GF 13-Dec-20
APauls 13-Dec-20
BigOzzie 13-Dec-20
PECO 13-Dec-20
Woods Walker 13-Dec-20
TREESTANDWOLF 13-Dec-20
Rupe 13-Dec-20
14-Nov-07
Should the practice of having a trail camera take pictures off an adjacent property be illegal?

14-Nov-07
Nope...If it is on your property taking photos off of a trail coming off of another property should not matter. That deer,hog,bear or whatever it is doesn't know the difference in the boundry so if he crossing on to your land you should know. That way you can pattern him.

14-Nov-07
Should your neighbor be able to take pictures of your family eating at the kitchen table also?

14-Nov-07
Close your blinds. Its not illegal to look at a car in someones driveway. Its not yours so your saying you should be arrested.

14-Nov-07
Close your curtains :0) .....Jeff

14-Nov-07
I get what you are saying I would not like someone putting a game camera right on the fence and taking picture of deer in my field. but i should not be able to say that is illegal and they should be fined. If its on their side then thats fine. I'd put up a sign in front of it that says "Don't worry about whats in my field, have a nice day".

14-Nov-07
Nope. The right to privacy (which I believe is the relevant legal concept) should not be presumed to exist where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. Consider the implications of such a precedent.

IMO this one falls into the "be careful what you wish for, as it might come true" category.

14-Nov-07
My take is that if it is just land out in the middle of the sticks then what does it really matter??? If it is somewhere where you might be infringing on someones privacy, then it may not be illegal, but it isn't exactly the right thing to do.

I am curious why you posed that question in the first place? Do you have a neighbor that has a camera pointed towards your property, or do you want to point one towards your neighbor?

14-Nov-07
I got caught taking a whiz by one and internet sells are out the roof!

No,a young kid has one set taking them off of my land and it doesn't bother me but raises some privacy issues IMO that will rear it's head as more and people use cameras.

It peeks his interests so I'm good but say if the guy was an outfitter and used the pics to promote his operation then I would investigate my options.

14-Nov-07
So, close your eyes when you go by the neighbors field and there's a booner out there. What's the difference if you snap a picture out the window of truck or off of a trail cam.

14-Nov-07
It is curious what he would do with the info if he got pics of a big buck? Maybe put a camera on your side pointing back at his?

Can't you put a flag that moves in the wind in front of his camera and burn up his card taking a bunch of pictures of nothing?

Maybe just walk in front of his camera so it captures a picture of you with bolt cutters, a sledge hammer or a shotgun in your hands?

Whatever you do, hopefully he would get the picture...so to speak? ;-)

14-Nov-07
so you own the deer or what?

14-Nov-07
I think common courtesy comes in to play here. Unfortunately things like "common" courtesty and "common" sense aren't as common as they once were.

14-Nov-07
This is an A-1 thread. Hilarious in fact. He's perfectly legal so long as he isn't crossing property lines and is not infringing on your reasonable expectation of personal privacy. I look at my neighbors' fields all of the time and even bino them scoutting for an evening or two every fall from my land or from the road. I am not a peeping tom!

14-Nov-07
There are a ton of ways to send a message but this young man is just getting started bowhunting.I bet this is going to be common place as property line edges are great places and habitat for critters.

I bet Pike county is a zoo with cameras taking pictures of cameras.

14-Nov-07
"So, close your eyes when you go by the neighbors field and there's a booner out there. What's the difference if you snap a picture out the window of truck or off of a trail cam."

Alot of difference, the incidental photo would be rather harmless but the constant pounding of a major trail (not my case)from a bedding area from your neighbors trail cam flash could be detrimental.

Duke,your missing the whole point.It isn't about LOOKING.It's about harrassing with a flash.

Some anti is rigging an alarm to a trail cam as we speak..:)

14-Nov-07
No flash is fine then, right?

14-Nov-07
So I need to try to do something about the guys "harassing" my deer with a spot light too, which is perfectly legal here so long as not trespassing or having a gun or bow in the car and doing within specified hours? Come on. Seriously. Sure, I put in as many trees as possible, as I know that there are plenty of A-holes who indeed shine and will come back armed if they see the right deer.

The neighbor kid can (and has the right to) hang a stand along that very same pathway into the field and spook every single deer coming into the field every single day of the season if he wants to hunt there.

Basically, what I am getting at is he owns the land and has his rights. You own adjacent land and have your rights to that land. You need to work together as much as possible and get on the same page as much as possible and respect the fact that you both enjoy the same sport.

15-Nov-07
Lawd I'm glad I don't live around a bunch of easterners.

15-Nov-07
Provacy issues??? The only thing that is yours on the land is your trees, brush, shrubs and so on.

An "animal" is NOT "private property" and taking pictures of somethign that does not belong to you can in no way, shape, or form involve matters of "privacy".

if I were driving down a road and I saw a giant buck in a field I'd most likely attempt to take a picture or get some footage.

I see now harm in what this "kid" is doing at all. What if he has the camera set to only go off at close range???

Let it go and what-ever you do please don't do anything that turns the kid away from hunting.

A buck is not THAT important.

In any event you have no legal case. I find the whole thing rather silly! LOL

"Harrassing with the flash. Tell me you're just joking. :)

15-Nov-07
What you could do is offer to consolidate your property and his to the both of you hunting. Work together to build a whitetail haven that you both can enjoy with deer managment. Such as food plots and feeders. Become friends and scout together and make it under certain conditons that you help him and he and you obey the rules laid down such as size limits on the bucks taken etc. Of course you have to decide if the young man is the kind that is respectful to the wildlife and yourself. You might talk to him about the camera facing towards your property and have a dicussion about his intentions. Just a thought.

15-Nov-07
No, it shouldn't be.

If it was pointed into your yard or something then you might want to have some words but even I put cameras along the property edge as some of the trails coming in are at funnel points and I can get good pics there. Mind you we are talking 50-300 acres blocks and not 3 acres and a guys yard or anything.

People also aren't as touchy about that sort of thing here either and I wouldn't care if my neighbours did the same. They even hunt on the line but that doesn't bother me either as long as they don't hunt my ground. If they did then I'd cut the tree down and the stand along with it but I know my neighbours and we get along for the most part. The thing is if they are on there own side enjoying their own property who am I to say they can't. Its a good bet the "line" isn't within 10 feet of where it should be anyway, since very little of the blocks over a few acres are surveyed anyway, lol.

15-Nov-07
I work as an appraiser and take pictures of ppls houses every day. As long as there are no ppl or kids in the photos there is nothing they can do about it. Just a fact of life.

15-Nov-07
Moon em.

15-Nov-07
just stick the head of a monster mount into the edge of the cameras viewing area and let him get some good pics of a big buck. I might even be tempted to rent a sasquach suit

15-Nov-07
TD beat me to it.

"Moon em"

13-Dec-20
I have new neighbor not from my area . They have put up a trail cam on the property line ( which is no where near there house directly pointing at my back yard. Also the thing they don't hunt . I think that would be invasion of privacy. ??

13-Dec-20
My buddy has so many cameras, he thought the one on the line was his. He was changing cards in it.

13-Dec-20
Thread from the dead....!!

Matt

13-Dec-20
My buddy has so many cameras, he thought the one on the line was his. He was changing cards in it.

13-Dec-20
Depends on if the party placing it is Amish.

13-Dec-20
Did I see that right... is this thread from 07?

Fine with camera on the line facing other's property? What about flying drones over other's property?

13-Dec-20
To be honest I think theres already a law on this. If i have security camera on my property and it takes pictures of the neighbor's house across the street also, its legal. I think there is some law protecting this action and its may of went to the high court at one time. If you feel its illegal, make sure you never look at Google Earth.

13-Dec-20
Genesis,

What do you think about the First amendment of the Constitution?

This should answer your original question.

13-Dec-20
I would have a serious problem with the neighbor in Little Lady's situation. Legal or not.

13-Dec-20
I’d rather deal with your scenario... last year I had a number of mature deer showing up in late October on one particular camera. It’s where I removed 4’ of a rock wall resulting in an excellent funnel. Camera was set so I could walk through some hinge cuts (place to prevent movement) and reach around the tree to pull the card. Stand 18yrds from the gap 25’ high. The current activity was typical for pre- rut, just after dark and an hour before shooting light. Cold temps and the aroma of love in the air was all it would take. Go in and pull the card and some bonehead is captured entering the area on foot and exiting 23mins later. Never caught any of those mature bucks on that camera after that. I guess the positive...I was able to confirm without doubt, get sloppy and spread sent, your chance of seeing, yet alone harvesting a mature animal..drastically reduced..

Not to seem confrontational, maybe your “peeping Tom” needs to get more photos of you.

13-Dec-20
First politely ask them to move it. If they don't, put something (on your property) blocking the view onto your property. Maybe a big smiley face on plywood. :)

13-Dec-20
I’m with you, PECO; might be legal - but incredibly bad manners - or it might be on the same legal footing as peering into the neighbor’s home through a pair of binoculars.

Pretty sure that if the Gubmint wanted to put my back yard under 24-hour surveillance, they would need a warrant. The next door neighbors whose windows overlook my yard don’t need my permission to look out their own windows, but taking pictures into my bedroom would be grounds for involving the police.

It’s just too bad that good manners and common sense seem to be so lacking these days.

13-Dec-20
I unknowingly peed in front of a landowners trailcam twice in one night when I went hunting with a buddy to video him. Saw it as I finished my whiz when we left. Wonder if he was impressed

13-Dec-20
I have one on may gate facing the county road? I catch the license plates of all the vehicles that pull up to my gate. I see no issue with it,

oz

13-Dec-20
I don't know but suddenly I want a digiscope!

13-Dec-20
That's what birdshot is for. I was shooting at a squirrel and didn't see your spycam. Oh well......

13-Dec-20
If you have good neighbors, no biggie.

Everything changes on our lives once the season rolls in.

13-Dec-20
Put up a huge cardboard sign, on your property, directly in front of the camera that reads. Be nice to your neighbor!

That will render the camera moot!

• Sitka Gear