jimbow 22-Mar-04
smarba 22-Mar-04
Stealth 22-Mar-04
plasticpail 22-Mar-04
tradorion 22-Mar-04
Russ Koon 23-Mar-04
TY 23-Mar-04
22-Mar-04
I would like to do some squirrel hunting with my bow.Just wanted to know if anyone has use flu flu arrows with a compound bow and if it work good.

22-Mar-04
Works good for close range and does help reduce lost arrows. Practice with them as they probably will flya bit different.

22-Mar-04
They fly way far. Shot at a starling, just trying them out, missed the bird with the flu-flu crossing the road (with traffic) about 75 yrds away. Be carfull!!!

22-Mar-04
Yep - though they fly much shorter distance than say a field point, they still do travel a long way. I've used them in the past and didn't notice any difference in flight in the 20-yard range. Carl

22-Mar-04
I use the same arrows and fletching for squirrel as I do for deer, hogs, turkey and everything else.

I just unscrew my thunderheads and screw on the same weight saunders blunt.

I keep my shots to ground shots o shots with a sure backstop.

Stealth

22-Mar-04
I shoot fluflu's with a magnus BH for ruffy"s and find they fly great out to 30+ yards.After that they drop like stones.

22-Mar-04
I use ONEHELLUVA flu-flu, full length feather cut just enough to fit in my Jo-Jan, 6 feathers on the arrow... need my 30yd pin to hit a 20yd target... MUCH LESS FLIGHT than a regular 4 fletch judo... does good work!

R

23-Mar-04
I made and used two styles to compare them. The ones made like tradorion describes, with six full height (I didn't use full length, but about 6", as that was all I could get in my fletcher) feathers, slowed so quickly out of my 68# compound that they were only good out to about 17 yards before starting to drop so quickly that the pins were totally useless. Shot one of them at the 30 yard mark and aimed several feet over the target, and the arrow hit the ground short of the bales. These were made with carbon arrows of about 400 gr. total weight.

The other style,with one full height and full length feather spirally wound around the shaft, was good to a tad over thirty yards before the pins were off, and would travel 75 or 80 yards easily enough if shot at an upwards angle.

That style seemed to me to be more useful, but it would depend on what you were hunting and the type of vegetation. In one field where we were hunting pen-raised pheasant, the weeds were nearly head-high, and the short-range arrow was better. The shots were very close, on the rise, and any arrow that went forty yards would have been like finding a needle in a haystack.

For most hunting in open fields or even fairly open woods, I'd prefer the spiral-wound one. It's still easy to find the arrow if it's within seventy yards or so and brightly fletched, as either design almost always makes them drop straight down after they run out of steam, so they're usually standing up when found. If I make some more, I'll try a spiral-wound one with about a feather and a half on it, as it seems to me that would be even better in most cases.

For squirrel hunting, there's still a chance that you'll lose one once in a while that hangs up in the branches, but it should find it's way down in the next windstorm so you'll be able to get it later if you can return to the spot.

I shoot fingers and use a NAP Flipper rest. No problems at all shooting either type flu-flu across this rest. I would imagine they'd come off a prong-type rest OK, too. Doubt that a Whisker Biscuit would like them very much.

Shooting these with Judo points, you can go out in the fields and have a blast, and I don't know if you could lose an arrow if you tried for a week! I use a hot pink fletch, and that helps.

23-Mar-04
try a spiral fletch. They stop a lot faster, but some compound are just spitting thme out too fast to do what you have in mind. out of a recurve they stop on a dime.

29-Aug-06
Any body sell Carbon spiral flecth? I want to carry a couple Elk hunting for the Grouse I always see!! yum

Elk-n

• Sitka Gear