little different than the whitetail woods I'm used to.

30-Sep-14

The bull bugled up top and i had a good idea of where he was at. We head that way. Theres a bench a 100 yards up the hill and i send those guys that way. I tell Roger to cow call when they are ready. Before he does a bugle rings out. I lay in to them cow and calf sound bugles screams and breaking sticks and throwing rocks. I have to move to my left to keep the wind good. I am standing there bugles all around me. When all of a sudden a bloody 5 pnt comes by me on the right and a 6pnt running at ten yards on the left. I can tell they where both hit and bulls are still going nuts. I head up to find the boys. HUNT

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
As Roger and I crested the hill, we split to the left and right. The ridge kind of made a V at that point and we each went down a finger ridge trying to close the gap on the bull before Hunt started calling. As I crept down the left ridge he lets out a bone shaking bugle at less than 50 yards in front of me. Roger and I are now about 100 yards apart and can't see what is happening for the other. My Bull steps out and bugles at 30 yards but I can only see his head. At the same time a 5x5 is slipping down Roger's ridge silently. Both bulls step out and we touch off the releases within seconds of each other. So close in timing that we never even heard the other's shot. Two bulls down with several more screaming everywhere and we each thought the other was still holding a tag. In the excitement I jog to the edge of the ridge where mine practically ran over Hunter and give him a high five in celebration. I can see Rodger now, and he is pinned down by an even bigger 5x5 at 7 steps. I get the camera out just in time to catch his facial expressions.

30-Sep-14
Yahoo Love it and yes, HUNT IS GOOD PEOPLE!

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
As I watch the 5x5 wander off over the hill a bigger 6x6 comes charging down the hill screaming his head off. He comes into 15 yards and puts on a show I will never forget. The whole time I was frustratingly trying to figure out why Rodger didn't even have an arrow knocked as a 5x5 and big 6x6 came in easy bow range. We laughed later as he admitted he was having the same thoughts about me having a camera instead of bow in hand. A bugle at 15 yards is almost enough to need earplugs.

30-Sep-14
Love it fellas!

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
The frenzy of bulls finally subsided. The herd bull remained high and never showed himself. Seven bulls came into bow range of us in about 10 minutes. The fog and rain were constantly picking up so we decided to get on my blood trail before it was washed away. Rodgers bull crashed in 40 yards and was found easily, mine began walking as I touched the release and hit it a tad back, but still went down within 125 yards or so. After years of planning and dreaming, we finally stumbled upon my first bull ever. A beautiful 6x6.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo

30-Sep-14

I was so pumped up. We had not only made i happen on one bull , but had killed two. We ad are work cut out for us. After pics me and Roger go on auto pilot breaking down the bulls. It was the 4th elk in a week we had packed out. I was smiling ear to ear. This is what its all about to me. Good times and good friends. HUNT

30-Sep-14

Me and Roger with his bull. They don't go far when hit here. HUNT

30-Sep-14
Awesome thread guys! Love the pics and story... Gettm it done as usual.

30-Sep-14
Good stuff! Congrats guys and thanks for the story

30-Sep-14
Awesome story guys! Congratulations on your bulls.

30-Sep-14
Dayum! Outstanding..Way to get 'em on 'em Hunt!

30-Sep-14
Awesome guys! Congrats to all. Looked like a hell of a hunt!

30-Sep-14
Nice work guys! Congratulations on some great bulls!

30-Sep-14
Awesome!!! Congrats on some fine bulls!!

30-Sep-14
Awesome! Sweet pics and story. Can always rely on hunter for amazing threads

30-Sep-14
Awesome story guys!

30-Sep-14
Talk about the "mother load" congrats!!!

30-Sep-14
Now THAT's a good time with your friends!

Man, what a dream hunt

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
As the excitement tapered off slightly and the rain picked up.... the realization of the task ahead set in. "We're Screwed" as Hunter put it. haha We decided that if we got the Bulls the 1.5 miles back to camp by dark that would be good enough for Saturday. We started cutting up my bull at 1 pm and had it completely broken down and ready to pack in less than an hour. I began shuttling my bull down the steep slide he died in as they began butchering Rogers bull. Timing wise we got the bulls to a trail at the base of the mountain by 4. Still another mile to camp and the rain was just getting worse. Thoroughly soaked we loaded up the 3 heaviest game bags and Rogers head, leaving two game bags and my head behind. Once at camp Roger stayed to get the meat situated and get a fire going. Me and Hunt returned up the hill to get the last two loads of meat and my head. We got back down to spike camp just as darkness was setting in.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Rog and Hunt have breaking down an elk to a science... Hunt and I broke the bull down into quarters as Roger went to town separating the muscles out and boning it out for the game bags.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Cool picture of the lake socked in by the thick fog and light rain... Weather never broke until we were back in the comforts of the truck. Figures.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Once to spike camp we crashed for the night trying to rest up for the next day's pack out. After a mountain house feast that is. In the excitement of the morning bugle we ran off hunting and I forgot my food bag. After a lonnnng day of hiking and packing with only a granola bar for breakfast I was starving. We did however celebrate with a big fire before tucking in for the night. Two more visitors in camp this time.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Typical hillside in the elk woods. Makes for tough footing while butchering a 700+ lb animal.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
We slept in until around 830 Sunday morning... Did some packing and got to hiking. The first 3 mile shuttle to the game cart we took Rogers whole elk and two quarters of my bull, about half of camp, Rogers head, and my bow. Heavy packs got to be such the norm you felt as if walking in zero gravity when we finally dumped the loads. Went back up to camp, got the other two game bags, my head, rogers bow, and the rest of camp. 3 more heavy miles and everything was finally to the cart. 1.5 hrs of dragging and we finally spotted the truck. Completely drenched and barely able to walk by this point. Still loving every minute of it.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo

30-Sep-14
Wow!!! Looks like the hunt of a lifetime. Congrats to you all.

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Safe to say we established the weight limit of these game carts... and it is FAR less than two full bull elk...

30-Sep-14

we found this in the woods. Anyone know what it is or goes to. HUNT

30-Sep-14

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
And the reason we hit the hills every fall. Several hundred pounds of the finest meat on God's green earth... Now that they are completely butchered and in the freezer, we can officially close the book on our Elk Season for 2014. It goes without saying, but Hunt made my life one million times easier for my first western elk hunt. Made some friends for life in my first week in Montana for sure. Can't wait to pay it back in a few short years. Good luck to everyone else this fall, and shoot straight. Still have Wyoming Antelope, Montana Deer, Idaho Bears, and possibly Arizona Deer to chase this fall. Non stop pursuit!

30-Sep-14
Very nice guys. You guys are machines. Thanks for sharing.

May be a silly question ... but ... what kind of boots are either one of you wearing? Are you also wearing gaitors? Just curious with the terrain and degree of the slope (sidehill, etc.).

30-Sep-14
Hunt has Kenetreks, I am rocking Lowa Tibets this year... Gaiters were a must in this weather... Already a wet drainage to begin with, coupled with several creek crossings and you'd be severely screwed without them. I wore Kuiu gaiters which worked perfectly. My feet finally got damp the last day, but in this weather with soaking wet clothes it's to be expected to wick down into your boots eventually.

30-Sep-14

Kenetreks for me and roger . Tibets for Trevor. Good boots are a must on a hunt like this. HUNT

30-Sep-14

Kenetreks for me and roger . Tibets for Trevor. Good boots are a must on a hunt like this. HUNT

30-Sep-14
That looks like a blast you guys, congrats! Makes me want to jump in the car and head to the elk woods!

30-Sep-14
I had the wettest elk hunt I've ever had this year and it wasn't that bad. Lesson learned....I will NEVER go to elk camp without gaiters again.

Great hunt story guys! Thanks for sharing!

30-Sep-14
Congrats boys on one hell of a hunt!

30-Sep-14
Great hunt and trophies! Thanks for sharing.

30-Sep-14
Absolutely fantastic story and hunt.

30-Sep-14
Awesome!! Way to go, guys. Got a love the double up on bulls!!

30-Sep-14
Great hunt!

I just want to know why you ate a Mountain House feast instead of elk on the last night...

30-Sep-14
You guys Rock! Congratulations.

30-Sep-14
My goodness, this was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!! There are some real deal guys out there and on this site. I flippin' love it!!!!!!!!!! Love it man!!!!!!!!!! Great hunt, great story, great companions. My goodness, this a great example of livin' right. Congrats to you all. God Bless fellas

30-Sep-14
I went with the asolo 95's for boots this year. I was hoping the Cordura would breathe a bit better than the leather gortex boots, but it was so hot that my feet sweated like crazy.

And I never had a chance to test their water proof ability.

30-Sep-14
Best thread ever.

30-Sep-14
Awesome guys!!! Thanks for sharing.

30-Sep-14
Truly living the dream!

30-Sep-14
You guys are tough as cat crap with hair in it!!! That is the very reason I didn't want to go with y'all...I would have been a ball n chain. Maybe after a full year if training???

Congrats!!! Great thread!!

01-Oct-14
Wow Hunter, your threads are one of the yearly highlights on the Bowsite. Once again, thank you for sharing and congratulations to all of your hunting party.

01-Oct-14
"we found this in the woods. Anyone know what it is or goes to. HUNT"

That is the brake lights wiring harness for a B-52

01-Oct-14
Great hunt, congrats!

01-Oct-14
I just keep reading this thread...wishing I could have been there... Damn you guys, incredible!

BUT!!! I seriously, expected nothing less. Awesome, congrats again!

01-Oct-14
Thanks for sharing this adventure. HUNT- it is awesome you are so willing to help others. Best of luck on the Muley.

Tembry- Awesome bull. Sounds like after the last couple weeks you need a good nights sleep in a real bed!

01-Oct-14
INCREDIBLE!!! As good as it gets!

01-Oct-14
Great story and congrats to all

01-Oct-14
Always enjoy your recaps, Hunt. Thanks for posting another great trip with cool accompanying pics. Congrats to all!

01-Oct-14
GREAT thread guys! Roger- I doubt you see this as I'm not even sure you own a cellphone, great job!

Trevor- You're spoiled now, friend. Great shooting and Congrats

Hunt- Kudos to you for taking the time to give Trev the experience of a lifetime. Hoping for some great Karma for you on the bucks now.

01-Oct-14
"we found this in the woods. Anyone know what it is or goes to. HUNT "

It was left over from one of my vehicle repair jobs,,, I tossed it because project didn't need it.

Awesome story and thanks for bringing it to Bowsite. Thanks for what you do for fellow hunters.

01-Oct-14
Excellent story, Gentlemen! And a happy ending!

Best of luck, Jeff

01-Oct-14
Excellent thread!! Thanks for posting. That is how it is supposed to happen! You guys almost make it look easy, but we all know it is not. Good job guys!!!

01-Oct-14
Great thread, congrats on your success!

01-Oct-14
Great hunt recap with a fabulous ending. Congratulations on getting it done...you earned it.

01-Oct-14
Great thread and Grats!

That meat pic makes my guts ache.

02-Oct-14
Hey Hunt, A Huge Congrats on an amazing hunt! Good Luck with your deer tag. MO

02-Oct-14
Holy Cats! Congrats!!!

Mark

02-Oct-14
Congrats guys! Great thread, nice to see somebody do well! Mike

02-Oct-14
Greta thread! Congrats!!!!

02-Oct-14
just had to read this twice in 30 minutes!!

Mark

02-Oct-14
Amazing hunt! Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. I love the picture of the bull bulging at the camera...priceless!

BP

02-Oct-14
Amazing hunt congrats! I am very jealous! Keep those friends of yours close they are very hard to find like that!

On a side note... what kind of shelter/tarp is that you used? looks like a good design with plenty of room

03-Oct-14

Thanks guys for all the kind words. Bowsite is truly a Brotherhood. Best of luck to all this season. Aim small miss small. HUNT

03-Oct-14
That's a Kifaru Supertarp Kyle. Big enough for two, but really more suited for one plus gear. Weighs less than 2 lbs with all the stakes and guy out lines included. First time I've used it in super wet conditions and was impressed. Definitely takes some adjusting to get used to vs a traditional tent.

Thanks to everyone else for your congratulations. I'm still on cloud nine and don't plan on coming down for a while yet!

03-Oct-14
Great story!!!! Thanks for sharing:-)

03-Oct-14
Good on ya' fellas! Great first bull Trevor! Congrats all the way around......

04-Oct-14
Quick question for ya for my future elk pursuits as i just moved to idaho...How high up were the elk when they had you surrounded and you got your action? Heads of drainages are not low lol

I also had a montana tag this year and We had them all between 6600 and 7100 the second week in Sept. but I was hunting the weekend of Sept. 27 & 28 in the rain and the elk had seemed to have completely moved and with only really the sunday morning hunt to work with, I couldn't change camp to find them.

04-Oct-14
Wicked thread, hunt and photos! Thanks for sharing a dream elk hunt, way to go boys!

05-Oct-14
nice going !

06-Oct-14
ndbuck09. These elk where as high in the drainage as they could be. Over 9000 feet

07-Oct-14
Awesome Story!!

07-Oct-14
Great story and photographs. Thanks for sharing. Nice trophies.

07-Oct-14
Well told guys! Congrats on an awesome hunt!

09-Oct-14
Outstanding hunt guys! HUGE congrats a a job well done and a great attitude through all of the hard work!

09-Oct-14
Congrats all great post thanks for sharing Lewis

09-Oct-14
Great story and superior pictures! Nice job and you earned it! Love it when hard work makes things happen!

10-Oct-14
awesome pics and story

the pic looks like rear brake light harness

01-Jan-15
The best and worst thread made me bring this one to the top.

This hunt made my year. Thanks again guys. Best of luck in 2015. HUNT

02-Jan-15
This is a GREAT thread, thanks for bringing it back up....

02-Jan-15
Thanks for sharing...great job.

02-Jan-15
Best hunting story I've ever read. God Bless

03-Jan-16
Man cabin fever is in full swing and this thread makes me wish it was September already ! Hunt

03-Jan-16
This was an awesome post. I can't believe I missed it! Congrats!

03-Jan-16
Thanks for bringing this back to the top !! Great read ;)

08-Jan-16
Awesome story Congrats!!

30-Jan-17
Here you go Wayne! Enjoy your turn soon!! Hunt

30-Jan-17
Damn fine hunt fellas,,, y'all were bonified badasses...Great thread!!!!! One one the best....

31-Jan-17
Man what a classic trip. I'll never forget this weekend for as long as I live. Can't wait for Kodiak 2017 Hunt.

19-Jan-18
This was a good one T. Can’t wait for the next adventure.

Like Charlie says . Go now life is Short. Hunt

20-Jan-18
Was waiting for this, awesome...

01-Dec-22
One more. This one always makes me smile.

01-Dec-22
Definately!

• Sitka Gear