Shortstick 08-Jun-09
Watts 08-Jun-09
howler 08-Jun-09
bowman 22-Aug-17
planebow 24-Aug-17
Killbuck 25-Aug-17
BOX CALL 25-Aug-17
06-Mar-09
There aren't a lot of rattlesnakes in the area I hunt but they are there. What would be a good way to keep them out of your blind. i have seen and heard of others who have climbed in there blind in the dark and only to find a rattlesnake wants to spend the day there to.

06-Mar-09
howler,

There's nothing you can do, other than to seal your blind to keep them out. If you're worried, take a light and a stick to probe around before you get in. Odd's are slim to none you'll ever see one in your blind or surroundings. (knock on wood!!!!)

06-Mar-09
Set up two blinds and invite Pat LeFemine to sit in the other blind. All the snakes will head towards his blind.....

06-Mar-09
Ok Jake, now thats funny!!!

06-Mar-09
That is funny. If I had been in a blind and a black mamba crawled over my shoe, one of several different things might have happened. . . .

I would have panicked and been bitten, probably multiple times,

I would have panicked and escaped screaming into the surrounding bush, never to be seen again,

I would have panicked and had a heart attack and died,

I would have panicked and frozen, and remained like that until they found me, with a mamba draped over my shoulders, completely white hair, and alive, but mumbling and not competely sane anymore,

I would have panicked and grabbed the snake and ripped it's head off with my teeth, then run screaming into the bush,

Basically, I would have panicked

Bake

06-Mar-09
This year during antelope season, I kept hearing a rustling noise outside my DoubleBull. I finally looked out the window to see two large Mojave Rattlesnakes in the process of making more Mojave Rattlesnakes about three feet from me! There was nothing to keep them from crawling under the edges of the blind. When I tried to get rid of them, they just went under an immovable object that was a few feet from my blind. I was VERY nervous watching the edges of the blind after that! Eventually I heard the noise again and they were back. I had to finally chase each one down and kill it, since there was nothing I could do to assure they wouldn't come to share my shade with me!

Marvin

06-Mar-09
Marvin,

Hopefully that was AFTER.....right?

What a way to go - (sorry, couldn't resist).

06-Mar-09
I was rifle hunting for antelope about 12 years ago in Wyoming, crawling on my belly to get to a spot where I could shoot a buck. In front of me was a two and a half foot long prairie rattler.

What did I do? Pushed him over to the side with my rifle, and kept on going.

THat works with a prairie rattler. If it was a diamondback, I would have gotten up and blasted him immediately.

06-Mar-09
Keep a gallon can of gasoline outside the blind. If you come into the blind, and a snake has taken up residence in it, you douse the blind with the gas can, and set it ablaze. Move about 30 feet away, and set up another blind, and resume your hunt.

Seriously, though. Didn't somebody make a snake repellent at one time?

06-Mar-09
Wear snake boots and don't lie down.

06-Mar-09
DO WHAT I DO AN MAKE THE GUIDE GO IN FIRST

06-Mar-09
I have to admit that I've never been a big fan of poisonous snakes and while there are times that I envy you guys who get to hunt in warmer temperatures for longer periods during the season, I am truly grateful that the closest poisonous snakes (Massasauga rattle snake) to my hunting area are 7 hours northwest (Georgian Bay area) and 8 hours west (Windsor, Ontario) of me.

06-Mar-09

Bill in MI's embedded Photo
Bill in MI's embedded Photo
Not possible in this day and age given the proliferation.

06-Mar-09
hehehe

06-Mar-09
"NOW" that is a REAL SNAKE!

Some company makes a Jug of Stuff....Snake Repellent...and I think Wa-Mart carrys it. I bought some a few years back and used it! I Hate ALL Snakes! This snake stuff is probably in the Garden Section!

06-Mar-09
you guys are going to make pete mad with that photo

06-Mar-09
Bill great job

06-Mar-09
Moth balls Snake hate them

Alos leave 2 snake trpas in when you coem back throw the heavy snake teaps away

Gibsons dept Store on Main St in Kerrville TX 78028 Sells snake repellants

Tink

06-Mar-09
Tink,

What are trpas? Snake traps? tarps? I assume that teaps are traps or tarps as well? right? Throw them away? Are these things disposable?

I think that the mothballs sound like a good idea....not too sure about the trpas....er....teaps...er...whatever it is that I alos throw away when I coem back!! LOL

Jake

07-Mar-09
Tink, lay off the #69, its makin' you type weird.

07-Mar-09
tick repellents work,, put in and outside around your blind, burns the snakes bellies

07-Mar-09
I think the snake "traps" are the glue traps you can buy for mice and rats. I know I bought glue traps for the mice that come into my garage and they sell larger ones that say "snake trap." Maybe?

07-Mar-09

Earl E Nove...mber's embedded Photo
Earl E Nove...mber's embedded Photo
Don't know if it will work for rattlers, but this thing helps me control the garter snakes around the yard

07-Mar-09
Snake trap are cardboard boxes snakes crawls in and cant get out and cant bite

Moth balls work best

Tink

07-Mar-09
Well, with St. Patrick's Day coming up, banishing them may work. Seems to have done wonders in Ireland. =D

Personally, I think it was the bagpipes. Drove off many a man and beast. (Originated in Ireland.)

07-Mar-09
They will not bother you if you carry a yellow flashlight that is turned on but you have to carry it fast.

07-Mar-09
Lots of funny answers here, like; carry a yellow flashlight fast, banishing them, make the guide go first, and my favorite from "Bake" who can panick in the most memorable ways.

But seriously, if you use mothballs, don't plan on seeing any deer if they are downwind. There is some anecdotal evidence that mothballs work, but it is not supported by any credible pest control or wildlife managers. It may repel, squirrels, other rodents, and some birds, which are prey to snakes, thus decreasing the likelihood of snakes hunting inside your blind. Magpies love mothballs when they can't find ants to rub on themselves to kill mites. Yes, they fly down, grab the moth balls in their beaks and rub it all over their feathers. Quite a fun behavior to watch.

07-Mar-09
Get yourself a mongoose on a leash.

07-Mar-09
Get yourself a mongoose on a leash.

08-Mar-09
"I was rifle hunting for antelope about 12 years ago in Wyoming, crawling on my belly to get to a spot where I could shoot a buck. In front of me was a two and a half foot long prairie rattler.

What did I do? Pushed him over to the side with my rifle, and kept on going. "

Wow. You got some balls. I have ran into some praire rattlers on the plains of colorado, and they scare me. I had one coiled up under my front truck tire. Went to unlock the door and had him strike at me. They are fast too.

08-Mar-09

Meat Grinder's Link
Lowe's carries a snake repellent, too. May be the same brand. I guess the question would be whether the repellent has a smell that would spook game?

09-Mar-09
bury the edges of your blind several inches and make sure you are zipped up tight. Keep an eye our for rodent holes that snakes may use.

I also give the blind a good shake before crawling in. I don't know if this works but my theory is that one will hopefully rattle first.

09-Mar-09
Jeez, what a bunch of wusses! LOL You'd think this was a major problem by how worried some of you are. Just look around before you get in. If one tries to join you during the day, just chase him out or kill him. They're not man-eating-monsters by any stretch of the imagination.

09-Mar-09
In the old virginia hunting cabin I used to stay in during the summer months, we used WD-40 sprayed inside and out alond the walls, corners and rafters. Which did a great job, but as soon as the snakes moved out, the mice moved in with a vengence. But we decided that finding a timber rattler wrapped around our toes in the morning was not an adventure any of us wanted.

19-May-09
It will also keep your "Old Virginia Hunting Cabin" from squeeking ;-)

19-May-09
Follow the "castle doctrine" and kill the intruder. You have long sticks with razor blades on the end. Just reach out and cut its head off.

19-May-09
Slightly off topic, but this thought always occurs to me while antelope hunting and tent camped in the sage... What would you do if you awoke in the morning and found a rattler coiled up sleeping on your bag or in your tent? Kind of hard to unzip the bag, then the tent flap, etc, etc. to get out of his way... seems like a nice warm sleeping bag would make a cozy place for a snake to take refuge on a cool night...just think of the complications!

23-May-09
have not had rattler problem by blind, but last year maybe 2 ago friend and i had bull/gopher snake cruize by blind. he was coming in so i moved him, and forgot him. 15 minutes later i hear squeal and out of corner of eye see chipmunk fly out of a knot in old dead oak with bull snake hot on his tail. oh ya knot whole was about 8 ft in air absolutely hilarious, chipmunk never had a chance. we left blind and took about 50 photos. i have had many snakes as pets, sometimes not so friendly pets, but dang this was cool to watch. hopefully you all can have this kind of snake experience by blind.

23-May-09
we used to have a blind we named the "snake pit" every mornig iut had a new one in it. you just got there a little early adn we left a snake stick ther so we could get them out. always started your day of wiht a rush, no need for coffee.

other than that one in15 years with at least 3 blinds out haven't had another one in any of them.

23-May-09
If you build em on an ant hill you won't have to worry about snakes.

A guy I know came back from an antelope hunt a few years back and he was miserable. He looked like he had chicken pox.

Guide dropped him off at a blind and he got all settled in when they hit him. Said he was covered with red ants, head to toe. Like an orchestrated attack, they never bit till they were all over him. Said he had to rip off his clothes and climb in the water tank to get rid of all them. Screaming all the way.

Did get his lope but said it was one miserable trip.

23-May-09
Never had a problem with snakes, had a badger eyeball some fried chicken i was eatin for dinner once.

24-May-09
LOL..I can't help but think to myself....."these guys are afraid of snakes....but want to go on a griz hunt someday" ?

I can't stop myself from laughing about a hunt i was on in the therofare, that had me sleeping in my own huge outfitter tent.....with a loaded 44 mag across my chest......with 2-3 huge grizzly bears 20-50 feet outside my tent door....EACH frickin nite for a week!!! I think some of you guys might not have gotten a wink for a full week. rotflmao

What did ziek call some of you wussies. lol

Snakes...omg....lol

Some guys here cheer and clap out oud for Jake on that Polar Bear hunt he talked about. You should clap and cheer i might add, because if it was some of you guys on that hunt.....when that bear charged....i think you'd have tossed the bow to the side and hide inside a seal hole if you could have found one. But as i recall ....my man Jake not only shot once....but after shooting every arrow he had....he ran around like i a blind squirrel trying to find any arrow that missed it's mark, to shoot that arrow again into the pinyatta of a bear.

Now thats my kind of hunter !!!!!

What do most of you guys do for a living????? Accountants? Lawyers? Counselors? I just don't see too many guys complaining about snakes that Rodeo, Ranch, Do construction, or any of the bone breaking work complain about the little things of a hunt.

Jakes an exception...lol.....Pat too....lol

Ballbustin 101 by serb...he he

24-May-09

city hunter's embedded Photo
city hunter's embedded Photo
serb i agree , stay out of the kitchen if you cant stand the heat ,, one should not fear , just respect , fear is our worst enemy it will play with your mind ,,

24-May-09
SWEET PIC Lou!!!!lol

07-Jun-09
When you leave at night release some frogs in the blind. When you comeback in the morning and don't hear the frogs, don't go in!

08-Jun-09
Moth balls will keep snakes away. They might even work as a good cover scent too.

08-Jun-09
I saw a snake Saturday while fishing with my daughter. I said, "Look, honey, a snake." She about ran me over trying to get closer look at it...

A few years ago, I opened the large barn-style doors on my shed. A black snake must have been taking a siesta between the top of the door and header because he darn near fell on me when I swung the door open. My first reaction was, "Good, we have too many mice in the shed."

When I told my wife, who regularly goes into the shed BTW, she laughed at me and said, "I hope he sticks around because we are getting mice..."

99.999% of the snakes we encounter actively benefit us and pose no threat.

08-Jun-09
Thermocell? Mothballs dont work. Snakes have a hard time prying their wings apart to smell them.

08-Jun-09
If it's a really good blind just put me in it. I'll take care of any snake problems you got. Might not see any antelope for awhile, and might smell a gut pile, but hey, NO MORE SNAKES!

SERB,

Again, you've proven to us that you're a man of many talents: Simultaneously kissing two butts all the whilst patting yourself on back! Heh heh heh!

08-Jun-09
Well thanks for the info guys, I see some of our hero's really don't know much about hunting antelope out of a blind. You see you get there b4 day break and they are hard to see in the dark. most times its fairly cool in the am and the snakes are a tad stiff and as it warms wahalla we have a snake in the blind. I have used my arrow to lift them out. but was wondering if there was an esier way, looks like nobody really knows

22-Aug-17

bowman's Link
If you're trying to get rid of snakes take a look at the snake repellent reviews

24-Aug-17
I don't know how true it is but I have heard that a snake will not crawl over a hemp rope.

25-Aug-17
Sprinkle course ground black pepper around perimeter. Dozens of snakes would get in my rod lockers on my boat. Pepper kept them completely out.

25-Aug-17
Seen rooster cogburn put rope around his campsite to keep snakes away.the rope thing must work.

• Sitka Gear