boothill 03-Apr-12
oldgoat 03-Apr-12
Clev 06-Mar-13
Clev 06-Mar-13
jhansen851819 06-Mar-13
Scotty 07-Mar-13
NockTaker 07-Mar-13
03-Aug-09
My thermacell will not stay lit. It will spark and I can hear the fuel hissing when it is on, but it will not stay lit, what is wrong?

03-Aug-09
Mine was dry. It was in the house all winter. We were having a cookout when I went to use it.

03-Aug-09
I had the exact same problem. I frankly don't know what was wrong, but this is what I did.

I took mine apart (careful some small parts to keep track of)and basically just blew out the parts with air. Put it back together and it works like new. Not exactly expert advice, but it worked.

03-Aug-09
are your pads and butane cell full?

03-Aug-09
in the end you can replace it if needed. The unit itself is not expensive relative to the costs to keep it running. about $23 for the unit and $20 for 24 hours of materials to run it.

it's a deal like the disposable razors. the unit itself is a bragain the replacement blades get ya.

thermacells are one of the few things that are actually BETTER than advertised.

03-Aug-09
Side question: at what altitude does Thermacell quit working?

03-Aug-09
I couldn't get mine to light after it had been in my pack after a day of hiking around. After it lay flat over night it would light up again. Very frustrating. When they work they work awesome. The highest altitude I've had it up to was between 6 and 7 thousand feet. Maybe this was indication to what elevations it started getting finicky.

03-Aug-09
butane and pads are new

03-Aug-09
Our units have worked at over 9000 ft. No problem

03-Aug-09
Well it looks like I take Bou's advice. I took it apart and now I have a wire that I have no clue where it goes? Also the sparker will not throw a spark now. I guess I really broke it now.

03-Aug-09
you say it "will not stay lit"

does that mean it lights up then goes out or it is not lighting at all?

once you switch it to "on", wait 10-15 seconds then push ignition(look in sight glass to make sure there's spark)

if no spark and no ignition, take Boubound's advice

03-Apr-12
Hey All:

My name is Josh and I work for ThermaCELL. I came upon this forum and these messages, so I wanted to reply to some of the concerns expressed. We certainly stand behind our products and are happy to repair or replace any malfunctioning units that you have.

Many times if you let the gas flow for two minutes before igniting this will ‘clean out’ the unit and fix the problem. We would urge you to try this on your ThermaCELLs first. If the units are still not working, please send it to: ThermaCELL, 26 Crosby Drive, Bedford MA 01730. Do not include any cartridges or repellent mats. Please fill out the return form (http://www.thermacell.com/sites/default/files/thermacell_return_repair_form.pdf) and include this in your package. Make sure you include your return address. We'll either fix your ThermaCELL and send it back, or send a new one.

Also, in regards to the elevation questions, Most ThermaCELL appliances and lanterns will not work well at higher elevations. At altitudes above 4,500 feet, most units become difficult to start and run. The lower air density causes the problem. If you are having trouble using your ThermaCELL at high elevation, it is probably not a defective appliance, but just a limitation of the product at high elevation. If you plan to use your ThermaCELL only at high elevations, you may be interested in the Mini Mosquito Repellent Lantern – 2006 Model (http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent/specials/mini-mosquito-repellent-lantern-2006-model). It functions well at higher altitudes, and must be lit with a match.

If you are affected by this altitude product limitation and have no use for your ThermaCELL at lower elevations, you may return the product for a full refund. Email [email protected] or call toll free 1-866-753-3837 for instructions.

I apologize for the inconvenience and I want to stress that we value all customer feedback and that we stand behind our product. We look forward to getting you some working ThermaCELLs.

Any questions or concerns - please private message me.

03-Apr-12
A company with a great product, that stands behind it, wow, rare these days! Thanks guys for your product.

03-Apr-12
Cool!

03-Apr-12
Josh, I have used mine at 10,000 ft with no problems!

03-Apr-12
I've used mine at about 10,000 feet. up there it is a struggle to get it lite but once its started it works fine.

I've found I have to light it as soon as its turned on or else there is too much fuel for the amount of oxygen and it won't burn.

still happy with it, just would be better if there was a way to light it with a match. debated removing the little window but figured that might cause other problems.

03-Apr-12
bou'bound - hit the nail on the head - better than advertised!

I used mine last year at about 8,500 feet in a light mist and it worked great. The bugs were so bad it was either light it or go back to camp.

Thanks Josh, great product!

03-Apr-12
If mine broke, I'd buy another in a heartbeat! Great product. Better than advertised.

03-Apr-12
Bou,

Here is a clip to save you some money. This is not me but I use the same method. I also have a way to refill the pads that works great. I plan to do a video of my own very soon that shows both how to refill the fuel cells and the pads as well.

I can refill a fuel cell about 4-5 times for around $3.00 and refill a pad well over 100 times for around $5.00

03-Apr-12
I thought their warranty was only 1 year or so. I had one that never did light very well and ended up throwing it away and got a new one. Guess I should of contactged them first. Good to know they will stand behind the product like that.

03-Apr-12
I've had oldstyle ones working at pretty high altitudes, New style with rotating on off switch barely lights in Denver.

06-Mar-13
After losing my older one I replaced it with the newer rotating knob style. It took me awhile to figure it out but I realized the flame would go out if the unit is bumped or knocked. Simply dropping it an inch onto concrete was enough to knockout the flame. So, simply lighting it and then putting it down would mess it up. Hope this helps someone. Not really sure what the fix for this is. Josh, do you still work for thermacell?

06-Mar-13
After losing my older one I replaced it with the newer rotating knob style. It took me awhile to figure it out but I realized the flame would go out if the unit is bumped or knocked. Simply dropping it an inch onto concrete was enough to knockout the flame. So, simply lighting it and then putting it down would mess it up. Hope this helps someone. Not really sure what the fix for this is. Josh, do you still work for thermacell?

06-Mar-13
My new style doesn't really like to light at all(live at 1000 feet of elevation). It sits on a shelf most hunts. Granted, I haven't tried to solve this problem.

07-Mar-13

Scotty's Link
I also cured the no start problem by carefully disassembling my Thermacell appliance and cleaning it. I used “Super Quick Clean Guns” as a solvent/cleaner and compressed air to blow it completely dry. I also ran a pipe cleaner up and down the “barrel”. I also experimented with bending the “spark wire” in different positions to produce optimal spark. I also found that once you modify the butane cells as in the video above, they give a more even and consistent fuel flow, which in turn gives better performance including starting the appliance.

Above is a link to what I use to refill the pads. I just mix it 6 parts distilled water to one part Permathrin and then put the mix in an eye dropper bottle and put a few drops on my pads whenever they “run out”. This works great at only pennies per application.

07-Mar-13
I had (2) that the on & off button broke .whats up with that? I got pissed and put them in trash!

• Sitka Gear