Grubby 25-Aug-18
Dooner 25-Aug-18
Trial153 25-Aug-18
WapitiBob 25-Aug-18
StickFlicker 25-Aug-18
Bigdan 25-Aug-18
Lever action 25-Aug-18
16-Jul-09
Though I've tried D-loops, I've always come back to shooting directly off the string. Until recently, I've always used the rubber tubing peep-aligner (sp?)- but I just put a new set of quality stings/harness on the bow, and had it set up without the tubing. I still have yet to put a hundred shots through it, but it seems to be holding its position pretty well.

My question - to those shooting the same sort of setup (presuming I'm not the only one)- once the string has had a hundred or so shots through it, will I have to worry about the peep turning wrong? or should I jump on the bandwagon and put a D-loop on to help with alignment now since I'll probably just end up doing it anyway?

16-Jul-09
I don't shoot with a D loop. I have always clipped on to the string. In my opinion it is one less thing to break or mess up in the back country. I believe a D loop is better from what I understand. I use factory bowtech strings and winners choice and I don't have much of an issue with stretch or peep twist.

16-Jul-09
better to replace d-loops in 10 minutes without a press and for 50 cents than strings with a bow press for $80.

16-Jul-09
Bou-Bound, I don't follow your statement?

16-Jul-09
fuzzy, if your D-loop breaks, not big deal. You can tie on a new one for nothing, and easily replace it in the field if needed.

If you're clamping on to your actual string, this causes extra serving wear and possible breaking of your string. Apart from possibly causing an injury, it will cost you waaaayyy more money/time/resources to replace.

Go with a D-Loop. They're cheaper and save your string from unnecessary wear.

16-Jul-09
In over 25 years shooting off the string with a Fletchunter concho I have never had a string break. If you are having the string break I would get a new release!

16-Jul-09
I guess I am "outta the loop" (no pun intended) with compounds, do they not use string serving anymore? if the serving wears, re-serve.. it's simple maintenance... why mess with an extra doo-dah?

16-Jul-09
BTW I can replace my strings in 45 seconds without a press ;-)

16-Jul-09
I used to shoot off the string, and had to have my string reserved 3-4 times a year. I now shoot of a loop. My accuracy is no better, but to me, it's one less thing to worry about.

16-Jul-09
Peep should rotate fine after breakin, only time I had an issue was a very cold day and string was frozen. I still have a habit of adjusting my peep after I attach my release, just for peace of mind.

16-Jul-09
been shooting off the string for 53 years-no problems.

16-Jul-09
I have shot off the string for 15 or so years. Never a broekn string, and I end up replacing the strings/cables before my senter servings wear out.

In terms of peep movement, if the cabling is quality you shouldn' have to worry about any peep movement once the cabling stabilizes.

16-Jul-09
nijimasu,

For sure ditch the rubber tubing.

The tubing WAS a way to deal with an antiquated problem that has been solved with better strings/cabling.

16-Jul-09
With the new bows being so short that is a good reason to shoot a d-loop or ultra nock. There is not nearly as much pinch at the nock. I have known hunters that have shot off the string with the short bows, and the nock fall off because of the pinch. Less chance of that with a loop.

16-Jul-09

Africanbowhunter's Link
For you boys that shoot off the string-

Work a few days in a pro shop before bow season and notice that almost all-the broken string come at the nockign point

Many box stores and mail order places don't take the time to tie in a "D" LOOP

Folks are right spot on when they say the D Loop prolong string life by 100% to 1500%

Thanks

TINK

17-Jul-09
Africanbowhunter is right on,I work in a shop and it amazes me how often some guys gome in to get a new serveing section replaced. The d loop is a WAY BETTER way to go.Simple, rugged, and easy to replace. But Buckstoper hit the mail right on the head with the Jim Fletcher release.I work in a shop everyday and have been around the industry for years and hands down ,no exceptions, the fletchunter is by far the easiest release on the string. I have on target bow that I shot the string out and replaced the set at a little over 35000 shots and the original loop was still in good shape.

17-Jul-09
I have NEVER had to reserve my center serving because of release wear. It is always the arrow nock that causes the wear. For string break....a loop can cause as much damage ( to the string ) under the serving as any release can....same amount of pressure in a smaller spot. Using an Eliminator button above your release against the arrow nock eliminates a large amount of the nock pinch. If you use a horizontal peep ( I use and recommend the RAD Super Deuce ), then if you get in a situation where your string needs to twist, you can just encourage it along its way and you dont have to move a loop and or press your bow to turn your peep. Loops were originally brought about to adress string rotation as an alternative to peep tubing. Everything else is byproduct. Shooting off the string is in no way inferior to using a loop. My opinion and I'm stickin to it...do as you like...R

17-Jul-09
"Shooting off the string is in no way inferior to using a loop. My opinion and I'm stickin to it."

I disagree. It's inherently inferior to the loop for the very reasons people have enumerated in this thread.

17-Jul-09
It has been a decade since I had a center serving wear out before the string material itself warranted a change. With a good quality release kept burr-free, your arrow nock will wear the serving worse than the release itself.

Folks are certianly free to have their opinions, but in many regards a D-loop is a solution to a problem that most people don't have.

17-Jul-09

leftybearfan's Link
I kind of get the best of both worlds. I shoot off the string with a Gator Jaw release. It has two sets of jaws; one above the knock and one below. Gives the benefit of a D-loop (no nock pinch) with the ease of shooting off the string. Serving wear is very minimal with this release, too.

17-Jul-09
I have two bows set up one with loop one without one with peep tube one without. The only trouble I have had is the tube breaking (easy fix in field) I do prefer the loop w/no tube though. Shoot what you like.

17-Jul-09
I'm going to agree with Buckfvr on this one. I've never had my serving wear out before the arrow nock area. I've been shooting since I can remember and every bow string I've replaced has been because of the wear from the arrow, never from the release. My bowstrings last many years and thousands of arrows before they wear out, so for me it has been a non-issue.

I bought a new string a few years back and had the same problem with the peep rotating, it is fairly common as the string is stretching slightly, after shooting a hundred arrows or so it did begin to twist slightly, I just had the proshop take a twist out of the bowstring and it settled in and I no longer have the rotation. Give it a little more time and I bet you will find the same.

My question is, why consider going back to d-loops if you've already tried it and keep going back to shooting off the string? If it works well for you and you shoot well, then just go with what feels best. I wouldn't let others opinions determine how or what you shoot.

17-Jul-09
use a ""Gator Jaw" release and no problems- this is a caliper release that attaches above the arrow and below--

20-Jul-09
Thanks for all the input guys- gives me plenty to think about!

20-Jul-09
I fell in that "you have to shoot a d loop" trap when they first came out and tried it for couple years and noticed no difference in accuracy despite struggling with a 1/2" longer draw length.I also have never "worn out" a string were my release attaches but I have worn the serving under the knock a few times.I switched back to shooting off the string and never looked back. If I was a tournament archer shooting thousands of shots yearly perhaps it would be of value, but as a bowhunter of 40+ years I've learned what works best for me.

17-Oct-09
Use a gator jaw release with a mathews reezen and it is great.

25-Aug-18
Any new opinions in the last 9 years?

25-Aug-18
I miss tink

25-Aug-18
Tink was awesome. That's one of the most legible posts I've ever read from him.

25-Aug-18
I shoot a d loop but you lose a half inch draw length. May have to try straight to string

25-Aug-18
Actually without a D loop it is “one more thing” that can go wrong, compared to shooting with a D loop. If your shooting without and something happens to your string in the field because of it, your screwed. But, if something happens to the D loop you can always improvise and shoot directly from the string if need be. Also, don’t forget why the D loop came into existence; as I understand it, it was to combat the severe pinch at the nocking point at full draw from the lower brace height bows. The loop helped keep the arrow nocked on these type of bows

25-Aug-18
If you have string failure from shooting a release on the string you are not maintaining your bow. You should replace your strings long before you have a failure. One thing not mentioned....a loop does not lend itself to quick shooting or multiple shots. A hook style release helps but you can clip on to a string with your eyes closed.

25-Aug-18
I started reading this and immediately thought tink had been hacked

25-Aug-18
"Any new opinions in the last 9 years?" I switched to a D-loop. Soon after, so did Matt. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Never had anything go wrong with any of mine. If you're new to tying them, U-Tube is a great resource.

25-Aug-18
Bowsite necropsy

25-Aug-18
We shot d loops before brace heights dropped below 8" and axle lengths went below 40. My loop is now entirely under the arrow nock; same effect as shooting off the string.

25-Aug-18
My hunting partner shot at a nice 6 x 6 bull one day, and shot him through the nose. The bull stood there with an arrow sticking out both sides of his snout, shaking his head. When I looked at him like WTF, he held up his bow to show me that his string had broken right where he nocked the arrow (in the days before D Loops were common).

D Loops protect the string, align the arrow, and rubber tubing slows down arrow flight. Go with the D Loop.

25-Aug-18

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
I use a release with a rope on it way faster than a d loop and its easy on the string

25-Aug-18
I have no issues but I don't twist the string much either.

• Sitka Gear