sundanceshooter 30-Sep-06
bowriter 01-Oct-06
ksman-five 01-Oct-06
hmaxims 02-Oct-06
hmaxims 02-Oct-06
hmaxims 02-Oct-06
Beev 02-Oct-06
26-Sep-06
I have read alot about the use of a curiosity scent in the early season. I have also heard that alot of these scents are nothing but Vanila. Has anyone had succes with this and are they just vanila?

26-Sep-06
I've used Doc's Deer Scents "Sweet Demise" with good success for the last 2 years. I've put it out 6 times, and I've taken 3 does & 1 buck over it. I'm not a big urine scent user, but this seems to work well in the early season when it can be important to get the deer in a shooting lane when the leaves are on.

bigfuzzy

26-Sep-06
I have used Kirshners Curiosity, Trails end 307, Deer Dander, I have had positive reactions with all. Also no reactions, but never bad reactions. In General, If it is gland based don't use to much just a a drop or two is all you need. Good luck.

26-Sep-06
best two things I have ever used is Trails ends 307 which goes up every year. And the other thing I use which sounds crazy but does work. I drink 2 or 3 cups of coffee before going out, and then take a good pit stop near or off my treestand. I was doing this on accident for awhile, until I start taking more antlerless deer and getting ticked off bucks running through my area to check this out. It is great to do this in the snow(not because it turns yellow either) and see how many deer check it out. You would be surprised too!

26-Sep-06
heres a guy that has very good fresh urine and good prices. check out his prices on his gel and urine. gal jugs $60. to $90. www.realscent.com young buck works good and tarsal gland early season.

27-Sep-06
Pen raised deer urine as scent and lures are a potential risk of introducing CWD into an area. If you got to use urine, use your own because research has shown that actual deer phermones do not remain in the urine long*...what remains is pretty much the same chemical constituents. If you have fears that your urine is "predator" in nature, then change your diet and eat salads for a few days before hunting.

*to obtain phermones, urine must be collected as passed and flash frozen. phermones are aeromatic chemicals and work by being distributed in the air...not left in a wet pile of pee.

27-Sep-06
I once used Fitzgeralds 'Vanilla Killer' and had a few deer come in to it. Then, I got to thinking, if I'm paying $4 for a small 1 ounce bottle of this stuff, and immitation vanilla sells for about .99 for 4 or 5 ounces...what did I have to loose? I gave it a try and had, and still have great success with it. I'll never pay that kind of money again for a curiosity scent. Get a bottle of immitation vanilla and give it a try. I shot a nice 4-pointer last week at 4 yards when he stopped to smell a bush I squirted some on.

Thunderthumbs.

27-Sep-06
I brew my own beer and soda pop. Last year I used root beer extract as a curiosity scent and had mulitple deer check it out. I used it on a stand site and then did not return for several weeks to find the area torn up. Could have been a coincidence, but I plan to use it again this year.

27-Sep-06
The best deer hunter I know uses a white acorn extract. I have no idea where he gets it. However he swears by it.

27-Sep-06
You can get corn extract from most Bear scent companies. Try www.bearscents.com

29-Sep-06
Is it worth just buying vanilla from the market and using that?

29-Sep-06
yes...don't know if there is a difference between imitation or real for the deer though...doubt if it matters as it seems to be more of a curiosity thing.

29-Sep-06
Been using apple scent for almost 40 years now haven't had an unfilled tag in that many years, try it you'll love it! I eat apples while on stand. I cut them into pieces and dip them in lemon water to stop them from turning brown. I cut them so I do not have to make a big snap when bitting into a whole apple. I put apple scent on my pant legs and on scent pads and hang the pads around the stand area. I have yet to have a deer come in that has not stopped and smelt the pad, it seems to calm them down even when there isn't an apple tree for miles!

29-Sep-06
Anyone try peanut butter? A researcher told me one time that they saw the most interest to peanut butter, but I haven't tried it yet. As far as curiosity, I have had success by whislting at deer very softly. Doesn't always work, they have to be curious I guess.

29-Sep-06
Trails End #307 has been the most effective scent I have used to date.

30-Sep-06
I’ve had a little success with some of the synthetic lures like the ones made by Hawgs/buck fever, but I’m looking to experiment more this year. To be honest, I’m mainly posting to this thread to keep it going as there are some great ideas here and I’d like to see more ideas posted.

You all might be interested in my sent delivery system. I got tired of having to take so many precautions to keep my sent out of the area I was trying to apply sent to, so I came up with an idea. I take regular felt that you buy at the drug store or craft section at the department store and I cut it into 1.5 inch squares. I then take either 2-4 regular .177 BB’s or regular wrist rocket large steel shot and wrap it up in the felt. I secure it by wrapping one of those little rubber bands that they use for putting the small braids in horses manes around it. (found in the equine section at any farm and feed store) While up in my stand I put one of those “felt pellets” in the sling of my wrist rocket and, wearing rubber gloves of course, place a dab or two of whatever sent I wish to place out there on the felt. It is then simply a matter of picking a spot within range of the wrist rocket and letting er’ fly.

30-Sep-06
OOOOPPPS....I meant SCENT...LOL.....Yeah! I'm a professor for sure...DUH!

30-Sep-06
'Pen raised deer urine as scent and lures are a potential risk of introducing CWD into an area.'

Jack,

That statement is not correct in the least bit. CWD cannot be transmitted by urine.

CWD is a prion disease similar to BSE in cattle (mad cow) and scrapie in sheep.

One point you do have is the 'biosecurity' aspect of using pen raised deer urine. That you are right about. The one thing I know for a fact one could spread through using it is Leptospirosis but that is entirely another thread topic.

The best attractant I have used is Deer Daner...really had good luck with it.

30-Sep-06

jackb (MI)'s Link
I've been studying CWD and prion diseases for a number of years.

Research HAS shown that prion diseases can and are transmitted via urine and feces. In fact, CWD was originally seen in a research herd of deer that were penned in an area originally used to hold scrapie infected sheep.

Mice have been used to demonstrate abnormal prions can be transferred by infected bedding. Prion diseases have been transferred between infected and non-infected animals also via intercerebral innoculation of brains, which indicates again that prions can be transferred via infected urine.

Prions are not destroyed once introduced into the enviroment. Neither sun, nor heat nor cold nor rain nor snow destroy prions. An Icelandic sheep farm had scrapie infected sheep removed. The land was chemically disinfected, top 6" of soil removed and left fallow for over a year. Within 6 months of scrapie negative sheep being re-introduced, signs of scrapie was seen in the herd.

Indications have been made that vCJD, a human variant of prion disease has been spread via surgical tools which are sterilized between uses.

Because of this nature of the abnormal prions; i.e. their resistance to destruction other than high heat (incineration)was also proven in the British with mad cow disease (BSE)...another TSE. This was partially due to British diet (body parts normally not eaten here: blood sausage, brains, etc.)and the fact that downer cattle entered the food chain.

Which again is why bovine derived protiens are no longer able to be used as supplement in cattle feed. The abnormal prions are not destroyed in the process where rendered animals are converted to protein supplements.

The spread of CWD across the Mississippi to the Eastern United States has been linked to captive cervids being sold for various breeding programs. Prior to its discovery in WI, the disease had not been seen east of the Mississippi and had been somewhat localized to the origial several western states.

The fact that there is NO test to determine whether a live animal is infected or a carrier means that unless the brain is sampled, no captive deer can truely be certified as CWD free. Because of the length of time for between infection and showing signs of the disease has cause most states to increase regulations of cervid farmers to keep scrupulous records of their animals and has caused restrictions in shipping interstate.

Cervids are not farm animals and their genetics make them much different than cattle and sheep which have been domesticated and raised in large groups for 100's of years. Raising deer in pens is not normal, and the genetics of the deer has not been selected to be herd animal density and kept in relatively small areas...which makes them more likely to rapidly spread an infection among the animals.

For the simple fact that CWD can be passed via urine, inspite of deerslayer has said(see link and references), anyone using scent lures from captive farm raised deer run a significant risk to introducing the disease into areas where CWD was NOT present. With the present knowledge base, I would consider it irresponsible to use these products merely for the potential risk. Of course, the economics dictate a different response: cervid farmers have herds that have relatively limited uses: pen raised deer for antlers/hunting, for meat, for oriental folk medicine(velvet); and scent lures. Without the ability to sell lures, the economics become bad for the farmers--especially with increased regulations regarding record keeping, fencing regulations, and restrictions on shipping between other farmers.

There is good news: the oft cited "no relation between eating CWD infected animals and human development of vCJD" seems to hold true. Especially if one avoids eating organs such as the spleen, marrow, or brain.

Something to keep an eye out for is EHD (epizootic hemorrhagic disease)which has show up in several areas in the US this year. EHD is the cervid equivalent to blue tongue disease.

30-Sep-06
Buck Nip is a very good early season curiosity scent has worked for friends in the past and has worked for me also u can get it anywere and its cheap

01-Oct-06
2 oz vanilla, 2 oz peanut butter, 1 oz oil of anise. Mix well, rub on boot toe. Deer will follow you to your stand. Should be a season supply.

So will hornets.

01-Oct-06
moon fire? any one use this smells like colone

02-Oct-06

hmaxims's embedded Photo
hmaxims's embedded Photo
ehans writes ((The best deer hunter I know uses a white acorn extract. I have no idea where he gets it. However he swears by it. ))

One year I teased my Dad unmercifully. He gathered up some acorns, boiled them and made a scent spray from it. My mother was pissed that the house stunk and he ruined a pan. All the while, I thought he was crazy and I just laughed....that is until he brought home this big bodied 10 pointer... his best yet.

02-Oct-06
I meant to add that there may have been something to the acorn spray. I don't think he had the courage to try making it again, LOL!

02-Oct-06
I meant to add that there may have been something to the acorn spray. I don't think he had the courage to try making it again, LOL!

02-Oct-06
I like that Fitzgerald's Deer Dander but it's getting way over priced.

• Sitka Gear