Sitka Gear
How long can hide be frozen before taxi?
Bears
Contributors to this thread:
arctichill 06-Jan-14
Nick Muche 06-Jan-14
LKH 06-Jan-14
FullCryHounds 06-Jan-14
kellyharris 06-Jan-14
arctichill 06-Jan-14
FullCryHounds 06-Jan-14
TSI 06-Jan-14
Bear Track 06-Jan-14
Nick Muche 06-Jan-14
DConcrete 06-Jan-14
ryanrc 06-Jan-14
arctichill 07-Jan-14
FullCryHounds 07-Jan-14
arctichill 07-Jan-14
FullCryHounds 07-Jan-14
Teeton 10-Jan-14
06-Jan-14
I have had a beautiful bear hide rolled up in my freezer since September. I planned on having a rug made, but then waffled a bit. How long do I have to make the decision, or is it too late already? I did not skin out the head or paws. The hide currently has the paws and head still attached.

06-Jan-14
It'll be fine. Did you salt it?

06-Jan-14
What you are risking is letting it freezer burn. It can make it very difficult to turn the ears and lips.

At the very least you should have it tanned. You can make the rug decision later.

Taking the bones out of the paws is not difficult and bear ears are fairly easy to turn.

Have you done anything like that???

06-Jan-14
"Have you salted it". NO NO NO!!!

He already said the feet and head are still in it. And that it is in the freezer. Never ever put salt on anything UNTIL it is fleshed, turned and READY to salt. And then, once it is salted, you would NEVER put it in the freezer! Putting salt on an unprepared hide can ruin it. What LKH stated is dead on. But to add to that, when you do put a hide in a freezer, make sure it is wrapped up good, as stated, they will still freezer burn eventually. Once the ears, lips and eyes are turned and the entire hide is fleshed, then it can be salted. It then should be hung to dry and resalted as needed. After 3-4 days it will be dried enough that it can be rolled up and ready to send to a tanner. You never ever salt an unprepared hide and once a hide is salted, you would never put it back into the freezer. Salt prevents freezing. Your hide will be fine but it should be taken to a good taxidermist and turned and fleshed and salted. Once this is done and the hide is dryied and rolled up, it can be stored like that for years. Once it is tanned, it needs to be mounted within a year or two.

06-Jan-14
Mine was frozen for 25 months and there were no problems. It was salted very well and wrapped in 3 thick garbage bags.

06-Jan-14
It is not salted. I simply skinned it, cleaned it (not fleshed, just washed the hide to remove the blood, dirt, etc.), rolled it up, put it in a 3mil thick plastic bag and stuck it in my chest freezer.

LKH,

I have never skinned the head or paws of a bear. I imagine I could do it, but my biggest problem is finding the time. I would prefer to just take it somebody local or ship it somewhere to have it done. I rarely mount anything (except Euro which I do myself) and the only taxidermist I've ever used is no longer in business.

Thanks for the help guys!

Do you guys know how much it might cost to have it tanned?

06-Jan-14
Tanners charge by the foot. You're looking at $50-100 to have it prepped for tanning, then $120-200 to tan depending on size.

06-Jan-14
Glad someone said something,salting it oh my what a mess that would make!

06-Jan-14
Being in the business for over 40 years, I'd like to add something but you have all you need above. You could wrap it one more time and tie the bag off securely and you'd be good for 2 years for sure. Will save on freezer burn.

06-Jan-14
Maybe I should have said "I hope you didn't salt it" instead of asking if he did. Lol

06-Jan-14
I had one in the freezer just like yours is. It was there for 3 years before I had it tanned. It came out great. It was double wrapped in thick garbage bags too.

06-Jan-14
I have a rug, full mount, 3/4 mount and tanned hide. I wish I only ever did tanned hides. I like it the most. The 3/4 mount is OK and the full is cool but takes up so much room. The rug sucks because it takes up so much wall space it just isn't worth it. My taxidermist tried talking me out of a rug and I wished I would have listened.

If I were you, I would just tan the hide!

07-Jan-14

arctichill's embedded Photo
arctichill's embedded Photo
$100 per foot to prep for tanning and then $200 per foot to tan!? Wow! I don't know how long this hide is. If it were 7' long though that would equate to about $2100? I think I would rather bleach the skull and throw the hide in my garbage. The meat is safe in my freezer. I've already made about half of it into various flavors on link sausage. The quality of the "eats" has been reward enough.

I mean no disrespect at all for taxidermists, tanners or those who use their services. I love a tanned hide (any hide). Also, I believe that for the amount of work that goes into it, the price is MORE than justified. There is a lot of time, effort and talent involved.

For me though, $2100 would be better spent towards additional hunting opportunities. I know that a great mount (even if just a tanned hide) is memorabilia that to most is invaluable. For me though, I would rather invest in future experiences. I suppose pictures and recollections will have to suffice.

Again, I have nothing but tremendous respect and admiration for quality taxidermists. In fact, taxidermy is my favorite genre of art. I appreciate all of those fine hunters who keep taxidermists in business so I can appreciate their work. As for me, I've got an Oryx head on my roof (so the coyotes don't get it) that needs to be brought down and bleached and a bear hide that needs to be removed from my freezer to make room for an elk.

07-Jan-14
Arctishill, go back and red my post again. No where does it say $200 per foot. It says $120-200 to tan. That means the entire hide. Since I don't know how long this bear is, I can't give an exact figure. Tanners do charge per foot , if you want that figure, its $20-30 per foot, depending on the tanner you're using.

07-Jan-14
Fullcry,

I apologize for misinterpreting your post. I did re-read it though and the verbiage could easily be comprehended either the way I read it or the way you meant it. I apologize for my mistake.

If I now understand correctly, it may cost up to $100 to prep it to be tanned and then $200 to tan the hide? In other words, I might be able to have this thing tanned for around $300? If that's the case, I'm all in!

Thank you for the clarification.

07-Jan-14
Yes, that is correct.

10-Jan-14
I did everything myself to my bear, cleaned it, turned ears lips and then had it tanned. I can get mounted later when I want. teeton

• Sitka Gear