Buffalo1 29-Oct-09
thesquid 16-Dec-09
fuzzy 21-Dec-09
Sage Buffalo 21-Dec-09
Florida Mike 21-Dec-09
MRmich 06-Jan-10
fuzzy 06-Jan-10
30-Mar-09
Does anyone have any mutton recipes you would be willing to share. Have you ever eaten a Mouflon ram?

31-Mar-09
ttt

01-Apr-09
Yea .... You know how that thing smelled when you walked up to it? Well thats what your house will smell like and what the meat will taste like. I've tried it a dozen different ways with the same results. Never again.

Sorry

01-Apr-09
IMO waterfowler is right. Tried eating a few. Best way is shepherd's pie, heavily spiced meat loaves and chilis, or stews. Even better, use it for coyote bait, and go kill some tasty groundhogs, squirrels, or crows to eat (see recipie thread) ;-)

01-Apr-09

Panhandle Bob's embedded Photo
Panhandle Bob's embedded Photo
Tried it too, Yuck.

01-Apr-09
it's not bad. lead off with a rolled carp ball fondue and a little pig intestine eggroll then dive into the mutton and it is a feast fit for a king!

01-Apr-09
actually Bou, I much prefer a good carp fillet or some carp-salad (not bad when prepared right) and chitlins are good eats... but that mutton, uhg!

01-Apr-09
No way guys, Cod tongues are the Bomb!

01-Apr-09
Well in my experience I have found that any of the exotics that had wool coats tasted like S%#* But the ones that had a hair coat actually weren't to bad. Used the best (thin) cuts and soak in buttermilk and then egg wash put in 50/50 mix of flour and corn starch and pan fry in olive oil. I have done several different exotics this way and it worked well. Good luck !!

01-Apr-09
I hate the stuff, but had a fella in camp cook one that turned out darn well. He cut into very, very small pieces, and fried it with bacon - dumpped the whole thing into a pot and stewed with cabbage potatoes and carrots for the better part of the day. . . .actually turned out pretty decent, I was a skeptic.

01-Apr-09
Try Haggis. If you don't know what it is....do a web search.

01-Apr-09
Mouflon isn't bad. A little oily. I've had old rutting sagebrush muleys that were much worse. I like to make link breakfast sausage with it because it's oily. Make sure you trim off all the fat, that holds most of the bad flavor. I'll add a bit of pork fat to it. Not much in this world a bit of pork fat can't improve.

I don't really have any recipes, I usually wing it. Garlic powder, ground pepper, whatever I have on hand and strikes me. With sausage you want to use dried flavorings and spices, although a touch of molasses worked really well one time when I ran out of brown sugar. (I like just a hint of sweetness to my sausage)

I use natural casings, thoroughly smoke them and freeze them. You can use plenty of spices and flavors when smoking because the smoke flavor tends to be overpowering.

Now and then we get an old nasty feral billy goat that is pretty strong. One trick to see how gamey something will taste and if you even want to use it is to cut off a small chunk of fat and sizzle it up on a small fry pan. Most of the strong flavor will be in the fat and you will smell it right away and see if you want to go any farther.

01-Apr-09
Haggis... sadly to some "offal=awful" which to others means waste!

I was raised on "rationed mutton" the smell was always much worse than the taste!

Colonial limeys [granny] made Curry dishes out of Mutton! Biryani anyone?

Cooking away from the house helps.grin

01-Apr-09
I've pit bbq it and the ewes are very good, but the rams were always like a pair of old boots in taste and texture.Be sure to trim all the fat off on the ewes though. Ben

01-Apr-09
If you smoke it or cut it up and slow cook it in stew, its perfect.

Other than that, its kinda terrible.

01-Apr-09
How does Catalina Goat compare with mutton?

01-Apr-09
Go with young goat, and it's great slow smoked. Old billy is kinda hard to get over. The sheep we have had are mostly mouflon BTW.

Those of you who have had dall (AK not TX), or bighorn, does it have the same mutton flavor? I hear people rave about it. . . are you just starving from freeze dried food, or is it really much better.

02-Apr-09
Txnrog, I've eaten a couple of bighorns (parts, at least) and I really can't rank them up there with the great meats. As you allude to, they may be the greatest meal ever over a fire in BC.

Boo-bond may have it right. I saw a road killed rock chuck last Sunday, during a snowstorm, that I just couldn't get slowed down enough to pick up, but if I had got it and cooked it, the rest of the years barbecue events would be something go look forward to.

11-Apr-09
Awe come on guys, it's not all that bad--here's how I cook it up for my hunters when they ask me to!! Hope this helps.....ENJOY!!

**Large Roasting Pan

** Hind ¼ or Shoulder (bone in preferably)

**Pour O.J. over entire roast—about 1” in bottom of pan

**Coat both sides of roast liberally with: *Garlic Powder *Cajun Spices *Lemon Pepper

**Put a layer of apple sauce over the top of the Roast

**Sprinkle Brown-Sugar over the top of the Roast

Tightly seal the Roasting Pan with Aluminum Foil and then put the lid on. Bake at 175 degrees for 10-14 hours or until the meat easily falls off of the bone (depends on size). If you are going to start with a frozen ¼, you might need to bake at 350 for the last 2 or 3 hours. After you take the meat off of the bone, put it in a separate bowl and pour some of the juice from the pan over the meat; this will really add to the flavor. I serve it with some White Country gravy over the meat –hope you enjoy it. If you have any questions give me a holler.

Jim Titchenell OUT!! 830-563-2138 Home 830-563-7700 Cell

11-Apr-09
If you grill it where all the fat can drip off of it, it is palatable. Remove as much fat as possible.

11-Apr-09
I had some of my mouflon ram ground into burger. Lean mutton + a little fat. It is packged in 2# tubes.

Tonight was the virgin cooking of the mutton. I seasoned a 2# tube of mutton with worchester sauce, Tony Chacheire's orginal creole seasoning, and a little Montreal steak seasoning. Made Quarterpounder burgers. Cooked them over a low charcoal heat on the grill. They were delicious. The meat had a different, but mild very meaty flavor. It was very palatable.

Even my wife liked the burgers. She is an excellent cook, and a real food critic, especially wild game.

More recipes to follow.

11-Apr-09
I had some of my mouflon ram ground into burger. Lean mutton + a little fat. It is packged in 2# tubes.

Tonight was the virgin cooking of the mutton. I seasoned a 2# tube of mutton with worchester sauce, Tony Chacheire's orginal creole seasoning, and a little Montreal steak seasoning. Made Quarterpounder burgers. Cooked them over a low charcoal heat on the grill. They were delicious. The meat had a different, but mild very meaty flavor. It was very palatable.

Even my wife liked the burgers. She is an excellent cook, and a real food critic, especially wild game.

More recipes to follow.

11-Apr-09
If you have to disguise meat that much, it's pretty nasty.

11-Apr-09
This is my normal recipe for meat,fish or foul. If it is bad I adjust flavor accordingly. I gonna try your recipe on a roast next. Thanks for posting it.

12-Apr-09
It is the only animal I have been around that I absolutely wouldn't eat because of the smell I have in my memory banks. I watched Matt cape one out at Shiloh a couple years ago and after he go the skin down close to the head and he cut though its throat, this green gatorade looking bile poured out with the worst smell ever imaginable.

I would rather eat sheep droppings I think.

12-Apr-09
Tell us how you really feel, Mark! LOL!

Hey, you folks need to schedule another trip to Shiloh...SOON! :-)

Matt

12-Apr-09
just the word mutton is gross. forget it.

29-Oct-09
Corsican Ram Hind Quarter Recipe:

Take a toe of garlic and chopped it up into small pieces

Take a Corsican ram hind quarter and rubbed it liberally withed olive oil. Punched holes in hind quarter and put piece of garlic in the holes.

Take the remainder of the garlic and chop it up finely. Mix together rosemary, Montreal steak seasoning and the chopped garlic. Rub this mixture on the hind quarter.

Put hind quarter in a suitable size cooking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake 4 hrs. at 250 degrees and 4 hours at 300 degrees. The meat will literally fall off of the bone. Great taste and moist. A good juice is in the cooking dish. Season to taste with salt & pepper when served.

16-Dec-09
Get rid of as much Fat as posible first, then:

* About a pound of meat * Can of crean of anything soup * One package of powder onion soup * A few good shakes of black pepper * One large chopped onion * Veggies

Put this in a slow cooker on high for two hours, reduce to low for two hours. Add veggies (potatos, celery, carrots, etc.) for about and hour and a half or until you think the veggies are done. Salt if needed & pig out.

21-Dec-09
I will gladly share mine, many of which make it edible, but none of which make it tasty

21-Dec-09
I find when someone leads with..."It's not that bad..." and then proceeds talking about covering a flavor.

Not good.

I have eaten about as much as the guy on Bizare Foods. I'll eat something once.

Glad I got the heads up on this...

21-Dec-09
"If you have to disguise meat that much, it's pretty nasty." Tradman

+1 Mike

I don't like to waste anything but if I ever kill a brown bear or it looks like now I need to add sheep, then I'll let nature eat. I'll stick to cubed whitetail chunks wrapped in bacon.

06-Jan-10
I was taught the hard way when I was a kid. If you don't plan on eating something don't kill it. My dad made me clean a chipmunk I has shot with a 12 guage . Needless to say I was cured of that.I still use that rule. Thanks for the recipes I will try them. MRmich

06-Jan-10
MR, chipmunk aint bad, just takes a lot of em to make a meal :-)

• Sitka Gear