Bowgramps 19-Dec-08
Watts 22-Dec-08
medicinemann 22-Dec-08
Watts 22-Dec-08
Doug Schlabach 23-Dec-08
Driver 23-Dec-08
SDHNTR 23-Dec-08
17-Dec-08
I have probably been on this forum for at least 4-5 years now. Every now and then I will have someone post a remark to one of my threads that goes something like "Money, money changes everything"...or they will refer to the fact that hunting success and hunting skill aren't related at all, if you can afford guided hunts.

First, I will state that hunting success and going on guided hunts are NOT directly correlated. If you don't physically train for your hunt, if you don't practice with your bow, if you don't conduct a reasonable amount of time learning about your quarry, in the majority of cases, you are going home without an animal....and the most amazing thing to me is that I find these parts of the preparation phase to be some of the most enjoyable aspects of the hunts that I have done.

Second, many hunters apparently don't understand this, but unless you live in Alaska (and/or are lucky drawing tags), if you wish to hunt on the NA continent, depending on where you live,in the majority of cases, MORE THAN HALF of the big game animals that you can legally hunt with a bow require a guide by LAW. I live in western NY, and I was required to have a guide for MANY of the animals that I have hunted....DIY is NOT an option. Saying that guided hunts reduce the level of skill required (to be successful)is not only inaccurate...it shows that you do not have sufficient hunting experience to offer a valid debate.

Third, if you love to hunt as much as I do....FIND A WAY....that's it. Find a way to make it work. There was a thread earlier this year that talked about booking plane fares on Wednesday evenings after midnight.... that'll reduce your travel expense. There's some tall drink of water in western NY that'll loan you his arctic gear (if it'll fit), provided you return it in good shape. If you smoke, quit. If you drink, cut back (or quit). Carpool to work, ride a bike to work, walk to work....all of these things will reduce expenses, increasing discretionary income. I submit to you, that if everyone on this forum REALLY wants to hunt all of the North American game as badly as I do, they will find a way. I know this, because I am DOING it. So can you.

Excuses only satisfy the people that use them. Think outside of the box. Emulate successful people. You should be taking advice from people that have done what you wish to accomplish. Do not listen to the naysayers, for they will steal your dream. Surround yourself with excellence....but find a way. Git ur done.

17-Dec-08
Well said Jake! I started saving a while ago for my dream hunt... Dall sheep. I'll do whatever it takes to get there!!!

17-Dec-08
Excellent post Jake! Your willingness to share your knowledge and experiences is a testament to your character. If you're determined to do something, you'll find the way.

Right now I'm trying to find a way for my dad and I to get back to Africa. It's not a matter of "if", just "when".

17-Dec-08
JW and PAGuardian,

With attitudes like those which you both possess, I'll be looking at your successful hunting photos (IF you decide to post them.....LOL) in no time. Git ur done.

17-Dec-08
Nicely put my friend. And 100% true all the way!!!

17-Dec-08
VERY WELL PUT, You are in charge. Make the most of it or live with it. You will get out of it what you put into it. Words to live by.

17-Dec-08
Thanks Jake. Got the PM

17-Dec-08
Truth is, most people just do not want it that badly. They only want it if they can get it without sacrifice. There's a guy at my club that heard about a bear trip I took. Dripping with attitude, his response: "Must be nice..." Meaning must be nice to have the money. This same fellow had a new boat and Harley in his driveway. Geesh. I have no boat, no Harley, etc. I put some of my middle class resources into some decent hunts. Yes, it sure is nice.

17-Dec-08
I couldn't agree more. Success in one arena usually isn't an accident. Likewise, I personally think its more difficult to be successful on a guided hunt versus a DIY hunt. My experiences may be a bit distorted because I am fortunate to live in Alaska, but that didn’t happen by chance either. Some 30 years ago I made the decision to take all my worldly positions and limited funds and make the move. I can only wish the guided hunts I've been on were as successful as the hunts I've put together myself.

17-Dec-08
Great Thread.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

One mans junk is another mans treasure.

My biggest thrill was seeing my 12 yr old son kill a wa.ruffed grouse with his bow at 30 yrds or so.

He now calls elk in for me and packs em out as I butcher.

Milt

17-Dec-08
Now that Jake's hunts are over for now we are seeing another side of this tall drink of water. Like what you have to say!

17-Dec-08
This is great. I hope the guys from my state find this thread. Thanks for the motivation men!

17-Dec-08
Money doesn't change everything, but it sure doesn't hurt.

17-Dec-08
Thanks Jake, I was looking for a little pep talk!

Like eating your elephant, one bite at a time? Something tells me you'll get your elephant hunt in someday.

As far as guided hunts many times that's the only way you can go. I much prefer DIY for several reasons, but you do what you have to do. Anything Canadian or out of country requires it. Mountain lion? Who has a trained pack of hounds in the back yard? Spring bear, you'd best have lots of time and a source of bait in the area. Short on time usually means a guide is the way to go. 5 day DIYs are swimming upstream, success rates plummet. Check with the guys that have gone on guided hunts, very few slam dunks out there.

They are right Jake, you're a lucky guy. Luck being where preparation meets opportunity. From all I've seen you've worked hard at getting both.

CLINK! Here's to the future! (Ahh, I'll cut back on my drinking tomorrow...anybody seen where I laid down my cigar?)

17-Dec-08
Money also makes one hell of a motivator.....

17-Dec-08
Couldn't agree more!

17-Dec-08
Jake - do you have a 9 year old, 7 year old and a mortgage? Single income?

Most people have that, and 2 car payments and credit card debt and much more.

I'm 39 1/2 years old and I know I will likely never sheep hunt. Sucks too - I'd love a go at them, or goats or many other of the big game animals that are out there.

Sure, I could go to the Wrangell's next year if I wanted, take a second mortgage, tell the kids the Buffalo River trip is canceled, ask the wife to get a job maybe ...... but you know, my desire to hunt sheep isn't stronger than the responsibility I have to my family.

I am selfish enough to go to KS every year that I can and elk maybe every other .... and feel guilty doing that

Money restricts and there aint no two ways about it

17-Dec-08
Stealthycat... Some people can do all the hunts you are talking about on very little money. You know how? They drive old vehicles, don't eat out, don't have cable TV, don't have a cell phone, don't have internet or whatever. I, like you have car payments and mortgages but, I know that I made those choices. I could have bought a small trailer and kept the weather off me but, I chose to buy a nice house that I am proud of. We all make choices. I have made choices similar to you.

My next round of choices will be similar to Jake's(I am doing some already). Invest, save, don't buy stuff that I don't need and don't go in debt and use my expendable income on hunting. I plan on doing a lot of hunts by being frugal and smart. It doesn't take tons of money just discipline, which I am slowly learning.

My hat is off to Jake. He is doing what all of us dream of. He had marketable skills, invested wisely and made good decisions. It is paying off for him in a big way.

He earned everything he has.

17-Dec-08
So were there is a will there is a way. Yes so true I have Lymes disease have been on meds since march o8 at times it kicks my butt .My will to bowhunt is so strong I push the pain aside and climb the mountain .Its when im bowhunting i dont have a pain in the world Some guys just like to be unhappy , some look for any excuse they can come up with , If you really love bowhunting like some of us do. You must make sacrifices at times . There are ways to find a way the world is our oyster..instead of living in the gloom get out and enjoy the sunshine louis

17-Dec-08
I would have to agree with stealthycat, BUT, since this is a debate-free thread, I'll keep my blue-collared coments to myself.

17-Dec-08
Many who have the money to go on hunts most likely earned that ability to do so. It was there choice to go into a certain field that allows them to do many things...but somewhere along the way they made sacrifices to get to where they are now. I wish I could go on a guided hunt every year, but I can't...so what do I do...I save and pick my hunts. Over the years I have made contacts which have allowed me to hunt certain animals with a low cost, I'm lucky in that sense as I have an open door policy with friends in WA which allows me to hunt Roosevelt elk every year should I so choose to do so...but I don't because I save to do a hunt someplace different.

Having been through marraige, mortgage, divorce, married again and now paying for college...I know and respect both sides of the coin...but I will never knock a person that has the ability to pay for his hunts...nor will I knock someone who can't.

17-Dec-08
Cazador,

Your talking from the perspective of a young man with lodes of cash lying around the house aren’t you?

From what I know of you, you have everything going for you and a bright future. You’re young, strong, physically fit, motivated, well educated, and you have a good job with a great company. Oh no! I forgot, you're a displaced Yooper, sorry about that!!!

17-Dec-08
He ha ha Bowfreak ,the cats out of the bag i dont have cable tv when i moved over 6months i refused to pay them 2,000 a year for junk ,,I dont even miss it i look at it as one more step towards my goal the super slam , Plus i read , life at full draw wow about 10 times ...lol louis

17-Dec-08
I pretty much live by these words any more and it is a Readers Digest version of what Medicinemann said.

Some things in life never come easy and may never come at all. It is up to the individual to see that it all comes full circle.

You make your own life and are a product of that.

17-Dec-08
Ask medicineman how much he hunted at the beginning of his career? I would bet very little....You reap what you sow. If you plan you can hunt. It might not be a polar bear but it could be a great hunt every couple years.

17-Dec-08
Ask medicineman how much he hunted at the beginning of his career? I would bet very little....You reap what you sow. If you plan you can hunt. It might not be a polar bear but it could be a great hunt every couple years.

17-Dec-08
Stealthycat You want to go on a sheep hunt. Have you chaeked out the raffles that allow you to go on a budget? I know there are several states that have raffles. Oregon is very cheap. With a little effort and some luck your dream could come true.

Jake great thread! I wish I had started earlier in life hunting other states (especially the west). I fell into the same rut Stealthycat has. It has been really inexpensive to do the things I had been dreaming of for most of my life. I did all my hunts DIY and did not break the budget. My success rate is average.

17-Dec-08
Bob,

I'm still trying to shake that "Yooper" part but I did like all those adjectives!

18-Dec-08
Emperor brings up an interesting point (different thread). Some people might prefer to being proficient at elk hunting, or sheep hunting, or perhaps chasing some other species. They funnel their time and energy into refining their talent towards mastering their ability to pursue that one given animal....thus qualifying them for a more intimate understanding, but that understanding may be somewhat restricted in scope.

In his analysis of my initial post, he hasn't considered that there might be other people that have a love of hunting that is every bit as strong as his, but may be satisfied in a different way.

Allow me this tangent for a moment, if you will. In high school, I lettered in multiple sports. I didn't have the muscle mass or mental maturity at that time to be truly outstanding in any one of those sports. However, I was good in all of them....if they had a high school decathalon, that might have worked well for me....I was a jack of all trades, but not necessarily a master of any.

Now come back to the present time.....I am not a slam, bam, thank you type of hunter, either. Anyone that thinks that I am just trying to put a bunch of heads on the wall, has theirs in the wrong place (and it is dark there). I have said a silent prayer for every animal that I have ever put down. I try very hard to make sure that no meat goes to waste. Some of my more satisfying hunting experiences (guided and unguided) involved coming home without filling a tag....but the lessons learned, and the experiences made the journey very enjoyable.

However, there are very few big game animals that can be hunted in the eastern US. So, yes, I must either move out west (or North to Canada), away from family and friends, OR consider hunts where a guide may be necessary. For my lifestyle, I chose the latter.

Unless you hunt an animal year in and year out, how can anyone intimately know them? ...and who says that having an intimate knowledge of one species shows any more passion for hunting than someone who at least has some background for every animal on the continent? Furthermore, what's the definition of intimate? Who is the all knowing that makes that final determination?

I am NOT sorry that I have the means for these hunts. I only wish that more people could enjoy as many opportunities as I have had. Since that day may never arrive for some people (for whatever reason), whenever possible, I have tried to "bring others along"...at least in a vicarious fashion.

I have taken many, many turkeys in my local area. I have been hunting them religiously for 20-25 years. Do I know that species intimately? perhaps. Perhaps it has helped to make me a good enough hunter that those skills can be "transferred" to other animals....especially if I take the time to learn the quarry. To hunt for an animal, to consider taking their life WITHOUT trying to learn about them, without some degree of sacrifice, lessens the experience and from my way of thinking, is nothing less than disrespectful .... both to the animal...and to me. If it is worth doing, it is worth doing with all of my dedication, desire, and passion.

To Stealthycat and x-man....I will simply say that I took on more than a million dollars of debt with very little collateral to get to where I am today. A car payment, a couple children, and a mortgage would have looked damn good about then....and if you wish to debate that point of view, start a new thread. I look forward to comparing and debating....but do you know who likes a whiner? NOBODY. Remember, whether you agree with me or not doesn't matter, for I will be hunting next season, whether it be unguided or guided. I don't mean for this paragraph to sound as strong, or as "confrontational" as it has become..... but I remain convinced that every single person that reads this thread, has within them, the ability to elevate themselves to a higher level. To raise their personal bar to a point where I can share a hunting camp with them....be it guided or unguided.

18-Dec-08
I certainly don't have unlimited resources but what I have done is plan a "big" hunt every other year. This makes it more manageable financially and, as Jake stated, the planning and prep is often as exciting as the hunt.

In 03 it was black bear in Newfoundland, 05 caribou in Alaska(DIY)and 07 was antelope in South Dakota. Right now I'm planning for 09, maybe mule deer or elk. (By the way, if anyone can suggest a good outfitter for those animals, I'd appreciate a PM).

When you just start out in your working career and your family is young, money can be very tight but never say never. Keep hunting locally and plan ahead for the day when you can chase these bowhunting adventures. Good luck in the deer woods.

18-Dec-08
Great thread, Jake.

I love the part where you said you are NOT sorry you have the means to go on your hunts. There are those who can't understand success, so they make excuses. They look at the successful and assume there must have been some nepotism or cheating or -- God forbid! -- luck that got them there. Never skill, work, determination, risk, passion.

I'm afraid we're seeing the end of the self-made man in this country. We tear down those who do in order to make those who don't FEEL better.

Jake, I can't afford the hunts you went on, and I consider myself well-off. But I've been around long enough to know that guys like you have generally paid their dues, and taken risk that I'm not willing to take. (Maybe you stole it, or your daddy gave it all to you, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt -- LOL).

Anyway, my hat is off to you. You know what you want to do, and then go do it. And you should not have to apologize to ANYONE about that.

18-Dec-08
Deertick,

Thanks for the "benefit of the doubt"....and my father died when I was 13. My mother raised three kids on social security and some veterans benefits. No "estate" either, trust me....and I appeared in Family Court as a juvenile more times than most Bowsiters probably have....I simply made the decision to change...and those changes had to come from within.

Like the old Smith Barney commercial....I made my money the old fashioned way, I earned it. I still remember the day that I was two payments behind, and a couple "key" employees quit on the spur of the moment. My "pucker factor" was so severe, I could have stood up from a wooden chair and probably picked it up with me!!

BC,

You nailed it. I didn't go on any hunts during those first few years, and I barely had time to hunt locally, as well. Now, I am making up for that lost time.

18-Dec-08
Jake, those are great words of advice. I try my hardest to live by them. It seems strange that you're some random guy on the internet but I still draw inspiration from what you post here. Thanks.

18-Dec-08
"I'm afraid we're seeing the end of the self-made man in this country. We tear down those who do in order to make those who don't FEEL better."

So very true, what a shame.

18-Dec-08
i could afford to do one hunt per year that is within reason 3-5k. but i also have other hobbies such as horses, fishing, rabbit hunting(beagles)so i really just enjoy being around my home. i have a wife who teaches school, i work for the state i live in and we have a 6 yr old daughter and 6 month old son. i drive a paid for 96 chevy 4x4, my wife drives a paid for 1999 toyota camry we bought both of those used. we skimp and save all we can to make sure our childrens college will be paid for without student loans, that our retirement is funded so she can retire at 48 and myself at 53 and not have to get another job afterwards. she is 31 and im 35. our only debt is a mortgage, no credit cards, car payments etc. my wife and i make sacrifices but they go for my families fiancial future and a family vacation once a year that gets paid for with cash only. this thread kind of goes back to the one that is titled "when should i get a new bow", (see OTTOS reply). maybe that is the only time you should go on an expensive hunt. sorry for the long post.

18-Dec-08
Stealthycat and x-man are right on but due to hero worship some can't bring themselves to see they have valid points.

18-Dec-08
I will agree with most points set forward here but have come across those that have been on "canned" hunts producing huge animals. For me chasing elk in the mountains and coming home completely exhausted and empty handed is a far better feeling than sitting behind a blind wait for a 6 point to walk by on his way to a feeder. As for find a way, you are spot on. If there is something you want bad enough you will find a way to achieve it. I scrap out whatever comes my way to afford to elk hunt every year. It's DIY but I wouldn't have it any other way.

18-Dec-08
Bowgramps,

This isn't about hero worship for pete's sake. In fact, only a part of it is about hunting, it's as much about the never ending pursuit to be the best that you can be, as it is anything else.

18-Dec-08
broadside,

You ascribe your priorities differently. That is perfectly fine. Better by my personal estimation. It all comes down to what matters to you. There are hunts I would like to do that I won't because they just do not scale high enough on the pecking order. In order to do these hunts, I would have to trade off love, joy, time with the family and resources I give to other higher priorities.

Given reasonable expectations, I have opportunities to expand my business to afford pretty much any hunt I want but I make it a point to be there to help with homework, tuck my kids in at night and sleep next to my wife in lieu of the months of absenteeism it would require to be a bigger player in my field.

At the same time, I will not begrudge a fellow who decides to make that trade-off when it starts to pay off for him. In fact, I'd cheer him on so long as he following his heart up the hills.

18-Dec-08
I speak for myself I am 46 and have been bowhunting only 12 years. Why, I was too busy making the means to hunt and feeding my family. In my 20's I had the same attitude towards people with more means than me, but I woke up and set some goals, business and personal. Now I am reaping the benefits of those decisions. Life is full of choices you must live with the ones you make.

18-Dec-08
medicinemann part of your post I agree with. My whole life I have desired to hunt elk and it is something I can't shake. Not having the disposable income to pull this off I will never fulfill that dream. The sad thing is if I could go one time I would TRY not to ever whine about it again. I am sorry I will openly admit that I went off half cocked and it was sour grapes. I just can't explain how bad I want to hunt elk. Again I am sorry.

18-Dec-08
Owl you said it best in a few simple words i couldnt spit out in my long post. it comes down to what your priorities are and some of those hunts dont rank up there enough for me to make the trade offs. now for you guys that go and do all these hunts please keep the stories coming because i do love to read about your adventures.

18-Dec-08
Bowgramps,

Relax. It shows that you have passion! Have you ever applied for an elk tag....in any state? Hell, they even have them in Pa.!! If you want this badly enough, I STILL maintain that you'll find a way to make it happen....and I hope that you do. To have one of those monsters screaming at you, with steam coming out of his nose, and an attitude in his eyes as he approaches within bowrange will leave you with a memory that will NEVER fade.....

Owl,

You brought up another incredibly important point. Priorities. Life is a never ending stream of decisions that we all must make, and our decisions are hopefully guided by each persons priorities. Great point.

18-Dec-08
I have even tried to find work out west so I could move where the elk are. My wife looks at me funny but if I find a job bye bye Ky hello Wapiti!

18-Dec-08
Money restrictions are just another obstacle. If you want it bad enough, you'll cut spending somewhere - be it elk hunting every other year, KS every year, sell a car, quit smoking, put off retirement a year or two, pick up part-time work, etc...

Barring, tragedy or catastrophe, if you cannot change your life style to make it work, it just is not that much of a priority. Period.

Some people have kids that take time and resources away from hunting...Yeah, so what? Would you really have it any other way? There is absolutely no harm in having ANYTHING take priority over hunting.

*Edited*

18-Dec-08
Bowgramps I'll edit my post above since you addressed the grapes.:)

18-Dec-08
Owl I gotcha.

18-Dec-08
Jake ... "priorities" is right. The reason I don't have all that you have is not that I CAN'T, or that I wasn't "lucky" ... it's that I've prioritized things differently.

I own horses. Horses take a lot of money. I like to travel. Travel takes a lot of money. I like spending time with my family, so I don't work as much as I could -- an afternoon off with my boy or my wife once a week is COSTLY.

My afternoon-off each week costs money. It also, in a way, costs a guided elk hunt. Each year. It's worth it, by the way.

Then I open Eastman's and cuss myself out for not having the means to take off more time from work and spend money that I don't have to chase critters like the guys in the magezine that I'm jealous of.

Like I said, I consider myself well-off. It's not that I can't. At 41, I've learned the lesson that I can do anything I damn well please, if I put my mind to it. The reason you don't hear about my Dall Sheep hunt is because I spent that time and money elsewhere -- and enjoyed every minute of it.

Thank God for Bowsite -- I love hearing of hunts like Jake's.

18-Dec-08
Bowgramps, I can go off half-cocked too (even on a debate free thread!) ;)

18-Dec-08
I need to just stay off of here. I know I am not and never will be in the same league (finances) with the rest of you guys but I keep hoping for that one hunt. Then when I read a "Anyone can make it happen" post I get worked up.

18-Dec-08
Couldn't agree more Jake.

I'm 27, married, first kid on the way, and have had an insatiable desire to hunt all of America, Africa, and Asia since I was a little kid.

I'm an attorney, and hope to someday have the funds to go on some hunts, but to be realistic, I have narrowed down my hunting goals big time

My big 3 are. . . I would love to hunt Marco Polo Sheep and Altai Argali in Asia. I consider them to be two of the most majestic, impressive species in the world. Whatever weapon. And I want to own my own whitetail property near my residence.

Then, I hope to take at least one African hunt for plains game, and one elk hunt. I would love to hunt Bighorn or desert rams, but will probably only do so on a draw type hunt

So. . . basically, if I can hunt the two asian sheep and have my own whitetail property, and that's all I accomplish in my HUNTING lifetime, I will consider myself lucky, and my hunting dreams fulfilled

Bake

18-Dec-08
Bake,

Marco Polo!! Argali!!....Now THOSE are aspiring hunts!!.....I just read an article about a Marco Polo hunt. I don't think that I can handle that kind of altitude anymore... at least, not unless I spent a month acclimating, first. I can't wait to read about those hunts.....don't forget the pics!!

18-Dec-08
I can see both sides of the picture. I am very glad for Jake and his passion for the hunt shines. He obviously works hard at what he does and enjoys reeping the benefits. 1. I have a good friend who has lots of money. Hops on a plane at the spur of the moment because he got a phone call about a big buck. Couple of days later he takes off and is dropped off to sit in the pre-hung stand. Several very nice bucks come to the corn pile to feed before the monster shows up. Only problem was that he forgot his release and was scared to take the shot and was forced to watch this (Boone & Crocket) buck feed for over 40 minutes with no shot. He came back home empty. He had the best time and I have to respect his choice of not taking a bad shot. This same guy does DIY hunts and has taken some nice bucks, but he also has lots of money and does trips I can only think about. I'm not at all jealous of him but proud for him because he has worked for everything he has. (I knew him when he was poor and I use to help him when he was in need.) 2. Another friend of mine is dirt poor and has been hunting the same buck on the same property that he has permission to hunt for three years now. He has picked everyones brain to find out what he could do to get this buck he is almost obsessed with. He got him today and is on his way to my house now to show me. (A nice ten pointer) I am very glad for both of them for having the opportunity to enjoy hunting. Believe it or not they are both on cloud nine right now, but in very different ways. Just Hunt!!!

18-Dec-08
bowgramps why dont you just send in you 10.00 every year and try to get drawn for a kentucky elk tag. i know the odds arent the greatest but hey its surely is within your budget to try isnt it?

18-Dec-08
I have entered the Ky draw every year they have had it but no luck.

18-Dec-08
DC,

Any chance that you can post the photo of your buddies 10 point?

Bowgramps,

I completely forgot that Ky has elk!! Do they give preference points? If so, how many do you have?

18-Dec-08
They give no preference points.

18-Dec-08
Do you apply out west for elk tags?

18-Dec-08
This thread reminds me of Jon Krakauer's book "Into Thin Air" about a Mt. Everest disaster.

In his book, which is a true story, he talks about one of the climbers on his team who was a Post Office worker from Washington or Oregon. This man had attempted Everest once before, but wasn't able to gain the summit. His desire to attain the summit of Everest was so great that he worked a second job, quit smoking, and scrimped and saved to be able to go again.

He ended up losing his life on Everest, but that's not the point. The point is that the blue collar man made it happen. And climbing Everest is an extremely expensive endeavor. In fact I don't think any hunt in the world is even close to being as expensive, except for Markhor and some of the argali in Asia

18-Dec-08
No I have not. I was told that the odds are unbelievable to get drawn. Anybody need a camp boy next season? Just let me off every other day to hunt. LOL

18-Dec-08
Bowgramps,

I was told that the odds of drawing a sheep tag were unbelievable too.....but someone has to draw....and I did - you can too. If you start to apply this year, someday you WILL get drawn. In the meanwhile, start focusing on a plan to allow you enough time off that you can give the elk hunt your best effort for several days.

18-Dec-08
Bowgramps Don't overlook the OTC elk tags in Colorado. Last year my son and I tangled with three seperate bulls in one day. Either sex tags are 506.00 cow tags 256.00. I've hunted Co. three years running and have never failed to get into elk and I'm about as much of a novice as you can get. You can also apply for a mulie tag (300.00) as a bonus. I drew a mulie tag on my first try and killed a nice little buck. You can do it man! Go get 'em! Believe!

J@ckrabbit

18-Dec-08
J@ckrabbit that is what I am looking at. Would like to have someone to kinda show me the ropes though.

18-Dec-08
"I need to just stay off of here. I know I am not and never will be in the same league (finances) with the rest of you guys but I keep hoping for that one hunt. Then when I read a "Anyone can make it happen" post I get worked up."

Bowgramps I assure you that you are not the least fortunate one here. I am a single father of three boys that I have custody of and I have a job that only grosses me about 38K a yr. I WILL be hunting moose in the next couple yrs !! and there ain't no moose here in oregon. SO where there is a will there IS a way.

18-Dec-08
orarcher good luck on your moose hunt. I would say more but wouldn't want to lose a star. 38K a year and I could hunt anything in the world I'm interested in.

18-Dec-08
bowgramps get yourself out of the rut you are sound like you are living in. this poor pitiful me thing has got to stop. i dont know your situation(ex: income, family status etc) but if you chanel some of that negative energy into some positive motivation you can change your whole dynamics. life is to short to short to be depressed, so what if you have to save for the next 5 years to go on an elk hunt, at least you will have a goal to work towards. now my personal belief is if you do have a family and you all are stuggeling and you take on extra work and so forth just to support an out of state elk hunt them you should not being going on one anyways, please dont jepordize your family in order to satisfy your own agenda.

18-Dec-08
broadside your right you don't know my situation. I would never harm my family to hunt but truth be told I have sacrificed to the point that I resent it. I have always done without and right or wrong I feel it's my turn. Your right I am negative but trust me I have a right to feel like this maybe not to hold on to it but trust me I have done for and without for the sake of my family. I do the right things but there is no rewards.

18-Dec-08
Bowgramps....maybe the "Right" thing to do is take care of yourself for a change.

18-Dec-08
I think Owl said it best just above.

I believe the main difference betwwen those that just dream and those that actually live their dream is simply setting a goal and making it happen by making the right choices(hard work and sacrifice).

If you are just reacting to what life puts in front of you and not looking beyond what tomorrow will bring it is not likely to bring you very much.....

If you make a plan and work to make it happen you can really enjoy to the fullest the opportunities we have in this wonderful country we all share...

Not saying everybody can be rich but I believe anybody that really wants to can hunt some great big game(Eastern and Western) every now and then.

Anyway, my 2 cents..

18-Dec-08
Trophy8 that's how I feel.

18-Dec-08
Bowgramps,

One day real soon, lord willing and everything goes right, I hope to have a farm in Iowa and retire from my job here in Pa, with in five years. Start saving your money for a plane ticket and some groceries. If you can do that in five years I may just have a place for you to have an awesome hunt of a life time. Also start applying every year for a preference point with the Iowa DNR but, just buy the point do not put in for the draw. Cost is only $12. I can't make it happen for you but, I sure would be willing to try if you're willing to do your part and that includes looking me up in five years. Oh yeah, bow only. Now it is up to you to make the rest happen.

Iowabound at work

18-Dec-08
Bowgramps,

By the way, the most recent edition of The Huntin' Fool started discussing the state by state info for the 2009 season. See if you can locate/borrow a copy. Maybe there is something in there that'll work for you...as far as a lottery draw is concerned.....it can't hurt to check it out....

18-Dec-08
rupescott sounds like a plan.

18-Dec-08
Ok Jake and thanks again.

18-Dec-08
Good thread Medecineman. I agree 100%.

More times than not when my friends call I'm still in the office working at 9:00pm while they're out having fun. But when it comes time to committ to a good hunt it's always. "I don't have the cash. Must be nice."

I have a wife, kids, mortgage, car payments, etc but I also work effectively and more than most of my friends to be able to afford it all. I made sacrifices in my earlier life that some friends did not and now they are paying off.

I have friends that will drink away a "trophy out of state bowhunt" in a bar in a matter of a few months. The same friends complain about not having any money to go hunting. It's all about choices.

Quinn

18-Dec-08
Bowgramps-

I also encourage you to look into the draws-many states let you get in "the game" with little cost. The odds can be high but much better odds than the lottery- and someone has to draw.

(Heck, it even happened to me as I drew a Wyoming moose tag in 2005 and had the hunt of a lifetime and took a great bull to boot!)

Good Luck and Good Hunting!

Clay

18-Dec-08
Those thing that hold us back are all a function of choices/priorities - kids, limited education, not maximizing your earning potential, single earner household, newer cars, lots of stuff, bigger house, coffee/cigarettes/beer/eating out habits, etc. Those are your decisions and that is fine.

That does not justify crying foul that you cannot do some or all of the things jake has done, when you haven't made the effort to sacrifice all the things he has sacrificed.

18-Dec-08
Bowgramps, I'll personally shw you the ropes if you want to go on the kelly elk hunt. It would be my pleasure.

$1,200-$1,500 should be all you'd need to save up. Thats $4-$5 per day till we go hunting in colorado!!!

Guys here would be more then helpful i'm sure in giving you all the advice you'd need to have a great time..and hopefully,,,,harvest!!

18-Dec-08
Bowgramps,

See what I mean? In the last paragraph of the initial post in this thread, I suggested that you surround yourself with excellence. Rub elbows with people that have accomplished what it is that you want to do. Find people that reinforce your desire to achieve a dream, instead of NOT daring to believe.....and look what has happened. You've already gotten some leads on how you will make this happen for you. Hell, you've already got an invite to Iowa!!

18-Dec-08
Matt have we met? I don't understand how you can know what I have sacrificed.

18-Dec-08
To each his own, be it do-it-yourself or guided, high dollar hunt or a budget hunt. Not everyone has the same means....or even available time for that matter.

I think the underlying theme here....is if you don't set your mind and do it, you will eventually die....still saying "someday".

I was forty before I saw the Rocky Mountains. I was guilty of being a "someday" kind of guy for a couple decades before that. Not any more.

Life is too short.

18-Dec-08
Serb I thought of that but didn't you say that you're not willing to help anyone? I saw that on the hunt you were putting together. You do know that every animal I have killed isn't Pope and Young quality right? LOL

Seriously though isn't Kelly doing the hunt by a draw system?

18-Dec-08
"Hell, you've already got an invite to Iowa!! "

Well if thats all it takes...let me say this.

I'm a poor immigrant from serbia and i have very little in life. My construction biz only made 60% of the gross revs it usually does, and my family has had to eat patatoes from the garden now for three straight months. I have holes in all my shoes, i don't have any more socks, and my pants dont't fit anymore. My trucks are all getting older, the bucks on my lands are too small, and there's not nearly any left from them all dying off from CWD. My wife is in the process of selling one of my livers, my hair is grown and cut to sell to wig makers, and my dogs are looking more and more like our meal for tomarrow.

Can i please come and shoot a monster class buck at your farm in IOWA too, I won't eat much, and i'll ground hunt for i sold all my stands to pay for a box of instant oatmeal.

thanks in advance...when can i come?

bowgramps....talk to kelly. I have a feeling he'll make an exception for you to go.

:^)

18-Dec-08
Serb,

Just how many livers do you HAVE?!! LMAO!!

18-Dec-08
LMAO medicinemann,

Serb, I've heard you're really not that good of a shot, so I'll have to pass, thanks though.

18-Dec-08
There is no doubt we all can do more than we think. Jake has earned his money and his chance to play. I do believe that we all are not able to do anything we want. Not everyone can be the boss cause the world needs workers too. For every Sam Walton there are many many failures. I work in a job that pays my bills and will allow me to retire at 46 years old next summer. My pay........under $50,000 per year. I spend $4000 a year to go west every year and hunt deer, elk, antelope, etc DIY. It can be done. No smoking, no drinking etc. Will I ever get the super slam. No, its not possible for me but I can set realistic goals. I want a desert sheep. It is doable if I was to stop going west every year and in 15 years I would have my hunt paid for. But I'm not willing to pay that price. I could be dead before tomorrow morning so I will enter the AZ and NV drawing and cross my fingers knowing its not going to happen...but maybe, just maybe... I have been blessed with a CO sheep and Goat tag, a MT sheep and Moose tag over the years so it can happen to any of us...I have many more dream hunts but I keep them realistic...I will never do a super slam but I will hunt for something, somewhere, this fall.

18-Dec-08
I am not having a draw system on who goes hunting with Serb and I for elk!1 I have asked otheres to come up with a way to plan this trip.

Bowgramps- you are welcome to go on this (hunt of a lifetime) Heck you dont live that far from me and did you read what Serb said?? It would be his honor to show you the ropes)

Now just get ready to be a laughing fool because Serb and I have been talking on the phone quit a bit and I can tell you it is going to be a hoot of a good time.

SO for my hunt if you want to go George you are the 4th man. Its your choice. So now I will have 2-4 spots left open if you choose to go.

Just let me know. And If I am driving out I would be paying for the petro anyways so you wont even need to spend the cash for that!!!

Sounds like the hunt of a lifetime may be in the works!!

I do know one thing for sure I am funny as hell in camp LOL :)

18-Dec-08
bowgramps i wasnt trying to come off as a jerk at all(im kentuckian as well) i was just trying to use my words as a motivator for you to firmly set the goal to elk hunt. and if you have sacrificed for your family and they know that dont hesitate to talk to them and let them know how you feel and that this hunt is a passion for you. sorry if i came off rude on my prior post wasnt my intention at all. good elk hunting to you.

18-Dec-08
broadside forget about it. Kelly count me in if I am going to ever go I have to commit.

18-Dec-08
Thanks Jake for allowing the "cream" to come to the top. You guys have showed what a bunch of classy guys you all are!!!

18-Dec-08
Bake: Get the hunting land close to home first. You will never regret it. You will enjoy it along your journey and may see your son and or daughter kill their first whitetail deer there. I bought my first hunting land (41 acres) in 1984 at age 30. My son killed his first whitetail with a bow there at age 12 (I will never forget that day). Twenty-five years later I am retired and the land which I still own is worth 20 times the initial investment(85 miles north of NYC). Sounds like you are in a good place at only 27 years old. Enjoy the present but "Plant" seeds now and 20 years from now the garden will be bountiful.

Jake uses the word "Journey" it took me too long to forget about the destination and ENJOY the journey. I am getting to that point and that is when life is good! Right on Jake!!

18-Dec-08
Medicineman check out the Ten Point Down thread I just posted.

18-Dec-08
DC,

Nice buck! Few things are more satisfying to me than achieving a goal that has required a significant amount of dedication.....

18-Dec-08
And to think i started my hunting year plan out wanting to go elk hunting with the vets.....boy has that changed now...lol

If someone from colorado would now please step up and help our group out with some knowledge and leg work....please.

I don't want to impose on my good friend (another bowsiter...coloradobulls) who helped us out again. We really need someone who's willing to say...."go here" and give up some inside info on the elk in that area.

did i already say please!!!! lol

18-Dec-08

SERBIANSHARK's embedded Photo
SERBIANSHARK's embedded Photo
Kelly's army going elk hunting...lol

hey gramps....yes, thats your new nickname, show us a photo of you if you can.

18-Dec-08
how come I have a feeling there is going to be a pict of brad pitt or george clooney LOL That would be funny right there

18-Dec-08
emperor-- I have a thread that reads (who wants to DYI elk with Kelly?)

I have a question about Colorado?? How soon can you purchase a license. And when you do I assume you have to choose a unit??

18-Dec-08
Medicineman sent a PM

18-Dec-08
Kelly,

I returned one to you.

19-Dec-08
Bowgramps,

A Colorado resident may be able to give you more details than me, but......

When I bowhunted in Colorado last year, I needed to present proof of having attended a certified hunter safety course (maybe archery too, I don't remember). Make sure that you find your certification card...once you present it, Colorado will actually enter in their records, that you are "certified", so you won't need to present it on future hunts. You'll actually have a CID number......

19-Dec-08
Jake I have the Hunter Safety Course card but Ky sees no need for the NBEF program so I am out of luck there. I will contact the Colorado game dept to find out. Thanks.

22-Dec-08
Geez, how did I miss this one!

Jake,

Great points made!!!

It wasn't that long ago that I found myself deep-sixing the paradigm of "I'll never be able to hunt all the things I want because I'm not rich" to adopting the one of "I must be rich so I can hunt everything I want" and it has made all the difference in the world!

My dreams are huge. My goals are big. My drive is tremendous, as is most peoples if they would realize it. Key is to quit going through life with your eyes half shut. Best,

Watts

22-Dec-08
The toughest part is learning how to BELIEVE.

22-Dec-08
Dream big. Start small. Be true to yourself. Seek out relationships with the successful at what you're aiming to achieve.

Hardest part: Recognizing and releasing yourself from the negative things in your life that hold you back.

23-Dec-08
This is the best thread I have ever read on Bowsite. Attitude is Everything. This thread can be used to change attitudes to the better. Good job Medicinemann and everyone else.

Doug

23-Dec-08
Money has nothing to do with success after all aren't diy hunts just as successful as guided hunts? Oh wait...never mind.

23-Dec-08
AMEN brother. Excellent post.

• Sitka Gear