delliott 11-Jan-10
elkcrzy1 11-Jan-10
city hunter 11-Jan-10
Bill in MI 11-Jan-10
Bill in MI 11-Jan-10
Hunt cell 01-Aug-13
Oneinrut 18-Aug-21
07-Jan-10
I am thinking of applying for Unit 113 in Wyoming for Elk. Has anyone hunted this unit?

07-Jan-10
With less than 1% draw odds and tags only available every 3 years, it will be tough to find someone who has.

07-Jan-10
Is this an anterless only tag?

07-Jan-10
Not this year. This year will be an excellent hunt for those who draw the bull tag.

08-Jan-10
I have max points and I am looking to apply and think that the draw odds should be pretty good with max points

08-Jan-10
A little off topic, but when do the Wyoming draw result and $ returns come out?

Toro

08-Jan-10
Odds will be horrible, 1% at best, same as 2007 when we already had a points system. It is listed as one of the top units in huntin' fool, which pretty much assures every guy who never heasrd of it and could not find it on a map will apply.

When will the bowhunt for the the tag be valid, given that the rifle hunt is November, instyesd of October? Wondering if late type 1 tags have different archery dates than early type 1 tags.

08-Jan-10
This unit (and how it is open for the first time in years) got mentioned several times in the recent Huntin' Fool. I think it will get a pile of applications - posts like this won't help either!

08-Jan-10
In answer to a few questions, historically archery season for Area 113 has been 1-30 Sep, even with the 5 November rifle opener. Even though this year's dates have not been set yet, I suspect they won't change.

Tentative draw date for elk is 23 Feb, with results available by phone or the Wyo G&F website on 28 Feb. Many times they draw a little early, but these dates should be close.

Like a couple stated, this is a very tough tag to draw. In 2007, during the regular PP draw, odds were 1.03% The Special PP draw was even worse at .51%. With all the publicity, it could be real ugly this year. But,like they say, someone has to draw. Good luck.

08-Jan-10
Odds are horrible even with max points...probably about 1%

08-Jan-10
Now that the point system has been in place for 4 years, is there any way to know how many people have max points since many of them should have drawn most areas with 2 or 3 for elk?

08-Jan-10
There are 7,305 non-residents that have max PP's going into this year's draw.

08-Jan-10
Wow, thats alot.

08-Jan-10
I already know of many who are putting in for 113 this year! The odds will be a lot less than one percent, and there are some mining trespass issues to consider, but someone has to draw, so let us know how it works for you.

08-Jan-10
good luck drawing that tag, u have better odds hitting the power ball,good choice though.

09-Jan-10
actually odds for 113 are way good compared to powerball(1 in 195,249,054)Good luck Zoller!

09-Jan-10
Like Robb says, "ya gotta believe!"

10-Jan-10
Mike, I think the odds are about the same as drawing A S-32 sheep tag!! Oh yeah, you drew that one last year didn't you? Never mind. Just let me know how the hunt goes in 113 then would ya.

Rick M

11-Jan-10
I enjoy reading the posts on this site. This is my first ever post. I drew a tag in 2007 and killed a bull. I saw two other bowhunters. Not sure how they did. Season Sept. 1-30. Odd country for elk. Best day saw over 30 bulls. Saw more bulls than cows. Cow calls were very effective. For elk country terrian is easy. Good luck.

11-Jan-10
AHH! Delliott is proof that drawing can be done!

11-Jan-10
delliot, Did you have any land access problems?

11-Jan-10
I didn't have access problems. I had just retired and moved to Sheridan, from N.C. The regional biologist goes to my church. That helped plus I spent considerable time scouting . I met a rancher and got permission on some deeded land. That was a plus, however most of the elk are on public land, and by studing maps good acess. By the way it was my second elk hunt and first elk. Good learning experience,and since have been succsssful in the bighorns. THe lord has truly blessed me. My wife suports my passion,and I,m still healthy enough to pursue my passion of bowhunting in some of the best country on earth. Also stricker with the wonderful photos'[see yellowstone] goes to my church.

11-Jan-10
You are truly livin' the dream, delliott! Good for you!

11-Jan-10
delliott congras onm your move out west and your elk

why as a nonres would u put in for this unit odds are so bleak

11-Jan-10
I moved to Wyoming after taking early retirement in 2004. Thus I applied as a resident. If I remenber correctly there was only about a 5% chance as a resident. As stated earlier,odd habitat for elk ,especially compared to Bighorns, but I understand they were originally prarie animals so I guess tne Thunder Basin Grasslands is natural. Good luck to all.

11-Jan-10
I think everyone should put in for 113 myself !!! Its awesome !! Just do it, you cant go wrong with huge bulls everywhere and piece of cake to draw too.

11-Jan-10
yes listen to elkcrazy the rut has got him going ,, yes put in for this i heard u can shoot 380 class bulls easy ...

11-Jan-10
LOL this is funny, having not suscribed to the HF this year I didn't know that 113 made the cut. And I thought this hunt was going to be off the publication radar as Eastmans left it out... wishful thinking ha!

But read up...The problem, according to the regional bioligist, is that there are too many bulls, the ratio is too high. I really think this is a terrible thing and I will go on record and tell all you guys that you shouldn't apply here and have to deal with such a horrible, horrible situation. Definatly apply elsewhere. All the bulls will be broken up and mostly dead from the fighting before you get there, an awful situation for sure.

Thx Bill in MI

11-Jan-10
On the other hand, threads like this tell me where not to apply...lol.

Bill in MI

01-Aug-13
They don't get broke.up till beginning last week of sept. so should be good for 3 weeks

18-Aug-21
Hi thread. Would it be a good choice to look at 113 with a governors tag? Thx

• Sitka Gear