20 ft up 12-Oct-06
ironhunter 12-Oct-06
rutman 12-Oct-06
hmaxims 12-Oct-06
Sharpshooter 12-Oct-06
Bowfreak 12-Oct-06
KSb0hunter 12-Oct-06
12-Oct-06
I have been peeing, while in my treestand, into a jar for years (just as my mentor taught me). The other day, I take a friend, who deer hunts 3 days a year, to help me set up a 2 man ladder. I get into the stand so he can cut some shooting lanes for me. I turn around and he is peeing right on the deer trail. I flew off the handle. He argued that this would not scare deer. After much debate I let it go. Me and my son went to hunt the stand the next evening. Some does walked right trough his pee and never stopped. Am I peeing in, and carrying this gross ass jar for nothing?

12-Oct-06
Yep!

12-Oct-06
Let it fly. I've seen does come to a mock scrape that was peed in and have witnessed bucks get all fired up about it.

12-Oct-06
I have been whizzing out of tree stands for years. If anything it attracts deer.

12-Oct-06
Let'r Rip Tater Chip thats what I say

12-Oct-06
This comes up all the time and some will say it is the worst thing you can do. Rationally I think if deer were afraid of pee or even pee from carnivoirs they would be running non-stop to try and find a safe zone. Fox, coyote, possum, skunk, coon, bear, dogs, cats, birds(even small song birds eat meat) and the list goes on. All these critters are peeing in the woods so let er' fly. Try and pee on a deer that is a coup de gras'

Bob Urban

12-Oct-06
I know a guy who claims to have peed on almost every North American game animal except Grizzly Bear with no problems.

Tom

12-Oct-06
I've been taking a bottle of water with me for years - drink the water and pee in the bottle, drop it in the dumpster on the way home.

Just goes against my grain to leave any scent of any kind around. That said, a friend of mine kills a big buck every year - he "freshens" every scrape he sees. Seems to work for him.

Year before last had an emergency BM. Left the ground blind, barely made it down wind 20 yards, let it rip, finished the paper work, returned to the ground blind, killed a buck 20 minutes later that walked right by it. Go figure.

12-Oct-06
As noted in a previous post, this subject does come now and then. Just last week I wanted to try and see for myself what would happen. Before getting in the stand, I made a scrape and took a leak into it. I saw 12 Does that night, and 5 stuck their noses into the scrape. Not a one became nervous or alarmed. That's proof enough for me.

12-Oct-06
Go ahead and pee

12-Oct-06
I to have always carried a bottle with me to the stand but about 5 yrs ago I was walking into a field pre dawn and had to go so I used my bottle and set it on the gate post at the field enerence. Upon arriving to the stand about 300yds across the field I found another club member had blown a hole in the stand plat form with his rifle. (idiot never left his safety on) So I sat on the ground under the stand. I couldn't see the whole field so I would stand up about every 30 min and have a look. about 8:00 I see 2 deer standing next to that gate sniffing the bottle of pee!!!! Never saw them use that fence before as a travle so I think they came to the smell. just my little experience

12-Oct-06
Set a stand last month and had this discussion with my hunting partner. To prove a point I took an overhanging branch and twisted it a little, tore the ground up in about a 2' circle with a stick and peed right in it. He swore I just killed the stand. Yesterday it was noted that that overhead branch is nearly destroyed and the scrape is a couple feet bigger.

Pee away my friend, just don't be suprised when the buck shows up and you don't have a free hand...

12-Oct-06
Several years ago my dad tried something that I thought would for sure scare everything off. He collected his urine over a week period in a gallon milk jug. On opening day of the rifle season in the middle of the rut, he poured the liquid all over a still leafy bush near his stand. At sometime after daybreak, a buck came in and literally attacked the bush. He got it and swears by it today. This is the honest truth.

12-Oct-06
I recently went hunting with a guy who is supposedly renowned bowhunter. After setting a stand I walked about 30 yards from the stand and started to take a pee. When he turned around and saw me, he went off his handle and told me I had ruined the area for at least 10 days.

At that very moment I realized he didn't know near as much about the animals he hunts as he and most people think.. As the hunt continued I learned that other than being a very good shot, he knew and understood little about the critter we were hunting.

Pee or poop has no negative effect on any wild critter I have ever hunted. Quite the contrary: there are times it has positive effects,. like scrap refresher and some critters will even lick the area in which you pee or dump your pee. I suppose that's because of the need for salt.

So if you’re one that still believes that pee will spoke game, , I think its time you really try some experiments to prove your belief. I also think you should do the same thing if you really believe that scent lock clothing helps.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

12-Oct-06
The secret to success "Drink lots of water before you head to your stand". LOL.

"I know a guy who claims to have peed on almost every North American game animal except Grizzly Bear with no problems."

Tom - when he tries this, be sure to get it on video.

Good to know I am ahead of the curve on this one.

12-Oct-06
Pee away, it will help.

12-Oct-06
Many studies and articles have been written on the subject. It is OK to pee in the woods. Human urine will act as an attractant, at least for deer curiosity. Human odor will scare deer, but not the smell of urine.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN PI$$ ALL OVER YOURSELF AS A COVER SCENT!

12-Oct-06
LOL @ sagittarius!!!

Well, since pee is o.k. and poop is o.k., then I can only make the next logical conclusion that farting is fine too? In fact, a good controlled, low tone "Harley" just might grunt one in? Mayyybbbeeee.

Pee any where you want. Take a dump anywhere you want. Fart any where and as often as you want...and we wonder why this is a male-dominated sport. LOL.

12-Oct-06
What about coffee drinkers? After a couple of cups of early morning Jo there is a distinct coffee "aroma" vs. a water-driven pee. Another thought is are we talking mature bucks here with these test results? The young deer will investigate anything.

12-Oct-06
Deer know the difference between urine and the smell of a human in the area. People need to just use a little common sense. They are afraid of you not where you have been. If nothing else it makes them curious. Has anyone ever stop to think about how a deer knows what human urine smells like in the first place. It's not like they have deer schools on the subject. These guys that run feeders can hit their feeders every day and the deer always come to them.

12-Oct-06
I personally recommend dropping your pants, squatting on the edge of your treestand (safety belt firmly attached), and laying a big, steamy triple-coiler at the bottom of your treestand.

12-Oct-06
I read some years back that after a few minutes, any "human" components of your piss evaporate and your left with 99.9% amonia, or something like that.

hey northern, don't forget about that when you're gettin' down. Wouldn't want to hop of your platform and hit a landmine!!:)

12-Oct-06
I've just got to follow-up on a serious note.

If you're hunting does and/or dink bucks, I can understand maybe the odd indiscretion. But for those of us that chase mature whitetail bucks with the stick and string, can anyone really tell me with a straight face that it is an ADVANTAGE to piss out of one's tree stand?

So, with all the care and attention we put into scent control, wind direction, and so on......to produce what may be a once-in-a lifetime opportunity, IMO you'd have to be INSANE to add another variable such as the stank of human urine into the equation.

For those of you that are after a few chops and jerky, knock yourself out.

12-Oct-06
Northern Whitetails,

I understand your concern. The guy I refered to in my other post is a very serious big whitetail hunter and he and his brother have killed more trophy whitetails than I have ever or will ever see. You may have heard of him. Barry Wensel.

Tom

12-Oct-06
This has been one of the greatests posts I have ever read for pure entertainment purposes. I am sure my wife would not agree...it's great to be a male. I am convinced it doesn't hurt your hunting chances because the bottom line is, when it is cold outside, no matter how many times you shake it into the bottle, the last bit ends up going down your leg anyway!

12-Oct-06
Man I gotta go!!!!!!!!!!!

12-Oct-06
This thread has given me a great marketing idea.. Forget to bottle... Just pee.

12-Oct-06
I am so jealous that I didn't start this post!

I am the one that is always accused about starting the poop conversations at my house. I have always been careful not to "download" near my stands. I am not going to worry any more. Next time mother nature calls I am going to drop a load that a show dog couldn't jump right under my stand.

12-Oct-06
Peeing "on" animals as a joke or for the video cam, but Barry ain't peeing on, near, or anywhere in the vacinity of the world-class whitetails he hunts. If I'm mistaken, my hat's off to Barry for his peeing prowess.

12-Oct-06
Well I think I can one up Barry on this one. I peed on a dinosaur. Well dinosaur bones anyway (in Utah). My girlfriend, now wife didn't think it was funny. She was pissed.

12-Oct-06
pay the water bill and let it goooo!

12-Oct-06
For those of you that find this one funny, read the tattoo post, there are a few good ones. Sorry but I think the lighter side is a nice change.

12-Oct-06

12-Oct-06
Peeing in the woods won`t hurt a thing,I,ve been peeing in scrapes for years,some scrapes I started and some the deer did.For you non believers out there that think big mature hunter wise bucks would be scared off by this,I have taken half a dozen 140"+ deer and one booner(all of them archery kills).Saftey is/should be your biggest concern if you are literally going to pee or poop out of a tree stand.I try to go before I get up there and limit my food intake before going on a hunt.Ironhunter.

12-Oct-06
It's never hurt me!!!

12-Oct-06
I've been caught twice with my pants down - literally. Once a doe walked up to within about 40 yards while I had my spikehorn in my hand. Another time I had just finished and had a pair walk by - doe and young buck. After that, I never think twice about peeing in the woods.

12-Oct-06
That is great!!! I was thinking about the same thing this past week while in my stand. I had to go bad and it was getting to the perfect time right before dark. I guess I won't worry about that anymore. Thanks for having the nerve to actually ask that question!!!

12-Oct-06
I was in Sask back a couple of years ago. I had already killed my bear so I was videoing a good friend. We got pinned down in the tree for hours after dark by a mean sow with cubs. We both ended up peeing out of the stand. We had both been holding it for hours. There were bears all under us and we had to have both peed on bears literally trying to climb our tree. It was really funny after we relieved ourselves.

12-Oct-06
Buddy and I were in a duck blind alongside a marsh WAY before the sun came up.....drank enough coffee we were pissing every ten minutes about five yards behind the blind. About 30 minutes before shootin' time we heard a deer walking up behind the blind.

We spun around to see a HUGE 160+ buck snortin', scrapin', gruntin' and carryin' on right there where we were relievin' ourselves!! We both got half-scared afraid we were about to get mauled!!!

Yelled at him to get him to leave.

Don't know if it was the piss or what, but we don't get too concerned now about whizzin' in the woods.

• Sitka Gear