bigcritter4 07-Oct-09
Nockbusta 08-Oct-09
Bullshooter 09-Oct-09
Gobblestopper 09-Oct-09
Paul @ the Fort 09-Oct-09
x-man 09-Oct-09
wyobullshooter 28-Feb-18
29-Jan-07
Currently I shoot Goldtip Xt hunters, but was interested in the Easton Axis. Are the Axis better than the Goldtips or should I stick with what i got?

29-Jan-07
Why change if you like what you have and they work?? Goldtip is by far a stronger/tougher shaft...Jeff

29-Jan-07
I am always looking to upgrade things and make better. I didn't know if there is better but always looking. I have heard from some that the Axis shafts are good.

29-Jan-07
I haven't tried the Axis myself. The guys at the ranges I shoot who have tried them seem to like them.

I switched from GoldTips to the Beman ICS Hunters. They are pretty much identical in size and weight to the GoldTips, and seem to be every bit as tough, with better spine consistency that seems to get me slightly better groups at longer ranges. And they're made in the USA, for about the same price as the Mexican GoldTips.

29-Jan-07
Oh, I forgot to mention what is probably going to be the most noticable difference between the GT's and the Bemans.....the Bemans have a slicker finish and are noticably easier to pull from foam targets.

29-Jan-07
GreatWhite,

I have just recently switched from goldtip to axis and I really like them so far. They are slimmer and in theory they should penetrate better. They are also a bit heavier and that is what I was looking for. They are very quiet on the rest due to there slicker finish.

Hope this helps.

P.S. They are also easier to get at the local shop. Goldtips seem to be on back order all the time.

Sharpstick

29-Jan-07
I prefer the Axis over the Goldtips. The Axis has been very durable for me. I used the new FMJ Axis this year and was very impressed with them. I will be using them again this year.

29-Jan-07
I just switched from the GoldTip xt's to axis... I love the added weight and its a really nice arrow. Im very pleased with them. The Goldtip's did not hold up well in my opinion.

29-Jan-07
I think the axis is way tougher then the gold tips. I love the axis a, tough heavier skinny arrow, what more could you ask for.

29-Jan-07
The thicker wall and smaller diameter shaft of the Axis makes it a MUCH stronger shaft than any GT

Bill in MI

29-Jan-07
I am going to switch from the Axis to the goldtip. I don't know whitch goldtip you guys were shooting, I plan on using the pro hunter shafts. The axis shafts tend to split at the insert. The HIT insert leaves the point resting directly on the shaft, and I have had several start to split on that end. The Axis flies great, and I like everything else about them, but I have had to toss a few of them each year, from the insert. I would think the FMJ Axis would be ok, but never tried it.

29-Jan-07
lots of good stuff on this site

29-Jan-07
Pultruded carbon shaft(axis) just like the old style thin Bemans!!?? More carbon fibers in your venison....Wouldnt use them if they were free....Jeff

29-Jan-07
The axis aren’t the same as the old beman, they are not strands of carbon they are wrapped. Also as far as the shafts splitting at the end, I had it happen once with a axis field tip( the one a dealer recommended) . After switching to a different tip (9/32s) that was flush they are just about indestructible same goes for a broadhead on the end

29-Jan-07
Good, glad to here that. I used to use to old Bemans and after some breaking I shyed away from them....Jeff

29-Jan-07
"Pultruded carbon shaft(axis) just like the old style thin Bemans!!?? More carbon fibers in your venison....Wouldnt use them if they were free....Jeff"

As stated, Axis are not pultruded but wrapped just like most all other carbon arrows on the market.

But I still wouldn't use them. ;-)

29-Jan-07
Which flys better. For me Goldtips XT 7595 have been pretty tough but I am wondering if Axis would have even better flight.

29-Jan-07
Matt what would you use?

29-Jan-07
I prefer the Carbon Tech Whitetails.

29-Jan-07
I have noticed my groups at longer distances have improved after I switched from Gold Tip to another arrow manufacturer(CT) which I'm positve is due to Gold Tips crappy spince consistency.

29-Jan-07
"I have noticed my groups at longer distances have improved after I switched from Gold Tip to another arrow manufacturer(CT) which I'm positve is due to Gold Tips crappy spince consistency."

I couldn't will a 4" 3 arrow 40 yard group with the old GT 3-D Pro's but put an entire dozen CT's into a group under 4" at 40.

29-Jan-07
How did I know Matt would say that :0) .....Jeff

29-Jan-07
The AXIS 400 arrows are a pain to pull from 3D targets. So, I just use them for hunting. They get great penetration on game animals and fly awesome. I use the Quick Spin vanes and shoot Muzzys. I have had great luck so far. And yes, I used to shoot Gold Tip.

Of course, this is just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions! LOL

29-Jan-07
"How did I know Matt would say that :0) .....Jeff"

Probably because you've read it 5x before. While it is anecdotal, it was eye opening to me.

29-Jan-07
Of course I should be honest and state and have left the axis and max4's behind for the CT Rhino 55/80's.

If there was an arrow to shoot lengthwise through a deer this would be it ;^)

Bill in MI

29-Jan-07
yeah Thanks for the help. i have my eye on the Carbon techs. i have heard nothing but good about these arrows.

29-Jan-07
Be careful of the Axis they will slip out of your quiver!!! Good Luck

30-Jan-07
does it really matter?

31-Jan-07
Ditto what footshooter said the ends of the axis shafts crack and split waaaaay too much for a shaft that's said to be durable gold tips are much more durable.

31-Jan-07
Guys,

I checked the Carbon Tech website and have some question you maybe able to answer:

1: Are these shafts taper? 2: I see the Hippo has a 23/64 diameter. Does anyone know the specs for the Cheetah, Rhino and Whitetail? Thanks, Joe

31-Jan-07
They have one shaft that is tapered, the rest of the hunting shafts are not. They are the same ID/OD as most other IC carbons.

31-Jan-07
I have solved my search for an upgrade. I am going to give the Carbon Tech Whitetails a try. I have heard good things about these arrows.

31-Jan-07
I actually went to the Carbon Tech Whitetails first after I decided to witch from GoldTips.

I liked them, also. Accurate, durable, not a thing wrong with them, in my opinion. I did make a mistake in getting the camo shafts, though. For hunting, they would be OK, but I was shooting mostly 3D with them at the time of year when I got them, and the camo ones are definitely more "sticky" to pull from foam targets.

I switched from them to the Easton/Beman ICS Hunters mostly out of curiosity and because my local shop began carrying the Bemans. Have been just as happy with them and liked the slick finish better for retrieving from targets.

Both are very good products.

31-Jan-07
I like my GT's...not planning on changing any time soon.

31-Jan-07
Love my ACCs

31-Jan-07
Hey Matt,

As many poeple as we've converted to CT's on this site... You would think CT could "comp" us some shafts huh? ;)

07-Oct-09
Foot Shooter said it best. That is why I switched back to GT XT's. As far as I go not much difference in accuracy. Shot and elk with a montec broadhead and Easton Axis 340's, the end of the shaft split. I did not have a BAR adaptor, because I didn't like to add another part. But the arrow passed clean through, just don't like the insert.

08-Oct-09
I bought a dozen axis 340's they shot great but be prepared to buy into the hit system & broadhead ring and its expensive. I liked how the hit system allined with the shoulder of field points and broadheads but I felt they were not nearly as tough as the GT xt hunters. An axis with an outsert IMHO would make a super tough arrow.

09-Oct-09
What about Victory arrows? Anybody know how they compare?

09-Oct-09
I love my Axis n-fused 340's with the heavier brass inserts. They fly way better than the maximas I shot last year.

09-Oct-09
I am using the 400 FMJ Axis on my recurve bow this year and like the way they shoot. Because of their smaller dia. they are closer to center shot than a larger dia. shaft.

After shooting them during practice and while hunting, it seems they are no more durable than the Goldtip xts all carbon arrows. I view them as an aluminum arrow and not a carbon arrow, for durability.

09-Oct-09
Yikes, who dug up a two year old thread?

28-Feb-18
Yikes, who dug up an 11 year old thread?

• Sitka Gear