sticksender 07-Oct-19
fubar racin 07-Oct-19
GF 07-Oct-19
Tonybear61 08-Oct-19
Hessticles 09-Oct-19
GF 10-Oct-19
Fuzz 11-Oct-19
12-Apr-08
How long should you buck wait one a single lung hit on a fully mature buck? 6 hours or so, you guys have any examples? one lung w/o hitting liver.

12-Apr-08
I believe a deer may be able to survive a one lung hit if no other major parts/arteries are cut.

12-Apr-08
It is possible for a deer to live with 1 lung, especially if it's just clipped. It's not very common though.

I have seen a few deer bed up and live for 4 hours or so with a single lung shot. If you push them they will keep going and be very difficult to recover.

I'd say 6-8 hours of waiting should be fine, but take it slow and look ahead.

12-Apr-08
I agree with woody. I have seen deer fall in sight with a 1 lung shot as well......but i have also seen what I first posted. You have to play it by ear

12-Apr-08
I have one-lunged deer and watched them fall just like a double-lung hit.

I have also lost one-lunged deer. I hit a mature buck about 6-7 years ago, steep angle and I hit him high. Under the spine, so I think I only clipped the top of his far lung. I started tracking and had excellent bright pink blood. Found a bed after 100 yards, filled with pink blood. I figured he was a goner. Over the next 500 yards I found 4 more beds. Blood eventually thinned out to nothing. I know he was one-lunged, because if I had hit over the spine and flesh wounded him he would not have kept bedding like that.

Today I would back out after finding the first bed and come back 6 hours later.

12-Apr-08
I killed a buck that had a 4-blade broadhead scar through both lungs. Perfectly healed.

Lungs are sponges not balloons. It's not the lung damage that kills the deer -- it's bleeding that kills a deer. If you don't cut blood vessels then a lung hit may not be lethal at all - one or both!

12-Apr-08
I had a buck chasing a doe early one morning....he stopped at the scrape 15 yards away broadside....shot was picture perfect....he ran about 50 yards and bedded down. I watched him with binos for over 2 hours...he would lay his head down and I would think...ok, this is it, only to have him raise his head again 3 minutes later and look around.

I backed out of the area and gave him another 3 hours. Then I tried still hunting to his position from the opposite side....I got close, around 30 yards before he jumped up and ran. I couldn't believe it. I backed out again and didn't go after him agian till the next morning. He didn't go but anouther 75 yards...we pushed a yote out of the area but luckily he didn't do any damage yet. He was pretty stiff.

Feild dressing revealed only a one lung hit even though it looked text book....low exit hole.

12-Apr-08
If I hit one in the chest cavity I wait 20 mins. Go check the blood and go from there. If you have good blood that is the main thing. Usually a deer is dead within second of the shot if you hit any real blood vessels(there are a lot in and around the lungs).

12-Apr-08
Lost the biggest deer I have seen while hunting a few years ago, I was rattling the buck ran in almost to the base of my tree, the shot almost straight down I did not see the arrow hit but the buck ran away, I got down my arrow was stuck in the ground and soaked in pink blood. I gave the animal 4 hours and returned with lanterns to discover a huge pink frothy blood trail, 150 yards into blood trailing and still on a good blood trail we decieded to back out. The next morning we got back on the blood trail it ran dry quite fast, after some searching we jumped the deer, a week later I saw him chasing does! I would not take the straight down shot ever again, previously I had killed several animals with this shot, but I think my luck has run out.

12-Apr-08
hyrax; "Lungs are sponges not balloons. It's not the lung damage that kills the deer -- it's bleeding that kills a deer. If you don't cut blood vessels then a lung hit may not be lethal at all - one or both!"

Right on that, but the lungs can "deflate" when the chest wall is cut open. There is virtually no way of NOT drawing blood when you hit the lungs with a broadhead. The lungs are one of the most vascular organs in the body.

12-Apr-08
Two years ago I drilled a buck right through both lungs. It was a perfect shot that we also captured on video. We picked up the trail two hours later and had good blood for about 100 yard, but then it just ran out. I looked for that deer for five days and never did find him. Later on that winter I found his sheds, and then this past summer I got video of him in velvet in august. He lived!!! The broadhead was a muzzy 100 3 blade that just came out of the package the day before so it was very sharp. I guess my point is even the best shots can go wrong, so if you have any doubt leave him lay for a while.

12-Apr-08
I think if you truly have hit only one-lung you should wait a minimum of 6 hours - longer if you can.

I one-lunged a deer with a 30-06 and 180 grain bullets. It put a hole the size of your fist on the bottom of his chest - that is no exageration.

We picked the trail up 6 hours after being hit. A few hours into tracking him we finally caught up to him - he jumped up and ran and fell over dead 150 yards out. It was crazy!

I can't imagine a deer being shot in one lung with a broadhead falling over after 30 yards - unless other lethal arteries had been hit.

14-Apr-08
My ake on lung shots is that when the lung cavity is cut, say on a double lung shot, the lungs can't work. As the diaphragm moves, to cause air to travel into and out of the lungs, because of the puncture, the lungs acnnot expand like they should. Yes, bleeding occurs, however, the animal collapses because of lack of oxygen to the brain. If the area of the lungs is hit where large blood vessels join the lungs, then its a double whammy as severing a large blood vessel acts in a similar way. Think of a body as a pressurized vessel (blood pressure). If a garden hose is nicked or cut moderately, there is still flow to the nozzle (brain). If ths hose is cut very severely of in two, there is no longer any flow to the nozzle or brain. This causes unconsciousness quickly and death follows after the animal drops.

In the case of a one lung hit, the good lung can still inflate/deflate providing the animal with oxygen. Depending on where the in the lung the hit occurs, this will determine the rate of blood loss. I think that a deer can lose 10 - 20% of their blood before they'll lose consciousness. I'm not positive about that number though. Deer that drop in sight for instance do so because of such a huge blood pressure loss (hose being severed), not necessarily that amount of blood lost from the body.

Its a fairly complex process, obviously with variables. Hit them right, it seems simple enough. Unfortunately, hit them bad and we're all left wondering how & why when the "instamatic" picture we often get of the hit seemed to be right on......

>>>>>------------------>

07-Oct-19
I had a single lung / liver, and slight gut hit on what would look to be a perfect hit if I wasn't up so high. I don't know how the rage broadhead missed clipping the heart. We let her go 2 hours on what I thought was a perfect it right behind the shoulder, thanks to a buck bedding down in front of me for 30-45 minutes.

Once we started after her, she had a good blood trail. We found her bedded 400 yards in, and she moved another 50 yards. We gave her some time, then followed her up. She jumped up again, but not moving fast so stayed with her hoping to get a follow up shot in some crazy cover. 50 more yards and we found her dead. The arrow would have taken out the heart and maybe second lung if I had shot 1 or 2 inches higher. The enterance and exit wounds were maybe 3 or 4 inches apart from a 15 yard shot.

A few years ago, I hit a buck in the same location but from 37 yards, and he only ran 30 yards as the arrow took out the heart and both lungs.

It is hard to predict the deer ducking an arrow, and where to place the arrow. You want the arrow to hit where they will be at impact and not where they are when you release the arrow.

07-Oct-19
WTF is up with 11 + year old posts being resurrected?

Much be the 'Search Function' at work

07-Oct-19
Vintage bowsite. It’s an acquired taste

07-Oct-19
“high. Under the spine, so I think I only clipped the top of his far lung. ”

Under the spine will get you BOTH. Every single time. You probably shot through the backstraps and topped the off lung. I have done this myself....

I didn’t have permission to hunt that property the next day, so a follow-up shot was in order. The fatal hit was an inch or two away from the first, but passed under the spine and clipped the descending aorta and she fell right on her nose.

Per the earlier posts.... lung is spung. ;)

If you hit the margins and not much air leaks in from the entrance/exit wounds, the lung won’t collapse much (if at all) and if you didn’t clip anything substantial, it could take a long time for the lung to fill up with enough blood to cause breathing issues.

My brother hit a cow Elk high through both lungs and she stood there for quite a while, got wobbly, lost control of her bodily functions.... and then walked off with the herd. Arrow was coated from end to end with good, red blood. Probably a million to one shot that she didn’t drop where she stood....

So yeah.... if I suspected a single-lung hit, I’d give it as much time as the local scavengers would allow.

07-Oct-19
I would have told him how long to wait but he would have had to wait 11 years for my answer...

07-Oct-19
But at least we know the deer has expired by now! ;)

07-Oct-19
Classic void hit

07-Oct-19

07-Oct-19
If someone could add an essay-writing assistance link, this thread will be complete.

07-Oct-19
Hey I read some kid killed a 19 year old doe a couple years back maybe it’s still alive

07-Oct-19
Nope - not ‘til somebody says an e-bike would have made for a much easier recovery....

LOL

08-Oct-19

Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Deer can be very resilient.

09-Oct-19
Last year I got one lung, hit him Friday night, found him Saturday bout noon still alive and looked fine but backed out, found him sunday morning bout 11 after grid searching and he was still warm.

10-Oct-19
What was the angle & placement? 1 hole or 2?

We all know/suspect things like this can happen, but it’s a lot better when you can make sense of how it went down the way it did

11-Oct-19
CNELK.... "WTF is up with 11 + year old posts being resurrected"

Lmfao! Was wondering the same thing. Hope he found it!

• Sitka Gear