Geaux Tigers 04-Jul-09
elkcalln8 04-Jul-09
Ole Coyote 04-Jul-09
Butts 05-Jul-09
AJ 05-Jul-09
Ken Taylor 05-Jul-09
Butts 07-Jul-09
03-Jul-09
Went out scouting today. Freaking grass in Colorado high country is so green and so thick. Found a water source I was looking for and there were 3 trees there that were covered with claw marks. Why do they do that anyway? One set was extremely new about 6'8" from the ground. Hope to meet him in about 80 days

03-Jul-09
often it's marking territory.

04-Jul-09
Those trees are like Facebook or Myspace for bears. They are used for communication between animals to let each other who is coming around, estrous cycles and what not.

04-Jul-09
I also went out the other day. I ended up setting up a stand in an area that had alot of claw and bite marks fresh and old. and two logs that have been chewd into looking for grubs. hope it works out. hell i gota get my tag first haha. i havent got my tag for 5 years hope i can this year. first come first surve no draw sucks.

04-Jul-09
Hi; As mentioned above is 100% correct. I would add that bears do not usually climb to leave claw marks. The higher marks on the trees are done by standing up and pulling down with the claws, this eliminates the casing on the claws kind of like your cuticles (spelling) on your fingernails. The higher the claw marks the bigger the bear. I love it when I find claw marks between five and siz feet high. A few years ago my friend Gary and I set up in a swamp leading into a corn field. We set up two tree stands one on each trail into the corn from the swamp. We flipped a coin as to who would sit where and rotated stands every day. gary got lucky and nailed the Blackie on the fourth day about five in the afternoon. He went 386 dressed. One heck of a bear for New Hampshire.

05-Jul-09

Butts's embedded Photo
Butts's embedded Photo
both these trees almost to the top

05-Jul-09

AJ's embedded Photo
AJ's embedded Photo
Some "Marking Posts" leave you wondering......

05-Jul-09
Territorial behavior is not the only reason there are claw marks on trees.

07-Jul-09
I showed this photo to someone and they noticed on the Aspen tree to the right the lower portion may show evidence of a Bear rubbing (dirty). You think??

• Sitka Gear