Genesis 04-Dec-21
Highlife 04-Dec-21
drycreek 04-Dec-21
Swampbuck 04-Dec-21
Paul@thefort 04-Dec-21
Highlife 05-Dec-21
Highlife 05-Dec-21
26-Jun-04
If you have had good results with P.B., please tell how you made the sit-up. I'm thinking about taken a plastic container of P.B. and cut the bottom out and fasten to tree with a nail/screw in the lid.

26-Jun-04
1. Place piece of oven-cured rye and yeast mixture on clean surface.

2. Apply peanut butter liberally.

3. Apply boiled fruit paste directly to peanut butter.

4. Cover with second piece of rye/yeast conglomerate.

5. Consume immediately, or seal in airtight container for ingestion while stalking or stand hunting.

6. Repeat as necessary, in accordance with Atkins or other plan.

27-Jun-04
my secret is now out! PEANUT BUTTER !

i have the best luck with pine trees, the bark is rough and it holds on to the peanut butter longer , makes them work for it. just smear it on and sit back, deer are not the only thing that likes it. coons, possums, SQUIRRELS & some birds.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh! dont tell anyone else about peanut butter!

27-Jun-04
Would that be considered "Baiting" or using an "attractant"?

27-Jun-04
Seriously, is this a serious thread? Sounds like it might work better on bear? 'post'

27-Jun-04
Post its serious allright. Peanutbutter is an awsome early season attractant/shot positioner.

27-Jun-04
I hear its great with grape jelly on white bread, too.

27-Jun-04
I'll bet it would be better with apple ;^)

27-Jun-04
What ever you do just don't sit in it!

27-Jun-04
Ok-butter is a dandy deer attractant. It is also illegal in states where baiting is illegal. You might smear a little on the toe of your boots and be okay.

But for optimum results, use at least 1/2 gallon. Smear around on trees and leave the remainder in the bucket.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. It always attracts hornets.

29-Jun-04
I remember a few years ago some company was marketing a 'peanut butter lollipop' kind of thing, you could stick it in the ground or hang it from a limb. It was in a cardboard tube, and I never got anything to come to it while I was watching. I'd leave it out, and come back in a couple of days, and it would be gone, the ground torn up under the limb. I wasn't bright enough to check for tracks, so I never knew what got it. Now you all got me curious, I think I'll invest in a tub of PB, spread it on a tree, and set up my camera. Who knows what can happen? BSODS

29-Jun-04
BSODS, I always wondered who kept leaving me those peanut butter treats. Nothing better on an empty tummy, LOL.

29-Jun-04
If the critters aren't interested, you can always go lick the tree yourself.

29-Jun-04
It's considered baiting in Iowa. Thus it's illegal to use. I won't even go into the ethics of baiting, as it's been hashed over on many previous threads.Use what ever means "crutch" you need as long as it's legal where you're hunting.

29-Jun-04
FUBAR, I'll leave you a jar of jelly next time, if you want. Grape or strawberry? BSODS

30-Jun-04
LOL, give me the raspberry :)

30-Jun-04
TBA1,

Yes p.butter is a great way to pull Deer to your hunting site.Make sure to start puting it out about a mounth or so early as most deer take a little while to get use to it and after they get started on it you wont be able to keep it out.One thing I like to do is to eat a spoon full or two of p.butter before I go hunting which helps cover my scent with something deer are eating.I say if its legal and it works use it.

P.S. It will take the Deer about 1 to 2 weeks to get on it.

Brittman

01-Jul-04
Don't put the lid on a tree, put it on a stump. Creamy or crunchy makes no difference.

01-Jul-04
brittman, i have to dissagree.

the deer in my area, get on it right away. i only use peanutbutter in the very early season to put a couple of does in the freezer, they get on it within a couple of days. peanutbutter is just so exspensive, i get mine at sams club, 5lb bucket.

good hunting!

01-Jul-04
OK, a small confession here. When this thread started, I thought it was a joke. Now all the replies look like people actually do use this stuff. Is this for real, or am I a victim of a vast bowhunter conspiracy to see if I'll actually go out and spread a tree with peanut butter? If it's for real, are we gonna start seeing articles in the major magazines about the best brand of peanut butter, techniques for spreading it, which tree is the best pb tree, etc?

Oh, FUBAR, PPPHHHHBBBTTT!!! How's that? BSODS

01-Jul-04
I used PB a few years ago in an area where baiting was legal. I never saw a deer go to the PB but the raccoons, birds and foxes were all over it. The area I was hunting was loaded with deer.

01-Jul-04
I am with you BSODS, I thought it was a joke also. Can anyone tell us if it actually works on mature deer, or do you tend to only see small bucks and does like I have found with corn and other types of artificial baiting techniques. With corn and other baiting stations, it seems that most of the mature bucks will definitely stay away until well after dark. I hunted over a feeder a few years ago and my buck sightings went way down. The bucks were around however as my trail camera confirmed them after dark.

01-Jul-04
i have never had a mature buck come in to the peanutbutter, but then again, i dont wait. i shoot the first fat doe that sticks her nose on the tree. peanut butter is for real!

i have been useing it for 25 years, with success. i find a main run, follow it to an intersection,put my peanut butter about chest high, then i ambush the animal from about 15 yards down wind. early season is the best time that i have found, and i have had good success all the way till nov.

try it!

good huntin!

01-Jul-04
The real trick with peanut butter or any attractant is to find a staging area with a lot of droppings. Usually the deer will be here just after dark when it does you no good at all. Using an attractant in this area will bring them in earlier. Find a group of does and get them interested in peanut butter and you can pick the buck you want real east once the rut starts. Hunt the wind and leave nothing that will alert the deer to your presence, the does will get used to your scent and it will not bother them after a week or two they will come in everytime you bait the area however the really large bucks will avoid it like the plague if you leave scent. Do everything you can to leave as little as possible. Wear rubber boots and rubber glovesw when baiting, and yes peanut butter is baiting like it or not so check your regs carefully. The fines not be really heavy but missing a season or two can be a real bummer. And no I have never been fined or missed a seaon, lol, stay well!!

01-Jul-04
Just for giggles I am thinking of driving a steak in an open field, about 3-4' tall with PB on it and place a camera about 20 yards away. See what happens? I wonder if you put the PB in an enclosure, such as a plastic bottle, Tupper ware tub with lid etc. punched full of holes where they could only smell it, if it would be baiting???

02-Jul-04
Little bucks come in to peanut butter. Big bucks come in to peanut butter and jelly. Its a toss up whether Grape tastes better to them than Strawberry, but grape slides off faster.

To help break up your human form, put the peanut butter on a tree behind you so that the trunk of the tree you are in is between you and the tree where the peanut butter is. Don't worry about not being able to see the tree the peanut butter is on, use crunchy peanut butter you'll hear them chewing it.

Also, some states consider it illegal (not fair chase) because the deer can't breathe through their mouths after their lower jaw and tongue sticks to the roof of their mouth. During the rut, when a buck runs past but he isn't grunting, look closely at his mouth for traces of peanut butter before you shoot. His mouth might be stuck shut. He might have peanut butter mouth, also known as "brown tongue."

You can tell if they are eating too much peanut butter because their droppings stick together and are brown.

02-Jul-04
Ducksss, I hear you man thats what hunting is about "getting the meat"(the horns are a bonus)!!!As Ive said before use it as long as it works and its legal in your area.Also I believe that when you pull the Does in the Bucks WILL follow.I have killed a few nice Bucks and Does using bait and hunting the trails leading to the bait.With that said Ive also hunted acorns,green feilds,fence lines, cutovers and so on and have taken a few nice Bucks and Does using these tactics also.Ill try anything to get a Deer (as long as its legal)and have a good time doing it!

Brittman

02-Jul-04
lol! lol! lol!

02-Jul-04
That is a first for me... never heard deer liked peanut butter! Have to try it in the backyard.

03-Jul-04
PB is not a joke. It has long been used as an attractant in some areas. It is also considered baiting, therefore illegal in some areas.

The results using peanut butter are just about like the results from salt or mineral licks or feeders, i.e., you are not likely to get a shot at a mature buck.

As for the ethics of it, I regard it about the same as using an attracting scent or making a mock scrape. If it is legal and you wish to try it, go for it. If you are hunting in bear country, be warned, it works great for them, too.

Here are a couple other products that also attract deer and other animals. Vanilla, Oil of Anise, Cinnamon and essence of honeysuckle.

You might also wish to mix 4-oz peanut butter, two-oz vanilla extract and one-oz anise oil together and use as a boot toe dressing when you walk into your stand. By far the best curiosity scent I have ever seen. And as far as I know, completely legal everywhere. Also great for attracting flies and hornets.

05-Jul-04
ifin your on privite land ,nail the lid with a cement nail so it can be axtraded from the tree and dril a 1/2' hole on the bottom of the jare so after nailing the lid to teh tree you just screw it to the tree ,twist the jar so the hole is face down the squirrls have a tuff time with the slippery jarbut the penut butter just ouse out when its all gone just unscrew the jar and replace.good luck

05-Jul-04
Bowriter: An interesting receipe for a curiosity scent. I printed it off and will try a batch this fall.

05-Jul-04
One tablespoon in a canteen cup with a packet of chicken ramen soup. MMMMMM good.

06-Jul-04
I don't use it because it is illegal on public land but I have a friend who uses it on his lease and he swears by it. He empties a whole jar on a rotten stump. By the end of the season the stump has been torn too shreds by deer pawing and licking it. He mostly kills does and small bucks.

Rice bran works better but thats another story.

11-Oct-07
they now have peanut butter extract that shows no sign of baiting and it works well

11-Oct-07
i've had better luck with beer, or so i like to think

11-Oct-07
if yer gone a bait, good ol corn. shhhh but dont tell anyone.

12-Oct-07
It is considered baiting here in Pa.

years ago here on the Bow Site I read about using PB and it was suggested to cut the bottom out of the jar and put a screw eye in the lid and hang it from a tree limb by heavy mono fishing line about 6 feet from the ground & the same distance from the nearest tree trunk or limb to deter the squirrels.

You might want to try using peanut oil or apple cider sprayed around as a cover sent/attractant. I asked a CO about this, and was told it is not considered baiting.

12-Oct-07
Several years ago while moose hunting in Alaska, we had some bear trouble in camp. We were joking about spreading peanut butter on one of the guys boot laces so he could act as the bear alarm while we were sleeping.

Never thought about using it for deer hunting, probably would work for the does and dinks, but I can't see a mature buck coming in to it. Personally choose not to bait, no offense to those who do. JMHO

16-Oct-07
just tried peanutbutter mixed with anise and vanilla extract saw 17does and one spike horn. Maby it is early for the big boys

16-Oct-07
I started trying it about 10 years ago......I used to nail the lid to the tree and screw the jar on and then cut the bottom off.......works good but feeds the squirels.......So like stated about I started using a string and just duck tape it to the jar and unscrew the lid and hang to deter squirels. Its a hoot watching the deer lick the jar spotless.

I still haven't figured out which brand they like best......Jiffy ......skippy....or ol cheapo........and then there is crunchy or smooth.........LOL

I just buy the cheapest stuff possible and I do smear some on a tree as well..........Plus I make my sandwiches with PB and carry a small tupperware filled for my apple snacks.

16-Oct-07
guess this is real butt will it work in the late season or during rut?

17-Oct-07
lol....my secret is out.....lol.

i used to rub pb all over the trees in a new baited area years ago. the deer would find the new bait site DAY ONE, because of the strong attacting odor that pb puts out.

they would also lick the trees clean of the pb day one.

baiting is no longer legal in central wi.

serb

17-Oct-07
Here's a link to a marketed product. Peanut Bucker

www.wildgameinnovations.com/products/peanut-bucker.html

17-Oct-07
For best results have your wife spread it on your tree. Unbelievable.

17-Oct-07
There is no wrong way to use peanut butter.

19-Oct-07
That Peanut Bucker is about as cheap as PB is.....or I should say PB is to darn expensive these days to use much.........Even at the Sams Club and or jumbo size places in't not the same as ol Corn...........of course baiting issues......well only a hand full of hunters don't bait at all.....there is always the "that's illegal or unethical" but they may use unatural plots or minerals and they say that ok........

Don't want to open any cans of worms.....just tired of people on here complaining about baiting, when different states allow different baits and or no baits and then perception of what baits fall into that catagorie........

I haven't used PB in a couple years due to I hunt on other friends land.....but when I do get my own land I will have some out there and other stuff in the off season!!!! I never hunt right over or near my PB either......I mainly use it to see what is in the area and maybe help out a brother deer or two.

Hunt hard but not to hard but most of all just Hunt and enjoy God's creations!!!

23-Oct-07
I tried it two years ago as a partial cover scent/vent I'd take a heaping Tblspoon full and hold it in my mouth til it all dissolved down my throat.Talk about having deer around,this thing is for real.I had two does come to my stand from downwind of me;at first I thought what in the world is going on and then three bucks come in on the same trail and blew right past as they were trailing the HOT DOES that came in to my PEANUT BUTTER/SCENT VENT.I never got a shot but what an eye-mind opener!

24-Oct-07
all I know is that I had a pb&j bagel in my boy's backpack when we were elk hunting this year. When we walked a few yards away from it to set up on some elk, a big bear came over ripped the backpack in two with a single swipe and took my lunch. I tried to shoot him with my boys bow but he's a lefty and things just didn't work out as I tried to get in on that lunch swiping boo-boo.

24-Oct-07
Had a kid down in OK. tell me that he came across a road kill doe and beside her body was a new born fawn. He took the fawn home and raised it calling it Skid Mark. He went on to say that the Fish&game was not too keen on the idea but as long as he didn't keep it penned it was not a problem. He said he bottle fed it for a while and as it got older kept it coming back using peanut butter and celery sticks. The locals in the area knew the deer and though legal to shoot always let it walk. He said even today he could go out side and whistle and the buck now grown would come in for his treat of celery and peanut butter.

24-Oct-07
A buddy of mine worked for "Kars" nuts and would collect all the old jars from stores and would feed the deer on his property. He found out that they REALLY liked the salted ones the best.

24-Oct-07
Polar never thought about that......good idea for a cover scent of my dragon breath.....LOL

Just find you some PB scented oil that they have for candels and we will all be set!!

26-Oct-21

GroverNCHunts's embedded Photo
That's the buck.
GroverNCHunts's embedded Photo
That's the buck.
PB is great. Got them out in the first three days, the a 4 point on day 4. Take the lid off, nail it to a pine, screw the jar back on, cut the bottom off. Place about 4 1/2ft of the ground. They love it. That and the squirrel food at Walmart /w the peanuts, sunflower seeds, and corn.

26-Oct-21
PB is the greatest trapping bait known to man. It literally attracts everything.

26-Oct-21
Lord help us

26-Oct-21
Lmao

26-Oct-21
I tried it a couple years ago discovered that turkeys loved it but I couldnt shoot them because its considered baiting. The buggers would gather together and clean out an entire jar

26-Oct-21
I read about it in a magazine or something a long time ago. Put a jar on a tree and promptly never sat near it or glassed it from afar. Eventually pulled the jar down and never tried it again. No clue if anything ate it.

Another interesting one I've heard of is Coolaide (cherry flavored if I remember correctly). Anyone use Coolaide as an attractant?

26-Oct-21
"Lord help us"

I have a feeling He may sit this one out.

26-Oct-21
Good thread!

Don’t know how I missed this the first time!

26-Oct-21
LOL Sito!

This could really jump start a mock scrape licking branch setup.... lather up the branch and every deer in the county would be using it !

26-Oct-21
You folks really don't want to know all the uses for peanut butter....... folks in quarantine have come up with 3 or 4 new ones.....

Wow. A 14 year old thread..... Pat's servers run deep......

26-Oct-21
Food item, so it's bait here in Minnesota.

26-Oct-21
Crunchy honey PB is the best. I saw a doe slap a coyote once over a jar.

28-Oct-21
I use Orions method

29-Oct-21
I will have to disagree with you my dear friend NANNERS are the way to go

29-Oct-21
Pure vanilla is a good attractant too..delute it a little with water

14-Nov-21
Lid screwed to the tree and cut a hole in the bottom. Deer love it. Baiting is legal in Maryland and I know LOTS OF GUYS THAT use PB.

04-Dec-21
mmmmm....nannerrrrssssssssssssssssssss........................

04-Dec-21
Wooooohoooo! I put the Peter Pan Smackdown on that swamp donkey? Choosy Bucks choose JIF? When I want my arrow drippy,I use Skippy?

04-Dec-21
ROTFFLMAO!!!!!! I can see the commercials now

04-Dec-21
Sito is having stomach cramps.

04-Dec-21
I knew this girl at bad camp who had a dog………….

04-Dec-21

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
5 minutes later I killed this buck. Must have been the PB.
5 minutes later I killed this buck. Must have been the PB.
PB, sandwich

05-Dec-21
I don't know if this thread should be locked. If the TV heroes find out about this other use for peanut butter it could possibly raise the price so high the little guy won't be able to afford to buy it. Just saying it's how this stuff starts.

05-Dec-21
BTW Paul that looks like some good eating right there :)

• Sitka Gear