OFFHNTN 14-Apr-17
BULELK1 16-Apr-17
SBH 16-Apr-17
Deafbowhunter 16-Apr-17
jordanathome 29-Aug-17
02-Oct-16

grossklw's embedded Photo
Below is the story of my 2016 Archery Elk Hunt with as many pics as I think is reasonable to conclude. I'll my best to get it done maybe not today, but I promise it won't drag for several weeks.

Back to 2014 during my last year of graduate school I spoke with my cousin who lives in Wyoming(yes he helped some with getting started in a location, I'm not going to ignore a good local source). And myself, my brother in law Mitchell, my uncle doug, and my Dad all agreed to put in for points and draw a general tag in two years with an GEN tag.

Two years came and went and I spent as much time as humanly possible this summer either researching, shooting, or doing some more researching as well as how to hunt elk.

There is a shameless plug for elk101's online course, but they are a sponsor and am happy to promote them because I truly do believe they were the difference in me coming home with antlers in back or no antlers (hint hint). I read through the course about 6-8 hundred times to come up with a plan of attack once we got out there. The distant scouting came in handy, and helped us get into elk on several occasions and know what to do with them when we did get into them.

The area my cousin was sending us had lighter hunting pressure, but the trade-off it was some ungodly steep country and not for the faint of heart, I was sold.

We left on September 2nd after work, plan was stay at my uncles in Eastern SD after leaving from western WI, a 5 hour drive. On Saturday the 3rd we drove the 12ish hours to my cousin's house in Lander, then on Sunday with ambition we were ready to head to the hunt area which was another couple hour drive Sunday morning.

I'm all smiles, first time elk hunting, lovely weather, and had no idea what it meant when a local tells you that an area has light hunting pressure, but brutal terrain, ignorance is bliss.

02-Oct-16

Also for forgot to mention a huge thanks to cheesehead mike, I contacted him early, he sent me a bunch of ideas for what I need for clothing/calls etc. What I can skimp money on, what I can't, he even let me buy him a beer and a burger before I left ;)

First afternoon was fantastic, we heard what sounded like a young bull on our way in to set up camp bugling (first time my ears had ever heard it), and this was at 1:00, I thought this is going to be great. Our original spot we were planning on setting up camp already had a tent in it, damn, oh well it's big drainage and other areas to hunt. We moved a few hundred yards, ended up chatting with them and they stated elk have been getting more active, and they were planning on taking off the next morning and we were welcome to their camp-spot, sounds good to me.

Mitchell and I headed up the mountain in pursuit of our first bull. Our first time at this elevation, we quickly realized we were in flat-land shape, but this sh** is steep. I ran/packed/lifted like crazy this summer, and was as prepared as I could have been, and good god I was worried I was in trouble. I'm a physical therapist by trade so I keep in good shape regardless, but this was a different animal all together.

We stopped on a bench where we had marked as a bedding area and started just some cold calling. Instantly a bull fired up less than 100 yards away!! I was the shooter, so I moved in a little bit closer, Mitchell gave some light cow calls and he answered again, this time he interrupted him with a challenge. I could hear him tearing apart some small saplings and could see movement headed my way. I had a nice opening at about 30 yards and could see legs moving towards it. I drew, not knowing what it was and out steps what looked like a yearling cow, the first wild elk I'd ever seen. I smiled as I zoned in on her vitals and thought to myself, next week you're in trouble. I had two weeks of hunting left and my plan was any bull, and after the first week any elk. We bugled back and forth with the bull for another 1/2 hour, but he didn't want to leave his cows. Looking back we probably should've gotten more aggressive, but this was literally the first time I'd ever hunted these things, mistakes were going to happen.

We chalked day 1 as a success and headed down the mountain excited for the morning, we thought that was easy we should be into elk everyday with as much action as we had (we were wrong).

02-Oct-16

02-Oct-16

Our first full day couldn't have been more opposite, we slowly moved up to the bench where we had the encounter the day before, and not a bugle to be heard, damn. PM that day it was more of the same, a couple of faint bugles, but nothing we could really get into range. As we were still-hunting our way down the mountain, my bro whispers, DON'T MOVE, he's right there...My heart started pumping, Mitchell could see a nice 6 point 80ish yards down the hill, thing was thermals were right down the hill, make that major mistake #2 on the week. We attempted to get ahead of where he was walking, looking back Mitchell should have just tried to still hunt to 60 yards as this bull was calm still. We busted him out and all I saw or heard was antlers running through the hillside. My cousin was guiding my dad and uncle (No we were not hunting wilderness areas, everything was legal)and my bro in law and myself were hunting together.

Day 2 Mitchell and I heard some faint bugling, chased across a giant ravine, only to realize one was bugling his head off where we had started our morning, several 1000 ft climb's later we were no closer to killing an elk. We were going to hunt all-day for sure this day as they appeared to be active at least. We took a longer trail to get to another bench that had looked promising from aerials as well as on topo maps. Ended up glassing the other ravine and saw a nice 5 point that we would've been happy with, just feeding in a medow. We both realized we needed to hunt smarter and quit walking around with no plan in place, we were wasting calories as well as blowing elk out. No bugles were heard that night. We got back to camp and my uncle did have a bull at 60 yards bugling and ornry, but a quick wind shift took care of that.

02-Oct-16

Day 3 was eventful to say the least, my cousin needed to get going, but he was going to guide Mitchell and myself in the morning. We literally did not hear a bugle, but we did glass a large group of cows and 4 different bulls (one was an easy 6 point), moving to the same bedding area we were the previous day where I did see a cow. While we were sitting glassing all of a sudden everything around us broke loose and a cow went sprinting through an opening at 40 yards, we both had arrows nocked at this point. A raghorn went sprinting through our only shooting lane so a shot was not possible, and then her poor calf came sprinting right after the raghorn just trying to keep up with the madness.

That afternoon we got moved into the area where I thought we were going to have a chance at one of those bulls, I was up to shoot, and Mitchell was the caller. We did some light cow calling and got an immediate response, but 150' lower in elevation than where we were set up. I snuck back to Mitchell and we both agreed we needed to drop down further, wind was actually consistent for once, with thermals going straight up. We got down to his elevation set up within 150 yards, did some cow calling and got another response. Mitchell interrupted him with a challenge bugle , and this went on for 3 different sequences for about 20 mins. All was quiet and I was debating if we should move across the shelf when all of a sudden I picked up antlers at 45 yards, I had one decent opening at 40 yards and readied for the shot...

What happened next was the stuff of dreams...or I mean nightmares. I drew, stopped him with a nervous grunt, put my 40 yard pin a hair high and slowly squeezed the release. I felt great, relaxed, not rushed. In my head I watched as my arrow sliced through his vitals, but in reality my arrow hit about 4 feet short and was no where near where I was aiming...God da*%#$. I replayed it in my head 100 times, I was relaxed, I was calm, there is no way I should've missed, something has to be wrong. Mitchell let me have my adult temper-tantrum throwing everything unimportant. I thought something had to have went wrong, but that answer didn't reveal itself until the next morning.

To say I was distraught was an understatement, 2 years in the making and I completely blow it on not just a bull, but a for sure pope and young animal; you've got to be kidding me.

Only thing that saved me that day is I did get to call for Mitchell 20 minutes after and had a bull screaming at 60-80 yards, but he wouldn't cross a small drainage and leave his cows, but an awesome close experience none the less.

This is a pic of me just pondering my thoughts and wondering what the hell went wrong.

02-Oct-16

Day 4 We need a change, let's switch up hunting partner's and make something happen, morning produced more of the same quiet bulls and not much going on. That afternoon I took my dad out, and he kindly reminded me that I was 30 years younger than him so I better keep it easy on him, no prob :)

We were glassing a different ravine and BOOM, bugle about 100 yards away, I was still frustrated from the miss so I told Dad you're shooting, not me. Warning he was hunting with a crossbow, so shield your eyes if you must. We went back and forth with bull #1 of the night and I could see antlers moving our way, should end up being a nice 30 yard shot for my dad. And around that time lady luck shifted the wind and ended that hunt, but we had 2 other bulls going at it in a giant bull, but we were going to have to drop down into some awful sh*^ to make it happen. We went sprinting down off of the ravine to get to the two bulls bugling. 1/2 down I look at my dad who still has his glassing clothes on and is soaked in sweat, I slyly asked him,"You look cold, do you want to burrow my jacket" I got a smack in the back of the head and directions to keep getting closer to them smarta#$. We got within 100 yards a couple different times but they just kept moving further and further away, we ran out of light and snuck back out to camp.

This is him coming up the hill the first time, kinda steep if you ask me.

02-Oct-16

Day 5 More quiet bulls in the morning and afternoon, but in the morning as I was snapping an arrow back into my quiver I noticed my sight move ever so slightly. A quick grasp and wiggle of my sight and the miss revealed itself, 3/4 inch of movement with just my hand. Nice one genius, 2 years of planning and didn't think to tighten your sight??? Excellent planning on my part.

Hiked back out tho the truck, tightened the sight, put a string on an old log at 50 yards the size of a quarter and grabbed my backup arrow. Split the string in 2, and now I have my answer. that afternoon was more quiet bulls, nobody in camp heard a bugle, the decision was made everyone was going to either sit a medow or wallow the entire next day. I wasn't wild about it, but they weren't bugling, not much else I thought we could do.

02-Oct-16

Day 6: We all moved to our wallows, I sat and heard a bugle about 200 yards above me...screw this I can sit and whitetail hunt at home, I want to chase these stupid things around. Thermals were actually consistent for once, great I can get close to this big boy. I got to about 75 yards away, found a couple nice openings he would have to commit through and interrupted him immediately. I can hear him coming, 80,70,60 yards, opening at 45, but he stops. He bugles at me, I muster up a challenge without the bugle tube as I have my bow and am close to full-draw. He spends some time raking trees, but would never close the distance. I chase him 3-400 yards but it's a no go, I leave him bed for the day and will move close later again. By this point it's 8:15 and I hear two bulls bugling back and forth quite a distance where I was originally standing, screw it I can go over there. It's an north facing slope, and bulls are bugling, I'm headed over there.

Worked out great because the one I was answer would answer the bull working the opposite ravine so I got a pretty good idea where he was. I walked up to this drainage you see here, but was another 100' up in elevation from the picture point. I debated, do I cross? Or do I set up here and call, he can't be further than 100 or so yards right now but he's been quiet for about 15 mins so there is no for sure way to know.

02-Oct-16

At this point of pondering all of a sudden a bull begins to bugle, instantly I unsnap an arrow and get it nocked, before he's even done bugling he walks to the edge of this drainage right around the downed log.

I started ranging different spots where he might walk to, 40, 55, 45, all makeable shots. I had a giant tree right in front of me, and could just see his butt sticking out the back of it, leaned to the left, huh, he's drinking, and calm, and not that far away.

I quickly range his butt (he can not see me at all at this point), 49 yards. I can make this shot, shooting 4" groups at 60 all summer with broadheads. I look to my right and see an open spot to step to, so I slid to my right just a hair. Still can't see his head, doesn't matter he's a bull and I'm shooting him, but vitals were WIDE open.

I draw, settle my 50 yard pin 1/3 way up, take two deep breaths and begin to slowly squeeze. The arrow releases and it sounded good, like through a watermellon. I don't have lighted nocks and I'm color-blind, very rarely do I see precisely where I hit, no matter how bright my arrows are. Couldn't get decent groupings with nok-turnal's before I left so they stayed home.

02-Oct-16

He runs over the top of the ridge, I instantly cow called at him and I hear him stop. I can't see him, but then I hear what is the sweetest sounding crash my ears have ever come upon (It's a LOT louder than a whitetail). As I do with all my shot I wait at least 15 minutes, as I said earlier I'm color-blind and usually have a tough time knowing where I hit (settle down, last 10 years I've yet to wound one and not find them within 80 yards).

I go down to where he was standing after what seemed like an eternity, no arrow, no obvious blood (I rub leaves on my hands and see if it looks reddish), damnit. Go back to where I shot, looking in the wrong spot dumby. Go to where he was standing and I find my arrow sticking 6" into the ground and it looks good.

I sneak over the top of the hill and I see this at last point I heard him, only 30 yards from where he was standing at the initial shot.

02-Oct-16

My heart starts racing, and holy sh*& I got one...(sarcasm alert) I mean ya absolutely I got one, I knew it was going to happen. The slick trick viper trick 125's had a nice complete pass-through and a 30 yard track job, couldn't have asked for any better.

I grab his antlers and quickly realize he's not just an average bull (for me remember), he's a really really nice bull, a 6X6, not by much but he is a 6X6.

02-Oct-16

Next I realize, holy crap these things are huge. Everyone tells me they're big, but they're really really big. I realize I'm going to have a 3 mile 1000 ft in elevation death march back to camp, followed by an easier 2.5 mile hike back to the truck. I don't care I've got a bull.

Of course is the day we decide to split up, but the plan was to check in at 10:00, bull dead at 9:30, found him at 9:45, I get on the radio and call my bro-in-law. I just let out a loud manly girlish squeele, his response is I bet you need help then huh?

My dad was fortunate and decided he was going to hike out and get small case of beer to improve camp morale, and he was leaving camp at 10:00, needless to say we didn't catch him and he was gone already.

My dad isn't one to get sentimental or anything, but you could tell he felt poorly that I had missed, I can honestly say he didn't care less if he shot one, but he damn sure wanted me to get one, I just left him a note for when he came back.

02-Oct-16

Then the real work started, I got the ok from Mrs. with our lofted ceilings if I shot a 6X6 I was to cape it out as it will be getting a shoulder mount, fine with me.

Pictured is my brother-in-law caping while I worked on straps and shoulder meat.

I didn't start cutting right after I shot him as I wanted decent pictures, I knew where he was, and I wanted someone else to take them, temp's were fine to leave him for an hour and a half until I got back.

02-Oct-16

Shot entered about perfectly on the backside of the V and exited low, guessing right through the heart.

We got quartered, deboned, and everything packed ready to go. I put way too much in my pack the first trip, lesson learned. I started happy.

02-Oct-16

Here is just a funnier pic of Mitchell taking pics of my uncle and myself attempting to take a break, I'm hunched over and he's sitting down, turns out elk are heavy.

Obviously a crappy cellphone pic, but I'm glad I packed a decent camera for the other ones.

02-Oct-16

We got back to camp, Dad was waiting and very excited when I got back and was more than willing to go get the last load of burger and cape with me. I was at my end point, exhausted would be an understatement, but I had my elk back to camp. We hung bags of meat, it was 20's at night, and we would hunt the am and bring everything else back to the truck and coolers in the AM, that way everything was nice and cold before going into the truck too.

02-Oct-16

Day 7 AM found no bugling bulls, hot temps, and a full moon. We decided to take the afternoon off and go into town and watch the Packer game (we hoped). Luckily Packers won, had a little fun sending my wife a pic, and was nice to have pizza and a beer instead of ramen.

02-Oct-16

Unfortunately it gets relatively anticlimatic from there. We dealt with quite a few days of quite bulls, full moons, and lots of bugling at night. We did end up having one more exceptional night, but it did not result in an arrow lost. We also had some snow/wind a few different nights.

At least Mitchell is in good spirits during the snow, I'm doing everything I can to get him a bull.

02-Oct-16

Our original plan was to leave the 2nd Saturday, but with my dad being a farmer I promised him if bulls weren't real active I would try and get out a day or two early so he can going on his beans.

Last afternoon we heard 2 bulls bugling in the same spot I missed the 1st week, Mitchell and I were in. We got to 70 yards, and it's difficult to describe what happened next. We had 3 bulls bugling within 75 yards, could see legs, but none presented a shot despite only being 20 yards from Mitchell at one point. I had a raghorn in my lap of course that I could've shot, I needed Mitchell's attention, but wasn't possible. I saw tall tines moving in as well form only 50 yards away, headed right for Mitchell, but of course the wind switched yet again.

This is my little set-up, was tough to find a stick to rake as we had got pounded with rain and snow.

02-Oct-16

Next AM was as quiet as it has been, despite there being some nice fresh snow on the ground, but they just flat out were not talking. A ton of good sign everywhere, but nothing to show vocally.

02-Oct-16

We decided it was time to head out and get back to reality unfortunately, cheesehead came into the same area a couple days later and also mentioned how steep it was.

My hike out was a happy one, antlers, and only 3 hours from a shower :)

02-Oct-16

The group on our last day before we decided to head out, pretty awesome views from camp, wish there were more than one antler set, but I'm happy.

02-Oct-16

For those of you wondering, yes we did get a nice head start from my cousin. But we did a ton of scouting before-hand which resulted in close encounters and we worked our tails off. Mike thanked us for the location tips and bugling bulls, but then promptly reminded me he's going to kick my a&% for sending him into such a god-forsaken country.

We ended up with 280 pounds of boned out meat, myself and taxidermist scored him at a gross 276", and a NET 267", which would put him at the minimum 260 score Pope and Young, very excited with him.

Sorry it got a little wordy, thanks for tagging along and I can't wait to get back to WY.

Please don't PM me with where we were hunting, I'm willing to help anyone else if they have questions with planning, but my assistance stops at location; as it does with most people, it was a general tag.

02-Oct-16
Really great story. I have a son named Luke and he and I are chasing Mountain lions together in January. Hope our story ends the same way. Keep the wind in your face. Gary

02-Oct-16
Very nice. Congrats on your first of many

02-Oct-16
Way to go!! Congrats! I see the Chuckler Bugle there! (grin)

ElkNut1

02-Oct-16
Thanks for sharing. Nice bull and awesome write up.

02-Oct-16
Good job. Congrats on your hunt. Thanks for the recap too.

02-Oct-16
Congrats on your first bull !

02-Oct-16
Awesome! Congrats on your first bull, he's a good one!

02-Oct-16
Way to go man, thanks for taking us along!

02-Oct-16
Indeed it is the elknut chuckler. Sounds fantastic, or at least it does to my ears. Does echo really nicely through the ravines. If anyone sees anything in my story that you would've done differently please let me know and everyone can discuss. I killed a bull but am thirsty for more knowledge so we come back with more than one next time!!

02-Oct-16
Great job to all of you. I'm sure it was that much sweeter having family along for the trip. Congrats!

02-Oct-16
I didn't get to finish reading it yet. But I'm enjoying it so far. Thank for sharing. .Ed

03-Oct-16
Very well written.

Thanks for sharing

I love hunting Wyo--bow elk!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

03-Oct-16
Great word and not at all 'wordy'...captures all the elements of your hunt

BTW Is that a Hoyt Faktor? I shoot a Faktor 34 [125 Slick Trick Magnums]..I've yet to get in to elk country myself, but I'm taking your success with the same bow and same make of BHs as a good sign!!

03-Oct-16
Congrats and thanks for sharing your story and photos!

03-Oct-16
It is indeed a Hoyt Faktor, buts it's a 30 and not a 34. I wish I would've went with a little longer axle bow but I'm happy with it. I like the viper tricks as they're not quite as a steep angle as the magnums, but it's hard to go wrong with a slick trick.

03-Oct-16
Great story of a great time. Nice work. Heck of a bull!

03-Oct-16
Congrats on the big bull and thanks for sharing!

03-Oct-16
Congrats on your first elk! Great story thanks for sharing.

03-Oct-16
Great story and pic's Luke, congrats again!

03-Oct-16
I love reading stories of guys coming from out east to elk hunt and being successful. Great write up and congrats on your elk!

03-Oct-16
Congrats!

03-Oct-16
Awesome story!! I too went on my first elk hunt this fall and it nearly killed me! Ant wait to get back

03-Oct-16
Congrats on your first elk!

03-Oct-16
Very nice write up and a big congrats on your first elk! Even better that you got to share the experience with family as well!

04-Oct-16
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

04-Oct-16
Congrats !

04-Oct-16
Great read, and a well-deserved congratulations!!! :)

04-Oct-16
I liked that a lot. Nice. Paul

04-Oct-16
Congrats. It sounds like you had a great time.

How'd you like that ILBE Marine pack?

05-Oct-16
For the price it was tough to beat, was able to pack everything I needed to with many straps to spare as well as get the weight tight to my back. It's obviously a lot heavier than a lot of the higher end Kuiu or Kifaru packs, but also about 1/8th the price. It carried a little bit more weight on my shoulders than I would've liked, but that could have been just not being educated on how to fit it decent? I had the belt about as snug as could be.

On my death-march out with a ton of weight I was struggling, but in my opinion even at the time the extra comfort wasn't worth an extra 400$'s.

Glad everyone likes the story, I may do a more finalized edited version of it somehow and see if I can get it published somewhere for giggles.

05-Oct-16
It's as good as an internal frame gets. elkstabber has shaved his down to about 5 pounds or so. So, stock, they give up some weight but, trimmed down, they aren't any heavier than any other 5500 cubic inch pack. With no external frame for proper load lifters, you are going to carry more weight on the shoulders using the internal frames versus the external frames. But, you are right, they can't be beat for the money or, any other internal pack at any price point. I bought it for doing what you did. Lord Willing, I have the opportunity soon. God Bless

05-Oct-16
Excellent adventure,great job be prepared to make that shot!good for you brother!! Pat

05-Jan-17
Just a random update if anyone was interested in his score, I was pretty close. Officially measured at 274 0/8" gross, 266 0/8" net, my first pope and young animal. Not meant to be a debate about whether or not to get them scored, just something I choose to do.

05-Jan-17
Great story and even better experience, congratulations and thank you for sharing!

05-Jan-17
Grats on your bull. Missed the story the first go-around. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

06-Jan-17
Just saw this...great read and congrats on a great bull. I love Wyo!

14-Apr-17

Final page to the story, got my elk back this week and he is now hung for his final resting place. Was really happy with the way he turned out. My wife even had to admit it didn't look too bad considering her goal in life was to not have taxidermy in her house haha!

14-Apr-17
Congratulations on a great hunt! Thanks for the story - all the way to the end!

14-Apr-17
I missed this both times, was hunting something. Great read in the turkey blind this morning! Excellent job with the thread and on taking your first bull - a fine one. Thanks for sharing!

14-Apr-17
I missed this too.......realized I was moose hunting. CONGRATS on a great bull and hunt!!!

16-Apr-17
Good looking mount

Congrats--------->

Good luck, Robb

16-Apr-17
Great first bull. Thanks for sharing your tale. Good luck this year.

16-Apr-17
Love the idea of the background for your mounted head. Thank you for sharing.

29-Aug-17
damn....about the size of the 6x6 I missed Saturday morning due to misjudging distance.....nicely done sir!!!

• Sitka Gear